z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

“Tell Me About It” - A Letter To My Therapist (revised)

by nykolasandrews


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

What the fuck do you want me to say? Do you want me to tell you how his inexperienced hands of puberty stole my childhood? Do you want me to tell you that even though he was 16 and I was 7, it was probably both our first times? Do you wanna hear about how I could never trust my family again because everyone seemed to know about it, but no one did a damn thing about it? Not his parents, my parents, not even my own siblings. They somehow managed to bury it in the backyard with all of the other untold stories. My assault was not the first, nor the last to be buried.

Do you want me to count how many family events since then he’s been openly invited to? How many birthday parties I shared with him? Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, birthdays, everything was shared. I’m old enough to know now that I can say no to seeing him without feeling bad, but it still comes with a price, like missing my sister’s wedding.

My attempts at relationships have been eternally fucked. The first guy who ever told me he loved me cheated on me because I wouldn’t give him free reign of my body at 14. Like my body is just disposable; use and throw away, and if it doesn’t work, get a new one. The first guy I ever fell in love with used me for my body. And the only reason I let him is because I was scared he’d leave me too. I spent my entire life feeling alone; I can’t take it anymore.

I just spent 14 months with someone who told me he wanted to marry me and I wasn’t good enough in the same breath. I had to smoke my way into the cloud to run from the horrible thoughts and keep myself alive. His grandfather was a potential predator when he was alive, and that somehow equates to my sexual assault, so I wasn’t a real victim. I just wanted an excuse to be sad and hurt myself as if he wasn’t reason enough.

I can’t even explain to you. You wanna hear the truth, but the truth doesn’t even make sense. There are times where I need someone to hold me until I fall asleep, crying in their arms. I need someone to show me that my pleas aren't useless. And then there are times where I can't be touched because he broke me. How do I explain that to anyone without marking myself as a victim?

My hands ache from the pressure of my anger and angst. My bones are cracking from the weight of my insecurities. I have more emotions flowing in me than blood, and I feel the dam that’s holding my emotions breaking every time I write. My heart can’t handle this capacity, but I have no way to let it out without drowning in it. Do you want to hear about that?

Why don’t we talk about something that actually matters? Predators, rapists, pedophiles; they’re all hiding the crevices of our families. We all see them, but no one ever does a damn thing about it. The victims are too small or scared to speak up and everyone else wants to keep their reputation up. No one wants to be related to a predator. Well, no one wants to be prey to one either, but now I have because no one had the guts to stand up for a 7 year old. I’m prey to him every time I have to be near him. I’ve been gutted for years; my worth and safety, devoured.

Every week, I walk into your office, and you hand me a list of emotions. And the only one that ever seems to stand out is shame.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 390
Reviews: 103

Donate
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:11 pm
View Likes



About the poem itself: it's written very well, and your flow is wonderful. The last sentence is incredibly powerful, and this whole work has made me a lot more aware of what a lot of people have had to go through.

I'm so sorry you went through that. There's nothing else I can really say except that I'll be praying for you and hoping you can heal. Stay safe




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 226
Reviews: 58

Donate
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:16 pm
View Likes
YourFriendQuirks08 wrote a review...



Heya, Idk if it's good to call this a review, maybe just a comment on here.

First of all, I am so shocked reading this: our world is awfully evil and sinister. I am unbelievably sorry for all you have been through, you are worth it and I hope that in the future you speed to recovery.

Your fluidity is incredible by the way. Each sentence easily flows to the next with no interruptions. I can feel a strange emotion when reading words on a screen...it is powerful to be sure.

Take care and stay safe,
I love you <3
Love Rubes x




User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 83
Reviews: 110

Donate
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:24 am
View Likes
illy7896 says...



If this really happened, I hope that you will be okay. It's unjust that stuff like this happens. Like the reviewer below, I hope that you find that person.




User avatar


Points: 53
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:38 am
View Likes
bmeskis wrote a review...



This is really wonderful and I appreciate your vulnerability. I'm sorry you went though all this. One of my favorite lines here is "There are times wehere I need someone to hold me until I fall asleep, crying in their arms." Honestly, there is so much good work in here but I love that line in particular because I understand that feeling. I hope you find or have found that person.





The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb