z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Cancer

by tigeraye


“Afternoon. Did my tests come in?” Wally Miller asked, following the petite nurse through the halls of her office, the working ladies who normally smiled and waved at him wearing long scowls under their noses.

The nurse frowned and sighed, motioning for him to come into room C. “Wait right here,” she said. “Dr. Cense will be right with you.”

Laura Cense – thirty years of practice as a physician, and yet she never had the displeasure of performing one of the hardest tasks for a doctor to do. She considered herself lucky, as if the great god above had answered her prayers for her to never need to say the three dreadful words. Here it was, seeming that God had turned his eyes. The nurse shyly approached the middle-aged doctor, dressed in a long white jacket, her long gray hair wrapped up in a pony-tail. “Excuse me?” she asked.

Dr. Cense turned around towards the nurse; her thick, furry brows rising to the tip of her bangs. “Yes? Is he in?” she asked, her large, crusty lips stirring sorrowfully with each word she said.

The nurse nodded. “Are you going to tell him?”

Dr. Cense had it on her mind ever since the start of that workday. When the same nurse handed her off the lab results, she couldn’t believe her eyes. She read the paper. Then, she read it again. She read it a third time, she still couldn’t believe it. There was no mistake about it.

Cancer. Such a powerful word. Such a horrible disease, and yet, did she not become a doctor to help people with horrible diseases? Is it really too late to do anything? Can she not help him?

Cancer is a time bomb, permanently strapped to the back of a person’s back, filling those around them with grief and misery. It takes skill, precision and skill luck to get rid of it before the explosion. But if you don’t notice it in time…it’s too late to do anything.

“I’ll tell him.” Dr. Cense excused the young nurse, putting her hand on the doorknob to room C. She shut her eyes, taking a deep breath, holding back tears. Got to be strong, got to be strong, she said to herself. It was only a couple weeks ago; she was at the water park with him, his beautiful wife Crystal, and his four-year-old daughter, Katie. Such a fun loving, every day man. The kind of man who nobody could say a bad word about. Cancer is a monster; nice, mean, young, old, fat, thin, poor, rich – cancer doesn’t care. It goes after who it wants, ripping them apart, killing them without any remorse. And the ones in the white jackets are the only ones ready for slaying this monster.

She finally opened the door, and there he sat. Wally Miller, forty-one years old; although his wrinkling skin, short gray hair and wide glasses too big for him would tell you he was much older.

“Hey, I was wondering about my blood test results for these chest pains I’ve been having-” he stared with a smile, rising to his feet.

“Sit,” Dr. Cense commanded, as Wally complied. “W-Wally…you have cancer.”

“C-cancer.”

“Heart cancer,” the doctor explained. “Two tumors. One is 5 inches long, the other is 13 inches.”

“So…am I going to die?”

The question she hoped he didn’t ask, hoped so feebly that it not escape his lips. What would she say, what would she do? She knew she couldn’t sugarcoat it for him. She had to be honest.

“More than likely, yes,” she responded.

Wally Miller looked down at his worn brown boots, the boots his wife had bought him for his birthday the previous month. They had talked about going on a hiking trip, but they couldn’t find an affordable babysitter for Katie. “How long do I have with my kid?” was the next thing Wally asked, looking at the doctor who now had tears welding up in her eyes.

“The smaller tumor is removable,” Dr. Cense said, drying her eyes with a pocketed napkin. “The other one…your best hope is chemotherapy, which may keep you alive for…I don’t know, four or five months? Make that seven, no, an even eight. …Nine! I’ll…I’ll say nine months!”

“Excuse me,” he said, suddenly jolting up from the bed. “I need to get home and talk to my wife. I…I’ll come back in a few hours.”

“You know she doesn’t eat ice cream in a cup, Brittany. ...No! Katie only eats it in a cone! …Oh, well then you go get me some ice cream cones, I’ll give them to Brittany and then…oh. Wally is home. I’ll call you back,” Crystal Miller said, hanging up the phone.

The 5’9 black woman crossed her arms, staring intently at her husband. Just like him, she had a ton on her mind that day. “How’d your appointment go? You got back home fast.”

“Uh…Crystal, can you take a seat?”

Crystal sighed and nodded, putting her palm on her chin. “Oh yeah. You forgot to mail off the electric bill this morning. It’s alright. I paid the $75 late charge.”

“Crystal, I -”

“You know you owe me back, right? And I don’t mean in thirty years when I’m old and gross and you’re even more old and gr-”

“Crystal, I have cancer.”

Crystal slowly dropped her palms to her thighs, red lipstick escaping into her widened jaw. “…C-ca…cancer?”

“Heart cancer. It’s very serious.”

“No…no!” Crystal sobbed, tears beginning to wash away her freshly applied make-up. She got up and embraced her husband in a long, warm hug. “W-Wally…no…you…you can’t…you can’t die on me, Wally! ...Not before I told you…”

“Crystal, I have two tumors. One I can get surgery for an-”

“Wally, I’m pregnant.” The three words hit Wally like a punch in the gut. “I found out last night.”

“…Nah…no. No, no, nah, nah, nah. P-pregnant…Crystal!”

“Wally…how long did they give you? Are you going to make it? Are you going to be able to see this baby grow up?” Crystal asked, pointing to her stomach clothed by a long pink gown. “What about Katie? Will you be able to see her graduate high school? Bring home her first boyfriend? Even…even see middle school?”

“Oh man, I forgot about her. She should be getting off the bus any minute now, won’t she?”

“You have to tell her…I guess…I guess you can wait?”

“…No. She deserves to not have it sugarcoated. I’ll tell her when…”

The door to their home opened. A little pale girl with large green eyes, fluffy cheeks and a wide, happy smile popped in, a glass jar in her hands. “Mommy! Daddy!” she cried in a delightful voice, brandishing the jarred tree frog in her hands, little holes poked through the lid. “Look at Mr. Froggy! Mr. Sanchos caught him for me at lunch!”

“…Did he now? That’s sweet,” Crystal said, her eyes not leaving her husband for the slightest of seconds. “We will get you a tank to put him in with some grass. I bet he’d like that, but right now, daddy wants to tell you something. Go off to your room.”

The adorable little girl looked at her daughter and giggled, beginning to hop off to her room. Wally and his wife shared one more sad parting glance, before Wally made his way to his daughter’s room.

***

He still remembered the day he finished painting this room. He looked at the bright blue walls, the tree frog sitting on the bedside table, remembering just his wife’s priceless face when she told him that she was expecting a girl. “Katie, do you know what cancer is?” Wally asked.

Katie put her little finger to her lips, meticulously pondering the question. “Is that what grandpa died of?”

“Yes,” Wally said. “Katie…I…I…I’m going away in a few months. Maybe. Probably going away. Do you understand?”

Katie scrunched her face, before shaking her head. “Where are you going to, daddy?”

“…Katie, I…I don’t know how to even begin to tell you this, but-”

“Do you have cancer, daddy?”

If those three words were a punch in the gut, those five words were a punch inches below. After a long pause, a long blank stare, Wally nodded his head. “Yes. I have heart cancer. It’s very serious.”

Crystal entered the room, her face stained pink; clear that she had began crying once again. “Laura called…she…she said she thinks the cancer may have spread?”

When will this end? When will I wake up from this nightmare? Wally thought, clutching his temples as his wife grabbed him in a hug, bawling harder than she had before.

He looked down at Katie, expecting her to be the most shaken – he expected her to grab his leg, tell her that he doesn’t want him to die, that she loves him so, and yet she said nothing. “Katie…” he said, his wife breaking her hip, sobbing shallow, shy sobs.

Katie looked at her father, then at her mother and crossed her arms. “Mommy…you’re acting like he’s already dead,” she told him.

“Katie, they gave me nine months at the most,” Wally explained. “And she was just being generous.”

“…I learned today that nine months is almost a year! I’ll be…I’ll be in kindergarten by then!” Katie said, adorably smiling at her father.

Nine months will give him time to see… Crystal thought to herself, finally finding a sense of sun in her world recently engulfed in a dark, thick fog.

“We’re together now! Why cry about the time we don’t have, when we can enjoy the time we do have?”

“Aw, you just want to go to the water park instead of doing your homework,” Wally pointed out.

Katie giggled, slyly tilting her head. “Yeah…”

“I’ll tell you what. You do your homework, I’ve gotta run back to the doctor’s office and finish up what I went over there for. When I get back…Family Fun Water Park it is!”

So for Wally Miller, his battle had only just begun. Time would tell if the brave warrior conquered the foul beast or not. Yet if Katie is the one to listen to, why spend time worrying about the future when the sun still shines for the day? It was her who made him realize that time spent enjoying the company of loved ones is much better than time spent wallowing over not being able to be with loved ones even more. The monster known as cancer set its eyes on Wally’s heart – but he’d make sure to never let it touch the hearts of his two favorite people in the world.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
763 Reviews


Points: 3888
Reviews: 763

Donate
Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:52 am
Lava wrote a review...



Hi tigeraye!

Welcome to YWS and I hope you have a great time on here!
Medical fiction is always great and one of my favourite genres! And I like that you decided to tackle the different issues around cancer.

My main critique here is going to be of the actual cancer science involved.
So, firstly, I felt that the scene where the physician is saying Wally has cancer, it seems more like a drama-scene where there is not much research into how an oncologist tends to convey this information to a patient.
Now, when it comes to primary cardiac tumours, it usually is super rare, that initial diagnosis is almost never cancer. So, with that in mind, I think the scenes need to take into account that Wally must have had some form of heart trouble to have visited the doctor in the first place which is a cause of concern.
But otherwise, your insights on chemo and life expectancy suggests you are thinking on the right track with this case.

On the whole, just take your time to research the science and you should be good!

So, anyway, PM me if you want some more info on how to get better research done!

Cheers
Lava




tigeraye says...


hm, I see where you're coming from, yeah, although I wouldn't call this a medical fiction. The focus isn't on the astheniology of cancer itself, but rather the aspect of how a family deals with a loved one being diagnosed with cancer. Thanks for the help, I'll keep the advice in mind



tigeraye says...


I'm taking your advice and doing a research paper on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy before my next story hahaha



User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:40 pm
View Likes
artybirdy wrote a review...



The biggest issue I spotted was that you didn’t take the time to develop the scenes, and make it as intense and tension-filled as you could have done.

Here are some examples:

“Sit,” Dr. Cense commanded, as Wally complied. “W-Wally…you have cancer.”

I think it was too sudden the way Dr. Cense told him. Build it up. Have her question herself, have her feel guilty. Similarly, have Wally afraid, nervous. Make it as realistic and natural as possible.
“So…am I going to die?”

This sentence tells me he’s emotionless, or that he’s not affected in any way. Wally’s not that kind of person, as Dr. Cense describes him. His character’s not consistent. I’d suggest that you don’t only rely on dialogue to show us his feelings as they can be misinterpreted sometimes, use actions too. For example, you could say:
“His gut wrenched. The air was knocked out his lungs and his sight blurred from fresh tears.”
“Uh…Crystal, can you take a seat?”

This is a good chance for some character development. Maybe, here, he remembers the first day they met, or the day they married. Maybe, he remembers how he promised to take care of her and now he didn’t have much time left.
Crystal slowly dropped her palms to her thighs

I’d like to his reaction before that. He could be avoiding eye contact or staring at her, silently crying.
“W-Wally…no…you…you can’t…you can’t die on me, Wally! ...Not before I told you…”

How’s she feeling after this point, or what’s she thinking?
“Oh man, I forgot about her.

This isn’t something a dad would say, even in this situation. You should either cut it out completely or replace it with something else.
“You know she doesn’t eat ice cream in a cup, Brittany

Before this, I think you should give some sort of indication that the scene has changed.

You presented a strong and positive message to the readers. Losing a close family member due to cancer myself, I can relate to the story very much. It was an emotional read for me, especially the last paragraph. It tied the piece together – almost like a conclusion – and was effectively done. Overall, your story has a lot of potential. You just need to read over, revise, and edit it. Well done, and keep writing!




tigeraye says...


Ok thanks, yeah, this was something done in one sitting. I agree with you on most points, although I disagree that "I forgot about her" isn't something a father would say. I'll go back and revise it at one point or another, I think. Thanks for the review.



artybirdy says...


That's completely fine. It's your story. You should do whatever you feel would be best.
No problem! Glad to help. :)



tigeraye says...


To elaborate - Wally is face to face with his wife. He had been diagnosed with terminal cancer less than an hour ago, and then just learned that his wife is pregnant with his second child - a child he may not even grow up to see. He had a lot on his mind at the time, to say the least, and I don't think it's out of the ordinary to just for the slightest moment, not forget his daughter's existence, but forgot that she would be home shortly, and that he'd have to explain to her his diagnosis.



artybirdy says...


Then, you could make it clearer. Something like:
"Oh, man, I forgot she'd be home soon," Wally said in a hoarse voice, glancing at his wrist watch. "She should be getting off the bus any moment now."



tigeraye says...


hm yeah that sounds better, thanks



artybirdy says...


You're welcome. :)



User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:56 am
Mogamegan says...



This was very intriguing! You made it even more suspenseful not knowing what happened to him. It was heart-touching and sweet. I loved how you made Wally not become depressed, but happy and trying for him to make the best of it.

I loved this story. Keep up the great work!




tigeraye says...


Thanks, glad you liked it. I'd like to leave it up to the reader to decide for themselves if he made it through or not - but the way I would think of it, he does end up beating his cancer.



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 415

Donate
Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:07 am
Eros wrote a review...



Hello tigeraye!!

This is Eros here to review your work!!

The title of the story which you have written, is very very catchy and the story is really full of a unique beauty. I like the way you have presented your story in front of us. The dialogues in between adds up a spice to the story. And also the the sentences italicised gives them a different meaning.

Overall, the theme of the story is beautiful. the characters chosen are very nice and there is no flaw as far as I can see.
And the most beautiful thing I liked is the last line:~

"The monster known as cancer set its eyes on Wally’s heart – but he’d make sure to never let it touch the hearts of his two favorite people in the world."

The Cancer is addressed as a monster. This is very nice idea!

You are a unique writer with a unique style of writing.
Good job! *Shows you an Upward Thumb and pats your upper back*
Continue writing!!
Because we want to reading your beautiful works!!
*Hits the star button ("like" button)




tigeraye says...


I'm glad you brought up the ending, it was really tough to come up with. I re-wrote it like four times before I finally came up with something that I liked. Thanks for the review.




Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
— Mark Twain