Cedar Ravine: 3.2

by rosette

It seemed as if an eternity passed before Kentucky finished the song, and came to stand beside Mama. Papa nodded slightly at us. There was no need to say "you may be seated" when three quarters of the church were already seated.

We sat down, and the pews creaked. It was a resounding sound in the massive silence. I hugged my arms around my waist, and wished to be anywhere but in this building.

I wondered if Papa had the same thought. He was looking at his notes on the pulpit, as silent as the congregation. The quiet was beginning to smother me. All I could hear were my own breaths, and Jackson's beside me. Yet even that felt too loud, too discernible among these people.

I hated it.

But then there was the sound of the door opening, and a draft of cool air wafted in. It curled it's cold fingers around my neck, and I shuddered, and turned, and I saw her.

She was like some sort of goddess: long-legged, and slender; thick, black hair and ivory skin; a dark green dress cut close to her body. There was this cool demeanor to her. A collected, almost powerful air. She was beautiful. I looked at her, and felt inferior. Insignificant. And very, very plain.

Her eyes drifted around the room as she sat down, and came to rest beside me. She was looking at Jackson. I knew she was. Something inside my stomach hardened.

She had been so silent when she walked in, Papa hardly seemed to acknowledge her. Actually, I realized, with the exception of me, and some of my family, no one else appeared to notice. They remained staring straight ahead at Papa, as noiseless as panthers when hunting their prey.

Papa set down his notes, stepped out from behind the pulpit, and smiled at all of us. "Well, how's everyone doing this morning?"

The new tactic was still met with silence. But this time it didn't last long.

The old lady with the small oval glasses spoke up, "Very well, thank you."

She had a loud, brassy voice, and Kiley jumped in her seat.

"Fine!" said Ivan.

The young Mexican woman behind me muttered something in Spanish. The teenage boy in the back merely grinned.

"I'm glad to hear that," said Papa. He smiled, the relief evident on his face. They actually could communicate. Maybe there was a hope. "Sunday mornings have always been a favorite of mine."

Only Kentucky bobbed his head in agreement. I folded my arms. Sunday mornings were fine, but not when you were stuck in a drafty building with a few strangers.

"If you have your Bibles -" Papa was back behind the pulpit "- let's turn to Second Peter chapter one." He glanced ever so slightly at us. "And stand for the reading of the Word."

I stood, clasping my hands behind my back. Somewhere back in the house sat my Bible. I wondered if Papa would be upset that I had forgot to bring it.

In my peripheral vision, I saw Griffin slowly rise to his feet. He was the only other person who stood, and Papa's mouth tightened a bit. No one appeared to have brought their Bibles. Instead they sat with their hands in their lap, watching Papa.

There was no possible way fifteen other people simply happened to forget their Bibles. I refused to believe it.

"Beginning at verse one," said Papa, and I looked over Jackson's shoulder at the open Bible he held in his hands.

"'Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith...'"

Griffin had his head bowed. I watched him from the corner of my eye. He looked so humble and sincere, like any good saint should. Except he was a biker. Who probably drank and smoked a lot. I wondered why he had stood. I wondered why he had come to church this morning.

"'Grace and peace be multiplied unto you, through the knowledge of God...'"

Then there was Brenae, staring straight ahead. Something about the stiff set of her shoulders irritated me. Was that a defensive pose, or a proud pose? Or was she simply feeling how chilly it was in here?

"'According as His divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness...'"

Jackson shifted on his feet, and looked around, then glanced at me and raised his eyebrows. One of the old ladies, the one with the fluffy white bob, was falling asleep, her little head bobbing on her chest. The burly man's face was red. He looked at me and his jaw jerked, and I quickly faced the front again, heart pounding a terrified rhythm in my chest.

Angry. He was angry.

I looked up at Jackson. He was frowning.

"'...that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is the world through lust.'"

Papa had finished. He bowed his head, without any further words, and began to pray. "Thank you Lord for Your Word, and for ministering to us this morning."

I don't think the Word ministered to anyone this morning, Papa. Not yet at least. My palms felt damp. Maybe it wouldn't be at all.

"I pray Your will be done in service, that our hearts and our minds will be open to receiving you, and that You will speak through me as only You will. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray, Amen."

"Amen," echoed Kentucky, and Mama.

"You may be seated," said Papa, with a slight nod of acknowledgment towards Griffin.

I sat down, stiffly. There was a tension in the air. I only realized it when I looked back, and saw the man, red-faced and tense. Maybe this was why everyone sat so still. It was the calm before the storm. Only my family didn't seem to realize this.

"There is so much depth to what Peter is saying in these scriptures," Papa said, looking out on his audience. "But I don't want to take up too much of your time today."

Thank God. I twisted the hem of my button-up shirt around in my hands, and wished the time to fly. Hurry Papa, hurry.

"If you'll notice in verse one," said Papa. "Simon Peter didn't write this epistle to any ordinary folk, but to those that had obtained like precious faith. He said grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and we see in verse three that all things that pertain unto life and godliness are also given unto us through this knowledge of Him."

"Yes, Sir," said Kentucky, gravely.

Hurry, I thought.

"But it doesn't end there." Papa raised his eyebrows, as if he had caught us by surprised. The only reaction I heard was someone clearing their throat. "Verse five states exceeding great and precious promises are also given to us through this knowledge. I don't know about you, but this sounds like something I'd like to have. They're not just great -"

"What the heck is going on?"

My heart nearly jumped out of my chest.

The man in the back was standing, huge arms tense on either side. His face wasn't just red now, but the color had spread over his thick neck, down to his giant fists. He looked like a volcano, on the verge of erupting.

Jackson bristled.

There was no surprise on Papa's face when he looked toward the back. He only narrowed his eyes thoughtfully and asked, "Who are you?"

"I could ask the same," spat the man.

Kiley was peeking over the pew, wide-eyed, and Mama turned her around to face the front. Her posture was as stiff as if she had been carved out of stone. All other beings in the church, even the fluffy-haired old lady who had been napping, looked startled.

"Well." Papa was careful with his words. "A few weeks ago I was elected to pastor here-"

"Pastor?! I did not elect you to be my pastor," snarled the man.

"This isn't a position I chose -"

"Then take your stupid doctrine and get out of here!"

"Silas," the husband in the Mexican family spoke up. "This wasn't our decision to make." His words sounded as if they were intended to be reassuring, but his voice was bitter. I wanted to cover my ears, close my eyes, run outside. Be anywhere but in this place.

"No," said Jackson, sharply, "as it very well shouldn't be! Who knows what kind of loony you people would elect?!"

Mama's head swiveled about, and Kentucky's head bowed.

Silas stared. The whole congregation stared. And then, without much thought to what I was doing, I felt my body push itself upright and walk away. 

***

A/N: Heyo, thanks for reading! 

There's really only one MAJOR issue I have with this (not gonna mention horrible description of goddess-girl or lack of description of Silas...) and that is the conflict. I don't like it in here. Or rather, the lack of drama in the conflict. It's supposed to be a little scary but I feel like I didn't bring the intensity across very well, so any tips/advice towards making this scene more intense would be much appreciated! Could I use better dialogue or actions, or have the congregation be more involved? Or was it not so terrible as I'm making it out to be, but still could use a few tweaks? (HAHAHA) 

Thanks in advance! : ) 

mellifera wrote a review...

Hello! I'm here again :D fashionably late, as always.

-I really love the way you describe the unease in the atmosphere, especially since you aren't relying much on telling at all. It's the way everything is laid out. It's awesome <3

-So Goddess enters towards the beginning, and she obviously commands attention, even from the reader. But she comes in, sits down, and then there is no mention of her at all later on. I was expecting her to make a return in some way, but she just kind of faded into the background.

-It's dead silent in this church, and the door audibly opened (after all, it's what made Maddie turn around), but then you say she (Goddess) walked in silently? That's kinda contradictory. It's also weird that nobody else turns around. Adds to the spooky atmosphere. These people are have some really odd behaviour. Ahh, I'm so curious to know what's going on here.

-Obviously all churches are different, but every church I've been to has had Bibles already there for use. This is sort of out of my own curiosity; are there churches that require you to bring your own Bible? Sorry, that's very ignorant of me :O It just occurred to me that I don't know about that

-Unless I'm completely glazing over it, I don't think you wrote in that any of Maddie's family stood back up after they first sit down? You saw Jackson shuffles on his feet, and then they sit down again, but I don't see anywhere where they stood up in between the first and second time they sat down.

Papa raised his eyebrows, as if he had caught us by surprised.

I'm not sure I really understand what's happening in this sentence. How would he have caught anyone by surprise (also who would he be catching by surprise?)?

(also just a quick note, you wrote surprised here when I think you meant surprise)

-I think your conflict is fine. I think the only thing that really stuck out to me was how long John was talking before Silas decided to say anything. He just sat there for a really long time, being angry and glaring and such, and then he decides to finally speak up? I'm sure you have a reason for him waiting for so long, that's just my thoughts as I was reading through :)

That's all I've got for today! Man am I excited to see where this is going :D

I hope you have a lovely day, and keep up your awesome writing <3

rosette says...

Thank you for the review!! :)
Yeah, I was planning things out differently with Goddess girl, but... it didn't turn out as planned, so I'll have to do some major work with her, oops.

Oh yes, and about the Bibles. I think it really depends on the church, like mine, for example, doesn't have them in the back of pews or anything. People are supposed to bring their own (but we have a screen with all the scriptures on it in the front, so it's not a major crisis or anything xD).

mellifera says...

Don't I know how that goes :P

Oh okay! Gotcha! Sorry, I was curious about that!

rosette says...

Super alright! :D

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:15 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey! I realized I'm behind on reviewing this, so I thought I'd start here and then review chapter 4.

I feel bad for Papa. xD He's trying to persevere, but he has such an antagonistic audience. I did like your description of the people - it helps me get a sense of their character without Maddie interacting with them, but it also reveals a lot about Maddie. Particularly that she's a little judgmental. :P

I agree that the conflict felt clunky and somewhat anticlimactic. I think my main point of critique for this chapter is that some things just flat-out confused me - I don't really understand why people are reacting the way they are.

First, the "goddess." Who on earth is she? I don't think she's someone we've met before. I thought it was really strange that you described her walking in so dramatically, but then nobody really noticed other than Maddie. And then after that dramatic introduction, she literally vanishes - you don't even mention her sitting down. What did she do? How did her coming in change the dynamics of the room?

Secondly, although I appreciate that you're probably trying to build suspense by making it not quite clear what the townspeople are expecting and what Papa is doing to anger them, but there's such a lack of explanation/hinting. You probably don't need to explain anything explicitly, but the tone of their silence/blank stares should hint at at least vaguely what the problem is - whether they think he's too strict, or too lax, or irreverent, or insensitive, or maybe just none of them actually care about church at all and they're angry at having to pretend. I really have no idea which of these it might be, or if it's something else altogether, and so it's making everything feel a bit off-kilter.

Part of it is that I'm still really unclear about what happened to the last pastor who was here and have no idea how he ran things. Silas complaining about elections and not having chosen Papa as their pastor just confused me more. I'm also wondering - has Papa consulted the previous pastor/the townspeople about what the church was like before he came? It doesn't seem like it, from the way he acts, but it would be the smart thing to do to help win people over.

Anyway, it wasn't a bad chapter overall - the seeds of the tension are all there, they just aren't quite clicking yet. I think the main thing holding this back is how much the reader doesn't know, rather than stylistic things.

I'll be back for the next chapter soon!

rosette says...

Yeahhh, I've realized I need to add and subtract quite a few things from these opening chapters. xD

inktopus wrote a review...

I very nearly forgot your reminder about this chapter being up, but I'm so glad I didn't! Without further ado, let's get into it!

Syntax-wise, I didn't find much wrong at all other than a few things I'll mention below; the writing itself had very few issues. I'll try to address the conflict because that's what you want the most critique on and that's all I can think of to talk about, to be honest.

Personally, I was rather bemused by it all. I think that you definitely could have made the encounter more threatening. I was more concerned with the reason everything was happening than the severity of the situation. You're going to have to twist this advice to fit the background of this church (I really hope it's something sinister like a cult), but hopefully, I can help.

I think you could tweak the dialogue a bit to make it more hostile. I don't know how averse you are to using curse words, but I'll go through the dialogue and tell you what I would change.

"What the heck is going on?"

Providing this man isn't really religious (it depends on the backstory of this church business), it could be a lot more jarring if you used 'hell' instead of 'heck'. I'm not really one for cursing willy-nilly in my writing, but I think in this case, it would convey the intensity of the speaker a bit better. If you're not comfortable with writing that, I don't think you should, but if you don't have an issue, it could really make a difference.

Another thing in the dialogue I wouldn't necessarily change, but you should add more between the Mexican man and the other guy. It could be some great opportunity for foreshadowing (aftershadowing?) the past of the church and become some food for thought for Maddie so she can wonder about it along with the rest of the readers.

The other thing needing improvement in this part, in particular, is the description. You know this already, but I'll mention a few aspects that I think you should focus on.

You tend to focus on the appearance of people, which is fine, but I think trying to create an atmosphere based on what the church looks like, smells like, feels like, etc. will improve the ominous mood (and may build up to the outburst quite nicely). Also, focusing on the voices of Papa, the yelling man, and the husband might also make a more threatening atmosphere, especially when comparing the yelling man to Maddie's father.

Finally, I think you need to extend the scene a bit by padding it with more description and also including more of Maddie's thoughts and personal observations. In things like this, you have to keep the readers tied to the main character and make it as personal to her as you can because you're trying to tell the story through her eyes. You have been doing a great job, but don't get off guard here.

Simon Peter didn't write this epistle to any ordinary folk, but to those that had obtained like precious faith.

I don't know if you started this sentence with the intent of wording it a different way, but the 'like' doesn't make any sense.

All other beings in the church, even the fluffy-haired old lady who had been napping, looked startled.

Your use of 'beings' is strange. I'd just use people.

Overall, I think this chapter just needs more. It's like a skeleton and some vital organs. We need the muscle, fat, and skin to make it whole. (gross analogy?) Despite that, I did enjoy it, and I'm loving the drama and mystery.

If you have any questions or comments, you're always free to contact me!

~Ink

rosette says...

Thanks for the review, and all the advice! I super appreciate it. :D
Originally, I had it as "hell" therefore the rating, but... I'm really not comfortable with throwing in a few words like that, so I'll have to find a better way to go about the whole thing.

inktopus says...

In that case, I wouldn%u2019t use filler words for curse words because it makes them seem less serious in a way. Writing around them might be a better option.

AnimalQueen wrote a review...

This is a very interesting story, to say the least. And I mean that in a good way. I love that you added a variety of characters. The main character seems very aware of everything going on around him/her. Usually, religious stories are boring, but this one is exciting and well written. Please update soon! I know we'll all be faithfully awaiting your next chapter.

rosette says...

Thank you for the kind words! :)

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling