Slow Down

by mintanchor

Slow Down Speedy World

You’re Moving Far Too Fast

Expectations are high,

with the motivation low

Living life is harder than they

will ever let you know

I worked all day,

and got Nothing done

I slept and Woke up more down

Than I had begun

Slow Down Speedy World

You’re leaving me in the Past

They spend all of their year

Preparing for the next

Never stopping once

To Pause to Take A Breath

Slow Down Speedy World

You’re Moving Far Too Fast

They Have their Lives all Planned Out,

Why is that not me?

How Can they keep swimming

With Never Knowing where

How can they Keep breathing

Without any Air

Slow Down Speedy World

You’re Moving Far Too Fast

What does it mean,

With the World just out of reach from me

With the climb uphill,

while they slide right on down

With the fight never easing,

While they laugh with a frown

Struggling to stay up at the bottom,

While they pity me from the top

Slow Down Speedy World

You’re Moving Far Too Fast

Slow Down Speedy World

You’re leaving me in the Past

Slown Down Speedy world

I don’t Think that I will Last 

Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:10 am
FeatherPen wrote a review...

Gooday mintanchor,
Happy review day!

I’m stepping out of my comfort zone in reviewing poetry because i liked this poem so much.

I agree with @priceofwords in how relatable this poem is and that it would be significantly easier to read broken into stanzas.

The refrain
Slow Down Speedy World
You’re Moving Too Fast
Is fantastic and repeated just the right amount.

Your rhyming also works well and doesn’t feel staged as much poetry often does.

In addition to breaking it up into stanzas, I think more punctuation would help when it is read out. For example a comma could help here;

I slept and Woke up, more down
Than I had begun.

and a continuity of question marks would also help.
As it stands it feels to me like the punctuation was started but not finished. I’m also intrigued as to the scattering of capital letters.

I enjoyed this poem and its well portrayed subject and particularity liked the comparison to swimming and drowning made in this stanza;
How Can they keep swimming
With Never Knowing where
How can they Keep breathing
Without any Air

keep writing, Ferran

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:03 am
Que wrote a review...

Hello Mint! :D
Happy Review Day~
The first thing that I wanted to mention was capitalisation. Although I very much agree that this is a stylist choice that an author makes, I feel like it is not necessary to capitalise most of these words without reason. Again, your choice, but maybe cut it back to just "Slow Down Speedy World" for consistency and emphasis.

I slept and Woke up more down
Than I had begun

Honestly, this doesn't make too much sense to me. Waking up is an easy concept- "more down"? And then the second line doesn't connect very well either.

To Pause to Take A Breath

Maybe and would work better to replace the second to here. ^_^

With Never Knowing where

I would think that "Without ever knowing where" would work better here for flow.

In general, I would just suggest reading through this for flow, and if you're going to rhyme it's better to keep it consistent or not rhyme at all. Around the middle, your pattern falls away and it takes away from the structure of the poem.

I think this highlights some main struggles in people's lives, so nice idea overall. Good job and keep writing!

~Falconer

Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:35 am
unluminescent says...

I love this poem. It's relatable and sounds beautiful when read out loud. Great job. :)

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 pm
priceofwords wrote a review...

Hello, priceofwords here!

I thought this was a great topic you used for this poem. Very relatable, as I'm sure we've all felt the unwanted speed of life at some point!

In terms of your capitalising some of your words/phrases, I was wondering, is this a punctuation theme in your poem? If so, some of your other words are capitalised, such as

'Past,' 'Last,' 'Think.'

I would correct at least a few of these if I were you, whether intentional or not, as they disrupt the flow of your poem a little.

I would also strongly suggest you split your poem into stanzas. Without this separation, it becomes very wordy and is a little harder for the reader to get into.

However, aside from this, I really liked this poem. In particular, something about the lines,

'and got Nothing done

I slept and Woke up more down

Than I had begun,'

really appealed to me. There was just something great about your rhyming there. :)

Overall, a great poem, and I look forward to reading more of your work!

priceofwords :)

mintanchor says...

Thank you so much :)
I really appreciate the review!
To respond, I had the poem seperated into 2-line stanzas, but I messed up on the copy-paste formal for this website, same with the capitilization.
Thanks again for the feedback :)
-minty

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles