Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Narrative

I Was Nominated As Fiction Writer of the Year

by nwakaemechinonso12

Do you know that feeling you get from being noticed when you think that you are far from getting nominations or awards? This is it!

When I was very young I used to be so DULL, as in, Chinonso Nwakaeme (chuks donchester) was so dull and inactive that teachers pitied my mom whenever she came to pick me up from school because they often wondered what a terror I must be at home.

Yes, I was a terror at home, I was always tearing papers, writing stories, drawing cartoons, gluing drawings to walls and endlessly trying to sneak out of the house to play. In school, I wasn't really considered the 'scholar', even though my teachers said that if I played less, I'd do better but I didn't care.

I was ME and if you didn't like it, 'go and hug transformer'. As I got into secondary school I knew what I wanted to be in life, 'an economist'. Huh? Wetin? What? That was the expression in my family member's faces, and teachers too as everyone knew that Chinonso might do well in the practice.

By the time we started proper essay writing in school, I always came out tops to the annoyance of some my teachers as they felt that the 'Best' in English or literature should be reserved for the quiet students and most times they scored me low.

In a nutshell, it took me time to acknowledge my talent in writing even after publishing series of short stories as a child (which was really through the effort of my parents especially my mom *thank you mommy* you help me most nights to complete the story). When I found that my mother wanted to help build my writing talent, I got more exicted to write, I started seeing myself as a writer.

I loved writing it was part of me. I decided to pursue my career towards that direction. I enroll for Creative writing school in USA and went for a certificate programme in writing.

Eventually when I started work, one day, I decided to start this 'blogging thing' that many people I knew was into. At first I started with Nwakaeme Chinonso's blog, which triggered other blogs I created. Two months later, I published several published work like: UNDERSTANDING THE THREE T’S TIME TALENT, TREASURE, THE VOICE OF AFRICAN CHILDREN, READING IS LIKE EATING JOLLOF RICE, HIDDEN IN A BOOK.

No one will understand how much this award means to me, it means that out of my restlessness as a child and my talkative nature as a young adult, 'something' was born. Now, I don't talk as much as I like to as I channel my talks into writing and so far, it's been very rewarding. The comments I see on my blog spurs me on and assures me that I am putting smiles on beautiful people's faces through my writing. However, I acknowledge that I am still a work in progress and with God on my side, I'll definitely get there. This nomination has given me the courage to spur on as I am certain now more than ever that I was called to be a Writer.

For the Nigerian Writers Awards, I was nominated under the FICTION WRITER OF THE YEAR which I believe is for my creative writing. It seems people have to vote and the judges have to choose as well but for the fact that I made the list, I am so excited.

FICTION WRITER OF THE YEAR

1.JULIUS BOKURU (THE ANGEL THAT WAS ALWAYS THERE)

2.OLUWASEGUN OLUFEMI FRAGILE- (LETTERS TO GOD)

3.OLAJUMOKE OYEYEMI (WHAT IS NOT YOURS IS NOT YOURS)

4.IKIMAT SALAWU-YUSUFF (MEMORY CARD)

5.NWAKAEME CHINONSO

6.SALLY KENNETH DADZIE (THE FOURTH FINGER)

7.MEDICINE MAN (IBEH NWOKOCHA)

8.AHUBELEM AZUBIKE A. (DON’T JOIN)

9.AMADAK UBENG (UNDERWORLD HEAVEN)

The Award Jury is composed of individuals of high moral stature with demonstrated commitment to the ideals of the Nation and who have distinguished themselves in their respective writing fields and covers virtually all category of writing (Online/Print media, Arts and Literature).

Only Spoken words poetry, writers’ supportive brand of the year, Song writer of the year, Entertainment writer of the year, writer of the year and blogger of the year are eligible for voting, others will be determined by the Jury and winners will be announced on the Award Ceremony. To vote send Nominee’s name and the category to nominate@nigerianwritersawards.com. Voting ends on the 14th of November 2015. Visit www.nigerianwritersawards.com for more details.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Hey there!

Good for you getting the award! That is an awesome achievement!

I would agree with Kaos that it somewhat seems like this piece went into the wrong genre (not quite an article, more like a memoir -- did you know YWS has blog post options?) :) It may assist the readers of this piece if your were to put an author's note at the beginning explaining why you wrote this piece, or what it means to you.

I found the use of "all capital letters" to be a bit distracting, but that is just my personal opinion that they should be used sparingly.

There were a few English grammar mistakes throughout - but generally I could follow the piece. For instance there's no need to capitalize "writer" if it doesn't begin a sentence. On the other hand "mommy" ought to be capitalized if it's being used in place of the name of your mother and isn't preceded with the word "the" or "my". In the last paragraph there's no need to capitalize "Jury". It's also a bit odd that the voting ends in 2015, but it's 2016 now -- did you write this piece long ago?

Any ways, congratulations again on your award nomination! That is truly a great achievement for you, and you should be proud of your hard work.

~alliyah

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:14 am
Kaylaa wrote a review...

This is Kaos here for a review!

So I didn't really find this to be as much of an article as it is more of a memoir? It's an article by technicality, but it doesn't really feel in that way. It gives off the information but it does tend to get a little silly in places like 'go hug a transformer' that makes this article or essay feel informal at points which is something that I wanted to touch on.

It doesn't really have to be a formal essay in that it is more about yourself and I think that this would work better as something lax but at the same time something that's talking about how you got nominated for writer of the year. It takes a different turn than we would normally expect with this and it's an odd topic for an essay. We see you talk about writing and how you grew up with it and being in school with it but I would've liked to see the more personal experiences with it and why specifically that you wrote.

Things that went on more about why you like writing and everything of that sort and the connection you have to it as well as talking about your actual writing in itself. The ending to this article is something that I didn't particularly like? It advertised about the contest and didn't really end on a note actually about what was going on in the rest of the article. At the same time, I thought that this article didn't do as much good at being very factual with its statements or providing many facts and it felt rather informal, so I'd suggest changing it if you didn't intend for it to be that way.

I hope I helped and have a great day!

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:48 pm

The Award Jury is composed of individuals of
high moral stature with demonstrated
commitment to the ideals of the Nation and who
have distinguished themselves in their respective
writing fields and covers virtually all category of
writing (Online/Print media, Arts and Literature).
Only Spoken words poetry, writers’ supportive
brand of the year, Song writer of the year,
Entertainment writer of the year, writer of the
year and blogger of the year are eligible for
voting, others will be determined by the Jury and
winners will be announced on the Award
Ceremony. To vote send Nominee’s name and
the category to
nominate@nigerianwritersawards.com. Voting
ends on the 14th of November 2015. Visit
www.nigerianwritersawards.com for more
details.

There is more to life than making fart noises, and then laughing about those fart noises.
— Waddles, Gravity Falls