z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Mature Content

Belinda Cabbotry: Alter Number Three (PART 20)

by WillowCutz


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

There was a sharp pain in Belinda's arm when she thought of it. She had taken to writing in a diary so both of her would be aware of what was bugging the other. Things she didn't want other people knowing bugged her. Things like this.

She still couldn't picture it. Her in a bed with another man, a murderer no less. The thought of them in some motel somewhere kissing like her and David did. Maybe more than her and David did. How would she know if she had an STD? Or worse, was pregnant with that creep's kid. How would she know?

Her and Melanie were friends, they had been friends for years. Close enough to be sisters. Now there was another. Another young sister with, apparently, the hormonal craze of a teenager.

That word sent a stabbing pain into her stomach. Sex. It always made her uncomfortable, even when she was in high school. Even when she had a high school boyfriend there had been a thick line between her and that sort of relationship. It hurt to think about it, physically hurt.

Belinda turned over in her bed and rubbed her leg.

There was no way she would, not even as someone else. David was... David was hers. He was a necessity, she had convinced herself. She and Melanie agreed that he was the only man for them. That had to count for something. Or did it? Did her willpower mean nothing to her own head.

Belinda felt the pain spread through her spine and she couldn't sit still. All she could do was lie on her side in agony, silently crying.

This relationship wasn't possible, she decided. Not just for her own sanity, but time-wise, there was no way she and Melanie and everyone else wouldn't notice her disappearing.

The pain in her back subsided, but her legs still ached. She leaned over and turned on the bedside lamp. She picked up a Ten Thousand Wonders book and began to reread it.

***

Belinda woke up with a book crushed under her head. She threw it onto the ground and curled deeper into her covers in a vain attempt to fall back asleep. Staring up at the ceiling, thoughts began to crawl back into her head.

Am I bad? Am I a bad person when I think I'm doing the right thing? Could I not notice something like this? Does David love me? And how could that work out?

Tears fell onto the sheets and down onto the still open Ten Thousand Wonders book. For a second, Belinda tried so hard to only focus on those tears, and the little droplets they made on the paper. For a second the world was only her eye and the liquid film forming around her iris. The world was a drip of salt water falling from a dark blue sky into empty space dictated by simple physics. Slowly the world expanded past her into some new bigger force where it melted into virtual nonexistence.

Belinda knew very little about physics consciously, but subconsciously she was a prodigy. Like subconsciously, athletes just sort of know how to hit the ball or throw it or whatever. Belinda was also not very good at sports, but she imagined she would be if she could play them.

There was something spectacular about her gifts, but also something terrible.

***

Veronica and David stood in the doorway of Belinda's bedroom. Veronica frowned with concern. "I know after all she's been through with the..." Veronica paused to rephrase her initial sentence, "Whole situation... She needs sleep, but she's been in bed for two days. And she seemed fine before, if anything she seemed like she didn't really need all this break time."

"I know." David agreed, he watched Belinda's blanket rise and fall, the only evidence she was still alive.

"I've been leaving her food and water, which keeps disappearing so I know she's been up. And her sheets are clean so I know she's been up to pee. God only knows when. And she's not sick..."

"I'm not quite sure what you want me to do." David admitted.

"Talk to her. She's obviously depressed."

"But she's eating. She's going to the bathroom. She's not sick. She might just be taking advantage of her week off."

"Oh you know that's not true! She binge watched Doctor Who her first day, while doing sudoku puzzles and those other things she loves. Oh the... the... Anagram things."

"Nanograms."

"Yes! David, clearly something upset her the other day, now I don't know what you two did, but she needs to work that out with you."

"Fine." He sighed. David stepped over the stray books and the pile of clothes next to her dresser and kneeled down next to her bed. He stared at her thin arm peaking out of her sweatshirt as it pressed against her face. It was like a tooth pick, a pale tooth pick that had never seen the light of day. And her face was so at peace, so content, he didn't want to wake her. But Veronica slammed the door closed on her way out and Belinda's eyes flickered open.

"Hey." She said with a hoarse whisper. She scooted over to the far side of the bed to make room for him.

David slowly slipped under the covers, flinching at the shaking and squeaking he made. He rolled over on his side to face her. Belinda's eyes were half open and she pulled a pillow back under her head indicating that she did not want to sit up.

"Bells, what's up."

Her eyes flicked up quickly. "Ceiling." She whispered.

"You've been in bed for two days."

"So? It's not like we're in the middle of a case. I have a right to sleep." Belinda's eyes closed again and her legs fidgeted into a comfortable position. She reached over and pulled his right hand near her cheek.

"Bells, we know something's wrong, you... you got to talk... to..."

Belinda wrapped her arm around his waist, and David's thought disappeared from his head.

"Who are you right now?" David asked softly.

"I'm me." She said softly, her voice heavy with sleep.

"Are you sure? Because Melanie sometimes does this..."

"I'm Belinda, really."

David stared at her for a long time, carefully measuring her words to judge how honest she was. Then he scooted closer, close enough that Belinda had to open her eyes. There was blush in her cheeks and her leg tensed up where his touched hers. She kissed his hand and then his lips were on hers and then his hand was on her hip, and then her hand was under his shirt. And then her stomach erupted into pain and then up her spine to her head. Then everything was still. All the furious motion that started just a second ago, slowed back to normal. His hands were around her hands, holding them between the two of them.

It took a second for her vision to go back to normal, for a while all she could see was blurry peach skin and dark specks dancing across it. Then it cleared up and she saw him reach for her cheek.

"Why are you crying?" He asked.

"I'm so sorry..." She gasped, her chest was tight with pain, "I just know..."

"Bells." He put a hand around her shoulder and half hugged her. "Bells." Belinda stared into the white of his button up work shirt, tears falling half heartedly out of her eyes. "No, no, I don't need you to... I don't need you that way. Whatever that asshole told you, you don't need to be like that. I like how things are, I like being with you as you are."

"I can't. I can't. It hurts..." Belinda clutched her stomach.

David let go of her shoulder. "What hurts? Belinda are you okay?"

"He has to be lying. There's no way..." Belinda rolled over onto her back and stared at the ceiling.

"Bells."

Belinda didn't say anything. She just rapped her arms around her stomach and cried for a minute with her eyes closed. David sat up and watched her, then when she didn't stop he got up and walked out.

He walked downstairs and stuck his head into the living room where Veronica was watching TV. "She's not going to talk to me."

"Then that's it!?" Veronica scolded. "You tried for a whole ten minutes? So we better give up."

"No, I think... I think she just won't talk to us... She doesn't trust us."

"You're her boyfriend! You've known her the longest, who would she trust more than you?"

***

Emily sat in a kitchen chair they had pulled upstairs next to Belinda's bed. She was flipping through a magazine when Belinda opened her eyes again.

"Hey." Belinda muttered.

"Hey." Emily flipped to a picture of a shirtless guy and smiled. "You're up early."

Belinda smiled and sat up. "Did Veronica send you to check on me?"

"Yup." Emily set the magazine aside and put her feet up on the edge of the bed so that she could lean back.

"I'm fine. Really." Belinda brushed her fingertips over the slight purple spot on her neck that was her bruise. "I almost died, I think I can afford to take it easy for a few days."

Emily shook her head. "Come on, we both know this isn't taking it easy. This is avoidance. And you weren't avoiding anything a few days ago. So what's worse than almost dying, Belinda?"

"Well for one, dying. Which is sort of my life." Belinda half shrugged. "You know 'cept for when I actually died-"

"Belinda." Emily interrupted, "You're stalling."

"Yes, and if you'd let me I'd like to continue."

"Look, I know somethings up, and it's not going to get better if you don't talk about it."

Belinda pulled a pillow under her arms and waved a finger in her direction. "You realize I don't remember half of my life, and up until now I've been fine not talking about it. I feel like that's a legitimate way to not feel sad."

"Well what did you have to be sad about?"

Belinda shrugged. "I have no idea, so it works."

"Is this about Jogger? Because, you'll find his boss eventually-"

Belinda slammed her forehead into the pillow and screamed. "Nuh!"

"'Nuh' as in it's not about jogger, or it is and you don't want to talk about it?"

Belinda held three fingers up.

"Yes option three. Obviously. How silly of me."

"Alter number three." Belinda moaned.

"Oh... Oh!" Emily sat up. "Belinda, that wasn't you. That was you not being you."

"But it was my body!" Belinda slammed her pillow against the edge of the bed. "It was my life, and there's no way-"

"Belinda, it's not you fault-"

"Yes it is! Of course it is!" Belinda rolled over onto the side of the bed not facing Emily. "How could she not like David." She mumbled.

"She's different."

"Not that different. Melanie likes David. I like David. She's in the same body. How could she not like my boyfriend."

"Well, maybe she didn't know about David. You certainly didn't know about her."

"She's impossible. I would know if I had a third alter."

"None of us noticed. It's not your fault."

"It's too convenient." Belinda rubbed her aching leg. "Being connected to one person in two completely different ways."

Emily thought for a second. "What's that detective you love?"

"Sherlock?"

"No the other one-"

Belinda rolled over and tucked her hands under her head like a kid. "Nancy Drew?"

"No the weird one."

"Svlad Cjelli?"

"Who?"

"Dirk Gently, his name is Svlad."

"Yes that one." Emily leaned down to look Belinda in the eyes. "He solves cases based on the idea that all things are fundamentally interconnected. This is you connecting all things."

"It's also sci-fi... And a book."

"Just think about it. You," Emily poked her nose, "have an exceptional ability. Is it all possible that your subconscious picked up on some tiny details in earlier cases that didn't reach you? And those details stuck in Janice's head when she picked out her boyfriend."

Belinda shook her head.

"No. It's completely impossible."

"Exactly." Emily told her.

***

"Just stay out here for now." Melanie told Ravi. Ravi was a good kid. He was the sort of kid that would beg his mother in the middle of the night to drive his neighbor to a nursing home. She took a deep breath and turned the doorknob. She stepped in and saw that the occupant was reading a thick novel with a hunky guy with a machete on the front. He had a determined look in his eye and a model torso.

Theodora set her reading glasses and the book aside. She frowned as Melanie sat in the chair next to her.

"What's wrong?" She set a thin wrinkled hand on Melanie's shoulder and the tears welled up in her eyes. "Oh, Jackie!" Theodora slowly got out of bed and pulled her granddaughter into a hug. "Oh, baby, what's wrong? What happened?"

Melanie just cried, snot running down her face and seeping into her grandmother's shirt. The tears just took over and there was nothing she could do but gasp for air between sobs. Theodora brushed her head and hummed "shhhhh.... Shhhh..." Into her ear until Melanie just sat there with just the sound of her grandmother's humming and her heartbeat.

"Jackie, what's wrong?" She asked again.

"I- I have- done something."

"What?"

"I-I" Melanie hiccuped.

"Shhh... Shh... You don't have to say right now." Theodora sat down on the edge of her bed. "Just calm down."

"I- I can't have. I know I didn't."

"What?"

"I- I-" Melanie broke into tears again and Theodora tried to calm her down, but Melanie rushed out of the room and fell to the floor of the hall in the fetal position. Her back arched against the wall and her head between her aching knees. She felt like she wasn't even in the world anymore. Like she, for the first time in days, had no need to be afraid.

A single hand tore her out of it. A small hispanic hand on her shoulder and then another one on her other shoulder. She looked up and through her tears she saw Ravi crying on her shoulder with her. His own body swaying in the force of his sobs. Melanie stared at him for a second, then whispered into his ear, "Shhhh... Shhhhh... It's okay. It's okay."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 am
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey Willow! Back again :D

#NaRevWriMo and happy review day!

Oh wow, this chapter just took my breath away. I definitely wasn't a fan of the first part of it, but this really makes up for everything and I really loved it. I think you did a brilliant job of showing Belinda's emotions beautifully. I can't imagine being in her situation right now where there is a part of her that she can't remember, doing things she doesn't want done with her own body. It's almost like she is betraying herself and dragging David into the mess at the same time so I can understand her dilemma. But you described her emotions just so well here it made me fall in love. This chapter has the perfect amount of description and balance speech and action. It's like everything mentioned in previous reviews came through and turned into perfection right here. I am afraid there isn't too much to say so this review will be short.

One thing I would like to know is how David is feeling about this. Yes, not necessarily in this chapter. And although he seems so understanding in this current moment when his girlfriend is hurting, I do think that he must be feeling some sort of turmoil beneath the surface as well and I want to see into that. How is he coping? What does he think about his girlfriend possibly having been with someone else when she is trying so hard for him? Again, another character who I can't imagine being in the shoes of...

Also, we haven't been seeing too much of her friends lately. I like that they have all grouped together to support her and take turns trying to prompt words out of her, but we're only seeing them for a little at a time. Things have basically been centered around her and David for quite a while, although rightly so. Just don't forget about those secondary characters and I want to see them more in future chapters soon :)

My mini handful of nitpicks:

Her and Melanie were friends, they had been friends for years


This is a comma splice where a comma is taking the place of a connecting word or a sentence ending. Make it a colon or the word 'and' instead.

Or did it? Did her willpower mean nothing to her own head.

"Bells, what's up."

"How could she not like David."


Questions missing those much needed question marks.

She binge watched Doctor Who her first day


*binged.

Oh, and you get bonus points for mentioning Doctor Who as well ;)

clearly something upset her the other day, now I don't know what you two did, but she needs to work that out with you."


I would make the first comma a full stop and then leave the rest as it is. That way we avoid a run on sentence.

All I have to say <3 Loving this right now, so pretty please post some more soon! I can't wait to see what her grandmother has to say and how she makes some important decisions in the future. Remember to post on my wall or something to remind me it is there!

Deanie x




WillowCutz says...


Sorry, no Theodora (sad face) I was having a hard time writing at this point in the story, something about the romance and all that just made me rush and forget everything. Rewriting it i think I made it clearer, but I think once I get the time I might really rewrite it and maybe make it legible. (Thank you so much for sticking with this, it means alot, especially since this was one of my stupid chapters (by stupid I mean I went off on a tangent, not that it didn't necessarily make since)) and as for why David is fine, I think it's because he gets angry, not sad. He's (from my understanding anyway) a very controlling person. Loveable (that part may be up for debate), with a good heart, but controlling. He would rather explode at her for doing something dangerous than talk to her about what that means for them. (At least that's what I feel he is) i don't really know. I'm gonna try to make that clearer, since you guys are right, the interrogation needs a lot of work.



User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:04 pm
View Likes
artybirdy wrote a review...



Hello, I’m here to review again!

She still couldn't picture it. Her in a bed with another man, a murderer no less.

In this paragraph, you have a chance to show more of her doubts and concerns. You can explain that it felt morally wrong to have loved a murderer because they both favoured law, not crime. Does that make sense?

It hurt to think about it, physically hurt.

I felt that this paragraph ended too quickly. Perhaps, you can go on to explain why it bothered her.
Belinda felt the pain spread through her spine and she couldn't sit still. All she could do was lie on her side in agony, silently crying.

I think I’m missing something here. Did she get hurt in the last chapter? I’ve read it, and there’s no mention of any physical injury.
This relationship wasn't possible, she decided. Not just for her own sanity, but time-wise, there was no way she and Melanie and everyone else wouldn't notice her disappearing.

Is she talking about her and David’s relationship? From “there was no way” onwards, it doesn’t make sense. Is she planning to stay low for a while? Or, do you mean that David and her need a break or space from each other?
Does David love me?

Does she have these doubts because of what Tobias said? If so, I’d suggest you to make it clear by referring to their conversation.

I’m not sure who Veronica is, but that could be because I haven’t read the earlier chapters yet. But, she sounds pretty concerned, so I’m guessing Belinda and her are close.

Her eyes flicked up quickly. "Ceiling." She whispered.

There’s no reaction from David over this. It’s her feeble attempt to make a joke, perhaps he chuckles or rolls his eyes before he goes on to say something.

I need an insight into David’s thoughts and feelings because I’m confused about one thing. Does he love both girls, Melanie and Belinda, equally, or does he prefer one over the other? Sometimes, I feel that he likes Melanie more. You can add a short paragraph to show us his side of the story.
She kissed his hand and then his lips were on hers

You have repeated “then” a lot in this paragraph.

In the last section, I felt as if you rushed. Take the time to establish the scene, e.g. describe the nursing home from the outside and how it makes Melanie feel.

Jackie? I think there’s so much more to Belinda than she lets on. I’m curious now! Is that another one of her alterations, or am I missing something again? You’re intensifying the mystery. What was Melanie trying to say to Theodora? And, why was Ravi crying with her? Ah, too many questions!

I’d advise you to proof read your work with a fresh pair of eyes. I’ve noticed silly mistakes like “rapped” instead of “wrapped”. You’re only a step away from making this an incredible read. It’s certainly interested me and, like I said before, I’ll definitely return to read it from the beginning.

I enjoyed this immensely.

Well done, and keep writing!




WillowCutz says...


Yeah, I've worked on the scene to make it better (ish, I'm really bad a revising). Basically Belinda is a sex repulsed asexual (the reason there is no mention of that is because I wrote this before I knew what my sexual orientation was.) she is physically repulsed by sex and the idea of it. (As am I, which is why this seems rushed). In this part she's sort of depressed because of what happened when they talked to Tobias, and about her "third alter", who was supposedly his lover (which would be an interesting coincidence let alone out of character).

Since you don,t know, Theodora is Belinda's grandmother who raised her for a several years because of circumstances I haven't covered. (lot's of stuff really). In her old age she now believes that Belinda is Jackie (Belinda's mom). Ravi is Belinda's neighbor who checked up on her regularly before she got a private nurse (Veronica who doesn't really like her all that much).




Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb