To Fill a Glass to the Rim with Water

by Snazzy

Most likely, there’s a glass in your cupboard. Even more likely, this glass is capable of being filled. A pitcher of water might be this source, or the kitchen faucet if you are one of the ungrateful heathen that prefer tap.

Most likely, you’ll fill it up with water from that pitcher or faucet. Fill it to the rim, I dare you. Because having a long drink from a full glass of water is like topping off your car with gas. Or if you’re one of the sorts who doesn’t like to drive, or quite frankly, can’t or shouldn’t drive, taking a long drink from a full glass of water is like taking a deep breath after holding it underwater.

And even after you take a long drink from a full glass of water, it isn’t empty. It’s half full. Or rather, it has the potential to be filled. And while it has the potential to be filled, it also has the potential to be emptied.

And it has the potential to be held. You could reach out and touch the edge of a full glass of water. You could let your entire hand swallow it up if you wanted.

Because as you already know, there is a certain truth in touching, and holding, and feeling the palms of a certain Nazarene because everyone inwardly wants to be filled.

And while you want to be filled, sometimes you might overstep your boundaries; the laborious task of filling the glass to the rim with water has caused you to overflow it.

Is it full now that it is spilling over? Of course it is. Because even if some is lost, even if there is a falling away, even if life is but a vapor that is only for a moment, it is still there. To make oneself full is a tangible deed, not a feeling of imagination.

In fact, the most extraordinary concept about mankind is that he can fill glasses to the rim with water. And even after he takes a long drink from a full glass of water, it can be filled once more.

Throughout history, water glasses have been filled. A filled water glass was the reason Adam ate the fruit. Or was it Eve first? Nonetheless, the snake filled the cup once more (or maybe it was a lizard), and upon seeing a glass filled to the brim with water, Adam or Eve touched the leaf of the tree of the forbidden fruit.

A filled water glass has been known to start wars. On the one side, the filled water glass is seen as power for the common man, and on the other, a filled water glass signifies power to the aristocratic tradition of rigid class lines, as things should be. The only problem with this, is both sides didn’t realize they were looking at the same glass.

A filled water glass has been known to destroy oceans. Because we realize the potential a full glass of water has, we need to contain it. Dilute it. Pollute it.

And lastly, a filled water glass has been known to corrupt the human mind. Because a girl looked upon the filled water glass, she remembered Adam or Eve, the snake, and the lizard. And though she fought to fill herself up using home remedies, and doctors, and medications, and prayers, and counsel, and family, and friends — she could not. And so she looked upon the filled water glass and remembered the Nazarene, and she wondered, what did she do so wrong to be so empty?

Most likely, you will fill this glass to the rim with water often. You will fill this glass again and again because there is nothing better than being full, except, perhaps, the promise of always having the ability to become empty.

LadyBug wrote a review...

Wesh! Professor Jade here for a quick review. Let's just get to it.

I love the metaphor. You use the word and a lot and that really makes it choppy. The flow is a bit off. Your paragraphs are a perfect length, and I really appreciate that!

I do I like how it's all smushed together. It gives it a cozy, home sweet home view of things.

I liked this and I hope to read more of your work soon:

I hope I helped!
-Professor Jade

SofieR wrote a review...

Hey there! Sofie here with a review. :)

So, I really really enjoy this metaphor of the glass of water. This is one of those pieces where, no two readers are going to have exactly the same interpretation. "Filling the glass" is going to mean something different to everybody.

"In fact, the most extraordinary concept about mankind is that he can fill glasses to the rim with water. And even after he takes a long drink from a full glass of water, it can be filled once more."

I especially love this line. I think simply "being human" is something so many of us take for granted everyday.

"Throughout history, water glasses have been filled. A filled water glass was the reason Adam ate the fruit. Or was it Eve first? Nonetheless, the snake filled the cup once more (or maybe it was a lizard), and upon seeing a glass filled to the brim with water, Adam or Eve touched the leaf of the tree of the forbidden fruit."

This paragraph was particularly interesting to me. I like how you were able to connect the metaphor with the biblical references.

Good job on this piece! It was a super interesting read :)

Fri May 17, 2019 10:36 am
BailorAsh wrote a review...

A few things I'm going to point out about word choice: You used the word 'and' a lot. It was one of your main transition words, and though it was helpful to establish this entire written work as a 'stream of consciousness' it also got boring after a while. You stopped using 'and' toward the end of the piece, however it was used a lot during the beginning. If you want to switch around word choice a little you could ration your 'and' usage so that you use it less at the beginning, having the word more evenly distributed toward the end.

I enjoyed the metaphor of the glass and the cup. Using Adam and Eve as examples was a nice touch. I think that their story is well-known enough by most people (Christianity being a widespread religion) that you don't have to worry too much about the reference being lost on your readers.

This was a fun read. The only things I'd edit would be word choice. 9/10 would read again.

Corvus wrote a review...

here a few things I noticed.

"A pitcher of water might be this source, or the kitchen faucet if you are one of the ungrateful heathen that prefer tap."
I think this sentence throws off the tone of the piece, also "heathen" should be plural.

"Or if you’re one of the sorts who doesn’t like to drive,"
add a comma after "or".

"It’s half full. Or rather, it has the potential to be filled."
change the period after "full" to a hyphen.

"Because as you already know, there is a certain truth in touching, and holding, and feeling the palms of a certain Nazarene because everyone inwardly wants to be filled."
add more contexed for the word "Nazarene", as many do not know this word.

"Because we realize the potential a full glass of water has, we need to contain it. Dilute it. Pollute it."
edit the punctuation of those sentence fragments at the end to make them complete.

"Most likely, you will fill this glass to the rim with water often. You will fill this glass again and again because there is nothing better than being full, except, perhaps, the promise of always having the ability to become empty."
(this is an incredibly profound and beautiful statement) add a comma before "because", and consider adding the word "again" to the end.

this is an amazing piece, I love how you took a classic philosophical image like a glass of water and gave it your own meaning rather than just using the pre-existing "half-full" analogy. every critique I gave is from a place of love and wanting to help you improve. your writing is amazing, don't ever stop creating

with love -Corvus

Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea