z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Cedar Ravine: 2.2

by rosette


"And here it should be. Just... around... the corner."

Papa turned the wheel sharply to the right, and the van bounced off the pot-holed dirt road into a gravel parking lot. The lot was empty with the exception of a few thin trees, and a dull blue pickup truck parked directly before a long, modest building.

Papa pulled up beside the truck, smiling faintly. "What do you think?"

It was exactly as I had imagined a church in Cedar Ravine to appear - like an old, country chapel. Some might say it was cute: the white clapboard siding; tall, open windows; and the double doors beaming a wide entrance, with a short little steeple poking into the gray sky above it; but I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

"I'll survive," I said. 

I noted the squat stone sign near the entrance, with "Cedar Ravine United Pentecostal Church" engraved upon it. At least they got something right here.

"We're about to double this congregation size, aren't we?" By the look on his face, it was plain to see Jackson expected no response.

In the passenger seat, Kentucky turned to Papa and honestly replied, "I still think it's the best sight this town has to offer."

"As it very well should be." Papa opened his door, and looked back at Jackson and me. His face was stern. "I'd suggest you two get used to it real quick - this place is about to be our second home."

I rolled my eyes when he turned away. The perks of being a pastor's kid.

Jackson snorted at me. "Liven up a little, Mads. At least we won't be stuck in that house."

"Please stop," I said, following him out of the van, and shoving the door shut with a bang. "Your positivity is so contagious, I actually feel happy about something."

He laughed.

As we walked up the few steps leading to the double doors, I nudged Kentucky. "Who's truck?" He glanced back, as if the object would somehow trigger his memory. "A couple in the church's, I believe. They caretake the building."

I felt a brief touch of surprise. I had supposed we, as the new pastor's family, would be doing all the work - it was what most pastor's family admitted - and based off Mary's reaction earlier that day, I had imagined the church people to be evil. Not good-hearted, well meaning saints as one would hope to think.

But maybe I had been wrong.

No.

I frowned. Cedar Ravine didn't hold anything good or well meaning. I refused to believe it could.

Papa held open a door as we walked inside, directing a pointed look at Jackson, then me. Be nice. Behave. Don't complain.

But what if I didn't want to be nice? Maybe if I was rude and hostile enough, Papa would send me back to Reno back to where I belonged. Bitter people destroyed churches - if they even attempted to become a part of one.

A dusty, woodsy scent pricked my senses, and I blinked a moment. The door had opened immediately into the sanctuary - a short, and narrow sanctuary. We stood in the back, four cedar pews on either side of the narrow aisle facing a pitiful pulpit at the front. There was no stage, but an upright, mahogany piano stared at us from one shadowy corner.The whole building reeked of simple lowliness. 

I drew in a long breath.

Everything in this town was overestimated, it appeared. When people said "small church" I generally did not think of a place that was half of the size of our house. 

Our current house, that is. The shed.

Jackson stood beside me, hands shoved into the pockets of his jeans, and smiled. It was not a pleasant smile. "Wow. Pews. I was almost expecting a dirt floor."

Kentucky's brow wrinkled, and he shook his head ever so slightly. Quit it, his eyes warned. Jackson ignored him.

Papa shouldered his way through our little cluster, glancing down a dark hallway on the left. "There are a few rooms down there -"

A creak sounded, and a shaft of light spilled out of an opening doorway. Two figures appeared. A man and a woman. 

They stared at us.

I stared at them.

Papa lifted one hand in greeting. "Ah, Ivan. Brenae."

"Hey!" The man came forward at that, a massive grin plastered on his face. He was younger, I could see, maybe mid-twenties, with spiky blond hair and a long, pasty face. I frowned. His whole appearance, from the purple plaid shirt to white sneakers, was largely out of place in the humble sanctuary. Even his smile, stretched wide and tight, was wrong.

Phony, I thought. That's what he was.

"John, right?"

Papa hesitated, then nodded. "Yes."

"And you!" He squinted his pale eyes for a second. "Kentucky! Yes, that's what it was! You were at the board meeting last week."

Kentucky only bobbed his head. I wondered how he had withstood that meeting, with this high-pitched, artificial fake, who was already beginning to plague my nerves.

Papa motioned towards me and Jackson. "These are two more of my kids: Jackson, and Maddie -"

"Oh, you didn't bring everyone?" Ivan gave us both a quick handshake. His hands were cold and clammy.

"Not here, though the two youngest did want to come." Papa chuckled a little. "You'll see them tomorrow, along with my wife."

"Wonderful," said Ivan. He did not sound as pleased as he'd probably hoped to sound. "Well, Brenae and I were just cleaning up around here."

Why did he sound as if he were trying to defend himself? 

He motioned behind him with one hand, where his wife took a step out of the shadows. "Getting ready for tomorrow, you know."

Papa said something, but Brenae had caught my attention. She skulked in in the background, watching us, eyes flitting from one person to the next. Her face was stiff, her thin lips set in a firm line, disapproving. She looked at my skirt, the braid dangling near my hips, my face. 

Her mouth tightened.

I looked at her slim jeans, chopped hair around her shoulders, and face, and I judged her right back. 

We were two hypocrites inside a sanctuary. The irony of it all almost made me laugh. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:25 pm
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Hey rosette! I'm back again! (wow I feel like I'm on a streak, I'm not usually this active! I'm definitely taking advantage of it though xD)


Bitter people destroyed churches


I found this comment kinda amusing since Maddie seems to be expecting everyone to be bitter about it anyway :D


Quit it, his eyes warned. Jackson ignored him.


Besides stating that Jackson ignored him, how did Jackson actually ignore him? It seems to me more like he didn't acknowledge him, because he didn't continue being sarcastic afterwards.


They stared at us.

I stared at them.

Papa lifted one hand in greeting. "Ah, Ivan. Brenae."


I don't really like how you spaced this section? It doesn't even really sound choppy, more like it was spread out too much. I think the first two lines could be one, and that Maddie staring at them could have been 'I stared back at them', because in my opinion that flows better.


Phony, I thought. That's what he was.


Aw, Maddie. You don't know that yet D: but I'm happy that we're starting to get more Maddie characterisation nonetheless!


"And you!" He squinted his pale eyes for a second.


I think here you could add that he was squinting at Kentucky, just to make this part a little bit more clear, because without stating that he's talking about Kentucky, it isn't clear who Ivan's 'and you!' is referring to. (not too big of an issue, considering he DOES, but it was something I noticed and felt like point out anyway).


-Besides Maddie's overall negativity about the situation, and what you've said about Ivan, why does she dislike him so much? He hasn't really done anything, and I get not liking him because he's fake, but he really doesn't seem that bad (not like how Mary or Brenae come across as being creepy and/or judgemental). Unless she's just being judge-y about it, and her bitterness about moving is bringing that out or something, which would also make sense.

-Ooh we're getting to meet some of the townspeople! I'm starting to really get the vibe that there's some sort of big secret that they don't want 'outsiders' to know about, and I have a feeling it had something to do with the last pastor, and whatever happened to them.


I'm sorry most of my comments were on the dialogue, I'll try to get into the story more as it progresses!

I hope you're having a wonderful day :D Keep it up, and I'll be back soon!




rosette says...


Gracias!

Yup, if you couldn't tell by now, Maddie is pretty judgmental and hypocritical, and basically refuses to like anything about Cedar Ravine. Bad girl.

;) I shall remain silent on further comments.



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 pm
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this very interesting story about a pastor who visits the church he is relocating to with his kids. It was definitely a enjoyable read from the star although I would have liked to know who Jackson was. I imagined him to be maybe an old hired hand. Later almost at the end I learned that he was the MC’s brother.

The description of the church and its surroundings was superb as well as the description of the MC’s inner musings as she observed the dilapidated condition of the church.

I also like the musings of the MC about the fellow who came out of the shadows and his skulking wife. For a few seconds, I thought you were going to tell me they were thieves caught red-handed and feigning. All in all, a very enjoyable read. Wonder what happens next. Looking forward to reading more of your work

Suggestions.

[“]And here it should be.
dirt-road

modest building. = too vague

Briefly describe Jackson and Kentucky

well[-]meaning

back to Reno[,]

pitiful pulpit [describe]

[“]And here it should be. Just... around... the corner."




rosette says...


Thanks for the review!
I, too, feel a need to describe Jackson and Kentucky, so I'll be getting around to that shortly. Though I briefly mentioned a few of their physical features in preceding parts.



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:51 am
View Likes
inktopus wrote a review...



Hey, rosette! Storm here for another review, so let's get to it.

Papa turned the wheel sharply to the right, and the van bounced off the pot-holed dirt road into a gravel parking lot. The lot was empty with the exception of a few thin trees, and a dull blue pickup truck parked directly before a long, modest building.

You're usually really good with descriptions, but this is not one of those times. In this paragraph, you use far too many adjectives. You need to cut down on the telling us what everything looked like and paint the audience a picture. You usually create a vivid atmosphere for your scenes, so I want to see the same care taken here. This article may make you think a little more: http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-ar ... rs-excerpt

At least they got something right here.

I don't quite understand the meaning of this statement. How could you get a sign wrong? Why would Maddie assume that the sign would be wrong?

His whole appearance, from the purple plaid shirt to white sneakers, was largely out of place in the humble sanctuary. Even his smile, stretched wide and tight, was wrong.

Phony, I thought. That's what he was.

I can't tell if Maddie is just being a jerk here or if she really thinks that he's phony (and perhaps dangerous to the church). I just want to make a note that if this is not just Maddie being a sourpuss, you shouldn't judge people based on their appearances (obviously) and all that yadda yadda yadda.

Overall, I wasn't as impressed with this chapter. It felt like filler, and no chapter in a novel should feel like filler. Since these chapters are split up, maybe it works better with 2.1, but it still felt rather slow and like there wasn't a lot happening. Sometimes that's a good thing when things have been fast-paced, but so far it hasn't been like that at all (it's not been super slow, but you don't need to slow down anytime soon). On the note of slowing things down, you usually want to get more characterization in during those slow times.

I'm not saying this chapter isn't important, but I think it could have been condensed so you could get to some more important and interesting content.

I'm always up to do some novel talk, so know that you can contact me anytime!

~Storm




rosette says...


My feelings exactly, therefore the "meh" description. :( I kind of got lazy with this part and threw it out here, though the chapter isn't over yet. There is a 2.3 coming along, which hopefully won't be so cringey...

Concerning the church sign, she's just happy to see something familiar because their old church was Pentecostal, as well. Which I probably didn't explain very well. And yes, Maddie really is a sourpuss and has a knack for judging people, as you can see. She really irritates me, sometimes. xD

Thanks for the link! And the review! :D I might contact you sometime soon, but let's keep in mind that "might". :p



inktopus says...


that makes more sense. Also, no problem with the link!




We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead