Connection - 38

by Rook

~1006

Wait, mom died? The sound of Shandi’s voice was hollow. When? How? Why?

I don’t know. I had those same questions, Kerra responded. Well, I guess I do know the answer to one: when. I found her body in her apartment after your farewell party.

Farewell party?

Yeah, I thought you’d been watching me. We had a party instead of a funeral. We thought you’d like that better.

Shandi laughed. Well, you were right. But I’m not able to watch you all the time. Sometimes it gets blurry. I don’t know how to describe it. But… mom?

Yeah, Kerra sighed, The police think it was suicide but I don’t know. I just feel like it’s not. And I’ve been trying to figure out who might have done it and how, but I’ve only bumped into dead ends. Maybe the police were right after all.

Kerra, I know you. And your gut is usually right. Well, sometimes right. Shandi paused. Maybe once or twice it’s been right. But regardless of past events, you shouldn’t give up on something you really think.

I mean, there’s no evidence for it! But yeah, thanks.

I’m sorry, Kerra.

This took her by surprise. What for?

Mom’s death? Honestly? I’m not really sorry about that. Maybe a little. I need to think about it. But I know you were a lot closer to her than I was.

I still wasn’t very close, but yeah. Kerra felt another pang of regret that she hadn’t been closer to Ruth. Her mother had changed, but that didn’t mean that Kerra should have drifted so far away.

Still, sorry. But I can maybe help you out a little in figuring out who might have done it. I’ll keep my eyes open, though The only interesting things I can see are things you can see. But I’ll be here to help I guess. I don’t think I’m going away anytime soon. The guy I met here has been helping me figure stuff out, but I still don’t understand everything yet.

Thanks for the help, Shandi.

Any time, Kerra.

--

“This plan is never going to work,” Benji Fulton said. Benji was an infrastructure engineer who also did custodial work on the ship. Despite his clear smarts, what was even more obvious about him was that he appeared to be more muscle than man. Everen had seen him in the ship’s gym casually bench-pressing something like two-hundred pounds. She’d always been a little intimidated by him, but after that, she knew that she had good reason to. He could probably crush her skull with his hand.

But he was a really good man who Janna clearly trusted. Not only that, but he and Janna had been muttering about the captain’s odd behavior long before Everen had even realized the difference in conversions.

“You’re right, it is a terrible plan” said Janna, “but it was the only one we could come up with.”

“I don’t like it,” Everen said. Which was an understatement.

The plan was simple: Everen would act as bait while Janna and Benji kept her out of trouble and hopefully would catch the captain red-handed.

“It’s too bad, you’re going to have to do it anyway if you want this to all be over,” Janna said. “She’ll be coming soon. Let’s go Benji. You know what to do, Everen. Don’t forget to breathe. We’ve got your back.”

Everen nodded and tried to take a deep breath, but her lungs made the air all wobbly. It felt like all of the blood had been drained out of her hands and feet, and she had tunnel vision. She felt rather than saw Benji and Janna leaving her side and reminded herself to breathe out. She’d never done anything this risky, this crazy, ever before. If only Shandi could do it instead of her. Shandi would thrive on the danger. Everen was drowning in it.

Right on time, the captain rounded the corner, headed to the mess hall for her dinner. Say what you want about the captain, she stuck to her schedules. When she saw Everen—and probably noticed the panicked look in her eyes—the captain pulled up short for a moment.

“Oh, hi Everen. You surprised me.” The captain started edging toward the mess hall. “I hope you’re doing well.”

This was her chance. It was now or never. “Er, actually captain, I was hoping I could get the chance to talk to you. Something… serious has come up.” Everen glanced around as if she were afraid someone might be listening, but in reality, the only person she was afraid of was right in front of her.

“Oh? What is it?”

Everen knew that the captain was trying to appear nonchalant and unconcerned, but she could hear a distinct edge in her voice that let her know that she was definitely not comfortable in this situation. Happy to know that she wasn’t the only nervous one, Everen said, “I noticed a strange inconsistency with the units of measurement on this ship. I’m worried it might have something to do with the murders, and as we know, the murderer could be anyone, so do you mind coming with me to my room to talk about this? I can’t trust anyone but you.”

“Of course, of course, Everen.”

Everen started tip-toeing down the hallway, and when the captain gave her a strange look, she said, “No one even knows where I am right now. Otherwise I wouldn’t have come to you. If it gets out that I know about this, I might become a target, and I wouldn’t want you to be caught in the cross-fire. We need you.”

“Erm, yes. Right, right. We should be very careful.” The captain was growing more and more uncomfortable by the minute, Everen could tell. If the captain was this squeamish every time the subject was brought up, how could she never have noticed how guilty she appeared?

But of course, Janna had told her. The captain had been avoiding her.

A/N: clearly not the end, but I got to the right number of words and I’m out of time. Sorry for the rushed chapter. It’s been a crazy week.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:52 am
paperforest wrote a review...

Hey there fortis, it's me again! And maybe the slowness at the start of the previous chapter was just a necessary breather after some fast-paced action that I haven't read yet, because I think the pacing here is really good. (I promise I'll go back and read from the beginning again, I just really wanted to find out what happened next!) I actually can't think of anything to critique in the first half, it's a nice summation by Kerra and from what I've seen of Shandi, her reaction is very in character. I like the detail of having a farewell party instead of a funeral, it also shows me more about Shandi's character. I'm now very curious about the other guy in the blue afterlife (which I'm wondering if it really is an afterlife after all?), and why it's empty but for the two of them, and why it sometimes gets blurry for Shandi watching Kerra.

Also, ignore this if it was explained previously, but when I first thought of Shandi being able to see everything that Kerra saw I thought that she must be sort of looking out through Kerra's eyes, maybe using their telepathy thing, but then looking back at installment 37, Shandi mentions that she saw Kerra's expression when she was looking at the tablet with top-secret government records. So is Shandi like watching Kerra magic-mirror style, or is she like a ghost manifesting beside Kerra?

As for the second half, the first thing I noticed was this:

Despite his clear smarts, what was even more obvious about him was that he appeared to be more muscle than man.

It's an interesting description, "more muscle than man", but I have to say I'm not completely sure on what it means. The first time I read it I thought it meant he was more muscle than smarts, but that doesn't appear to be the case. On second thought, it kinda suggests to me that he's more muscle than, like, manly bravery/integrity/good-person-ness. Which explains why my first impression was one of slight foreboding and not completely trusting him. Not sure if that's what you're going for, because he seems like a pretty good guy otherwise, what with Everen going on so much about how she was intimidated by him but she's convincing herself not to be.

Although, when I put it like that it just kinda adds to my feeling of foreshadowing... I guess there's a fine line between a character overcoming their first impressions of someone, and foreshadowing that those first impressions might actually be right. The way you have it worded though, I think it's just Everen overcoming first impressions (because she seems pretty nervous about other things as well), and if it were to become foreshadowing, there would be more hints not to trust Benji later on.

Anyways, other than that everything's really good and you've got me hooked on the story! I was a bit confused about what the plan was until I read the next installment, but now I can't remember specifically what confused me and it all makes sense on rereading it, so I think it's good. Also, I applaud you on your ability to end on such good cliffhangers! On reading that last line, I was super torn between reading on in hopes of finding out why the captain had been avoiding Everen, or going back to find out more about the situation on the ship and see if that answered any of my questions... Also, the units of measurement thing is a really interesting and unexpected thing for a murder clue/motivation, I can't wait to find out how exactly it's connected to the murders, and if/how the murders on the ship are connected to the murder of Kerra's mother! Alright, I've rambled long enough. Hope I've said something if not helpful then at least motivating! Don't stop writing!

Rook says...

Thanks for these super helpful reviews!

Shady wrote a review...

fort!

Took me a few more hours than I expected, but I'm back again! :D Let's jump right on in...

I mean didn't she like literally just find out that Shandi could watch her like a minute before this? Like last chapter bur same conversation? Brace yourself for anal Shady coming in again for another review xD But I mean it seems odd for her to make assumptions like this this quickly? I'd think my gut reaction would be more like "oh oops yeah we did that thing" not "oh I thought you knew" since like... before the conversation she wouldn't have thought she would know, you know? ... I did not intentionally make it that complicated of a sentence. Oops. Sorry haha. Moving on...

Kerra, I know you. And you gut is usually right. Well, sometimes right. Shandi paused. Maybe once or twice it’s been right. But regardless of past events, you shouldn’t give up on something you really think.

hahaha wow, way to be supportive, sis xD

Everen nodded and tried to take a deep breath, but her lungs made the air all wobbly.

I'm honestly not sure I fully understand what you're going for here? I guess it'd be like a shaky breath sort of thing, but it's just kinda odd phrasing?

Shandi would thrive on the danger. Everen was drowning in it.

I'm not sure why but I REALLY like this bit. <3

No one even knows where I am right now.

Wee bit heavy handed, but then that might be just Everen being awkward and nervous. Just thought I'd mention it since I noticed.

~ ~ ~

Okay! Another excellent chapter!

I'm very excited to see what happens with the captain trap thing! As you acknowledged, the pacing is a bit rushed especially at the end -- but hey that's what you get with a LMS novel. You can def clean that up a bit when you go through revisions.

Otherwise, I also don't think I have anymore overall comments for this chapter either. As always, I'm looking forward to the next installment!

~Shady 8)

On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus