12+

The Love of Richard Nixon

by RossLighting

Richard Nixon got out of his car at exactly 9:14, on the sunny day of Tuesday the 3rd, July, at the quiet town of Nixon. He walked smartly, his heels rapping the floor, greeted the man who opened the door for him, and went inside. Security was everywhere. He walked forward to shake hands with the Mayor of Nixon. He smiled, and exchanged a few words of greeting. He nodded towards his bodyguard, who walked forward, not smiling, and whispered a few words into the ear of the Mayor. The Mayor looked surprised, as a tray, pushed by another unsmiling bodyguard. Everyone in the room started clapping. The Mayor pulled of the sheet to reveal a silver cover. You know, like the ones that cover food?(please help I forgot the name ehhh) The Mayor smiled broadly, and lifted it up. Underneath, was a stack of bills. The Mayor picked them up, and flicked them casually, weighing it up in his hands. It felt good. It felt nice. The Mayor walked over to the door and held it open, for Richard Nixon. Nixon smiled, shook his hands for one last time, and got into his car.

Meanwhile, on the roof, a man was perched there in an uncomfortable position. He was wearing a Nike hoodie, with a River Island t-shirt and Levi Jeans. He was photographing Nixon. He then unzipped his carrier bag, and took out the object. A smoke grenade. Gently, he put the camera in the bag, and pulled out a smoke grenade. He threw it down a nearby vent. If he was correct, when he went back, and opened his book on Nixon, the book should say about his grenade stunt.

Meanwhile, back in the building, the grenade fell down with a clatter. There was a scream, and a general rise of panic, and everyone fled for cover. After a while, when they realized it wouldn't explode, the security convinced everyone to get up.

Back on the roof, the man had assembled his pad. He stood on it, then admired the photos. 'These will look great' he said to himself ecstatically. Stepping into the pad, he went off, back to his time zone, back to where he belonged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 am
Ferruccio1234567 wrote a review...

Hello RossLighting,
Review ready:
Firstly, the first sentence isn't so good. Why is Richard's last name the same as the "quiet town of Nixon." I mean, I can see a lot of potential in that last quote, you just have to apply it correctly. Maybe you could write it as how his rapping footsteps awoke the crows and sent shockwaves through the buildings as it was that quiet. And the security is suspicious. If it was a quiet town, then why would anybody want to target that? Remember that you still haven't introduced Richard as an important figure. Personally, try to make it an important city, like Los Angeles, New York, or (my favourite), even Tokyo. And you've just introduced the mayor. This is surprising, because if his last name is Nixon then the reader would expect him to be, at least, the lord of the manor, or the earl of the town, or the chieftain, etc. etc. And the next sentence is no better. The grammar is technically incorrect - I would write it as:
The mayor looked surprised as another unsmiling bodyguard appeared, pushing a large trolley. On top of the trolley was what looked like a large lump - nobody could tell since it was covered by the sheet.
Back to the review - how would the mayor know what to do if he didn't know it would happen (the reader would estimate this, otherwise the mayor shouldn't be surprised).
Again with the commas. The next sentence. Why would the mayor flick the bills? You didn't even write for whom the money was for, so how would the mayor know? And it is supposed to be 'hand' not 'hands'.
You suddenly mentioned this man on the roof. Wouldn't somebody notice him. And you didn't mention what obstacles were preventing him from having a comfortable position. When you described his clothes, then you should have put in the carrier bag, because the introduction of the bag is unusual. Plus, you should mention the camera details. What lens? What magnification? What resolution? Then you tell us the man took out the smoke grenade two times. This is a bit of a contradiction, unless if he is planning on using TWO smoke bombs.
Then you say about the book. Since you haven't mentioned the time travel theory yet, then it is a bit stupid to do that. Maybe you could write about it when the man arrived back home.
Then you say about the fleeing people. If everybody fled for cover, wouldn't they want to go outside? Because you added the sentence that the security convinced the people to get up. But why would they fall? I mean, they would want to get back up again and run, not just stay there.
The back on the roof paragraph was a bit extreme. The sudden 'pad' not time machine is a bit of a surprise - he just stepped into it. It must be a bit big then, and he would have to press a button or click a lever regardless of size. Next, if he admired his photos, that means that he might be a journalist when you haven't even said his name yet. And what about his history? Does he really need to have this much of a close-up? And if he could use this time-machine, assuming he travelled to today, he would have made much more money as a scientist. That reminds me, you haven't even said what's the time in Richard Nixon's day. To make it less confusing, then you should say era, and also the dynasties of both Nixon and the stranger. The last bit is OK but it leaves a burden of doubt, a cliffhanger. If you aren't planning on writing a sequel, then this move is dumb.

Sorry if my writing is a bit harsh - but I hope you have gained something. Please reply!!!!

RossLighting says...

Hey Ferrucio! I'll go through your review. Quickly tho, this story is meant to be a plot you have to figure out.

Firstly, its named in honor of Richard Nixon.

Secondly, no, I don't think his footsteps are that quiet.

Thirdly, it was meant to be quiet so anyone wouldn't know he was there. This story is meant to be a plot you have to work out.

Fourthly, his last name is not Nixon. He's simply the mayor.

Fifthly, he just decided to roll the money in his hands.

Sixthly, the camera. I have no idea how to describe lens, magnification, and resolution.

Seventhly, how is it stupid? Look to the beginning of my response.

Eighthly, its not modern day in the time i'm writing. They wouldn't know what it is.

Ninthly, yeah, he could of made more money as a scientist, but what happens if he wants to keep it quiet?

Tenthly, Yes. I am writing a sequel.

Thanks for the review.

inktopus wrote a review...

Hey, RossLighting! Storm here to do a review, so let's just jump right into it!

Okay, I must begin by wondering why you would write a story about Richard Nixon. You are British, aren't you? What do you know about Nixon? Somw Americans don't know much about Nixon, so it's especially strange that a young British person would be that knowledgeable about him. Anyway, I'll move on.

Richard Nixon got out of his car at exactly 9:14, on the sunny day of Tuesday the 3rd, July, at the quiet town of Nixon.

I get that you may want to be specific, but this is way too much information in one sentence. Spread it out a little. Integrate the information into the story more so not all of it is leaping out that the readers' faces.

He walked smartly, his heels rapping the floor, greeted the man who opened the door for him, and went inside.

I have 2 issues with this sentence. 1 is that rapping probably isn't the best word to use there. Maybe tapping would work better. My other issue is that you have a lot of information in this sentence as well. Space it out, you don't need to rush. There isn't any hurry.

You know, like the ones that cover food?(please help I forgot the name ehhh)

This is a big no no in writing. Don't be lazy! And don't break the 4th wall unless it's a stylistic choice (which, in this case, it isn't). Just look up the word for it! Or find a way around using the word. Don't do things like this. And it's called a cloche, by the way. It was very easy to look that up.

It felt good. It felt nice.

From what I could tell, you were using 3rd person limited up until now. I'm going to assume you know what 3rd person is, and you were limited the perspective of Nixon. Then, you suddenly jumped into the mayor's mind. You can’t do that in 3rd person limited. There is a POV called 3rd person omniscient, but it is very difficult to use properly, so I wouldn't recommend you use it until you are more experienced as a writer. Most of the time, omniscient isn't appropriate to use anyway.

He was wearing a Nike hoodie, with a River Island t-shirt and Levi Jeans.

This is waaaay too specific. When you add in brands like this, it just sounds like product placement. I get you may be trying to say that he's not from the same timeline, but it's a little too specific.

Overall, this was weird. You said there was a hidden meaning, but I couldn't find one. Where's the symbolism? Why Nixon? What is the point? I think you would do well with a plot. With things this short, it's hard to have a plot. Try writing something a little longer. Plan a plot with a clear beginning, middle, and end. You have improved since your first story posted, so keep on improving!

Feel free to reply to this or to pm me with any questions.

~Storm

RossLighting says...

Hey Storm! Firstly, i'm just going to mention that this is a story you have to figure out the plot for.

Firstly, yes, i'm British, but I was inspired by a Manic Street Preachers song, with the same name. I know little to nothing about Nixon.

Secondly, it was meant to be a sentence to remember.

Thirdly, i'm not rushing. And rapping the heels sounds better.

Fourthly, I didn't think to at the time, but thanks for the word.

Fifthly, I completely forgot about first person and all that. So oh well.

Sixthly, its not specific. Its part of the part where you have to figure out the plot.

Seventhly, there was no symbolism. Im going to write a sequel. But thanks for the improvement!

-Ross

inktopus says...

I understand that there's a time traveler who wants to get a picturenof Nixonnfor whatever reason, but that's not really a hidden meaning. The plot shouldn't be something the reader has to figure out because the plot is just thw sequence of events in a story. I want you to think about why you wrote this. What was your reason? What story are you trying to tell, and why do you want to tell this story in particular? These questions may help you write meaningfully.

RossLighting says...

sigh. I wrote this story because I was inspired to make a hidden plot. My reason? It sounded like a good idea, I was inspired by a song. I don't really have reasons for writing stories. The second question? It's kinda secret intil the sequel comes out. Why? I don't really think about why. If its a good idea, I will most likely do it.

inktopus says...

I don't really have much else to say other than to let me help you. I'm willing to look at your work before you post it. Just send me a link to a wfp through pm. And I have one last thing that I think you should look at How To Let YWS Improve Your Writing

RossLighting says...

Thanks for the offer Storm, but not the sequel to the first story. Other stories I may ask for your help, and i'm very touched you would take time out of your day to help me. If I want help with a story, I will ask. Once again, thanks for the offer.

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness