Home » Literary works » Poetry » Romantic

the artist.

by lilithyoung

the way Michelangelo painted the Sistine, you painted me.

you laid on your back and brought me to life through the brush of your kiss.

against your tongue came mine into existence,

for your fingertips, you made my cheek.

through the night you created the curve of my waist,

by sunrise you drew my thigh.

you sculpted everything-

from the bend of my lips, to the arch in my back,

to fingernails, to ears, to neck, hips, palms, teeth, eyelashes.

with your ribs, you made mine.

in my smile, i was made to hold our happiness.

in your hands, you were made to hold me.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm
kate2020 wrote a review...

THIS WAS INCREDIBLE! You captivated me with every line. I wish you could have added more because I didn't want to stop reading. One thing you could always try doing is adding rhyming words. You know me I don't do that often, but I think trying to use words that go together would make it flow easier. Darling, keep writing because you inspire me everyday! :))

lilithyoung says...

Thank you thank you thank you! I have been toying with the idea of trying to get my words and phrases to run more smoothly than they do through rhetorical devices and such, so since that's something you can tell I'm missing, I will try it! And thank you so much. YOU inspire ME every day.

All my love !

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:02 am
Storybraniac wrote a review...

I remember in literature class, we were often asked to link poetry with art, sometimes we would link poems to famous arts by other painters or draw our own. This was all to make us realuze that poetry itself is a form of art. I think it's really clever to etch art itself as a metaphor into this poem. Giving the intimacy between the two lovers a deeper meaning by correlating it to sculpting. It almost gives the effect the the writer was liek an incomplete human being, waiting for someone to sculpt the red tape of her into life., as the day blurs into the night and their relationship grows stronger, she becomes more and more complete. The imagery helps to paint a clearer picture of their relationship, I especially liked the line 'against your tongue came mine into existence' It's realle clever. The ending, as in all your poems, give the poem a whole new meaning. How the writer, now that she is complete, feels like it is her purpose to add happiness to both of their lives, and how it is the significant other, or the creator's job to guide her. I really liked this piece, probably one of your best. Looking forward to your next one <3

-Stor

lilithyoung says...

Thank you so much for this review! I always look forward to hearing what you might have to say about my works, and I'm really glad that you liked this one!

All my love,
Lil

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly