Blood Sisters (Ch. 8) Alice

by Rosewood

Day Three

I think I'm beginning to realize I'm much more hurt than I first thought.

I keep seeing shadows in the corners of my vision. When I turn quickly to confront them, they vanish, bringing on a horrible dizzy spell. My ears are still ringing, the volume rising when I think about it too much. Dread pools inside of me. I need a doctor.

I bend over, coughing up nothing but air. A memory fills my head and I'm too exhausted to stop it.

"You're running a fever, you're in no shape to go out tonight." Harold points out, shutting the door before I can cross through it.

"If I don't go, we'll have to spend another night in this hotel to finish the job. You," I pause to cough, "...know we don't have enough to do that."

He sighs, squeezing the bridge of his nose with his fingers. "Then we won't. We can go home and ration what we have until you're better."

Angry, I shake my head. "This is utterly stupid. Just let me go, I'll be fine."

"I won't risk it. Just sit down, I'll get our things."

. . .

Harold... my mind swims with guilt. It's my fault he thought he had to kill Rory. If I hadn't been so rash and gone to her house, she wouldn't have been there when Harold returned. Why had I even gone to her in the first place? It wasn't like she was my friend. 

What should I do now?

Obviously, I need to find Harold. I know I can't kill him. Surely, Rory is dead, but that isn't his fault, only my own.

I look up at the sky. The sun is beginning to set in the west. It's been at least a full day since I fell- maybe longer. I can just make out the tall rocky wall surrounded by trees. It's just as steep as I has seen before, but I hadn't noticed how the walls began to curve into a slope as you walked along the cliff. Almost like stairs. I almost laugh at the humorless joke. Trying not to focus on what I could've done, I focus on the surroundings around me.

The water must've dragged me a long way down before I washed up on the shore. From what I can tell, I'm still miles away from where Harold parked the truck. If it's still there, I'll try to track his steps. In an hour or so, it'll be light enough for me to make them out clearly. I pause to consider what to do if the truck is gone. I could attempt to follow the tire treads, but they could just as easily vanish when Harold inevitably hits a road.

Head swimming with pain, I grit my teeth to focus. If the truck is gone, I could try to find a phone and call him. He has many burners, but I have a few numbers in mind that I could try with the best chance of reaching him.

Suddenly, it hits me. Do I even want to find him? Right now, I have a free pass to escape this life my brother and I created for ourselves. I have successfully faked my own death.

I will my legs to straighten out and hold my weight standing. The pain I feel almost helps to distract myself from the question. After waiting to see if I'm stable enough not to fall, I decide to give myself the task of seeing if his truck is still there. It's likely my brother has already gone. If the truck isn't there, at least I know I won't have to meet his eyes. If it is...

As conflicted as I feel about what I should do, I remember the need for a doctor. This is enough to get me moving. I focus on moving my feet forward and that's enough to avoid my questions. For now, at least.

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:39 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Heyyyy! Forever here with a review!

This was a pretty little chapter. The story is slowing a bit, I guess. Maybe not a little bit, but a lot. But that's not bad. I really like how you pay attention to each and every minute detail including the thoughts, emotions and feelings of Alice.

Something which I think is that I can't quite differentiate between the characters. This is the first story I am reading including different perspectives. So, I might be wrong in that but I think that it seems like that all the people have the same thinking process, which is quite impossible. You have to differentiate between the characters and make them unique. Throughout the chapters, only Harold's character seems unique. I will comment further on that in the next chapter.

The memory is not very clear and prominent. What memory was it? When did that happen? Above all, why did it come to her mind at the point of time? Is it for the reason that she was feeling pity for Harold? Clarification required.

Isn't it a bit too hard for Alice to climb up the hill? She hasn't even eaten for a day and also she hasn't drunk water even or maybe she did. Moreover, she seems to be a lot better than she was in chapter 6. I don't knoe how that happened but seems like a miracle has taken place. The only painful(physically painful) thing I can see here is the eye and the ears. Except that, I can't see anything else. So, maybe just put a bit of lines here and there of the pain in between her thoughts. That would make it more realistic, I guess.

She is in dire need of a doctor. Hope she gets that but before that she needs to climb up. And yeah, forgot to mention give a glimpse of what happened after she became unconscious? Was she carried away by water? If so, it will be difficult for her to find the place.

I wonder what is gonna happen next. I am quite excited about the next chapter because it's from Harold's perspective. Will get a good view of what he actually is like. Hope everything is okay and fine between them but that doesn't seem to be very easy. However, there is hope. The moment she will fiscover that Rory is alive, she might be a bit changed.

Grammatical mistake and a doubt:

It's just as steep as I has seen before, but I hadn't noticed how the walls began to curve into a slope as you walked along the cliff.

I 'have' seen
I will my legs to straighten out and hold my weight standing.

I don't quite understand what this sentence is supposed to mean.

Keep Writing!

~Forever

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:11 am

Hi Rosewood,

I like how the first half of the chapter deals with how Rory feels and how she reflects. It seems like she realises she has something far worse than she originally thought. I really like the way you've written the sentences to go with it. They come across as to the point but with the necessary uncertainty that it continues to come across as something mysterious that Rory has. In particular, the last sentence in the second paragraph where she says she needs a doctor is very strong and telling. It doesn't take much for that one sentence to have a very big meaning.

I keep seeing shadows in the corners of my vision. When I turn quickly to confront them, they vanish, bringing on a horrible dizzy spell.

Since I don't know how much of this is true and how much is not, I can only say that no matter how this sentence is meant, I think it's great writing. On the one hand I get the impression that Rory has an eye problem, on the other hand it seems as if she is seriously ill.

I don't know if the memory has been in a previous chapter, but I like this inclusion. It is a fitting moment to insert this point and thereby give the reader a little more depth.

Harold... my mind swims with guilt. It's my fault he thought he had to kill Rory.

I'm strongly assuming here that the perspective has been changed, and I think you should include that as well, because I was a bit confused about that sentence at the beginning.

Shorter chapters are always a bit harder to evaluate because there is not enough information to read to create an accurate truth. Also, because of this, the writing style is somewhat lacking, which means that one cannot form an opinion directly. Overall, I can say that I liked the chapter. It had a certain perseverance in it that I read especially in the second half and liked that the chapter mainly dealt in reflections. It gives the characters more strength of character and personality than when they are just talking.

There was something sombre about the chapter that I can't define, but liked the tone you took in presenting it here. I suppose a lot of things are better explained when you know the beginning of it, and even without, I found it a dense, beautifully written chapter.

Rosewood says...

Thanks for the review! For the vision thing, I%u2019m trying to hint at concussion and blood loss. And as for the perspective change, sorry, I meant to put %u201CAlice%u201D at the top since this is her perspective. And thank you again for the suggestions- I%u2019ll keep them in mind when writing my second draft!

Besides, if you want perfection, write a haiku. Anything longer is bound to have some passages that don't work as well as they might.
— Philip Pullman