z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Cedar Ravine: 6.2

by rosette


There were two stalls in the women's bathroom, across from a cracked mirror and lone sink.

I closed the door behind me, leaning against it. Through the thick wood I could still hear footsteps, the sound of people exiting the building. The service had gone uninterrupted, which was a relief, but no one wanted to stay afterward. They came to listen intently, then bolt out.

It didn't make sense to me.

The door pushed hard, suddenly, against my back, and I stumbled forward. The willowy young woman who sat in the back pew slipped in, then stopped, and stared at me.

I stared at her. 

Now that I had a good look at her, I saw she was older than I had assumed - maybe somewhere in her mid-twenties - but just as beautiful as when I first caught a glimpse.

High cheekbones, flawless white skin, a long beige dress wrapped around her curvy figure - she was like a finely sculpted marble pillar. Lovely, but there was something hard about her. Something cold.

"Madison," she said. Her voice was low, almost subtle.

"Maddie," I corrected.

She lifted one small shoulder, moving forward to examine herself in the mirror. "I don't care for nicknames."

I blinked. "Oh. Excuse me. I didn't realize I was supposed to care about your preferences."

The corner of her mouth turned up slightly, as if she were about to smile, but she kept her eyes traveling across her face, up to her smooth forehead, down to her soft chin. "You remind me of Jackson, in a way."

Jackson?

I shouldn't have felt a flash of surprise, but I did. I had never seen the two even exchange a word. Yet Jackson had been in such a strange mood, lately, I could only wonder what else he did that I didn't know about.

"Surprise," I finally said. "He is my brother."

"Oh, it's obvious." Her eyes left her face and flickered to mine. In the light, I could see they were green, a light olive green. "Why are you here? You don't want to be, do you?"

I bunched my thick knit sweater up in my hands. "I could ask you the same."

A ghost of a smile touched her lips. "Oh, no. You're mistaken there. I do want to be here." She looked back at her cracked reflection and ran her pale fingers through her hair. "We're all here for the same reason."

"Oh. Right." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Remind me of that reason again? To spy on us? Criticize us? Report us to the police because we're not part of your little cult?"

Her eyes snapped to mine. The smile evaporated.

Dang it.

I closed my lips tightly together. I'd said too much.

I didn't know what I expected her to say. Agree with me? Throw a fist in my face? But no, she seemed like a person who kept her true feelings buried deep behind that marble facade.

She turned to face me. And though I towered inches over her and was much broader and built than her, I didn't feel superior. I felt very small, and ignorant. As if I were a child.

I pressed my arms tighter against my chest. 

I didn't like that feeling.

Her olive eyes narrowed a tad. "You are," she mused. "So very much like Jackson."

"Leave my brother alone," I hissed.

"No, thank you." That ghost of a smile flirted with her mouth again. She turned, pushing her dark hair behind her. "Not until he leaves us alone."

I stared hard at her. "What did he ever do to you?"

"Not me, Madison. I said us."

"It's Maddie," I snapped.

But she had already disappeared out the door.

----

Papa is depressed. But he's trying to hide it. As if we're somehow going to fall for his overly bright smiles, and ignore his half-hour spacing outs. The visitation rounds didn't go as well as planned, apparently. People don't know how to act around him, apparently. 

Or so Kentucky says.

The people are distant and aloof, and they stare. They stare a lot.

I want to go with him when he goes to Justin's house. I don't think it's likely he'd receive Papa like the others did, anyway. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Sun May 20, 2018 3:12 pm
View Likes
inktopus wrote a review...



Heya, rosette! Ink here for another review, so let's jump into it!

I'm seeing a lot of short, choppy paragraphs. Usually, I'm a fan of short paragraphs because they make information easier to digest for me (and presumably, for other readers too), but this is just not flowing well. There's not a lot of information to worry about when you're first setting the scene, so making the paragraphs so short isn't improving anything. Instead, it's just chopping up bits of information that would be better introduced together. Obviously, all you need to do is use larger paragraphs and perhaps reword and connect a few of the sentences to improve the flow.

I guess I'm kind of taking this review chronologically because now I need to say a little something about the dialogue between Maddie and 'goddess girl.' The exchange is tense, so for that part, you're definitely winning. However, this is not how most people talk! I've found that many people share the same problem with writing dialogue; they try to make it too formal. Writing dialogue, in my opinion, is totally different from writing other aspects of prose. In the narrative, it's totally okay to go ham with the vocabulary (avoiding purple prose, of course) and make it as eloquent as you please. Dialogue is a bit different. You can't just write what you want. The characters are in charge of it. You have to design a speaking style for each character that's realistic for the area and time period and realistic for the personality of the character. Given that Cedar Ravine is fairly modern and a town in America, people aren't going to be particularly formal when speaking.

"Surprise," I finally said. "He is my brother."

The dialogue is fine until about here. I can't tell how Maddie is saying what's she's saying. I like italics for that, but I don't think that's what you need here. I think either changing it to

"What a surprise," I finally said. "He is my brother."

or just

"He is my brother."

"I could ask you the same."

Here's where the 'too formal' complaint comes in. I think it's more realistic to say, "You're one to talk." or something along the lines of that.

"Oh, no. You're mistaken there. I do want to be here."

I don't know a lot about this lady, but she speaks fairly formally. I think that you should either adjust her speaking style a bit or have Maddie notice that she's more eloquent than most people.

I'd said too much.

Duh. I wouldn't include this. It's already so obvious.

This chapter had its issues, mainly with flow and dialogue, but I think you did great things with the tension! Despite the problems, I really enjoyed this chapter. You managed to pack a lot into a small amount of space, and I admire that. I'm looking forward to the next installment of chapter 6!

~Ink




rosette says...


*glances guiltily at unread books on writing dialogue*

thanks for the review :)



inktopus says...


I'm actually going to be taking two classes over the summer as a sort of writing summer camp thing, one on noveling and one on dialogue! Hopefully I can bring back more knowledge on that and pass it on to you!



rosette says...


That would be fantastic! I hope you can. ;) :D



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Hiya! Captain's back, for some more reviewing! *spins shield around*


Now that I had a good look at her, I saw she was older than I had assumed


Two things. I don't remember Maddie ever speculating her age? (But I could just be forgetting because I have a dreadful memory :p)

And then I think you could specify that this was goddess girl, because it took me a moment to actually realise who it was.

a long beige dress wrapped around her curvy figure - she was like a finely sculpted marble pillar.


I love the description of her! Besides the fact that she's gorgeous, I don't think you really described her appearance much beforehand (did you ever say what colour her hair was?).

But I do want to quickly call attention to 'marble pillar'. Pillars are usually straight and round, and obviously she is not. Maybe change 'marble pillar' to 'finely sculpted marble statue'? Or get creative with something else, just my personal thoughts.

"Madison," she said. Her voice was low, almost subtle.


I find 'subtle' as an odd way to describe a voice, but it might just be my own preference. Perhaps 'quiet' or 'soft' would work better? Although you also described that there was something cold about her, so maybe not soft.

I blinked. "Oh. Excuse me. I didn't realize I was supposed to care about your preferences."


THE SASS IS BACK xD She can be a little aggravating at times, but I love these lines Maddie has of snark. This made me chuckle. (Also the line where she says 'Surprise, he's my brother.' <3)

Report us to the police because we're not part of your little cult?"


Why would they get reported to the police for not being part of a cult? Unless the police here are a part of that cult, that seems almost contradictory, seeing as cults are usually Not Good.


-I know I've said this a few times, but I'd just like to gently remind you that your lines are kind of broken up a lot here again, and in several places it isn't really necessary. Especially to the end of her interaction with Goddess, it's a lot of short sentences or one liners.


And though I towered inches over her and was much broader and built than her,


Whoops. For some reason, I was imagining Goddess was taller than Maddie.

No, thank you." That ghost of a smile flirted with her mouth again. She turned, pushing her dark hair behind her. "Not until he leaves us alone."


First, I love that line 'That ghost of a smile flirted with her mouth again.' and second, JACKSON?? What is he up to?
:(

(also, dark hair, got it. :D )

But she had already disappeared out the door.


Wait, there's no previous mention of her starting to leave, right? This was kind of abrupt, so maybe have her start to walk towards the door?

The visitation rounds didn't go as well as planned, apparently. People don't know how to act around him, apparently.


Looks like there's a bit of repetition here, apparently. haha, but seriously, I would take out one of those 'apparently's, and my suggestion is the first one, but that's entirely up to you.


-I hadn't been thinking much about it the past few parts, but now I'm back to worrying about what Jackson's doing. We haven't gotten to see much of Maddie's family recently, and it's easy to forget everyone is off doing their own thing. Perhaps some family time soon?
Back to Jackson for a second, I smell some plot there. He seems to be digging into what's going on around here, just like Maddie is. Will they start working together at some point to try to figure it out? Who knows.


Pacing seems to be a bit slow at the moment? There was a tension simmering before in earlier chapters while I was reading, but there hasn't been much action I guess? (I know it's not action or anything) I feel like there could be something happening soon, but that's up to how you're shaping everything!

We'll see what happens next, yes? But for now, that's all I've got for you. I'm glad to meet more of the cast! Keep up the good work, and I'll see you around soon!

I hope you have a great day! <3




rosette says...


thanks for the review, Captain! As always, very appreciated :D <33

you have a great day, too!!




Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon