There's something on the road

by rohan

There's a big commotion on the road.
Like everyday, everyone has a place to go,
Unlike everyday, nobody's in a hurry to move,
There's a celebration on the road.

Cars and trucks and men with drums,
Dance together, today's no humdrum.
Every vehicle has god on it,
Men's tiny shoulder carry the weight of god,
There's a show of devotion on the road.

Not rain nor cold
Can hold the procession,
Travelers will have to
Make way for the progression,
There's faith of the nation on the road.

Different hearts have not come closer,
It'll have to wait for its turn,
Maybe it'll happen some day.
All the lanes have turned into one today.
Stand in awe! Bow before the lord,
There's an ambulance stuck on the road.

They wait every year,
Make the path grand for their god,
There's still many potholes on the road.
They make great noise, celebrate their god,
There are children with their homes on the road.

Starve wrote a review...

Hi rohan ! Traves here for a quick review.

My first impression is that this is a more resigned/cynical work rather than angry one at the inconveniences and troubles groups and individuals inevitably suffer as they clash in their life goals. Of how the small fry is brushed aside when religious processions take to the road. Though there are many reasons. I like how the thoughts and observations link and pile upon each other as the poem progresses, and some are very poignant.

There appear to be some grammatical errors and awkwardly worded lines—
- It should be either 'a god' or "God" although the latter is used more by Abrahamic faiths
-Men's tiny *shoulders
-In the second last stanza it feels like it should be *they'll have to wait for their turn since hearts are the subjects of the sentence. It could refer to the coming together but still feels awkward to read
- *There are still many potholes on the road

The capitalization and punctuation are distracting too. Did you use the default word processor capitalization (capitalize every new line) ? It hurts the flow while reading especially where enjambment is used. Here are some amazing forum articles on them,I recommend reading them when you get time.
Punctuation in Poetry
Capitalization in Poetry

I'll use the poetry review format I learnt in a YWS workshop a few years ago for the poetry side of it.

1. Similes and metaphors — I caught one direct metaphor in the poem, the "different hearts" standing in for the people. There appears to be one hidden in a double meaning in

, where the shoulders although literally carry the weight of the statues of deities but also are implied to be thinking that they are carrying it otherwise too — that their religion would fall from its heights if they did not proffer their shoulders on that day on that road. Let me know if I got anything wrong. If you're going for a re-write, this is one area you could improve on, although it's not necessary.

2. Characters, conflict and resolution —
These I feel are the strongest points of the work. The characters are well defined. The ordinary people congregating into one mass of devotees, and the scattered individuals hurt by them. Including those introduced at the very end in one of my favourite lines

You create the setting and characters deftly with short, sharp images. The resolution, as I mentioned initially feels cynically resigned as is the reality, so it could be said there is no real resolution.They wait for the processions to pass by, and those who can, carry on.

3. Meaning/story/moral in 2 lines — The work throws light on the callousness that people congregating to celebrate an almighty benevolent being ironically exhibit, and those that can do nothing in the face of it.

All in all, the work had some strong images to support it and definitely painted the whole picture bit by bit. Something which could be done with quick edit would be the flow improvement through thinking about capitalization and punctuation choices, and to a lesser extent line length variation. Otherwise, the work feels complete as it stands.

Keep writing and sharing !

nanda wrote a review...

How beautifully written and elaborated!
I am impressed with your way of writing. It is an amazing piece of work. I really appreciate you for your sentimentality which is being reflected here in your work. It is a great thing. I love it! I expect to read more such works filled with devotion and sensitivity from you . Beautiful and fabulous. I wish you a good luck for future!
Best wishes
Mahira

nanda says...

How beautifully written and elaborated!
I am impressed with your way of writing. It is an amazing piece of work. I really appreciate you for your sentimentality which is being reflected here in your work. It is a great thing. I love it! Best of luck for future!

Lethargic wrote a review...

Wow. Just, wow. Reading the first few lines, I thought this was going to be a relatively innocent poem about a parade. I was wrong. I love the repetition of the words “road” and “god” throughout the poem. The repeated stanza ending is really effective, as well. The best part in my opinion, though, is how those last two stanza endings took a turn. Until then, the voice of the poem felt rather neutral on the subject of the parade. Overall, this is a great poem!

Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 am
Tanishka wrote a review...

Hi rohan here for a review

Amazing poem , for sure . Reading the title you might feel it is about something else. It is like you are talking of an incident which deeply affected you. It is a satirical piece, I think, and you have written it really well. My favorite will be the last stanza , which also gives a very nice close to the poem.

One thing you could work on is word choice to give the poem a more nice sound . If you want you can make the layout more regular but it is totally up to you. All in all , it is an amazing poem .

Keep up the good work!!

Wow! The rhythm in this poem is amazing. You mentioned the cars and men with drums you should add more of what it sounded like outside because you focused a lot on what it looked like. Other than that I can not think of anything else that I would change.

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan