z

Young Writers Society


16+

Xynophen

by tigeraye


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

The table was all set, topped off with ceramic plates, knives, forks and whatever food you could possibly come to think of; biscuits, ham, wine, mashed potatoes, and even a pepperoni pizza. Samuel Talbone’s dark green eyes surveyed the table one final time, being meticulously certain that he did not forget a thing. Everything is perfect, he thought to himself, straightening his brown suit jacket and combing his short brown hair with his fingers.

The doorbell rang, and Samuel cleared the dust out of his throat. “Coming!” he yelled in his slight Irish accent. He shuffled to the front door and opened it up. “Stacy? You’re rarely to anything early,” he said to the tall, brown-eyed brunette.

She fixed her long, bushy hair and smiled devilishly. “What? Is there some sort of issue with doing something different for once? Taking a new approach to the way you live your life? You act as if doing something to defy a reputation is always a bad thing. Anyway, I’m here for good food and a drink, not to talk philosophy with you. What do you got?”

“Actually…I was wondering if you could wait until everyone is here before getting a drink,” Samuel replied as the two walked into the kitchen. There were seven glasses that sat side by side on the counter.

“Oh, you already poured us all drinks, I see…always extra prepared, aren’t you, Sam?”

Just then, the door bell rang again. “Coming!” Samuel yelled, before turning his head towards Stacy Martin. “Take a seat.”

He headed towards the front door and opened it, revealing an obese man wearing black framed glasses and a white dress shirt with black slacks. “Hello!” he said in a gruff and tough voice. “Samuel Talbone!”

“Evening, boss,” Samuel said. “Come in, have a seat at the table.”

“I think I’ll do just that!” the boss said, before starting towards the kitchen. “I suppose the drinks are laid out just as I requested them to be?”

“Yes, boss. Just as you requested.”

“Good, good!” he said as Samuel shut back the door. “This will be a most…interesting evening. Oh, why, hello there, Stacy!”

Stacy Martin walked past the boss as he hurried into the kitchen. “Excuse me, Sam, but could you let me know where the restroom is?”

The door bell rang again. “Uh…up the stairs and the first door on the right.”

“Thanks!” she said as she walked off, leaving Samuel to open the door again.

“Ah, Ted and Billy!” Samuel greeted the redheaded man and his seventeen-year-old son.

“Let’s just get this over with,” Ted said, storming into Samuel’s home. “Where are the drinks?”

“Uh…they will be ready in just a minute, we’re waiting for everyone to get here,” Samuel said as he shut the door. “Bosses orders, not mine.”

“But I want a drink now!” Billy Charn complained, stomping his feet on the ground. “You can’t stop me!”

“How old are you?” Samuel asked as the doorbell rang once more.

“Sevent-”

“That’s what I thought. Happy seventh birthday,” Samuel said as he opened the door once again. “Ah, Mr. and Mrs. River!”

The wrinkly, bald old man and his even older wife stood outside the door, dressed in manila suits and red ties. “Damn, it’s cold out here,” Frank said.

“Frankie! How many times do I have to remind you? Watch your language!” Ellen said as the married couple stepped into the house.

“Yes, especially in front of seven-year-olds,” Samuel jested as he shut the door.

“Well, looks like the gangs all here,” Stacy commented as she walked back into the living room. “Shall we take our seats?”

Samuel, Ted, Billy, Frank, Ellen and Stacy all walked into the kitchen where the boss stood, pouring an expensive wine into a tall glass. “Ah, good! I take it that everyone is here?”

“Everyone except…uh boss, I already poured the drink and it looked like you…dumped them all out.”

The boss cackled. “Absolutely correct! Here! Who wants the first drink?” he asked, raising the glass of expensive wine into the air. “You won’t get vintage like this every day!”

“I’ll take it. I swear I feel like I’m dying of thirst,” Stacy said, snatching the cup from the bosses hand and swigging down the wine, as the door bell rang once again.

The door bell rang once more. “I’ll get i-” Samuel started.

“No, I’ll get it,” Billy interrupted. “It’s the least I could do for you for being the only one to wish me a happy birthday. Save your leg energy.”

He started towards the front door. “Why did we invite him?” Samuel asked.

“It’s actually his birthday…?” Ted pondered.

Billy Charn opened the door, where a short black woman stood, dressed in a purple dress, her hair filled with jewels. “Oh, hey there…you’re…Sam’s son, aren’t you?” Elizabeth Gouten asked.

“Actually, no I’m…yes. Yes, I am Sam’s son,” he said, shutting the door and smiling.

“I hope you didn’t mind, Samuel, but you only pulled seven cups out when there are eight of us,” the boss said. “So I went and pulled out this fancy white mug.”

“Uh…that’s fine, boss,” Samuel replied.

The eight of them all ate together, enjoying good food and good company. Their meals were virtually the same apart from Billy, who ate six slices of pizza. Billy and Ted were the only two of the eight who did not drink alcoholic beverages on that night; Billy due to his young age, and Ted due to his previous battles with alcoholism. The son and father drank root beer and iced water, respectively. Stacy finished her cup of expensive wine that she watched the boss pour. Samuel drank a costly beer, brewed and imported from Ireland.

“Is everyone finished eating?” the boss asked, having not taken a sip of his white mug the entire dinner. He pulled his chair out from under the table, reaching into his pants pocket. “Good.”

“Headed somewhere so soon, boss?” Elizabeth asked, taking a final sip from her bourbon, clearing the glass.

The boss cackled and pulled out something black from the pocket of his slacks. “Here!” he yelled, placing a ticking timer on the table. It was counting down from thirty at a moderately quick pace. “I’m sure you all know, but our work has been disgraceful as of late. There has been no quality teamwork, no trust in one another. Nobody thinks outside the box anymore. None of you look out for one another, you all are in it for yourselves.”

“That’s not true at all sir,” Samuel said. “We all just want what’s best for each other. You know that.”

“I always say that I want you all to be willing to take a bullet for one another. Our line of work demands it.”

“…Sir, what are you…” Stacy started, the timer continuing to count down from thirty in a bright red font.

“I slipped a rare poison in one of the drinks,” the boss said. “It’s a silent killer. It works fast, and without leaving a mark. In less than thirty minutes, one person at this table will drop dead. Unless…they swallow the antidote.”

“Where’s the antidote? Give it here!” Frank said, having drank the same beer that Samuel enjoyed.

“Frank! You don’t know that it’s you! It…it can’t be…no! I can’t lose you!” Ellen shouted.

The boss reached into his pocket once more, pulling out a plastic sandwich bag with a single white pill inside. “This is the antidote. There’s enough for one person to be cured. I will be nearby when you figure out who drank the poison.”

He dropped the bagged pill onto the table before walking out of the kitchen.

The seven of them all took a long pause, looking anxiously around the table. “So…who knows anything about poison?” Samuel asked.

“This is probably just a joke,” Ted said. “I mean come on, boss isn’t gonna poison one of us. The man is bluffing.”

“When has the boss ever lied to any of us?” Stacy asked. “He’s the most honest guy I’ve ever known, really.”

“That’s a good point,” Samuel said. “So once again…none of you were poison experts? What about you, Lizzy? Didn’t you used to be a cop?”

“Yes, a beat cop. Not a poison cop,” Elizabeth rebutted.

“Well, Stacy can’t be poisoned, can she? We saw the boss pouring the drink!” Ellen pointed out.

“That’s a good point…except he could have slipped the poison into the bottle and then poured it,” Ted remarked.

“Baseless conjecture is going to get us absolutely nowhere,” Stacy said, now tapping buttons on her phone. “Hand me the pill.”

“Why? Are you going to eat it and leave one of us to die?” Frank asked.

“Just hand me the pill!” Stacy shouted.

Billy sighed and grabbed the plastic bag, handing it over to Stacy. “Thank you,” she said, opening the bag and placing the pill on the table.

“What are you doing with that?” Frank asked.

Stacy sighed. “I have an app on my phone. You can scan a pill and it will analyze it, compare it to a catalog of hundreds of thousands. It will tell us what it is, and that will at least give us a lead.”

“Heh. You know what they say about technology these days, huh?” Samuel remarked.

“Shh!” The group stayed in silence as Stacy snapped a picture of the pill. “It’s uploading…”

“What does it say?” Ted asked.

Stacy carefully analyzed the text on her smartphone screen, carefully but quickly taking in the information her app awarded her. “…The pill is called Xynophen Antidote. Worth over two million dollars and only found in the world’s most prestigious medical labs, the pill is the world’s only known cure for the rare and deadly poison known as Xynophen.”

“So the poison is called Xynophen,” Elizabeth said. “That’s a good start.”

“How did the boss get his hands on a two-millon-dollar pill?” Samuel asked, perplexed at the entire situation.

“Two million! Forget the poison! We should let one of us die, and the rest of us sell it!” Frank exclaimed.

“Frank!” Ellen yelled. “We…we can’t do that!”

“I’m not sure how much of a market there will be for a rare antidote that was probably stolen to begin with,” Stacy said. “Let’s just work on finding a cure. I’ll look up information on Xynophen.”

Samuel looked around the table before his eyes gazed upon the pill, as everyone else sat in silence, waiting for Stacy to come up with more information. “You know…I was just BSing before with the whole teamwork thing but…man, I don’t want any of you to die.” He looked over to Billy, who had taken back his seat after handing Stacy the pill. “Not even you, Billy, not even you. Like, I am really sorry about saying you were only seven. It’s just…you annoy me sometimes and I’m not even sure why you’re here-”

“It says here that the only way for Xynophen to work is for it to dissolve in alcohol,” Stacy interrupted. “Otherwise…it’s just a hard pill and swallowing it in pill form doesn’t do anything. It dissolves in alcohol, but nothing else.”

“Alright, so did anyone here not drink alcohol?” Elizabeth asked.

“I didn’t…I guess that means I’m…I’m fine,” Ted said. “And…Billy…”

“I…I…”

“Alright, so I take back what I said. You still haven’t hit puberty, Billy,” Samuel interrupted. “Billy and Ted are clear. So there’s me, Stacy, Frank and Ellen and Elizabeth.”

“Unless the boss poisoned himself,” Ted said.

“Don’t be stupid,” Stacy rebutted. “The man is a multi-billionaire and one of the chairmen of the Never Say Suicide Foundation. Plus, he hardly trust us at all. I doubt he’s going to leave his life up to us handing him the antidote.”

“Yeah, and I never even saw him take a drink out of that mug,” Samuel pointed out. “That leaves us five. What else have you found out about the poison, Stacy?”

“Actually, yes, I did. The poison seemingly has no effect on women older than sixty-five.”

“That means…that means I’m safe!” Ellen yelled.

“But what about me? What about men over sixty-five?” Frank complained, rising from the table. “You know what? Give me that pill!”

“Frank! Sit down!” Ellen shouted, pulling her husband by the arm and back into his seat.

He clutched the side of his back in pain. “You broke my rib! I’m gonna need two million dollars worth of pill to pay for the surgery!”

“So who does that leave?” Ted asked. “Just…Sam, Stacy, Elizabeth and Frank, right? Anything else?”

“There’s one more thing, but it’s sort of stupid,” Stacy said before putting her phone back into her pocket.

“What? What is it? We’ve got twenty minutes left, nothing is stupid. Spit it out, Stacy,” Samuel demanded.

Stacy giggled. “Well…it says here that Xynophen also doesn’t affect…pregnant women.” She snickered again.

“What’s so funny about that?” Samuel asked, looking across the table at Elizabeth. “Lizzy? You expecting a child you won’t tell us about?”

“I wish, if it meant I’m not dying in nineteen minutes,” she said.

“Alright, this is ridiculous,” Frank said, clutching his back and slowly rising from the table. “Why don’t we stop this garbage and just decide who deserves the pill the most, huh?”

“I think we should just keep our process of elimination going,” Ted said. “We only have what…four or five people left, right?”

“Yeah, just Samuel, Frank and Elizabeth,” Stacy blurted out.

“Yeah…wait, what? What about you?” Samuel asked as her face began to turn bright pink

“That…that wasn’t supposed to come out,” Stacy replied. “Well…uh, you remember when I said that pregnant women aren’t affected by the poison?”

“You’re…you’re not seriously saying…!” Before Samuel could come up with more words, Stacy marched out of the kitchen. “Stacy! Stacy!” he shouted, chasing after her.

“Well, if her royal highness is expecting, that leaves just me, him and you, Frank,” Elizabeth said. “Shall we have a little fight over the pill?”

The old man turned and started towards the pill. “Frank! No!” Ellen yelled, grabbing her husband.

Ted and Billy grabbed Elizabeth, who kicked and pulled, trying for the pill. With an elbow to Ted’s nose, she broke their grip and jolted for the pill, successfully grabbing it and popping it in her mouth. “You’re gonna kill us all!” Frank shouted.

“It needs water to wash it down,” Elizabeth said as she hurried to the counter, nearly knocking the empty beer bottle that Samuel’s drink came out of. “Wait a minute!”

“What is it?” Ted asked, holding his face in pain.

“Heh…ho. Looks like we found our answer,” she said, beginning to pour a glass of water into an empty mug.

“Our…answer?” Ted asked.

Elizabeth nodded and swallowed the antidote. “This beer…it isn’t beer at all. Come and read the bottom of the label.”

She handed the empty bottle to Frank, who handed it off to Billy. “You read it! I need my glasses…”

Billy carefully examined the bottom of the bottle label, where the fine text said “Non-alcoholic beverage.”

“Well…Sammy and I had the same drink!” Frank exclaimed. “The same beer…”

“So, if it’s not alcoholic,” Ellen said.

“We’re both…we’re both safe! Oh, oh, Ellen! We’re safe!” Frank cheered.

“So…that leaves just me,” Elizabeth said. “Guess I was right swallowing the antidote, huh? I might have overreacted, but in the end, it was the right move. Let’s go tell the boss.”

“There’s something you guys should know,” Billy suddenly said as everyone readied to leave the kitchen. “Miss Elizabeth? You remember during the dinner when you had to go to the restroom?”

Elizabeth nodded. “Yes, my child, I do remember that. And your point being?”

“Well…while you were gone and nobody was paying attention…I took a sip of your drink.”

“You…you what!?” Ted’s heart was set on fire at his son’s words. “We need to get you to the hospital! There’s only fifteen minutes left before…before…!”

“I’m really scared dad! I don’t wanna die!”

“It should be fine, it should be fine,” Frank said. “We’ll just go and tell the boss befo-”

“You guys have to come, quick! The boss is dead!” Samuel yelled.

The group of dinner-goers stared blankly at each other, before they all scrambled into the living room. There he lay, slouched over on the couch, deader than dirt.

“That doesn’t make sense! He said he poisoned one of us!” Frank yelled.

“No he didn’t,” Stacy reminded him. “All he said was…in less than thirty minutes, one person at this table will drop dead. He never excluded himself.”

“But the timers not even out yet! That wasn’t thirty minutes!” Ted complained.

Stacy shook her head. “Remember what he said. In less than thirty minutes, one person at this table will drop dead. He didn’t say exactly thirty…he didn’t say anything about the timer at all. He said we had less than thirty minutes, and we did.”

“But what about all that stuff about the suicide club or whatever it was?” Elizabeth asked. “I thought you said he’d never do this?”

“And I thought I never wanted children,” Stacy rebutted. “I guess however you look at it, he was right all along.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 1425
Reviews: 104

Donate
Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 pm
View Likes
Holiday30 wrote a review...



Okay, It's not heartbeat academy, but all and all you might have wrote another great story. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time I read your story. I was guessing the boss poisoned, but you threw me off track with, "“Don’t be stupid,” Stacy rebutted. “The man is a multi-billionaire and one of the chairmen of the Never Say Suicide Foundation. Plus, he hardly trust us at all. I doubt he’s going to leave his life up to us handing him the antidote.”" This was a great disguise for this story because with this info we left the boss alone, but at the end he really did poison himself. I also loved what Stacy said at the end, which makes me believe she already knew the boss killed himself, but I will leave that to speculate among everyone else.




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 574
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:19 am
micamouth wrote a review...



Hello tiger! I usually don't like many mystery stories, but this was right up my street. Very well planned and plotted, and the clues you planted earlier on were cleverly hidden. Now for the nitpicking! >:)

She fixed her long, bushy hair and smiled devilishly. “What? Is there some sort of issue with doing something different for once?"


The way you word this makes her tone clash with her clear emotions. If she smiles devilishly, that means she's not happy as such, but playful. However, the way she says what is highlighted above makes her sound offended and irritated. Perhaps changing it to something like "Is there a problem with..." or "I didn't think you'd mind if I started..." (without the question mark for that one) it would make more sense and sound natural.

He headed towards the front door and opened it, revealing an obese man wearing black framed glasses and a white dress shirt with black slacks.

Try and avoid using obese here. Obese is more of a medical term, and there's a lot of things you can do with this. You could use metaphors, similes, or just some fabulous adjectives. You could even do something like "rather rotund" and put some consonance in there (I believe that's what it's called).

“Well, looks like the gangs all here,” Stacy commented as she walked back into the living room.

There should be an apostrophe between 'g' and 's'. I'm sorry, this is probably the most nitpicky thing ever o.o

“Everyone except…uh boss, I already poured the drink and it looked like you…dumped them all out.”


Okay, I'm not highlighting because the issue is with the whole line - most of it, anyway.
You seem to be rather fond of ellipsis and while ellipsis are good in moderation, they're good in moderation. The problem is that you've used too many to be able to spread them out. Use more adverbs and adjectives to describe their voices, say it out loud and question your use of ellipsis in this piece of dialogue, etc.
Now, to fix this line, you would want to scrap all the ellipsis. Yeah. All of them. I'd probably say in this situation, "Everyone except - uh, boss? I already poured the drinks. Did you empty them all out?" No need for ellipsis.

I'll leave you to edit this for today. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, you could be the next Agatha Christie if you wrote a full novel like this! Just cut down on your ellipsis usage or I'll send you to punctuation fitness classes ;)




tigeraye says...


thanks. I'm working on the ellipses thing.



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 4915
Reviews: 172

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:04 pm
RagingLive wrote a review...



Why, hello again, tigeraye!! RagingLive here to review your short story!

I love old mystery shows and radio broadcasts and often I go on binge readings of books such as Perry Mason and Agatha Christie. That is what this short reminds me of. For it being a shorter time to develop characters, I felt as though I knew everyone at the dinner party, you did an excellent job!

Everything is perfect, he thought to himself, straightening his brown suit jacket and combing his short brown hair with his fingers.

This is a good sentence, but I feel as though it would make more sense if you said:
"straightening his brown suit jacket and combing through his short brown hair with his fingers."
This just ironed it out a bit for me, so I'm sure it will for other readers.

The doorbell rang, and Samuel cleared the dust out of his throat. "Coming!” he yelled in his slight Irish accent.

Here when you reference dirt in his throat, I became a little confused. If you just said "and Samuel cleared his throat before yelling, "Coming!" in his slight Irish accent."
Also, this smooths it out so that we don't have a bunch of chopped up descriptions intermingled with tiny bits of dialogue.

“What? Is there some sort of issue with doing something different for once? Taking a new approach to the way you live your life? You act as if doing something to defy a reputation is always a bad thing. Anyway, I’m here for good food and a drink, not to talk philosophy with you. What do you got?”

Good dialogue, and through their words, I get the feeling that they know each other fairly well. You might want Stacy to call Samuel by his name though, just to frame the picture, so to speak.
"You act as if doing something to defy a reputation is a bad thing, Samuel"
And, if she is as childish and witty as she seems, she might want to call him by a cute nickname, like "Sammy" or "Sam-I-Am"

“Actually…I was wondering if you could wait until everyone is here before getting a drink,”

Remember what I said about the ellipses? Don't fret, though. Everyone has their weaknesses. (Mine are commas, but don't tell anyone - not because they don't know, but because they might recount a horror story for you!)

“Coming!” Samuel yelled, before turning his head towards Stacy Martin. “Take a seat.”

Maybe mention her last name nearer to the beginning when you were recounting her description. Here it's out of place and rather distracting.

“Uh…up the stairs and the first door on the right.”

Unless it took him about 3-5 seconds to remember where the bathroom in his own house was, a hyphen might serve better than ellipses.

Samuel, Ted, Billy, Frank, Ellen and Stacy all walked into the kitchen where the boss stood, pouring an expensive wine into a tall glass.

This is a mouthful of names to say all at once. Maybe Samuel should just 'usher' them all into the kitchen.
Also, a kitchen seems an odd place to hold a dinner party and Samuel seems quite distinguished. Maybe they should hold it in a dining room adjacent to the kitchen?

I have to say that you surprised me at the end, and I thoroughly enjoyed this short story! I will definitely have to keep checking up on you so that I can read more of your writing!!

Keep writing and keep on smiling! :)
~RagingLive




tigeraye says...


Thanks for the review. Don't think I'm going to be doing edits to this, but I've been entertaining the idea of doing a sequel to this, actually, only as a script instead of a short story.

Good dialogue, and through their words, I get the feeling that they know each other fairly well. You might want Stacy to call Samuel by his name though, just to frame the picture, so to speak.


Thanks. I was hoping someone would pick up on the irony of her speech about "defying reputations" before the boss defies his reputation by poisoning himself.

Unless it took him about 3-5 seconds to remember where the bathroom in his own house was, a hyphen might serve better than ellipses.


Uh, it was a newly bought house x_x



RagingLive says...


Oops, guess I missed that!
I would love to see a sequel!



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:55 am
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here to make the requested review! :D

To start off, I want to talk about a short story and the instances where it has many characters. Many characters mean more work to develop them, and it can't be done with a short story this long. I have no considerable connections with all of them. Well, I do have some guesses on Samuel's personality based on this:

The table was all set, topped off with ceramic plates, knives, forks and whatever food you could possibly come to think of; biscuits, ham, wine, mashed potatoes, and even a pepperoni pizza. Samuel Talbone’s dark green eyes surveyed the table one final time, being meticulously certain that he did not forget a thing. Everything is perfect, he thought to himself, straightening his brown suit jacket and combing his short brown hair with his fingers.


This paragraph screams to me that he's a perfectionist. This kind of showing is what needed for other characters - Stacy, Elizabeth, Ted, Ellen, Frank, the boss, and Billy. These take efforts. The only reason it seems for their appearances are their involvement in the elimination process. Stacy has a bit of character development but it is not much. If you develop her character as much as you have Samuel, I would like her more than I am now.

Because of that, I have issue on what to focus on the story. How they are not united, not in this together, and how some of them prioritize themselves first before others seem forced. I hope you can lean back, try reading your story, and see if the pace is rushed or not. To me, it is.

Dialogues make an effective tool to tell us about the characters but abundance of it would make use confuse the character's personality. More body languages that follow the abundance of dialogues here would help you shape the characters, and further assist you on how to work with them all. When you work out their personalities, you can figure out their relationship with each other, and from there you can create the reasons why they can't trusth each other.

However, I do think the idea is brilliant - about the pill, the antidote, and the way to make them trust each other again. I just hope you can execute those things more smoothly. You got the creativity to make it done. Keep up the good job!




tigeraye says...


Thanks for the review, I appreciate it. Yeah, I'll concede to it being rushed - I wrote it in about an hour. The next story I upload will definitely be more fleshed out, especially the characters. Thanks again mate!



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 365
Reviews: 9

Donate
Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:53 pm
KyotoMylo10 wrote a review...



Quite frankly this suspense thriller put coupons on the idea of slight-of-hand. Not only did the occurrences happen quicker than I could keep up, but they lacked the ineffectiveness of some of the far-fetched descriptions of the characters. When I read a suspense thriller I don't want a collection of passive sentences trying to play to my emotions. I want to feel moved. I want to be part of the action. With this short, the breadcrumbs were hardly even breadcrumbs; more like, molecules and amoebas that are impossible to see. But I digress; a reader may enjoy reading this piece, if they feel like taking in a mindless, passive short that's a wanna-be suspense thriller. I applaud the effort.




tigeraye says...


Hi, thanks for the review. I guess what you're saying is to work on pacing, which I agree I'll try to do. I appreciate it a bunch.



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 6950
Reviews: 91

Donate
Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm
burninhell wrote a review...



I completely loved this, the tension that you managed to mix in, along with the suspense left me clinging to your every word. All the way through I found myself making assumptions about what was going to happen at the end, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that none of my predictions were right. I thought that maybe one of them would die, but I also hoped that they would be able to figure it out before someone did.
The twist at the end made this a million times more interesting, sure it was also unpleasant, but I am also kind of glad that it wasnt one of the people who remained at the table as they were all very likable characters.
So, to stop me blabbering on about how much I liked this I'm just going to say that it was awesome! Keep writing and I'll keep reading. :)




tigeraye says...


hey thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I didn't know the ending myself until half way through, I started writing it with just a premise and decided what was going to happen after the characters were all established.



burninhell says...


Yeah, I liked your ending, it was a nice twist :)



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 466
Reviews: 37

Donate
Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:30 pm
shaon wrote a review...



Hello...

Haven't read something this mysterious and intelligent from someone who's not a well-known author. to put it simply, this story reminded me strongly of the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I mean the elimination of all the possibilities of a situation to a single plausible answer was really engaging.

If you're into writing sensational literature, I will definitely applaud your efforts, because, this work was amazing.

also, the description of the scenario, the portrayal of the human emotions and their reactions was worth the read. and the subtle revelations were great. the story was short and simple but good and satisfactory.

keep up the great work.




tigeraye says...


Thanks, I appreciate it a bunch. I guess I like writing more contemporary fiction. Most of my stories have been with younger characters, normally ages 13-16 so this was something different for me.




cron
We do have funerals for the living. They're called birthday parties.
— Jill Biden (fictitiously), Hope Never Dies