z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Shipwrecked

by anniegirl123


My head was pounding. I didn’t know where I was, or how I got here but it doesn’t seem I’ll find out any time soon. Every time I even attempted to open my eyes, a blinding light assaulted them. I couldn’t even move without overwhelming nausea and pain sweeping over me. Aside from my head, the most pain was coming from my chest, making it rather hard to breathe.

It took a few moments to realize I was lying down. Whatever is under me feels grainy and scratches my skin, which already felt like it was burning. The second thing I became aware of was a strange cry, maybe of a bird? I wasn’t sure. Once the nausea and headache settled to a more bearable level, I slowly opened my eyes. So that light was the sun...

I squinted, lifting my hand to block the light from my eyes. A grainy substance fell from my hand in my eyes. I rolled on my side, rubbing at my eyes but only felt more of the weird- was that sand?- scratching at my face. Finally, I managed to get the sand out my eyes so I could see again.

I tried to sit up but collapsed back to the ground as another wave of nausea washed over me. Screwing my eyes shut, I waited for it to pass. Once it did, I reopened my eyes and gazed around the area from my laying position. A sandy beach...a few shells...the ocean. Where was I?

The last thing I remembered was being on a ship- no, a cruise. Me and my... where was my family!? Were they here too? I pushed myself into a sitting position, this time ignoring the pounding headache and sick feeling. No one in sight.

I stood up, but stumbled and fell down to me hands and knees. I could now see that I was on an island, a rather small one at that. From here I could see the other side of the island a few yards away; could something this small even be considered an island? I lay back down, panting from the exertion of trying to move.

Then the memories came rushing back. The storm, large waves, that drowning little girl. I had thought I was going to die, end up at the bottom of the ocean... But I guess I washed up here. No one even knowing where I am. I’m stranded.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 201
Reviews: 13

Donate
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:23 am
View Likes
21gmu wrote a review...



Hi @anniegirl123,
You story is very intriguing and I can't wait to find out what is going to happen next. The opening is very good and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I realized that you switched back and forth between past tense and present tense. For the most part you used past tense and I would try to keep it consistent.

---The beginning "My head was pounding. I don’t know where I am, or how I got here but it doesn’t seem I’ll find out any time soon." Stick with past tense or present tense instead of going back and forth. In this line, the first sentence is in past tense, while the rest is in present tense. In my opinion, it would be best for you to stick with past tense like most of the story. Also, after "seem" you should probably put "like" or "as though" to make it clearer.

---At the end of the paragraph, you said "Aside from my head, the most pain is coming from my chest, making it rather hard to breathe." It would probably make more sense to say "most of the pain" instead of "the most pain." Also, assuming you are sticking to past tense, it should be "Aside from my head, most of the pain was coming from my chest, making it rather hard to breathe."

---In the next paragraph, you said "It takes a few moments to realize I’m lying down." This should be "It take ME a few moments to realize THAT I'm lying down" (Obviously without capital letters, that was just to make it obvious what was wrong)

---Then you said "Whatever is under me feels grainy and scratches my skin. Skin that already feels like it’s burning." The second sentence here is a fragment of a sentence. If you combine what you are trying to say in the fragment of a sentence with the sentence before it, it would make more sense. After you combine it, it would be something like "Whatever is under me feels grainy and scratches my burning skin"

---At the end of the second paragraph, you said "Once the nausea and headache settled to a more bearable level, I slowly opened my eyes. So that light was the sun..." The transition is very weak and I feel that you should change it somehow.

---In the third paragraph, you stated "A grainy substance fell from my hand in my eyes." I am not quite sure what you meant here....it doesn't make much sense. I would work on making this part clearer.

--- Ok, so at the end of the third paragraph, you said "I rolled on my side, rubbing at my eyes but only felt more of the weird- was that sand- scratching my face." You need to add lots of commas here. It should be "I rolled on my side, rubbing at my eyes, but only felt more of that weird,- was that sand- scratching my face."

--- Now in the fourth paragraph, you said "I reopened my eyes and gazed around the area from my laying position." "laying position" sounds really weird here. Take that part ("from my laying position") out completely and end the sentence there. There really is not a need for that part and it makes no sense. The rest of that paragraph is really nice though.

--- At the end of the fifth paragraph, you said "No one in sight" This sentence is really dull and boring. If you were to leave it, I would change it to "There was no one in sight.", but I feel like you should expand and elaborate on it more.

--- So I really enjoyed the sixth and seventh paragraphs! I think you should change the ending a bit. "No one even knowing where I am. I`m stranded." The tense was a bit strange, considering the tense used before it...so I would change it to "No one knew where I was. I was stranded."

The main problem with your writing is that you tend to switch between past and present tense and have several mistakes throughout your story. Also, it would be nice if you were more descriptive and had more figurative language. I noticed you "published" it as a short story. Maybe you could edit it to a novel? I feel like there is more to the story! Now, for the plot of the story itself, I felt it was a good problem and very intriguing! However, I did not know much about the main character. What is her or his name? What does she/he act like? What does she/he look like? Why was he/she on a cruise? What is her or his personality? As for the surroundings, it makes sense that the main character himself or herself would be confused. So it makes sense why it would only be vaguely described little by little. I also tend to jump right into the story without describing much about the main character though, so I totally understand....just try to work on those things. In conclusion, try to stick to one tense (past tense?), work on the mistakes throughout your piece, and describe the main character more! Thanks a lot! I really enjoyed your story and I hope this helps!

-21gmu




User avatar
132 Reviews


Points: 2485
Reviews: 132

Donate
Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:26 pm
racket wrote a review...



Hello, Annie, racket here to review this short story!
Okay, well, firstly, I want you to know that this is a very good short story idea! I like how you gave her nausea and 'pounding' headaches. And the sun blinding the narrator (I'm going to call talk as if they were a girl) and her saving that little girl. Goodness, what happened to the little girl?! Also, the last sentence is awesome for this short! Though I'm still going to ask for a sequel, it does nicely close the story. Dramatic!
Well, one of the main problems I see here is that you can't decide on a tense. It starts in past tense, switches to present and then just keeps switching.

My head was pounding. I don't know where I am, or how I got here...

Do you see how the first sentence is in past tense? The 'was' gives it away. But then you start speaking more presently 'I don't know where I am...'. The majority of this short story is set in past tense, which, in my opinion, is easier to write. The first and the second paragraphs are the ones that have the most problems in this department.
...how I got here but it doesn't seem I'll find out any time soon.

You need to fix this sentence to past tense, firstly. Also, a comma would be nice right after the 'here'. This sentence would also flow a bit better if you added a 'like' after 'seem'. So it would be
...how I had got there, but it didn't seem like I'd find out any time soon.

...rubbing at my eyes but only felt more of the weird- was that sand- scratching my face.

Commas!!! Commas can be very helpful, especially before 'buts', 'ands', and other sentence dividers. So you need a comma after 'eye's. Also, that '- was that sand-' seems kind of abrupt and really interferes with the flow of the short. So... if you want to add that, at least add a question mark in there. It's a question and it sounds very wooden and abrupt by itself, rather than an interjecting thought. Just a thought, but I think an 'at' before 'my' would be nice here. Also, replacing the 'the' before 'weird' would be really nice. So your sentence would be
...rubbing at my eyes, but only felt more of that weird - was that sand? - scratching at my face.

Try to use a couple more commas throughout this whole thing. I've noticed a few spots where they would be welcome, but self editing is a priceless skill, and I don't want to be tedious, so see if you can find them! There's only a few, but they would make this short so much smoother.
Your last paragraph needs a bit of help. The 'saving that little girl' is awesome, just a little unnecessary. Obviously, the girl was not saved, as she is not on the island, and she does not mention actually succeeding in saving said little girl. So how about if you just say 'that little girl', or 'that drowning little girl'. That would play on the reader's nerves more, make us more involved in the story. 'Little girl? Oh, no, drowning!!! I've got to read more....!!!'
In your second to last sentence, the 'even' is not at all necessary and is a bit disruptive to the flow of this short, so I would suggest taking it out. Also, the last sentence is in first person. 'I was stranded' works much better.
Other than those few things, this is great! Write a sequel! 0.0 Keep writing!
~racket




User avatar
265 Reviews


Points: 16
Reviews: 265

Donate
Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:16 pm
myjaspercat wrote a review...



Hello anniegirl123,
Myjaspercat here for a review...

My head was pounding. I don’t know where I am, or how I got here but it doesn’t seem I’ll find out any time soon. ok so there area a couple things I want to point out here. The first one is that the two italicized sentences are different tenses. Your story reads from past tense into present tense. Make sure you stay consistent with your writing. The second thing I want to point out is that this is your beginning. That being said, it doesn't really stick out. When you write a story (even a short story) you need some sort of a hook to, well, hook your reader. Here, I'm not very hooked. Who cares that your narrator cant remember where they are, why does your reader need to know this. Give us something more to hold onto. Every time I even attempt to open my eyes, a blinding light assaults them. I can’t even move without overwhelming nausea and pain sweeping over 'over' doesn't really fit here in this sentence. me. Aside from my head, the most pain is coming from my chest, making it rather hard to breathe.

It takes me a few moments to realize that I’m lying down. Whatever is underneth me feels grainy and scratches my skin. Skin that already feels like it’s burning. this line seems to boring. The second thing I become aware of is a strange cry, maybe of a bird? I’m not sure. Once the nausea and headache settled to a more bearable level, I slowly opened my eyes. So that light was the sun... Ok so the transition throughout this paragraph is iffy. It just kind of jumps around and as I read it I started to get a little confused.

I squinted, lifting my hand to block the light from my eyes. A grainy substance fell from my hand in my eyes. I rolled on my side, rubbing at my eyes but only felt more of the weird weird what?- was that sand- scratching my face. how does sand scratch your face? Finally, I managed to get the sand out my eyes.

I tried to sit up but fell back to the ground as another wave of nausea hit me. Screwing screwing sounds to weird here my eyes shut, I waited for it to pass. Once it did, I reopened my eyes and gazed around the area from my laying position. A sandy beach... a few shells...the ocean. Where was I?

The last thing I remembered was being on a ship- no, a cruise <-Isn't a cruise still a ship? . Me and my... where was my family!? Were they here too? I pushed myself into a sitting position, this time ignoring the pounding headache and sick feeling. No one in sight.

I stood up, but stumbled and fell down again. I could now see that I was on an island, a rather small one at that. From here I could see the other side of the island a few yards away; could something this small even be considered an island? I lay back down, panting from the exertion of trying to move.

Then the memories came rushing back. The storm, large waves, saving that little girl. I had thought I was going to die, end up at the bottom of the ocean... But I guess I washed up here. No one even knowing where I am. I’m stranded.


Ok, well, that was a really rough-cut of a story. For one the ending didn't really feel like an ending, I actually checked to make sure that this was a short story and not a novel because I really feel like there should be something more. For one you tell a lot in story and that makes it very boring to read. I hope you have heard of the concept; show don't tell. Incase you haven't it basically means show your readers instead of telling them what is going on in the story. For example instead of just saying 'the storm' show us what the storm looked liked, felt like heck even smelled like. By showing instead of telling your story would become even better.

I do like the idea of the story though. The concept behind it is fine. I really like the idea of your protagonist saving a little girl and I wish you elaborated a little more on that.

Any-who that's all I have to say for now. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck and continue writing. ---Myjaspercat
----------------------------
"Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats." --Unknown.




User avatar


Points: 275
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:53 am
View Likes
topkek says...



The description in this story is really good, it almost felt like I was the character. Being a short story, I can't really tell if there is any plot behind it, but the way you weaved in the backstory of the character makes the story seem more realistic. From the start to the end the writing intrigued me, and the ending makes me want to know more about the story. Grammar and punctuation are pretty much prefect as far as I can tell, but there is one problem with the tense in the beginning, where it says "My head was pounding." As far as I can tell, the "was" there should be an "is" given that you switch to present tense for the rest of the story.

I really like this story, basically

(Sorry if this is a bad review, I'm new to this kind of thing)




User avatar


Points: 275
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:52 am
topkek wrote a review...



The description in this story is really good, it almost felt like I was the character. Being a short story, I can't really tell if there is any plot behind it, but the way you weaved in the backstory of the character makes the story seem more realistic. From the start to the end the writing intrigued me, and the ending makes me want to know more about the story. Grammar and punctuation are pretty much prefect as far as I can tell, but there is one problem with the tense in the beginning, where it says "My head was pounding." As far as I can tell, the "was" there should be an "is" given that you switch to present tense for the rest of the story.

I really like this story, basically

(Sorry if this is a bad review, I'm new to this kind of thing)





I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae