The Fire Underneath of Things - 24

by Rook

~1050 words

Ivy

Ivy left the Workshop that night reeling from all the information she’d learned and all the emotions she had grown so used to ignoring that had resurfaced. Nikki walked beside her in respectful silence until they reached Ivy’s flower shop.

“See you on Tuesday, then?” Nikki asked, concern still wrinkling her brow.

Ivy nodded distractedly and let herself in. “Thanks for coming with me,” she murmured.

“Any time you need me, I’m here,” Nikki said with a smile.

Ivy nodded again and closed the door. It was great to have a friend, but she needed time to process this. The father Ivy had so adored was most likely dead. The rational part of Ivy’s mind had suspected this all along, but there was still some part of her that had held onto hope. Now that hope had been dashed to pieces. Ivy hadn’t realized that sliver of hope had been holding back so much despair, but now she felt the sorrow wash over her shoulders.

She stood there for a while, in the front room of her flower shop, letting herself be swept away by sadness and a cocktail of other emotions like anger, guilt, and jealousy. Then, she felt a soft, reassuring presence at her feet. It was Ghost. He was rubbing up against her legs and purring. Ivy smiled through her tears and crouched down to pet him. He looked up at her with his lamp-like yellow eyes and mewed.

Ivy sat for some time on the floor of her flower shop, petting ghost who seemed like he couldn’t get enough. Petting him made her calm down, and soon she realized she was no longer crying. She sat a while more before realizing how tired she was and how much her lower back was aching from sitting on the hard wood floors for so long. When she stood up, Ghost protested with quiet meows, but Ivy just smiled down at him.

Her sleep that night was blissfully dreamless.

--

“Volcanoes, eh?” Ivy’s grandmother, Elle, said. “I must say it doesn’t come as much of a surprise. That Charlie always was a wild type. Every time he took my girl out on another adventure of his I feared I’d never see her again.” Elle laughed softly. Her voice was crackly, and her face was heavily lined, but her eyes always held a glimmer in them.

“It came as a surprise to me!” said Ivy. “He took me to all those places where there were volcanoes!” She was sitting on a chair next to Elle’s bed. Elle had a very hard time getting around anymore: her feet were always swollen and pained her much more than she let on. Ivy usually stopped by her house at least once a day to help with anything from cooking and cleaning to washing her grandmother’s feet and keeping her company. “Why didn’t he tell me?” Ivy continued. “I would have been terrified if I knew!”

“That’s probably why he never told you,” Elle said with a wink.

Ivy grunted, unwilling to admit Elle was right.

“Still, you say this workshop inventor fellow has all of Charlie’s old journals?”

“Yeah. He took really good care of them too. He practically worships them,” Ivy said, rearranging the flowers someone had brought over. It made Ivy glad to see she wasn’t the only person visiting Elle, but it was clear whoever had brought the flowers had no idea what good flower arranging was.

“If what you said is true—that he believes that the journals contain information about a cataclysmic eruption—then he may be right to practically worship them. He can worship whatever he wants if it means he’ll save the world from an ashen end.” Elle coughed a bit and took a sip of water from the glass on her bedside table. “I’m glad he found them for my own reasons as well. Out of all the things we had to sell from Charlie’s house, I’ve always regretted his journals the most. It didn’t cross my mind to save them, but by the time I remembered, they were already gone.” She pressed her lips together and shook her head, her fine, white hair floating around her like a cloud.

“I’m glad we ended up selling them. I don’t know if there’s any other person on Earth that could have made sense out of Dad’s old notes, not even me. But Alder’s the right kind of crazy.”

“He’d have to be if he thinks he can stop a volcano,” Elle said, then looked thoughtful. “He sounds like my kind of guy.”

Ivy gasped. “Grandma!”

But Elle was already rocking in her bed with silent laughter. The conversation devolved from there, with more usual talk about Ivy’s flower shop and the bluebirds outside Elle’s window.

Ivy bustled around Elle’s small house quickly doing the chores her grandmother couldn’t. She dusted shelves heavy with books and knick-knacks, swept the floor, and scrubbed the dirty dishes with a practiced hand. She noticed that someone else must have come by to wash Elle’s clothes, and Ivy wondered briefly if it was the same person who had brought the poorly-arranged flowers.

She poked her head back into Elle’s bedroom, but the old woman had nodded off in the pleasant warmth of the morning’s sun. Without saying a word, Ivy backed out of the room again, and left the house to go tend to the flower shop for the day.

Ivy's shop was closed on Sunday,so Ivy had most of the day to herself. She decided to have a bit of a day-off to refresh her spirit and start feeling normal again. She read a book full of fairy tales that her father used to tell her, played with Ghost some more, and finished a painting that had been gathering dust under her bed. It was a simple painting of a bouquet of flowers, but it would look very nice in the front room of her shop. She quickly pounded a nail into the wall and strung up the canvas. It looked right at home.

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Well, guess what this is. This is my fiftieth review of the month. When I finish it I will have completed #revmo . *takes a deep breath*

Nit-picks and nice moments:

petting Ghost who seemed like

Petting him made her calm down

I think that would sound better as "Petting him calmed her down" or "She calmed down as she petted him".

Ivy bustled around Elle’s small house quickly doing the chores her grandmother couldn’t.

It's a bit confusing to refer to her as both "Elle" and "her grandmother" in the same sentence. I know it's the same person but it almost like, grammatically sounds like they aren't.

Ivy's shop was closed on Sunday,so Ivy

Missed space.

Overall:

Sorry I didn't point out any nice moments as I was going through, got too engrossed, which I guess is it's own kind of compliment.

This isn't the most relevant thing in the world but you know the profile picture for BlueAfrica's The Chosen Grandma club? That's how I'm picturing Elle, and now I can't stop thinking she's some sort of secret ninja xD

Anyway, I think Elle is a really fun character, and especially the bit where she said something about Alder being her kind of man really humanised her. It showed that she wasn't just a flat old woman, but a real person with sadnesses and desires. She clearly cares for Ivy as well, which I actually wasn't expecting. The way Ivy's spoken about her makes her (Ivy) sound rather bitter, so I assumed Elle would be kinda grouchy. Unsure if I could pinpoint exactly what made me think that though.

My only real criticism is that I think the chapter could do with a little bit of direction at the end. Nothing really needs to change plot-wise, but it just sort of feels like it peters out. I think if you had something like "She would worry about the society tomorrow, or the day after" and then talked about how she passed the time in the last paragraph. It's not exactly essential, and even as I'm writing it I'm second-guessing myself, but it was my instinctual reaction, so I figured it made sense to tell you that.

Hope this helps and happy #revmo ,
Biscuits :)

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21 am
Que wrote a review...

Hey fortis! This was pretty fun, just a relaxing chapter after that bit of Grey-Strix tension from the last chapter.

Elle had a very hard time getting around anymore: her feet were always swollen and pained her much more than she let on.

If in remembering rightly, Ivy was supposed to live with her grandma after her father's death/disappearance, but she was more of her grandmother's caretaker than she was Ivy's. Unless that's wrong, it seems as though Elle has not been getting around for even longer than it seems here. Throughout the chapter, in fact, she seems much more able than I would've imagined from your earlier brief descriptions of her? I'm not sure what to say about that, just a thought.

Ivy usually stopped by her house at least once a day to help with anything from cooking and cleaning to washing her grandmother’s feet and keeping her company.

I know that, of course, you haven't revised the earlier chapters yet, but I think when you do, maybe mention Elle's significance a bit earlier? I mean, Ivy was once at Nikki's house, and age like slept a whole day. Wouldn't she be keeping her grandma updated with Grey and the other workshop happenings? I mean, if this is a daily visit, then they've got to have quite the close relationship, so I guess it's just some detail to add in later.

"Why didn’t he tell me?” Ivy continued. “I would have been terrified if I knew!”

That last line seems a bit strange to me, like why wouldn't she admit that her grandma was right? I can imagine her saying, "Still", with a bit of a grumble, but not really that, I don't know.

Anyway, that was it. It was a nice chapter, just kind of soft and warm and comforting. I'm glad Ivy gets a break!! She needs it.

-Q

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:40 am
BluesClues wrote a review...

YES OKAY. I obviously love Elle. Spunky old ladies TO THE MAX and I already loved her and then I got to this line and I just AHHHHHH yes.

Ahem. Moving on.

But I really hope she'll keep popping up in the story.

It made Ivy glad to see she wasn’t the only person visiting Elle, but it was clear whoever had brought the flowers had no idea what good flower arranging was.

I love this detail, because it really shows Ivy as a flower-arranger. This is precisely the kind of thing she would notice, because this is what she does professionally. It's a lovely detail.

I also like that Elle doesn't think Alder's crazy, per se. Like he is, kind of, supposedly, but then with what we know about Ivy's dad's journals...not so much. Really more science-minded, but really really bad at getting his point across in a way that doesn't sound like a crazy doomsdayer. ANYWAY, I like that Elle looks at what she knows about her son-in-law's journals and what Alder knows/says/has gleaned from them, and the craziest she thinks him is just that kind of science-minded crazy where you're just odd-thinking enough to make the big breakthrough.

Which of course always looks 100% crazy to people until in hindsight you're proven to be right.

I'm really curious to see how he thinks he can stop a volcano, though. I feel like that was sort of touched on in that chapter where Ivy learned he had her dad's journals, but I don't think he laid out a concrete plan? So I guess we'll have to see!

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm
PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hi fort!

So this is a relaxing chapter for Ivy, and it's good for her to be able to just chat with her grandma and read and paint. And I just realized what the title "The Fire Underneath of Things" allude to--the volcano! ;) In the club for your novel, I remember you were asking whether Ghost should be a familiar or not? If Ghost was, it's be interesting though! Perhaps Ghost'd be a good friend Strix...*rambles*

I think that you could expand the emotional scene when she returned home a little. I feel like just telling what happened will weaken the emotional impact. That current of emotions could rise to the apex in that scene, and then after that trail down into a dull ache or just hidden below in the next morning. It would also be a way to develop Ivy and Ghost's relationship as well.

I like Elle. She's kind of charming in her own way, at least to me? It's sweet of Ivy to stop by to help her grandmother cook and clean and I'm sure Elle appreciates it. I imagine they must be pretty close. I'm not sure I remember I ever met Elle before but I missed a few chapters and I also might have forgotten...O-O

Especially this line made me like Elle so much:

It was funny to me. A nitpick I have is that I'm not sure Ivy calls her grandma Elle, right? So does it make sense for us to know her as Elle as well? I don't know.

And a question.

She noticed that someone else must have come by to wash Elle’s clothes, and Ivy wondered briefly if it was the same person who had brought the poorly-arranged flowers.

Was it Ivy's flowers? xD

Anyway, this was a fun, relaxing read. I'll see you next time! :D

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina