z

Young Writers Society



Shaving

by Willard


I shaved my legs

to become an Italian bicyclist

or being one with nature;

not sure yet. 

Actually, I really want biker.

-------------------------------------

Halfway around the bike track,

I lose control of my pedals

and go right into

a nice, big tree.

------------------------------------

I can't feel my hands or feet,

I think I'm paralyzed,

or something even worse.

I feel something new.

--------------------------------

And that, kids, is the story

of how I turned into a carrot.

Don't have a set goal in life

because, chances are,

you won't reach that.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:02 am
Emeka says...



despite being hilarious but it has a strong message embedded therein. I like writers that hold aesthetic in one hand and truth in the other hand as they explore the poetic universe. the persona is dedicated towards actualising his dreams but he losing control of his pedal shows that the destiny of man is most times beyond his control,in other words,there are powers beyond our control that paddle our canoe,but this doesn't stop of making effort like the persona but the persona's attitude at the end encourages us to happy whereever the wind of life blows us to.nice aesthetic and a wonderful message.




User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 603
Reviews: 99

Donate
Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:26 pm
Remington38 wrote a review...



This was hilarious And I agree if you could either extend it or make more like it, it would make an amazing children's story or picture book. I envy writers like you because I can't write humorous stories or come up with things that make people laugh. You have a very good talent of making people laugh, and that is a great thing. Amazing poem and I hope to read more like it.
Remington38




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 1145
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:59 am
sagnik wrote a review...



Though the titile does not well comprehend the theme of the poem yet i like the theme alot.really goal should be rightly set.however i myself am a aimless man.the starting was that u shaved ur legs for being a bicyclist.thats a bit odd.then at tha end u rold urself carrot and gave the message tgats good.




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 124
Reviews: 23

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:26 pm
basia77201 wrote a review...



I actually LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I read ,
"and that, kids, is the story of how I turned into a carrot."
I'm understanding that even when you strive to be that someone or somebody, you might not reach that. Then when you don't get there, it feels like a knife stabbed in your back. But sometimes you will reach that point, where you did. Writing such an awesome poem. (Humorous, too!) You strived to write it right, and you certainly succeeded. Im curious to see more of your work, so keep it up!




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 335
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:46 pm
miasylvest wrote a review...



Hi Stranger,
What I extracted from this poem was simply the way of life. Since poetry can be analyzed in different way, allow me to share my interpretation.
The shaving of the legs represents dedication to a passion, the goal of being a biker represents- well, dreams in life. The crash stands for emotional or physical hardships life combats you with. Becoming a carrot shows that often times we are destined to be a completely different person than we desire.
I find this message deep and unfortunately true. Great job on writing this.
-Mia




User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 402
Reviews: 107

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:30 pm
Persistence wrote a review...



Hey, Strange.

So, I know that poetry is something that can be interpreted in more than one way, so this is what I got out of it. The legs are shaved, and that is a preparation for some goal that is set. The goal that is set is becoming a bicyclist, and just as it is so close to being completed, the bike (the ride toward that goal) crashes and get completely destroyed.

Also, I see the carrot thing as a reincarnation after hitting the tree and dying. But it is good, because it is a second chance at life, a second chance to enjoy the things that we take for granted in the pursuit of something greater. I think that the message here is to not gaze at stars while the moon is the only thing within reach, and not to look at the uncertain futures while the present is here for us to enjoy.

This poem has a neat, symmetrical format, which contributes to its aesthetics, and a title that does not give away its contents. It's funny how without thinking too much about it everything seems so random, and perhaps it was intended to be that way, but after giving it a little thought one could find ways to connect every dot.

I have not reviewed many poems, nor do I think that I could do it properly, but I hope that this review gives you some insight on how one of your readers interpreted your poem. Keep up the great work!




User avatar


Points: 294
Reviews: 2

Donate
Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:31 am
View Likes
Sowhat wrote a review...



This is a great poem,but try to maybe go a little Dr.Suess style.My favorite part is the beginning because of how you really describe what you were doing.I honestly think that this poem should be in a kids poem book,because it is funny and very cool.I think that if this gets out to the world that you will be famous!





We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind