z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

.

by Rosendorn


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:22 am
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



Hi, Rosey! This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review. Going to be ignoring the other reviews here (they're always tempting to read before I actually start reviewing for some reason) for the sake of a completely fresh mind. Without further ado, let's jump right in.

I wondered if this is how souls felt, waiting for judgment after death.


First sentence here is A+ at being a hook. Pulls the reader in real close with the fishing line stuck in their cheek. Love it. Right off the bat, the main character is clear in opinion and in thought. I don't usually see the first person perspective being used in this way, though almost immediately we're hit with how she feels about having a husband in a pretty straightforward way. Getting into the head of Kerani is fairly easy, and just by her thoughts we get a nice taste of who she is.

I adjusted my leather vest and bicep guards, making sure they didn’t leave too much of my undershirt exposed. Over that went a dark red shirt cut exactly like guards for my family, and on top of everything went my scaled bracers, in metal this time.


While the description here is strong of what Kerani looks like, I did want to mention the wording of the second sentence--it feels a little off to me. Other than that, she's not difficult to visualize.

The moon was finally over the mountains, meaning I could leave. I’d survived in the middle of the mountains in the dead of winter during a snowstorm, and my parents insisted I have good visibility every time I went out to the city. I didn’t even pretend to understand it.


'The moon finally peered over the mountains' perhaps? Just a suggestion. In the second sentence, there are a lot of prepositions floating around that over-complicate it a little. I'm also not going to attempt to understand what 'good visibility' means either! I'm unsure if I'm actually supposed to understand what that means or not, though.

I walked through the now deserted corridors, footsteps echoing as the carpet of the noble’s wing gave way to easy to clean tile around the courtyard. The first of my companions, Aryan, was leaning against a stone pillar at the doorway to outside.


This feels a little small to bring up, though a dash between 'now' and 'deserted' might be beneficial. I also wanted to note that if not there because it's not absolutely necessary, then consider changing 'easy to clean' to 'easy-to-clean' though that's just another suggestion. For me, it's easier to process in that way since that line took me awhile to understand.

Nonetheless, we're still ending up at the same place. The interaction between the characters is interesting so far. The weakest element of the novel so far is wording, so I can attest that you're doing pretty well with this! The dialogue is almost eerily realistic here. I enjoy how solid and down-to-earth the characters feel so far.

I shrugged, looking ahead. “And the same could be said for every other person who manages to hide their intent for years until I dig them up.”

“Kerani’s got you there.”

“Shut up, Aryan.”


For reference, this is where I got confused. This is probably because I have a hard time deciphering which character says what without some sort of dialogue tag or action, though this doesn't make this necessarily something needing changed.

The coins made there way to the purse hidden on her hip. “He has visited the woman’s wing twice, but has never paid for any services proper. A very good tipper for dancers, mind you. He shows the self restrains expected of a prince, although I can’t say the same for his servants. They act as you’d expect.”


'There' should be 'their' in the first sentence here. 'Self restrains' feels like it should be 'self-restraints', though the second error in this paragraph is one that I'm not as sure of.

So far, you've done a nice job at keeping the reader interested in what's going on, and I'm not easily pulled in.

I ran my thumbnail under my other nails. “How much have they bought.”


I'm assuming that this is a stylistic choice of yours? Seems like this is intentional, though if not, there should be a question mark here. :p

I'm a little confused about the relationship between Kerani and Isra thus far. Kerani seems to be bisexual (or in general something other than heterosexual) though she's being pushed into having a husband? From what I've read so far and by the end of the chapter, it seems that the two of them have an on-and-off or no-strings-attached relationship, though I'm not all that sure.

As for criticisms when it comes to the actual content of the chapter, I have to say that while I enjoyed the descriptions that were here, there are some parts that I find lacking of this. More on the descriptions of the actual setting more-so than the

I'm sure that this is just ignorance on my part, though I don't believe I've ever learned the definition of the word 'wing' before. I'm vaguely familiar with it, and I understand that it's some sort of...area? Maybe a place of residence? It's slipped from my mind at this moment in time.

Your characters are strong and so are your descriptions, though the plot (particularly the marriage and what's to come after this chapter is what I'm talking about with the plot) and worldbuilding are both something yet to be more established. I imagine this'll come in the later parts of this chapter. Oh! The voice of Kerani is also quite powerful already. I almost forgot to mention that, since that might just be one of my favorite parts about this chapter. Very strong and clear--I love it. Can't wait to continue this!

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Image




Rosendorn says...


Thanks!

Yep, my biggest comment went from "too much worldbuilding" to "not enough worldbuilding", but so long as nobody's annoyed with it, I'm fine with not enough xD

She is bisexual! And I clarify a lot of queer stuff her marriage in later chapters.

Description is always a weak point so yes do let me know whenever I need more lol



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:31 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I don't think I've ever read something of yours before. I'm excited to get into this. Just forewarning you, I haven't read any of the previous reviews as I feel like I'll chicken out of actually reviewing this because I don't feel like there's anything I can add xD So please ignore anything that I've repeated or anything like that.

Right off the bat, I think the first two sentences would work better in the same paragraph. It's almost unnecessary separation. The first sentence talks about souls waiting for judgement of death and the second one adds to that. The sentences almost negate each other, in a way. I don't know, it just seems like they should be together. Play around with it and see which way works best.

Some of your transitions need work. At least for my tastes.

Joking finished and them ready to go, I crossed the rest of the courtyard and opened the small door,

This part is too much "first this happened, then this happened" even if it's just for a moment. That "Joking finished and them ready to go" is the part that gets me. It gives me this image of her stopping, joking with her friends, waiting around for them to be ready, then going again. Despite that being probably exactly what is happening, it's too jerky for me. When a reader picks up something you've written, you want them to be able to go through it without any hiccups. It has to be smooth and continuous, no matter if the real time is actually choppy or not. Especially in this first chapter where you're making the statement of how this story is going to be written.
After half an hour of walking, we were finally in the dead space between palace and city lights.

Another twenty minutes and we were on the outskirts of the city

Now this one may just be me, but the "another twenty minutes" and "half an hour o f walking" doesn't fit well as a transition. First off, how would she really know it's been that long? I mean, is she glancing at her watch to see how much time has gone by? Unless there's a timed deadline in the story, I feel like specific time doesn't really have a place in storytelling. I don't care if it's been twenty minutes, half an hour or an hour. I'm interested in the characters and what they're doing/saying/thinking/seeing in those twenty minutes. Show me what happened in those twenty minutes rather than tell me it's been twenty minutes.

Aryan directed us into a small alcove where we could speak without worry.

I've been feeling nitpicky lately.So now Aryan is leading them? I was under the impression that Kerani was the one they were following. It just seems a bit strange for him to be the one to direct them somewhere, especially from behind Kerani. There's a point where he says something or Kerani asks for suggestions for a place to talk, right? There's a step missing here.

I would've liked to see more of the soft side of Kerani here at the end. I know it's just the opening chapter and we have a ton more time to get to see this side, but it was refreshing to see. Funny how it's only been one chapter and I already feel like I know Kerani so well. Kudos to you for that. Your characterization is definitely on point. I feel like there's a relationship between Isra and Kerani that is softer than any other relationship Kerani holds. Hopefully there will be more between the two of them later, or possibly just another relationship like theirs as it seems Isra is a bit preoccupied by work ;)

I wish you would've focused more on the city. We get a few descriptions as they're walking through, but not a lot. The image I have in my mind right now isn't all that clear. I understand the focus of this chapter is Kerani getting to Isra to find out information, but we want to be introduced to the city. We got a good look at the club -- for lack of a better term -- once we got there, but that's the only setting we really get. The recognition of the guards in the city give me an idea of how life is there, but not how things look. The buildings described are just that, buildings. We get the description that they look like they "belong with other nobility's apartment complexes" but that's it. I want more. Don't be afraid to slow things down and take a look around. The meeting with Isra isn't important enough to skip over description.

Adding onto that, there's basically nothing between Kerani's place and the city. There's only a paved road. Sure there's a "dead space" but what does that even mean? I'm imagining literally a road in the middle of nowhere with nothing surrounding it. Like there's a desert or something. I want more clues to come up with a strong image in my mind. This is obviously a fantasy world which means there has to be more setting than normal. It won't take more than a few paragraphs to help us mold that image in our minds.

You most definitely have your writing style pinned down. I didn't see any falters in your writing throughout this chapter. It's you from start to finish. I can appreciate a well written story. As I mentioned before, you've done a good job with Kerani so far. To be able to understand a character so well just from the first chapter is almost impossible to find. Tell me your secrets. I'm very interested to read the rest of this novel. You've got me hooked.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




Rosendorn says...


Thanks!

Okay before I reply to the rest, let me just clarify one thing that I forgot to mention xD 1.1 and 1.2 are the same scene, and 1.4 and 1.5 are the same scene. I write monstrously long scenes that are too long to review in depth unless they're cut. I should add notes about next scenes in when I post... keep forgetting.

Hrm, I'm going to have to debate the time thing. I've seen that advice floating around before, but I'm basically trying to give the impression that Kerani is very... obsessive and meticulous. So she counts things and keeps a mental record of time.

Aryan directing from the back is a magic quirk I'm still trying to work in! Basically, even though it's first person, there's so much heavy sensing magic you can energetically tap somebody on the shoulder and take over even without words. I'm trying not to use the word "sensed" at all this draft (after it made up 2% of the word count in my last draft).

Lack of building descriptions is me being overwhelmed by a lack of readily available shorthand for how to describe architecture in this world. They're not "castles" in the European sense, but Mughal palaces (think the Red Fort at Agra, or the Taj Mahal). So, I feel the need to describe lots of things because most readers won't know the words I'm using, which'll kill my pacing.

Transitions have always been a weakness xD



User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:48 pm
View Likes
Sins wrote a review...



Why, hello there.

I'm honestly so happy you asked me to do this. I've always wanted to read Cat Steps since I was a YWS fetus. I just never seemed to be around when you posted any updates, and felt like a potato reviewing something of yours from like 13 A.D. I f my memory serves me right, you were the first person to read/review a work I posted here, and honestly I owe you my soul for trudging through that mess. Alas, I sold that thing a long time ago, so this is the best I can do.

I wondered if this is how souls felt, waiting for judgment after death.


Image

The first of my companions, Aryan, was leaning against a stone pillar at the doorway to outside.

Am I right in pronouncing this as ah-ree-an? It's super similar to the Welsh word for money/silver, arian, and so I don't want to be making a noob mistake.

Joking finished and them ready to go,...

Those goddamn sly typos.

Still others were dark— the administrative buildings I normally visited when I visited this part of the city.


Super picky, but the repetition of visited here read a little awkwardly for me.


So just to warn you, I really don't know how much use I'll be here. I can tell that this is a thoroughly revised piece which has been, err, thoroughly revised very effectively. Your pace is good, your flow is smooth, and everything fits together nice and neatly. Your MC's voice (apologies, can't remember if you've given us her name yet) remains consistent throughout, and from what we've seen of her so far I like. She's not super serious, and she seems pretty kick-ass. I'm a fan! I have this weird obsession with opening lines, paragraphs, chapters e.t.c. and loved your opening line, so pat yourself on the back for that one. So yeah, a massive thumbs up to you overall! Now I don't want to go all guns blazing on this because it's only one fifth of the chapter, and so a lot of comments and questions I may have regarding this could be answered in the following extract. As such, be sure to take all this with a pinch of salt.

I'm a little torn on the kiss thing. On one hand I love it because it's different and unexpected and stuff, but I also feel like I want some more context. Err, let me explain. It's made pretty clear that Kerani (I sneaked a peek at Lumi's review below, shoutout to Lumi for his unintentional Skins aid) and Isra are pretty friendly. Maybe this is me jumping to conclusions, but it seems like they've known each other a while and would've formed a fairly solid relationship, albeit a 'business' one by now. Due to this, the kiss did feel a little random. You did hint at Kerani's attraction to Isra so it's not totally out of the blue, but she seems like someone with her head screwed on pretty tightly. Therefore, for her to succumb to Isra's seduction so easily seems a little off. I mean, it seems like her feelings of attraction to Isra must be pretty strong. As such, I feel like maybe a bit more context is needed to back this up. I'm not sure if that's actually made any sense, but I hope you've managed to untangle something from it.

Secondly, things did occasionally get confusing. Now, I am extremely easily confusable, and as I mentioned earlier, any questions I do have about stuff may well be answered in the very next extract. So I won't go crazy on this. Nonetheless, something that is strictly related to this extract in regards to making Skins confused are the characters. There are a lot of names floating about, and I'm struggling to remember what they are, and who they belong to. I'm sure this problem will diminish as we delve deeper into things and get to know the characters more, but the variety of names we're getting in this first 2,000 words or so is somewhat overwhelming. It makes me feel a little lost at times. This is a difficult one, though. The only advice to really give is to omit any names that aren't absolutely necessary to this extract, or that don't have to be noted now for future extracts.

There are some other somewhat confusing elements i.e. what it is exactly the gang are doing, the mention of marriage for Kerani and how it relates to everything else that's going on, some specific details of how this world is run e.t.c. If possible, expanding a little on some of these aspects without info-dumping would be beneficial, and would help with clarity. Nonetheless, it is generally all stuff that can easily be answered in the upcoming extracts. So long as you don't keep us waiting chapters upon chapters to shed some more light on the marriage situation, for example, you're good. I have my full faith in you not to do that, so you can probably ignore, like, all of this.

Oh, something else has just occurred to me. The gang were being all super sneaky and trying not to be seen, right? Surely, wandering into this strip club/brothel place and grabbing the girl that everyone is after runs some risks. I know Kerani was standing in the back, and it's not like she's holding up a neon sign above her head, but surely grabbing the apparent 'it girl' would've kind of made all that redundant? It would make people notice her, y'know? Maybe I'm overthinking this (I probably am, let's be fair), but it does seem a bit odd to me, considering she's trying to be all sleuthy (that's a word, don't question it). It popped up in my mind, anywho, so figured I'd bring it up.

Anywho, enough of me babbling on. I'm not sure how much of this has made sense, or is relevant to anything, but hopefully I've managed to help in some shape or form. I'm very much looking forward to reading the next extract, and if I didn't have a 9am lecture tomorrow I would totally be doing so tonight. I'm intrigued by the world Kerani lives in and am dying to know more about it, and I am super appreciative of the cliffhanger you've left at the end of this, despite it being a random fifth of the chapter. If you have any questions or comments regarding this review, you know where to find me!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins




Rosendorn says...


The names thing might be fixed in a posted-only-on-my-blog revision. I added a ton to the introduction so you have much more time with Aryan and Sakari before they head out on the town. I just didn't post it because I very much wanted the reviews to match up, and I couldn't get the chapters in the right order, so it's stuck on the blog.

You're right on Aryan's name as far as how I pronounce it!

And oh gosh all those little things you pointed out. Thaaaank you. My writing is terribly dense and getting everything in my head out on paper is. Difficult.



Sins says...


Ah, I see! That makes sense. I'm sure you do an awesome job at distinguishing the names and the characters with some more clarity there :) And yay, I never pronounce anything right!

I'm glad I could be of some help, anywho. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.



User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:33 am
Lumi wrote a review...



You've achieved a pacing in this opening chapter that can be achieved only through gauntlets of editing. I think you'll remember my early remarks years ago about the pacing issues and info dumping, and I'm well-pleased with this execution of showing how magic works, showing how Kerani's relationships work, showing how she operates in her own world. There are a couple of places where your phraseology could have been smoother; from memory the two that stand out are when she places the ward on the castle gate and again when they're exploring the adult 'playground'.

A big peeve you hit of mine is that after Kerani and <escort> hit her private room, I don't think you referred to her as anything other than 'she' for the entire remainder. Pronoun abuse, wouldn't you say? (Oh, the irony isn't wasted on me)

I'm very appreciative of your approach to cultural sensitivities and indicators. The chapter is healthily dipped into the cultural glaze, and I think that a major factor in this success is actually the exotic dancing!

Anyway, this is too much praise for my tastes. Pay heed to your pronoun frequency and smooth out the transitions.

With a big ol' wink for prostitution's sake,
Ty




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:59 pm
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hiya, Rosey!

So, I just really love your writing style, it's really nice to read. I feel like the MC has a clear voice and opinions and it all just flows really well. So far, I really like the story-line, even though it is all a bit mysterious, it's all very intriguing. I definitely was not expecting the kiss stuff at the end, so it makes me want to read more and find out what's going on.

Quick nitpick!

“Your friends here will have to pay extra if they want to enjoy these facilities,


What I found slightly confusing about this was that there were quite a few characters mentioned in bits of dialogue, then when they were mentioned again, I kind of forgot who they were. The only character I felt got a proper introduction was Isra, but mostly because she played quite an important part in the end of this section; but Vy, Sukuri, Suraj, Kerani, I feel like right now they're just names, so hopefully as the story goes on we find out more about them.

The next thing I'm going to say is a good thing, but it can get confusing. I feel like we're thrown into the story, which is great, because it makes me want to read on past this chapter to find out what's actually going on. However, I kind of have no idea what's going on at the same time. I'm sure as I read on, things will be explained, but this obviously isn't an ordinary sort of story, set somewhere everybody knows, so the rules of everything (not sure how else to describe it) is hard to follow. Like, the elephants thing, and the bit at the beginning about the MC being that first guy's wife. I'm sure all will be explained.

Overall, this was really cool. Sorry I don't have a lot to say. My main critique is really about all the characters being mentioned so fast, if you're not going to talk about them, maybe you don't have to mention them so quickly. This different type of world in the story is both confusing and intriguing. Hope I helped, feel free to ask any questions or if you'd ever like another review on anything.

Keep writing,
~ArcticMonkey x




User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 5740
Reviews: 71

Donate
Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:18 pm
View Likes
windrattlestheblinds wrote a review...



I REALLY like your opening passage. I think it’s a huge improvement on the old one; it’s more active, and it gives us a ton of information about characterization and setting right off the bat without having to infodump. We know that Kerani is either paranoid or important enough for constant background checks to be necessary, we know that this is a place with elephants and magic, and we get the first hint of how that magic works.

The paragraph beginning with “The sentinel lights faded” seems a little too complicated to me; I could keep track of what was going on because I read the last draft and have external knowledge of what’s happening, but I think it would probably be too opaque for someone coming into it cold. The main problem, I think, is the detour to talk about forest paths versus main roads. While it’s an interesting bit of worldbuilding and helps to reveal pieces of Kerani’s character, this early in the narrative it’s mostly just distracting. My suggestion would be to cut it for now and let the reader get used to the basic layout of palace->road->city first. You can always throw in lines about the forest paths a little later, once the basic image is established.

I’m pretty enamored with the dialogue revealing what Kerani et al are up to. It’s snappy, it flows well, and like the opening it gets a lot of information across very subtly. It does a good job of conveying the relationship between Kerani, Aryan, and Sakari, so we can be sure they’re good friends and comfortable with each other without having to be told. And you half-introduce Vy a lot earlier than you did in the last draft, which’ll make things much more streamlined later on.

“Or did you forget to ask in the name of tracking down the poisoner?” <- This exchange felt a little out of nowhere for me. It’s probably an allusion to a past event, but it doesn’t seem to connect to the situation you’ve built thus far of Kerani checking out a prospective husband’s prostitute habits. So I’m left wanting a little elaboration as to what this new thing means in the context of what’s going on right now, and I didn’t get it, so I was left going “wait, what?”

I like the description of the playground; it gives a very clear picture of what the place looks like without getting bogged down in detail or confusing.

Same goes for the entrance into Khusi Mahala itself, even though the details you give us for that have more to do with the people inside than the architecture. (And confirmation that trans men and women are commonplace and presumably accepted in this world!)

Isra’s initial description feels clunky to me. Since you’ve been sparse in your details about the physical appearances of all the other named characters so far, suddenly having a whole paragraph dedicated almost solely to telling us what Isra looks like feels like an interruption more than anything. Cutting it down or spreading that information out more would work better.

On the other hand, the dialogue that follows is so great. I think it’s probably my favorite exchange in this whole piece. It’s wonderful because it manages to convey that Isra and Kerani are on good terms and that there probably is genuine caring in that relationship, but also neither of them ever lose sight of the fact that ultimately, this is about business. And of course you show us more about magic and how it works in this world, which is fun too. And spelling out that Kerani is asexual plus the way Isra is so understanding and accepting of that despite what she does for a living… I like it a lot.





You can't fool me! I listen to public radio!
— Squidward Tentacles