Home » Literary works » Poetry » Humor

Procrastination

by SuperOriginalName

So, I am supposed to be studying,

You know, for a test or two.

But it's just one of those things

That I don't want to do.

I may sound like I am procrastinating,

Which I can't say that I'm not...

I just want to stay in my blanket

All snuggled up in a Sailors Knot.

I also have a cold,

Which gives me a reason to do nothing, I guess.

But I'm just sitting here.

Wondering what will happen next.

I think it's funny how my first literary piece

Is about my weird thoughts.

Sometimes I wish,

I wish that neurons could be bought.

I don't care if this is on the literary spotlight,

Or what things people point out in the reviews.

I just want to lay here.

Believe it or not, I'm in a good mood.

Now, that did not make sense.

I'm just trying to figure out what rhymes and what doesn't

Ugh, my fan makes the room too cold.

I need to turn it off. Can't someone else do it?

Yeah, I am not getting up.

Though, I am a bit hungry.

I have no clue what to eat.

I should be a bit more busy.

You should call me butter,

Because I'm on a roll with these rhymes!!

Haha. That was cheesy.

Ok now I'm getting hungrier.

Sorry, that didn't rhyme.

Neither did the fourth verse

Just kidding.

Procrastination can be the worst.

I'm still hungry.

I might cut myself an orange.

Nothing rhymes with that.

Dang it.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:16 am
ReeN_beNa wrote a review...

I swear this will be the procrastinator's anthem for procrastinator's such as myself.

It is funny how you vividly portrayed that feeling of procrastination. Every line was on point.

I bet almost every student goes through this feeling you know what i mean, for instance you got loads of assignments to study for and you keep telling yourself, "I need to learn" but you are stuck on your phone, glued to social media like crazy. It be like that sometimes.

"I also have a cold,

But I'm just sitting here.

Wondering what will happen next."
This part made me crack up, real hard especially with the i got cold excuse. hahaa

You did an excellent job and i'm in awe of your work. This is so good.
Keep it up. You got this, real good.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:00 am
Tuckster wrote a review...

Hey there SuperOriginalName! Tuck swinging by for a surprise review today :)

Overall, I liked the way you set this up and I think you did a good job executing the light, humorous theme both through structure and word choice. The ending was also very well doe and provided a good ending to the story. It made me laugh because of how well it fit with the poem's theme and still had a sense of finality to it, so good job on that. However, there were a few things that I think you could improve on moving forward, and I'll do my best to point those out to you in this review!

One suggestion I have for you is to experiment with a form of poetry where you don't use rhyming. It feels as if restricting yourself to words that rhyme with each other limits your creative prowess, and while rhyme can be helpful when it comes to meter and rhythm, it's not absolutely necessary for a poem. If it's limiting you, then it's probably doing more harm than good in your poem.

Another thing I noticed is that this poem bounced around a lot, and it didn't seem to have a consistent theme throughout. It felt as if you just added disjointed stanza after stanza, and it also got quite long. You didn't have any themes tying it together, unless we're counting randomosity, which meant it was hard to elicit an emotional response from me because there wasn't a theme for me to relate to.

But overall, this was a light and humorous read, and I enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing it on YWS, and I hope this review was helpful to you. If you have any questions for me about this review, please don't hesitate to ask!

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:24 am

I don't know why this is on the Literary spotlight XD. I have no clue what to say.

alliyah says...

Congrats!

Ah this was light and humorous. I've read plenty of procrastination poems, before but the rhyming in your's really set it a notch ahead of others I've read, and I love how it culminates into those last two stanzas.

I'll say there was a touch of time in the middle where it was hard to catch where the narrative was going because the speaker was flashing from YWS, to their writing, to their room etc. so there were a lot of elements all thrown together at once. I'd suggest stream-lining it a bit more with just one or two central plots so that it's not quite as meandering if you decide to edit it.

Besides that I mean I think poem accomplished what it set off to do - it also gives readers a little glimpse into your personality too. One thing I appreciated, is that procrastination & writer's block poems often take on a "disaster" tone, like "this is the worst thing that could possibly happen, I think I'm going to die and the world is going to blow up" and honestly that's pretty unrelateable, and makes their poem seem almost too ridiculous to be empathetic towards the actual emotion/situation being presented. But you don't make it too catastrophic - in fact you say that you're almost okay with the fact that your procrastinating, it's not ideal but it's what's going on.

Yep, overall a very enjoyable poem. A few poetry tips for your next piece: try to avoid using ellipses, because it feels like an uncomfortable pause, and looks a bit sloppy. And watch repetition of the same words at the end of your lines - you used a few words twice like "rhyme" that in such a short poem / stood out because they were at the end of the line.

Hope to see more of your pieces in the future!

- alliyah

Necromancer14 wrote a review...

Hilarious! I love the humor. I like the way you make it so that the guy is telling it as he goes, like he can't go back and fix stuff.

"I think it's funny how my first literary piece
Is about my weird thoughts.
Sometimes I wish,
I wish that neurons could be bought."

This was great. You talk about your "literary piece" from inside the literary piece, in a way that makes it funnier. Also, I wish I could buy neurons too. It would make life a lot easier. (Unless the neurons were really expensive.)

"I don't care if this is on the literary spotlight,
Or what things people point out in the reviews."

This was funny. Again you talk from inside of your literary work in a funny way.

The one thing I would say is that you don't always follow your rhyme scheme of a, b, c, b, and some of your rhymes only loosely rhyme.

Other than that, this was quite good! It's the sort of humor I would write.

Thank you!!!

"If fortis was here, we could have a teal party"
— Pompadour