Cedar Ravine: 2.1

by rosette

When Papa came home from the meeting at the church a few weeks ago and told us were moving, Jackson said no.

He said he was staying in Reno; he was 18 - an adult - with a good job, and he loved being the drummer at the church. He didn't need to leave, he said. "I'm not the pastor; what's the point of me coming along for the ride?"

Papa had instantly crushed that idea. He said this was a family effort, it didn't matter that one person was the actual pastor - the whole family was involved in the ministry. "No one is staying behind."

Jackson's eyes had ignited into icy blue flames at that, but his temper did not explode in a hot and angry volcano as I thought it would. He saw the look on Papa's face, and he knew the line had been drawn. Jackson wasn't stupid. His jaw did harden and his fists did clench, but for once in his life, Jackson was silent.

When Papa put his foot down, Papa put it down.

"Maddie."

I blinked out of my daze, glancing away from the window across from me. Mama was frowning slightly. "Hand me that box." She waved her thin fingers vaguely toward the left, and I shoved it across the wood flooring. Hard.

Her left eyebrow lifted. "Did Hannah ever call back?"

"No." I resumed arranging silverware in its tray.

I could feel her watching me, maybe searching for the right words to say. Hannah Schwartz was my best friend - sometimes my only friend, I thought - and one reason why the thought of moving miles away planted an angry seed in my heart. I supposed she had good reasoning for not calling back after my phone call last night. I had told myself throughout the night she was probably sick of my complaining and griping by now. Hannah always had been the happier one of our duo, never a fan of my negativity.

"It's not like I can get any service in this stupid town, anyway," I muttered.

Mama opened her mouth to respond but a sharp rap sounded at the door.

I paused, fork in hand, eyes darting to the window. I hadn't seen anyone walk past, or any shadow slip by, and no one in our family was outside. My stomach flipped uneasily. I hated unexpected visitors.

Mama stood and cautiously walked to the door, tucking some dark wayward strands of hair behind her ears. She glanced around the room, at the half-opened boxes and scattered household items, and shook her head a moment before warily cracking the door open. "Hello?"

"Good morning." The responding voice was cool, almost distant, and sounded like that of an older woman. "I'm your neighbor, Mary, and I thought I would stop by and welcome you seeing as you're new to town."

I froze.

Mama opened the door wider, offering a smile. "Oh, that's very kind. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Shasta, and this is my oldest daughter, Maddie." She nodded in my direction, and the shadow on the doorstep moved closer to have a look.

I wasn't sure what I expected her to look like - this neighbor that had watched my movements last night. Maybe she was intimidating and stern, maybe a conservative hermit. Either way, I felt no surprise when I looked into her steel gray eyes, though my body remained stiff.

She looked to be in her mid-fifties, with a graying bob of hair, and creases of wrinkles around her neck and unmoving pale face. I noted her crisp button-up shirt, and pressed jeans. She was a tidy woman. She would not withstand nonsense.

"Hello," she said. Her eyes were sharp, watching me again.

"Hello," I said. I set down the fork I still clutched in my hand.

"I apologize for the mess," Mama began, but Mary shook her head. "Don't apologize."

"Would you - would you like to come in?" Mama appeared flustered.

It was almost as if Mary had been waiting for the invitation. "Yes, thank you."

She stepped in, hands folded before her, and took a seat on the sofa across from me.

Mama shut the door. "Excuse me a moment while I - get my husband." She shot me a sharp look before retreating down the hallway, and I caught the message to be polite and possibly converse. But what if I don't want to?

Mary was watching me again. A chill slid down my back. Was this the norm?

"You'll get used to it," she said, quietly.

I blinked at her, startled. "Get used to what?"

"This town, these people, living in the middle of nowhere." Let's not forget your constant watching. Her face was void of expression, her voice remained cool. "But be careful who you befriend."

I thought that was a strange warning, but I wouldn't let her see it. "I don't befriend people. They befriend me."

"I can see that," she said. Her gaze moved away from me, travelling around the room.

I didn't know whether to be offended or satisfied. I looked at my hands clutched in my lap instead.

Footsteps sounded, and Papa appeared with Mama trailing behind. He smiled pleasantly. "Hello!"

Mary inclined her head in recognition, but no smile crossed her face. "You're the pastor."

Papa hesitated, then nodded slowly. "Yes... yes, I will be." He tipped his head to one side, inquiringly. "Are you familiar with the church?"

Mary laughed. I glanced sharply at her. It was a dry and humourless laugh, but the flat and collected facade had cracked for just a moment. "I would never call that place a church."

We stared at her.

Papa's forehead creased. He looked unsure on what to say. "Did you... know the former pastor?"

She stood, hands still folded before her, and looked directly at Papa. "I wish you the best of luck at your job." With a nod to the three of us, she added "good day to all of you," and walked out, closing the door behind her.

Silence enveloped us briefly before Mama wrung her hands, turning to Papa. "What was that?! Did she only - what was the point of that?"

Papa shook his head, slowly. I could see the wheels in his mind working, analyzing the conversation. Mama remained agitated. "John, who is she?! What does she know about the church?"

I shut her out, rising to my feet and moving toward the window. If I craned my neck far to the left I could see her, walking carefully through the weeds around the side of our house. I watched her, feeling somehow justified for my action.

She knew something. She knew something about this church, and she was hiding it from us. Why? I watched her disappear around the corner. Why, Mary? What are you hiding? 

mellifera wrote a review...

Hello, I'm back again!

-I know their father put his foot down and all, but what would he have done if Jackson had flat out refused to go? Jackson doesn't seem to me like the type to be 'intimidated' (for lack of a better word) by something like that, even if his father was putting his foot down and taking charge and such.

I supposed she had good reasoning for not calling back after my phone call last night.

I think you could elaborate on their phone call. I get an idea of how it went, and what might have happened, but it's just unclear enough that whatever 'good reasoning' is confusing to me.

I hated unexpected visitors.

So do I, Maddie. So do I.

-This is relevant, but I just wanted to say I love the name Shasta. It's such a pretty name <3

-I feel like I picked up on a lot of telling over showing in this chapter. (Mama appeared flustered, I didn't know whether to be offended or satisfied, He looked unsure on what to say, etc). Maybe there wasn't as much as I'm imagining, but it felt like there was an uneven balance to me.

-The conversation with Mary feels a little choppy to me, like a lot of it is dialogue without any actions/descriptions. It might just be because I over describe my conversations though.

-What ARE you hiding, Mary? I'm super pumped to see how her character fits into the story! I'm not 100% sure what to make of her yet. She's already such an interesting character, and I don't know whether to think she's going to be helpful later on or detrimental.

I hope this review was somewhat helpful to you (sorry it was kinda vague), and that you have a wonderful day! <3

rosette says...

Ah, yes. Dialogue, dialogue is such a pain, sometimes! *wails*

Thank you once more for the review! Helpful, as always. :D

mellifera says...

*pats* The struggles of us writers.

Glad I could be on assistance again :D

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:27 am
Junel wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm glad to see this continuing.

First nitpicks:

This might be just me, but I had to reread this a couple times to understand. I think it's just isn't clear that you are talking about the past fast enough. Changing what I have bolded to had come. What you have is fine, but this makes it more clear to the reader.
to leave,he said. "I'm not the

Just slight things, but the comma should be a period (making he capitalized) and the period should be a comma.
He said this was

You use quotes earlier, but not here. It'd be nice if you just kept this consistent though.

Note about this scene: I enjoyed hearing about this, especially because I had been wondering why her brother was there if he was 18, and you that, but I'm not sure that this is the best place for it. What would have made her decide to remember that right then? I think this might fit better somewhere else. Either later, or earlier when they are still in the car, and she is describing her brother.

My only other comment is that sometimes the dialogue tags felt wither a bit dry and slowed the sorry down. These can be hard to get perfectly so they don't do this, but you are close, just a bit of tweaking would fix this.

I really enjoyed reading this little section. It doesn't give a lot of information, but its intriguing. I like the bit of personality that each character reveals in this short section and Mary seems quite an interesting and knowledgeable character.

Anyway, I hope my review is helpful to you!

Sláinte -Junel

rosette says...

Thanks again!

Dialogue isn't a strength of mine, as you saw but I'm trying to work on it. :P

I totally need to transition better from that Jackson part. *cringe*

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 am
inktopus wrote a review...

Hey, rosette! Storm here to review, so let's get into it!

I'm not going to put it all in a quote, but I don't know how I feel about the summary of what happened between Jackson and his father. It was obviously important, but I think that just doing a random summary (even though it's at the beginning of a chapter) isn't the best way to give the audience this information. I think a better way might be a flashback to put the audience more into the scene, or even change it so that Maddie doesn't know what happened and she asks Jackson or her father what happened. A benefit of the second option is character interactions which will help the audience not only get a feel for both of the characters involved but the relationship dynamic between the two as well.

I wasn't sure what I expected her to look like - this neighbor that had watched my movements last night.

I like the sentence structure here, but I don't like the way the last half of this sentence is worded. I feel like it might be unnecessarily complicated. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any suggestions on how to change it (real helpful, aren't I?) but just some food for thought.

She would not withstand nonsense.

The google definition of withstand doesn't work with how it's used here. I'd change it to tolerate or something similar because the definition of withstand isn't quite right for it to work in this sentence.

"I don't befriend people. They befriend me."

This is an odd thing to say to a total stranger. Even if Maddie was feeling a bit snappish, the fact that she would say that to a stanger and the content of what she just said don't really go together. If she was too shy to make friends, wouldn't she similarly be too shy to be borderline rude to a person she's never met before (and is seemingly a bit wary of)?

This Mary character has piqued my interest. I'm really curious to see where this goes. Does this church have a dark secret? Is this a mystery?

You're doing a great job of getting the ball rolling on this story. I think the pacing is impeccable. I don't really have much to say about this chapter than what I already mentioned, so good luck writing more, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen next.

Know that I'm always up for a conversation about novels I'm following, so take me up on that (if you dare).

~Storm

rosette says...

Yikes, I didn't intend for Maddie to come across as shy, just... not exactly the friendliest creature on the planet... :0

I'm also glad you said something because that Jackson info dump was seriously irritating me. XD

inktopus says...

Whoops! I totally misinterpreted Maddie then. Everything up until now make a lot more sense, though keep in mind that other readers may make this mistake, so you might want to make it a little clearer.

As for the Jackson info dump, I'm so glad I could help! If there's ever a particular part you'd like advice on, definitely tell me so I can see what I can do.

rosette says...

Great, thanks! :)

Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman