z

Young Writers Society


16+

The Moon Needs Her Night Chapter 3

by inktopus


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Asha's heart picked up its pace, and she bit her lip. Asha struggled not to speak, but rage bubbled beneath the surface. Human familiars? Who would be so twisted to even consider such a thing?

"But won’t it look suspicious?” the prince asked, speaking for the first time. “We’ve never welcomed them here before? Why would they have reason to believe that we want them here now?”

The High Mage laughed, big, booming, and jolly, but it made Asha feel sick to her stomach. “They don’t know any different! They’re animals. They may be the same species as us, but we are clearly superior. Look at what we have attained!”

The prince chuckled as well.” You have a point,” he said.

Asha’s face burned, but her dark skin concealed the flush well.

“Where would we keep them?” Gilda asked.

“I was thinking we build some sort of holding facility for the new arrivals. We can ship them out from there,” Albert answered cooly.

Gilda looked pensive; Asha wanted to slap that expression right off of her face. “I think that would work well,” she decided. “Though perhaps we would need more than one.”

Albert nodded. “Of course, though one would certainly work, to begin with, but once mages hear about this, a new facility would need to be constructed to allow business to run faster.”

The High Mage peered down the table at Asha, “What say you, Mage Balewa? Would you be willing to assist us in this endeavor?”

Asha breathed in through her nose, and let out a shuddering breath as she tried to contain her rage. She failed. As she stood, her chair was thrust back, making a hideous scraping noise against the floor. “No,” she began. “I will not help you in this business endeavor. I am firmly against the use of any animal to aid in the practicing of magic. It is wrong. It is even more wrong to subject sentient beings to the same fate as those animals you call familiars! I will not allow my own people to be sold as familiars to immoral mages like you to die horrible deaths!” she shouted. “There is nothing that would ev-” Asha felt thick hands grab her arms, and she was pulled away from the table.

“I thought this might happen,” the High Mage hummed, his voice twinged with what sounded like regret. “But you always were known for making too many waves. Take her to the dungeon.” He turned to his audience, sitting at the table. “I think we have our first familiar.”

As Asha was dragged, polite applause from the other members of the dinner party teased her ears and she clenched her hands into fists. She was pulled down the hall and down a flight of stone stairs without any regard to her whatsoever. She was thrown in an empty cell, and the door swung shut in her face; the guard locked it and gave her a smug grin. “Enjoy your stay, Madam.”

Glaring up at him from her place on the cold, stone floor, she pounded her fists on the floor. They ached and the skin broke open and bled, pouring blood as crimson as the trim on those robes, but she ignored the pain and fought the hot tears that struggled to crawl from beneath her eyelids. It seemed like hours she sat there on the floor, no longer pounding the stone, but half-heartedly tapping with blood sticky hands.

The guard who had thrown her into the cell had long since left, and Asha had long since surrendered to her tears. They streamed hot down her cheeks, burning trails down brown skin. She allowed them to blur her vision as she stared at the stone floor. She sobbed silently, choking on her own rage. She did not hear the feather light footsteps on the floor, tentative but somehow bold.

Asha didn’t look up until she heard the clicking of the key in the lock. She saw the woman she called Moon Face ease the door open, clearly fearful of the squeak it was sure to make. Long, thick hair sluiced down her back, black as a raven's’ feathers. Their eyes met. “Follow me,” she whispered, and even in barest of breaths, Asha could hear her accent, wrapping her words in a woolen blanket.

Asha stood, flexing her fingers. Dried blood flaked off, and the fresh, sticky redness that stained her fingers strained to keep them together, like weak glue. She took a step, and she was free from the cell.

The air was no different outside the cell than in, but it was free air, and in the few hours that she had been jailed, Asha realized that she was gasping for it. She breathed in. Free air.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:22 am
Shady wrote a review...



Hey inktopus,

Shady here with another review for you! Slowly but surely, eh? Let's get started...

Asha struggled not to speak, but rage bubbled beneath the surface. Human familiars? Who would be so twisted to even consider such a thing?


Well, to be fair, she (albeit briefly) considered that very thing in the last chapter. It seems a little out of place for the rage to coming now, from the single idea of having a human familiar. I would think it would be more realistic for her to be utterly infuriated that they wanted to use her to bait her own people into that role -- or that they viewed her people as mere animals that they could use for their power.

So, like, her being angry is completely 100% justified -- but I think it would read more realistically if you shifted the focus of the rage just a bit. You know what I'm saying?

The High Mage peered down the table at Asha, “What say you, Mage Balewa? Would you be willing to assist us in this endeavor?”


Oh my gosh. HE DID NOT. Uggggghhh. I hate him so much.

“I will not help you in this business endeavor. I am firmly against the use of any animal to aid in the practicing of magic. It is wrong. It is even more wrong to subject sentient beings to the same fate as those animals you call familiars!


Hmm... I like the sentiment but this feels a bit... I dunno, forced? Rehearsed? Like it doesn't seem like realistic dialogue. I mean, try shouting it out loud yourself -- it doesn't really flow and seems really stiff. Not to mention, why would she start with a soapbox about being against animal familiars. It's like she starts out comparing her own people to animals and then catches herself and back tracks into oh yeah and they're people too so no.

I mean she's your character so you obviously know her better than I do -- but I would think that the outrage should be over the blatant racism this jerk is throwing into her face, along with pure rage about the way they want to treat her people.

“I think we have our first familiar.”


Nooooooo! Asha! I really hate this high mage >:(

She was pulled down the hall and down a flight of stone stairs without any regard to her whatsoever.


Without any regard to her whatsoever? I would think that the guards would be paying attention to her at least... you know, to make sure she didn't get away and such. I think you mean it as in they didn't take care not to hurt her as they dragged her -- but I also think you could do a better job of expressing that, because how it is now reads funny.

Glaring up at him from her place on the cold, stone floor, she pounded her fists on the floor.


Not loving the repetition of the word "floor" here. For one, having the same word this close to each other makes it read strangely. And for two, it makes that entire paragraph seem like it's happening as she's glaring up at the guard -- like somehow she's a big enough psychopath to keep her gaze planted on a guard even as she's pounding her own fists to a bloody pulp.

I suggest separating the two actions into different sentences. Have her glaring up at the guard from the stone floor until he left, and then blah blah blah so that it's clear that the guard isn't just creeping on her as she throws a (justified) fit.

~ ~ ~

I like this chapter as well. I think you did a good job of showing just how gargantuan of an a-hole this high mage is, and how devious his plans. As much as I hate him for throwing Asha in prison, it's a really good plot device that showed the readers his true colors and is really well placed.

You also have some really great intrigue going with Moon Face. When Asha first bumped into her it didn't seem like a big deal -- but now clearly she's going to play a big part in the story and I'm interested to see just what that is going to look like.

I think this chapter would benefit if you slowed down and took time to really explore what is going on with Asha's emotions this chapter. It seems like this would be an utterly traumatizing experience and I wanna know how she's processing all of it.

I think that's about all for now. Onward to the next chapter...

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)

P.S. not that you care but this was my 450th review which meant I just earned my second blue star reviewing this chapter :D Yayyyyy




inktopus says...


Congrats! Know that your 450th review is very helpful!



User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 74

Donate
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:39 am
deleted221222 wrote a review...



Hi, I'm Thundahguy, here three for three. Let's skip the awkward introduction and get into this, shall we?

So, the first thing I want to point out is how short and fast paced this chapter is. It's hard to maintain the atmosphere with how quickly things happen. My suggestion would be to add the first half of this chapter to the end of the last and expand on the second half.

The return of passionate Asha. Her thoughts and emotions match the first chapter, though her actions seem a little less reserved. Her sudden outburst and refusal seems a bit generic, especially with how preachy it seems to be. I know we're talking about how bad slave trafficking is, but the way she says it makes it seem like she's trying to teach people who don't know they're doing a bad thing. Have her speech be more personal to her. It'll help drive her point home to the audience.

There's also how the other nobles speak. While yes, they're bad, they seem to be talking in the most cliched way possible. If they don't believe they're doing something bad, then there should be a hint of that in their voice.

The second half of the chapter is more fast paced than the first. Heck, a few hours pass in the span of a single paragraph. You try to get a more pained and serious emotion out of Asha, but it doesn't come off as such when it passes so quickly. The description you use is good. What would help is if there was more of it. Spend some more time on this scene so you can properly convey the emotion Asha is going through.

Besides the awkward pacing and dialogue, your story is starting to shape up. Just changing the problems I listed will help elevate this chapter immensely.




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:31 am
Brigadier wrote a review...



Okay yeah so magical racism and assumption that people from the Southern colony are below them. Perfect way to start off the evening. Controversial topics with a side of cheese and a glass of chardonnay.

I'll have to be honest with you Storm, by saying that some parts of this are pretty predictable and kinda overused so far. I started to go into some of this in the previous review but I see it picking up here, at the point where Asha was thrown in jail. I expect here to escape, by the help of the one she called 'Moonface'. If I'm wrong about that plot detail working out, I think I'll be very surprised. And really this plot design is hard to avoid and it does keep the reader's attention, the main goal you're going for here. I still like it in a way but the dips into meh are happening a bit too often for me to have a full interest in it.

*tabs down a few lines*

Aha. I was right. The descriptions are getting pretty good at this point and that's really what's keeping my attention now. Like I can see the blood and visual the scenes better now, so it's makes it easier to adapt to the storyline. The last little bit hooks me in, which is nice and now I really want to see these two characters interacting. I would have made it to the next chapter just based on what you've told me on discord.

Okay I have nothing else.
This might be good night.




User avatar
118 Reviews


Points: 18525
Reviews: 118

Donate
Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:49 am
PastelSlushie wrote a review...



Hello again, Stormcloud, PastelSlushie here for a review from Team Autumn on this lovely Review Day. Let's get right into it!

The one thing that really needs to be pointed out is how fast everything happens in this chapter. I feel, if I were writing this, to slow the chapter down quite a bit and then end it with her going in the dungeon. I feel her escaping could be introduced in the next or a more later chapter, and then switch point of views with another character in the mean time.

Another thing I have a problem with is the length of this chapter. It reminds me of a short story instead of a chapter book. It really contrasts to the length of the previous two chapters, especially chapter two, being the longest out of the three I have read so far.

Everything here seems rushed in this chapter. It is paced incredibly fast, which contrasts greatly to the previous two chapters, and you don't really go into depth within the scenes and conversations between the characters. My one suggestion would be to slow things down, and maybe include her being freed in a later chapter.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions or disagree with anything in my review. Best of luck in your future pieces.

Pastel




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 174
Reviews: 48

Donate
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:27 pm
CocoaCat wrote a review...



Hey Stormcloud, it's your girl Caitlin; coming at you with a review.
Again, just going to write comments as I read. Let's do this!
“We’ve never welcomed them here before? Why would they have reason to believe that we want them here now?” The question mark isn't really needed here, but the prince has a very good point.
"As she stood, her chair was thrust back, making a hideous scraping noise against the floor. “No,” she began." STOP...
"Asha felt thick hands grab her arms, and she was pulled away from the table." too late...
"Take her to the dungeon.” He turned to his audience, sitting at the table. “I think we have our first familiar.” Knew it. Gosh darn it!
"She saw the woman she called Moon Face ease the door open, clearly fearful of the squeak it was sure to make. Long, thick hair sluiced down her back, black as a raven's’ feathers. Their eyes met. “Follow me," Well this is awkward; you snap at here one minute and the next minute you're lying on the floor of a cell with bloodied hands and she's going to help you.
Wait, it's over? To the next chapter!
(Again, LOVED the chapter, keep writing!)




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:49 pm
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review on Review Day!

So I noticed that you've been mentioning that this hasn't gotten out of the Green Room yet, so I thought I might go ahead and jump in for a review about now. I admit I haven't read the previous chapters, though hopefully I won't butcher this review because of that. I found it a little odd that this is a whole chapter? I guess if you're going for shorter chapters, that makes sense, though there isn't a lot that goes on here. We see that Asha is free by the end of the chapter, which is something, though it feels a little quick.

That's the problem that I have here, and it's in particular with the pacing--it's a little too quick for me to be able to get a real taste for the characters or the dialogue that goes on between them. I want to see a bit more fleshing out. A bit more development and slowing down for this chapter to make it less gradual and all in a single motion.

This chapter is a blade in how it's sharp and ends up to the point, though there's a sacrifice that comes with writing content that is more skeletal. What I mean by this is that while it's very straightforward and doesn't play around much with filler, that means there's not going to be as much building up of the characters, at least not that much this early on.

I have to say though that this chapter interested me overall and for that I might have to go back and read the previous ones, since I've found your writing to be a little different from what I usually read. It's in a way similar to another person on the site that I've read who also usually writes in a faster pace. The end of this is strong enough. I wish we could've gotten a little bit more though on how Asha felt on being free, though you're strong with using minimalism too, which is holding off on giving those extra details and letting it be as it is.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Image




User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:43 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Heyyyy,

Nit-picks:

Asha struggled not to speak

would probably flow better if this 'Asha' was 'She'.

“They don’t know any different! They’re animals. They may be the same species as us, but we are clearly superior. Look at what we have attained!”

Yup, it works. The pomposity works with the dread.

The prince chuckled as well.” You have a point,” he said.

I think yws has done something weird with your speech marks here.

Asha’s face burned, but her dark skin concealed the flush well.

ironic

“I think that would work well,” she decided.

"decided" doesn't quite work here because it puts us more in the character's head. I think "announced" would be how that was perceived by Asha. Still sounds decisive, but we don't get mention of the thought process.

Overall:

Character: Obviously this is a very short chapter so there isn't much room for develoment. However, I get to see Asha under extreme pressure and feel sympathy for her in an extreme situation. This is the first time I've felt really emotionally invested rather than just finding her cool, so good job on that.

However, I still think it's unlikely they would ask her about this, or expect on any level she would say yes. The way I can see to get there is: they are animals, animals don't have feelings, they won't mind because they know they're not important. Thing is, all an animal knows is its own importance, ie self preservation. If the High Mage thinks Asha's people are animals, he would probably expect them to run kicking and screaming from the greater good that they are ignorant too.

There are a couple of things I think you could do.

1. Asha be confused as to why they would put this question to her, what would make them think she would agree?

2. The High Mage, when she refuses, say something like: "But your people are animals. They're lives are worth so very little. And in comparison to our greater purpose, how do they not see the importance?"

Setting: I liked the little details of the cell, and the sensory description of the air was also very useful. You'll have noticed I don't often have a lot to critique in setting, but I'll just keep pointing out what's particularly useful anyway.

Plot: This was quite quick and turned round very quickly too. I think it makes sense, but not as its own chapter. Ironically, I think you might be in the same situation as Off Court, where chapter 3 could join pretty easily to 2 but that would be too long for the site. Your 2 does have a bit of a cliffhanger, but since I explained last time why I felt like I was actually in the middle of a scene rather than held in suspense, I think this would be a more effective cliffhanger to end the chapter on when considering this as a novel not on the site.

Flow: Probably covered in the thing about quick turnaround above.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)





Is that a carrot?
— WeepingWisteria