A Short Story

by stevebayor

Half a decade and nothing else mattered,

life was good, synergy was perfect and the hearts beat almost at the same frequency.

Always and forever was the goal, and the whole world could go to hell for all they care.

Never had there been something so pure, so beautiful, so incredibly surreal and absolutely magnificent.

The bloom, the glow, the joy, the smiles, the moments, the memories, the days where the good, the bad and the ugly collide but the strength of their unflinching love conquered all.

Half a decade and it felt like a lifetime. It was indeed a journey of discovery. Habits were learnt and unlearned, compromises and sacrifices were made. The greater satisfaction existed solely in the reality of the most blissful union ever.

Half a decade and nothing else mattered.

From daybreak to sunset, from night fall to dawn, they never relented. His life never really was his alone. She became his everything.

She was his confidant, his friend, his mother and sister, his wife and daughter, his laughter and bliss. He forgot know how to live alone because she was always there to fill the gap. His choice of clothes, his shoe size, his shirt and pants size, his perfume, his preferred ice cream order, his favorite cakes, his best songs, his favorite meals, and his mental health, she took care of it all.

He would love her beyond all reasonable doubt because she literally was his life. Every breath he draws, every step he takes, every milestone achieved, every little wins, every decision he ever took were all laced with impeccable confidence that all he ever needed was the perfect amount of love and support she gave, all that mattered was that she was at his corner and with that reality, he could move the world without flinching.

But..

Nothing lasts forever came to reality too soon. In the twinkle of an eye, everything changed. Always and forever was the goal, but nature had other plans. 

"What a joke!" Said nature, "you two weren't made for each other, congenital circumstances have made you incompatible", he mocked! 

Perhaps God's plan was different, he thought. The future looked down on them and said "don't be selfish, don't be stupid either, your hearts will break but forever is longer than half a decade".

Half a decade and nothing else mattered. Until half a decade did not matter anymore.

Life taught them that you will not always get what you want. This lesson is the saddest reality of life. The uncertainty, the weight, the absence of absolute assurance about the future, the inevitability of their separation and the mounting pressure.

Half a decade and nothing else mattered. Until the heart wrenching realization that they were destined to follow different paths. If only they had seen the future. Perhaps they would have loved less. Maybe they could have committed and sacrificed less. But then it was beautiful while it lasted. He has no regrets, because he experienced the greatest love ever after the love of Christ and his mother.

He had forgotten how to live without her. So he sunk into a dark abyss of utter confusion. He was broken and shattered. Perhaps if he buried himself in his work, all will be forgotten.. oh, he thought wrong. His heart shrunk, he floated without direction, he lost focus. He realized that he didn't know how to love himself because someone else did that for him.

And while he surfers on the inside, he goes about everyday, with a smile on his face, exhuming strength and portraying confidence. His mask is perfect, no one saw what lies beneath. He has a responsibility, he must deliver. He can't appear vulnerable, he must be strong. He can't show weakness, he must inspire those who look up to him. He can't lose focus, he must excel. So he would rather bury his feelings and act like all is well.

However, this is not the end. The struggle is daunting, the hurt is unbearable, the pain is unshakable. But this is not the end. He hopes that one day, he'll see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. One day he'll tell a story of how he made the right decision for both of them. One day, he'll meet one endorsed by heaven and earth, verified by nature and perfect enough. Until that day ........................

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:44 pm
fantasies wrote a review...

hi! saw this and it immediately peaked my interest.
in the beginning, it seems to show not only romantic love, but platonic love as well. it shows how some people rely on their loved ones. platonic love may not be the case with the character, but the wording/narrative does, in my opinion.
then it shows other emotions; grief. but not only that, masking his grief and depression. this shows the amount of pain he is suffering after, what i’m guessing, is the death or leaving of his loved one.
i like this, it makes me feel sympathetic for the character in many ways. but Moonglade has a point. the sentences are long, and some are hard to understand, i suggest editing.
good job, though. :)

Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:49 pm
Ivan_155 says...

I believe this story perfectly shows how feelings can really affect people. And I would say it is a good example of how people deal with loss, in this case the loss of a marriage. Furthermore, the two last paragraphs teach us how burying our feelings can be harmful, as they are not gone but hidden. Overall, I really enjoyed reading it and the lesson it teaches.

Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:14 pm
Ivan_155 says...

Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:13 pm
Ivan_155 says...

Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:13 pm
Ivan_155 wrote a review...

NewHope wrote a review...

Hi there Steve

I hope you are having a great day/afternoon/night. This is going to be a little bit of an unorthodox review but I really do hope that it helps you.

I must say I love this piece. It verges on a line I’ve been stuck on for a long time: “When a friend becomes a fiend and a fiend becomes a friend does the sun set in the east or west or do both collide into fire?” It is a very beautiful piece, it definitely has the right intention. It changes well but I thought that you could have portrayed it slightly better. Please pay attention to punctuation and make sure you’re sentences aren’t long or clumsy.

Always and forever was the goal, and the whole world could go to hell for all they cared.

She was his confidant, his friend, his mother and sister, his wife and daughter, his laughter and bliss. He forgot know how to live alone because she was always there to fill the gap. His choice of clothes, his shoe size, his shirt and pants size, his perfume, his preferred ice cream order, his favorite cakes, his best songs, his favorite meals, and his mental health - she took care of it all.

He would love her beyond all reasonable doubt because she literally was his life. Every breath he drew, every step he took, every milestone he achieved, every little win, every decision he ever made was all laced with impeccable confidence that all he ever needed was the perfect amount of love and support she gave him. All that mattered was that she was in his corner and with that reality, he could move the world without flinching.

But

Nothing lasts forever came to reality much too soon. In the twinkle of an eye, everything changed. Always and forever had been the goal, but nature had torn them apart, perfectly interlocked finger by perfectly finger.

Perhaps, God's plan was different, he thought. The future looked down on them and said "don't be selfish, don't be stupid either, your hearts will break but forever is longer than half a decade". (Merge this paragraph with the paragraph after “But…”)

Half a decade and nothing else mattered. Until the heart wrenching realization that they were destined to follow different paths. If only they had been able to see the future. Perhaps they would have loved less. Maybe they could have committed and sacrificed less. But then it wouldn’t have been as beautiful while it lasted. He has never had and will never have any regrets. because he experienced the greatest love ever after the love of Christ and his mother.

He had forgotten how to live without her. So he sunk into a dark abyss of utter confusion. He was broken and shattered. Perhaps, if he had just buried himself in his work, all would have been[\b] forgotten.. oh, he thought wrong. His heart shrunk, he floated without direction, he lost focus. He realized that he didn't know how to love himself because someone else [b]had always done that for him.

And while he suffers on the inside, he goes about everyday, with a smile on his face, exhuming strength and portraying confidence. His mask is perfect, no one will ever see what lies beneath it. He has a responsibility, he must deliver. He can't appear vulnerable, he must be strong. He can't show weakness, he must inspire those who look up to him. He can't lose focus, he must excel. So he would rather bury his feelings and act like all is well.

However, this is not the end. The struggle is daunting, the hurt is unbearable, the pain is unshakable. But this is not the end. He hopes that one day, he will finally see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe one day he will tell the world a story of how he made the right decision for both of them. And maybe one day, he will meet one above heaven and earth. verified by nature and perfect enough. Until that day ........................

That would look like this:

She was his confidant, his friend, his mother and sister, his wife and daughter, his laughter and bliss. He forgot how to live alone because she was always there to fill the gap. His choice of clothes, his perfume, his preferred ice cream order, his favorite cakes, his best songs, his favorite meals, and his mental health - she took care of it all.

He would love her beyond all reasonable doubt because she was his life. Every breath he drew, every step he took, every milestone he achieved, every little win, every decision he ever made was laced with impeccable confidence that all he ever needed was the perfect amount of love and support she gave him. All that mattered was that she was in his corner and with that reality, he could move the world without flinching.

But…

Nothing lasts forever came much too soon. In the twinkle of an eye, everything changed. Always and forever had been the goal, but nature had torn them apart, perfectly interlocked finger by perfectly finger. Perhaps, God's plan was different.

Half a decade and nothing else mattered. Until the heart wrenching realization that they were destined to follow different paths. If only they had been able to see the future. Perhaps they would have loved less. Maybe they could have committed and sacrificed less. But then it wouldn’t have been as beautiful while it lasted. He has never had and will never have any regrets.

He had forgotten how to live without her. So he sunk into a dark abyss of utter confusion. He was broken and shattered. Perhaps, if he had just buried himself in his work, all would have been forgotten. His heart shrunk, he floated without direction, he lost focus. He realized that he didn't know how to love himself because someone else had always done that for him.

And while he suffers on the inside, he goes about everyday with a smile on his face, exhuming strength and portraying confidence. His mask is perfect, no one will ever see what lies beneath it. He has a responsibility, he must deliver. He can't appear vulnerable, he must be strong. He can't show weakness, he must inspire those who look up to him. He can't lose focus, he must excel. So he would rather bury his feelings and act like all is well.

He hopes that one day, he will finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe one day he will tell the world a story of how he made the right decision for both of them. And maybe one day, he will meet one above heaven and earth.

I really, really like this piece and really you consider all of my suggestions. But please, and I’m begging you, rewrite it and tag me. You could even edit the piece and tag me. Rewrite in a week’s time, not today or tomorrow - in a week. Give your brain time to relax and forget this piece. Then come back to it and I swear you will see the difference.

I really do hope this helps
Moonglade

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf