maybe i'll love her

by elysian

She caught my eye as she was standing a few spots ahead of me in line. She was a quiet kind of beautiful, the kind often looked over. Her brown eyes scrunched as she laughed delightfully at what her friend next to her had said, shining her white teeth. Her straight, long black hair swayed back and forth as she doubled over in a fit of giggles, shining when the light hit it just right.

I walked up to her, not entirely thinking, and asked for her number. She hesitantly gave it to me, giggling with embarrassment and her dark skin sporting a rosy glow. As I walked away, leaving what I was buying behind, I overheard them share a moment of joy before I disappeared from view.

Our first date was magical under the hanging lights at an outside restaurant. She nervously fiddled with her thumbs throughout the night, and I was surprised when she kissed me that night as I was leaving her on her doorstep. I guess she had always been the fearless type.

The night that I met her family, I remember telling her I love her under the stars in her backyard. I remember the smile that spread across her beautiful face, the sparkle in her eyes, and they way she kissed me that night. “I love you too,” was like the most beautiful music I had ever heard in my life.

That summer was full of adventures. We would drive for hours into the night, blaring John Mayer and speeding on country roads. One night, we pulled over around midnight and had a picnic under the moonlight. That night, under the stars, was the first night we made love. It was pure bliss, magical, extraordinary.

I remember the morning you told me you were pregnant, and although I was waiting to ask her to marry me until I had gotten her dad’s blessing, I got down on one knee right there and asked. She cried the prettiest tears of happiness and whispered yes a million times. I thought nothing could ever compare to that feeling.

It was perfect. Until the miscarriage.

The shriek from the bathroom, the sobs, the dread in my stomach. It was the second worst day in my life, aside from the day I lost her. It was so hard to find happiness in each other after that, although god knows we tried, nothing was working.

I took a deep breath in, looking at her in front of me in the line. I start to walk towards her, and our eyes met.

Maybe I’ll love her.

{excerpt from a novel i’ll never write 12}

AkeliaTaske wrote a review...

Hello, Akelia here! Time for a review.

First off, this work was well written and explained despite it's shortness! Short, sweet, and to the point are always the best. Now I do reviews a little differently than most people, the critiques and things that you can do better I call 'Sours' and the things that you did well are called 'Sweets.' Let's get on with the review!

Sours: The sentence- "and although I was waiting to ask her to marry me until I had gotten her dad's blessing," - seems a bit awkward. Not bad, but a few word changes and rearrangement might do the trick. May I suggest- "even though I was going to ask for her father's blessing before I asked her to marry me," -it could help.

Sweets: The ENDING TORE MY HEART. I knew it was too good to be true! You're ending was well preformed and you did an excellent job with putting the final twist on this short work, and making a reference to both the beginning and to the title. I was very impressed how you summed everything up in such a dramatic and heart-wrenching way. Good job!

Remember, never stop writing!

-Akelia

elysian says...

thank you <3

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this part of a novel that describes the meeting of two people who fall in love and are then separated by death after suffering some disagreeable experiences. I like the way that the writer attempts to convey an image of the woman via telling us she has straight black hair, tanned skin, and shinny teeth. That is showing and not telling.

However, please note that the rest of the story is telling and not showing. So in order to make it better, such scenes as the visit to her parents’ home, the proposal, the first night of sex, the loss of a baby, and her death would need to be conveyed as they occur. This requires dialogue.

Suggestions:

This belongs under the Novel Chapter or Short story category.

Quietness while displaying flashing white teeth and giggling while bending over seem to contradict one another.

Cliche

She caught my eye . . . .

Word Repetition:

Word repetition can become distracting.

shining = 2
night = 9

Tense Consistency

I remember the morning you told me
[I remember the morning she told me . . . .]

Sentence Fragment

It was perfect. Until the miscarriage.

[It was perfect until the miscarriage.]

All in all a very interesting read with great potential.
Looking forward to reading more of your work.

elysian says...

thank you! I will definitely be doing some editing on this piece. I include this series under poetry because I like to make it stylistically sound like poetry, and I will hopefully be making a poetry book out of it someday. This was not the best example of my poetic style in this series, and it definitely needs some work >.>

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory