z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Cedar Ravine: 4.1

by rosette


The air outside was cool, clearing my head, and cooling my sweating hands.

I inhaled it's briskness, and stepped off the bottom step of the church's entrance onto the gravel below. It looked like it was going to rain. Clouds obliterated the face of the sky, like one giant melancholy blanket.

I wondered if the sun ever shined here. Or if it was even allowed to.

A muffled shout echoed from inside the building, and my heart jumped. Go. I hurried toward our van, parked directly before the church's sign, and pulled the handle of the side door. Come on, come on. It didn't budge. No, no. I pulled harder, desperately. "Come on!"

"Are you okay?"

I yelped, and swung around. The heavy set teenager from the back row now stood behind me, pale face crinkled in confusion. 

He was taller than I had realized, about the same height as me, and there was a thick white scar slicing across his collarbone that I hadn't seen before. His eyes drifted to my arms, and I realized they were raised defensively, as if I were ready to ward off any attack. I took a deep breath, willed my heart to quit beating so frantically, and dropped my hands to my sides.

"I'm fine."

He looked at me, and nodded his head a little. "Well. I was just concerned. Silas tends to scare people, so it's completely understandable if you were a little frightened."

"I'm fine," I repeated, though it sounded as if I were trying to convince myself. I clasped my hands behind my back, and looked to the right at the grove of trees behind the church.

"If you say so," he said with a sigh. I glanced at him sharply, and he suddenly offered a bright smile. "By the way, my name's Justin."

"Maddie," I said.

He looked as if he were about to offer a hand, but stuck his hands in the pockets of his jeans instead. "I'm actually very glad your family moved here," he confessed. "I was becoming rather tired of being the only teen in town. Especially since I'm homeschooled. And have a strict mother. Hey," he narrowed his eyes, thoughtfully. "You'll have to be homeschooled, too. We should all hang out sometime!"

I stared at him. "We just met."

He sighed again, dropping his head a little. "I know, I know, I'm sorry. I didn't intend to freak you out. I just got excited." He shrugged his wide shoulders, as if to excuse himself. "But I could still tell you about some great sites I love to hang out at, if you ever become exceedingly bored one day, and -"

"Great sites?" I was incredulous. In gloomy little Cedar Ravine? It didn't seem possible.

"Maybe not great..." Justin tapped a finger on his chin, "But I think they're beautiful." He pointed down the road at our left. "There's an exceptionally wonderful view over there."

My eyes followed his finger, and I squinted, suspicously. "By my house?"

His face registered surprise. "You live down there?"

"What's wrong with that?"

His big brown eyes widened a second, but then he gave a small shrug. "If you haven't run into any trouble, I suppose I shouldn't say anything. Just be careful."

I folded my arms across my chest, and stared at him. Hard. He didn't appear fazed, just watched me mildly, as if waiting to see what else I would do. Somehow that irritated me.

"What," I said through my teeth. "Is the big secret around here?"

He looked at the ground. "That's not something -"

The entrance door creaked open, and his mother stepped out.

"Justin. Let's go." Her voice was soft, almost weary. She looked at me when she came to stand beside him, a petite figure beside his large frame, and lifted the corners of her mouth slightly.

It was as if she were attempting a smile, but her whole face was much too sad to carry one. I was certain it was her eyes, her big, dark eyes, filled with so much sadness. It overflowed, and spilled onto her face, creating dark circles under her eyes, sagging the corners of her face, graying portions of her dark bobbed hair.

It made me wonder how a person could carry so much sadness, but then I was afraid. Afraid to know. As if somehow her sadness would leak on to me, and I would never be the same.

"Hello," she said, quietly.

Before I could respond, Justin chimed in. "Mom, this is Maddie. Maddie, this is -"

"Erin." Her eyes dropped to the gravel. She took Justin's arm, and began to pull him away, murmuring, "let's go."

Justin waved his free hand, vigorously. "It was a pleasure to meet you!"

He must have been a bit off in the head. It was never a pleasure to meet Madison Miller, and I hated it when anyone said it was.

When they drove away, in a mossy green pickup truck hacking out spurts of smoke, he was still waving. There was a small smile on his face, not big enough to be a grin, but visible enough to show his happiness. It was so pathetic, I had to look away.

I don't need a friend, Justin. I do not need a friend.

The church's front doors exploded open, and Silas strode out, face glowing a hot, angry red. I froze. Pressed myself against the van.

His whole demeanor was hard, a carefully controlled anger. Tense fists, and taut jawline. The steps quivered under his boots, and the gravel sprang away from him. He didn't notice me, a mere few feet away from him, but I heard him muttering to himself. Spewing out short, halted sentences for only God to hear.

He didn't walk to a waiting car, but instead plowed straight ahead, through the thin line of trees to the road on the other side. I watched him walk along it, as rigid and stiff as any soldier marching to war, until he disappeared around the bend.

I let out a breath once he was gone, my shoulders sagging. What? What was it about him that terrified me? His anger? His intimidating look?

I bit my bottom lip, and glared at my shoes.

I hated it. I hated how he scared me. But most of all, I hated that I didn't know why.

-----


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Hello, and happy review day! <3

-Not that it's much of a problem here, but what is Maddie planning on doing once she gets into the car? Is she trying to get somewhere she feels safe? Does she want somewhere quiet where she won't be disturbed? I think you could add why she's trying to get in, and why it distresses her when she can't, because she just goes to the car without much reason right now. And I understand her fear plays into this somewhat, so the frantic nature of it is forgivable here, but I think there could be a little more reason.

-Justin <3 I already love him. All your boys who have a name starting with 'J' are really appealing to me xD

he narrowed his eyes, thoughtfully.


I'm having a hard time picturing him smiling brightly and narrowing his eyes at the same time. And maybe I'm wrong, this is more of a suggestion than anything, but it seems like Justin would be more inclined to be hopeful? Like, looking at her hopefully, instead of narrowing his eyes? Then again, I don't know enough about him to be able to make any serious comments on this :P


"If you haven't run into any trouble, I suppose I shouldn't say anything. Just be careful."


oooh *squints suspiciously* Cedar Ravine, what are you hiding?

(also, her not running into trouble even though there's obviously something that has potential to cause it seems like more of a reason to say something, rather than the opposite)


He didn't appear fazed, just watched me mildly, as if waiting to see what else I would do.


'Mildly' doesn't seem like it fits here to me. I feel like it should be an emotion, such as curiosity or something to have a point on Justin's feelings.


I was certain it was her eyes, her big, dark eyes, filled with so much sadness. It overflowed, and spilled onto her face, creating dark circles under her eyes, sagging the corners of her face, graying portions of her dark bobbed hair.


I adore this description <3


It was never a pleasure to meet Madison Miller, and I hated it when anyone said it was.


I like that she's aware she isn't the nicest person around. I can't put a pin on why, but I like this little detail.


I hated it. I hated how he scared me. But most of all, I hated that I didn't know why.


I mean, isn't it reason enough that he gets really angry and interrupted her father back in the church in the way he did?


-So we're getting into more reveal that something is clearly wrong here, awesome! I get the feeling that Justin might want to say more on the matter then he was able to, but I also might be reading into that wrong.

-We're meeting more characters for the story too, which I'm really happy about. I like Maddie's family and all, but it's also nice to have some fresh faces to play into the story now that things are starting to happen.

-I usually don't read the other reviews, just so my own won't be swayed (and I didn't until just now), but I do agree somewhat with what inktopus is saying. As much as I love the anticipation and build up, nothing has really happened aside from Silas and the eerie service. I'm aware that this is somewhat hypocritical of me to be saying, because I'm the exact same way, so take this comment with a grain of salt :p

-And of course, your descriptions are absolutely beautiful, as always <3


I hope something in there was helpful :D and MADDIE, you're such an negative nut xD I'm excited to see where her character goes actually! She's so grumpy now, but where is she going to end up? I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

I hope you have a lovely day <3




rosette says...


Thank you for reviewing :) :) :)



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 am
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



And I'm back again!

Aww, Justin is sweet. Maddie shouldn't be such a jerk to him. Hopefully she'll change her tune eventually.

And okay, what is up with their house and the area around it? At this point I'm just really curious and really hoping we get some answers soon.

Anyway, his introduction was definitely well-done! You create his character's voice really well with the combination of both eagerness and also overly formal sentences. His syntax is a little strange, but I think you can definitely make it work. :) His mother is... interesting. I thought her entrance into the scene was a little awkward/jarring, but she does make for a really powerful contrast to her son. I'm just wondering what happened to make her so sad, and I suspect it has to do with whatever makes the area around Maddie's house "trouble." But maybe not - you would think that Justin would have a stronger reaction to it if that was the case.

A muffled shout echoed from inside the building, and my heart jumped. Go. I hurried toward our van, parked directly before the church's sign, and pulled the handle of the side door. Come on, come on. It didn't budge. No, no. I pulled harder, desperately. "Come on!"

I've noticed that sometimes, it's a little bit hard to follow Maddie's/the narrative's line of thinking. From the end of the chapter, I'm guessing that the reason Maddie freaked out at this point was because she didn't want to face Silas, but that wasn't at all obvious at the time.

So Silas scares Maddie. I can sort of see why, but I'm not quite feeling terrified yet. The description of his body language is good (honestly, I'm taking notes from you here - I'm terrible at describing body language), but it doesn't quite feel like enough. Or maybe it's just because I tend to find a calm anger more terrifying than less subtle anger, or maybe it has to do with what I said in the last review about the reader just not knowing enough yet.

I feel like this review hasn't been that helpful, but I'm not sure I have concrete suggestions at this point, since I don't know exactly where all this is going. So I'll just leave you with my reactions to what happened in the chapter and hope you'll be able to extract something from them. :P Can't wait for the next chapter to be out!




rosette says...


Every review helps me. xD
Thank you again!!



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 pm
View Likes
inktopus wrote a review...



Hey, rosette! Ink here for a startlingly timely review, so let's get into it!

The air outside was cool, clearing my head, and cooling my sweating hands.

The use of "cool" here is redundant. I'd keep one instance and remove the other.

I inhaled it's briskness, and stepped off the bottom step of the church's entrance onto the gravel below.

Grammar error- it should be 'its'. I don't quite get the point of this sentence. I think you're describing this step too much, to be honest. It just doesn't seem important enough to spend this much time on.

I wondered if the sun ever shined here.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's "shone."

He was taller than I had realized, about the same height as me, and there was a thick white scar slicing across his collarbone that I hadn't seen before.

If a teenage boy, who is considered tall is as tall as Maddie, how tall is Maddie? She must be a female giant if this tall boy is the same height as her.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm getting very antsy to figure out what's going on. Creating anticipation is good, but this feels like it's starting to drag. I couldn't tell you if it's because of the long waiting period between installations instead of me reading this in one go or if there's really a problem. I'd recommend you start feeding the readers some more hints or this is going to become frustrating to read.

I also want to talk about Justin. He's the only teenager in this entire town? That seems very unlikely. If that's the case, then we'll need more backstory on the town. Are the majority of the residents old and the town is dying? That would explain why there are very few children, but you have to explain that to us if that's the case. If you don't give us reasons for these strange things, we're going to have to fill in the blanks, and I don't think that this is something that we should have to do that for.

A small fact that is incorrect: if you live in Cedar Ravine, you have to be homeschooled. That's not a thing that can legally happen. The state is legally required to make sure public school is available everywhere, so even if the town was unable to support its own school, it would feed into the closest school system.

Overall, I was sort of disappointed in this chapter. It just made me feel impatient, and not in a good anticipation way. The narrative is beginning to drag, so I'd say to pick up the pace a bit.

If you have any questions, you know I'm always up for book talk!

~Ink




rosette says...


Thanks for the review.




I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor