16+ Violence Mature Content

.

by Rosendorn

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

.

Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there Lima Bean! Nikayla here dropping in for a review on this Review Day.

Don't expect this review to be fully conscious for warning, I already forget parts of the first chapter--hopefully reading the rest of this will refresh my memory. Like how I almost forgot Kerani's name just now! Anyway, I enjoy how we pick up where we left off in the last part.

She undid the lock before I got to the door and I held it open for her. She returned to her sensual air. “You always are such a gentleman, Cat.”

So this is where Cat Steps comes from? I'm interested to see where the plot goes with the main character being forced to marry a husband while she's attached to Cat. Seems as if she's significant in the novel, though I'm pretty sure Kerani ending up with Cat after breaking off from her husband isn't the way that this is going to go. I also don't think that this will go in the direction of Kerani being in heartache because of not being able to see Cat anymore either. Perhaps though she still sees Cat after she's married? Maybe their relationship changes and we learn more about Cat?

I'm just speculating a bit of what might happen in the future with their relationship--I'm probably totally off though. Their interactions have been my favorite this far into the novel, but we'll see if somebody else can beat that. [Edit: As you know I now know that the hooker is indeed not Cat and instead Kerani is Cat so if you could substitute 'Cat' for 'Hooker' it'd be greatly appreciated.]

I can see that this chapter is a bit more lacking in the description department! Doesn't need too much because this novel is mostly focused on the dialogue for the first half of the chapter and the second half after a bit of transitioning is epic because of the fight scene. I'm not usually so mesmerized but I loved that about this chapter--I don't get to see that often and this turns out to be pretty dang sweet in that department.

My shoulder throbbed from the impact, legs still braced from the throw. Threads of shredded cotton landed on the equally shredded skin on my deltoid, making me wince. I reached up to feel my shirt in tatters for the whole joint, leather vest scratched and edges damp from blood. I’d skidded, hadn’t I. That, or landed off my armour before turning to take it on my back.

Judging from the bloody streak on the stone a few feet ahead of me, both was the best bet.

First of all, the second to last sentence in the first paragraph here should...probably be a question? Second of all, 'both was the best bet' in the single sentence that follows afterwards is awkward wording. I didn't want to go too in-depth about grammar this chapter because I want to talk more about the actual content. The end of the chapter is nice and sweet even. The characters and their interactions are easily the strongest and best parts even in the midst of battle.

I love how tight-knit the group feels already because it's warm and strong during a cool scene. Introducing these characters further by this means while also progressing the plot is cool though I found the Rat and that whole part to be confusing. The reader doesn't really know who the Rat is and then boom we're seeing a fight scene--I didn't like that aspect too much. That's easily the weakest part of this chapter, though other than that? Pretty solid.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:22 pm
Sins wrote a review...

Me again!

Tension build up in my arm as I readied for the throw.

I'm not sure if this is written intentionally so that it sounds all dramatic and stuff, but it reads a little awkward to me. Either that, or it's just a typo and you were meant to write built instead of build :P

That's it for nit-picks. You did a good ol' job here on the technical front, that's for sure.

Just to warn you, this is going to be a really empty review because I'm struggling with criticism here, especially with coming up with new criticism that others haven't addressed previously. But anywho. This extract was a fun one, and I loved the action in it. Fight scenes can be so goddamn difficult to write, and I have to say that yours definitely gets a thumbs up from me. I liked that you wrote it in short, blunt sentences, and it was all pretty clear. As mentioned in my last review, and briefly in this one already, the technical side of your writing is wonderful. Perfect grammar as far as I can tell, and a comfortable flow and pace. Overall, a really goddamn good piece of writing! Now I have skimmed over some reviews to avoid sounding like a parrot, but it was a very brief skim so apologies if I end up doing so.

Okay, so I want to start with something that's probably down to me being an absolute idiot, as opposed to anything you've done. I can't quite be sure why, probably purely due to their name, but I'd assumed the Rats were 'bad' up until sorta half way through the fight scene. We didn't really hear anything about them in the first part (from what I can remember), and so didn't know what to think of them until they came into the picture. Re-reading with this in mind, you do note how they helped train Kerani before the fight scene, so this probably is just me being a screamer (stupid). Nonetheless, perhaps insert a little side note somewhere mentioning them with some more clarity? If you have already and I simply missed it, perhaps add a few more? Just to avoid confusing slow people like me.

Speaking of the Rats, why exactly did they help Kerani (I keep wanting to call her Cat because of the hooker, but I don't feel like we're on nickname terms yet). But yes, where was I... Oh yeah, the Rats. What do they gain from helping these guys? Surely it'd be easier, more convenient, and safer for them to just leave it? You noted something about them making exceptions for Kerani, but why? I'm just finding myself questioning their motives. Some people are just nice and I get that, and maybe that's what they are, but I feel like that's not the case. Plus the way you've described their behaviour, appearance e.t.c. they seem to be a secretive bunch. So why do they help Kerani and co. without a second thought?

Another why? critique on my part is the concept of an illusion of a girl being created to trick people. I don't really understand why this illusion exists in the first place. What would whoever created it gain from attacking random people? Because they wouldn't have known Kerani would be the one to find her, surely? What were the attackers motives? I suppose the question I'm actually asking here is why aren't the characters asking all this? They may do this in the following extracts, I know, but it seems like something you'd immediately wonder, y'know? I don't know, I guess what I'm saying is that everyone's reacting pretty normally to what has happened (and just generally seem so chilled), and I kind of want them not to be.

Aaaaand finally! This one's a bit of a repeat from previous reviews, but your dialogue can sometimes be a little all at once. You'll have a narrative or action scene without much, if any, dialogue, and then have a pretty large chunk of dialogue without much action or narrative in-between. Err, does that make sense? Even little things like having Kerani curse under her breath during the fight scene would help with this. I think it may be partly down to the fact that you tend to like to have all characters present say something during some dialogue i.e. instead of having Sakari just nap, you have her react to the revelation of the girl being an illusion. I'm not saying that specific area is a problem and that should be omitted, it's just the one that sprung to mind (probably because of the whole her napping thing). Don't be afraid to have non-verbal reactions to things characters say, or single lines of dialogue, or to let some characters play minor (if any role) in conversations.

I actually had more to say than I thought, huh. Please do bear in mind that everything I've said is me being super picky because I have to be. This is a difficult thing to critique because it is so polished, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. As such, everything I say requires to be taken with a heart-disease sized sprinkling of salt. You know where to find me if you've got any questions, so I'll leave you here!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Rosendorn says...

Wow okay this is so useful you have no idea.

The Rat is... horribly under-developed. I don't think I've explained them yet and I'm 20k in, oops. Probably because they never played that big a role early on before, so in this draft they kind of just... showed up as key players. I can answer your question if you want, because I do have an answer, it's just in my head.

Hopefully the questions answered about the illusion will be answered in chapter 1... I do explain it!

Sins says...

I have an awful habit of not developing plots, characters, ideas e.t.c. in my first few chapters because everything is that much more two-dimensional when you start writing something, so you doing that here makes total sense. It's just one of those things to tighten up as much as possible in edits!

And oooo, I look forward to hearing the explanation :P

Rosendorn says...

Oh, oops, it's chapter 2. And it might not actually be explained all that clearly.

It's only really obvious I need a ton more revisions xD

Sins says...

Hahaha, well I'll let you know as I read on! I'd suck so badly at even attempting to write something as complex as this, so if you ask me, you're doing extremely well.

The amount of novel revisions and edits that have slowly diminished my sanity over the years is horrifying, so I feel you on that. So much <3

Rosendorn says...

Would you believe this is, numbers-wise, only officially draft 2? I revised the beginning 30 times without finishing, finally went "okay no I am completing one draft darn it", and this is only the next draft after that.

Sins says...

Ermahgerd, no way? I bow down to thee.

Rosendorn says...

If you go by incomplete drafts, then it's revision... 38? So that explains a few things

Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:30 am
Vervain wrote a review...

Hello! Reviewing 1.1 and 1.2 as a full scene.

This is a little difficult for me to get my thoughts in order on these parts, mainly because they are a beginning part and not quite indicative of the entirety of the novel. However, I did think your pacing and characterization were pretty good -- I only have a couple of smaller nitpicks with the narration and the overall tone of the piece, but the latter is definitely influenced by the former. Apologies if I repeat myself. Let's begin.

I shook my head. “Glad you enjoyed yourself.”
He followed me out of the wing. “I would’ve for longer had you not called. What’s going on?”
I didn’t reply but instead went to Pari, who was now inside the courtyard.
“I wondered when you’d come out,” she said.
I jerked my head back towards my friends. “Had to get them. Saw anything?”
She shook her head. “Just heard the grunt. Told my people to get inside, if there’s already trouble.”
“Good.”
We walked out and this time the door locked behind us.

There are sections like this that honestly catch me off guard with how sparsely described they are. Even with the style being not completely descriptive, moments like these seem to descend nearly into "talking heads" territory. You have some description of minor motions, but overall it's like Kerani is separate from the conversation going on. She says things, other people say things, and while there's emotion in the form of the dialogue, the narration feels almost like it's being told from ten feet away. What kinds of movements would Kerani be more inclined to notice at a time like this? Would her attention be jumping all over the place, or trained stoically on Pari, or divided between Aryan and Sakari, or set to staring at the ground...? We get no feeling of this, just that Kerani is standing there, talking -- and while she can be separate from the conversation emotionally, it feels like there's a spatial distance between the character and the story itself.

Your description is nice in the quieter parts, and nice during the fight -- during the fight, it feels more natural for the spatial distance to be equitable in the narration, because Kerani is focusing on a few distinct areas -- but I feel like conversations between two people might have a tendency to turn into a talking heads scenario, where we have "I said", "she said". While the little motions definitely help with that, there are a few questions to ask during that -- where would Kerani be looking, what would Kerani be doing physically, where the people are, and how close they are in proximity. All of these would help stimulate the senses of someone reading, and not necessarily in the way of "describe everything", but even with just a throwaway sentence or two of description.

What's a little confusing is that this doesn't happen to all of the conversations, which is what one would assume. I think that the example with Pari up there was the most glaring one, actually -- the rest of the conversations, if they get anywhere near "talking heads" level, always seem to throw in a couple of small descriptions that bring the world back around Kerani.

A few nitpicky sentences, just for good measure where they caught my eye:

The feathers on her gold bracers were gold-tinted.
(In part one.) Redundancy here with "gold bracers" and "gold-tinted".

She dipped her head before turning to catch the eye of her next client, poised to take advantage of any territorial individuals who wanted to be her first that night.
Extremely nitpicky here, but modifier order implies that her next client is poised. I don't even know how I'd rework this one, though.

A small smile spread across her lips. “Glad to have you on board again.”
A little bit of pronoun confusion here -- I know you mean Vy, but just two paragraphs before, Aryan was speaking, which means that people might have a tendency to read this as Aryan instead of Vy.

Overall, I didn't find a lot to nitpick or complain about -- just the talking heads issue, and I'm still kind of on the fence on if it's actually a carrying issue or not. In any case, this is just the first part, and I'm looking forward to reviewing the rest!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 am
Lumi wrote a review...

I always like seeing a good enchant in fiction. Or in your case, a ward.

In your combat, I'm hesitant to pick apart the pacing because I honestly want more information--or rather different information. I like that Kerani talks herself through the fight, but the man lacked animation, and felt sort of tutorial-trial-dummy for the introduction-to-cat-steps package. It's a shame because everything up until this point has been so alive and animated; you'd think that an action scene takes that to another level entirely. That said, your first fight was a decent one, with Sakari's elementalist powers not dominating the action, as admittedly predicted.

And instantly we have plot number two, giving us
1.) love!and!marriage! and
2.) trouble in the south, more politically rooted.

It's a good indicator of Kerani's upcoming character development. Knowing you, this is only the tip of the iceberg. My final comment comes in the form of the Rat(s). Unless I read too quickly, you failed to mention what the Rats were until they were a major player type in the scene. Pay attention to that in case it wasn't a fluke on my end, as it's risky and hard to pull off elements before they've been introduced.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 am
LadySpark wrote a review...

Hey darling. Surprise ;) This is gonna be a combined review for both 1.1 and 1.2.

Okay, your grammar is impeccable, so I'm just gonna talk about what I'm seeing. I'm seeing confusion. This is still the first chapter, and sooo many characters have been introduced, so many things have happened it's just...wow. I need a breather. My brain can't process any of this. I don't even know who the MC is or what they're doing or why they're doing it. I kind of understand she's trying to find out stuff about a possible husband, but I'm not quite sure what interrogating a hooker has to do with it. You also info dumped. A lot. Not so much in this post, but definitely in 1.1. And you didn't really info dump about anything relating directly to what's going on. It was random facts about the world that don't even feel relevant yet. I really don't need to know how little bits of the world work. I need to be introduced to characters. I need to understand what this story is about. By the time 1.1 is done, we've been introduced to 6 characters with mentions of at least 4 more. That's a lot. It's an overload. I understand the concept of diving right in but.... sloow down man. Let me soak in the fact that she's this badass warrior that goes to whore houses to check out possible husbands and then gets into street fights with random people for no reason (or was there a reason?). Give us some background. Why is she so intent on knowing everything about this possible husband? Did something happen to make her this way?
And another thing, why and how did she become a warrior in the first place? Is it a tomboyish habit she picked up when she was little and never grew up? Or is it something that all princesses are trained to do? Apparently this place is pretty dangerous considering she kind of waltzes into a street fight. Does this happen often?

Next nitpick. Your dialogue. It's long, and it's hard to keep track of who's talking. There's not enough action to keep it interesting. It's just straight up dialogue so there's nothing juicy. Tell me what they're doing while they're talking. Are they playing with their knives, ready to fight? Give us something here. Help us get to know the characters through the little actions and things they say.

Next. There's a lot of odd wording going on. It's very formal, stiff and odd feeling. It doesn't sit right. I don't know if it's worded oddly because you're trying to sound more old than a usual contemporary novel or what, but it's really difficult to read easily the way some of your sentences are worded. For example,

The lattice was less dense on this floor, and with my face pressed to the screen I could see a figure lying near the entrance to an alleyway across the street, just barely visible in a lantern’s light.

First off, I'm not sure what the lattice has to do with anything. This is one of the facts I'm talking about that isn't really necessary. It makes it dense and all this extra stuff is making it harder to understand something that's already confusing. Wording wise, I would just rearrange the words. "I pressed my face to the screen" instead of "My face pressed to the screen" is more actiony and less mundane. (By the way, she's seeing a figure across the street in the entrance to an alleyway by LANTERN light? In the dark? That's... some impressive sight.)
Sentences like this being rearranged and cut down would help a LOT with the confusion.

However, the confusion I felt when reading 1.1 lessened considerably during 1.2. I can see how it's just going to take awhile to get used to the way you write and the way you're into action fast and immediate. I think as the novel progresses I'm going to get more and more used to the characters and start understand your world. But this is the hook. If this is the way you write, that's awesome. I love the action, I love the badassedness of your character, but it's a hook. If people are confused, they're going to have a hard time continuing because people don't like to be confused. So. My suggestion is slow down, take your time. You've got an entire novel for kissing hookers and fighting in alleys. Another reason to slow down is because we don't know these characters, we don't CARE that they're kissing hookers or they want an honorable husband or they're battling. We could care less about them. You have to make us love them first.

I hope that was enough shredding for you. It was hard because DAMN. This was awesome. Keep up the fantastic work <3

So glad you pushed yourself, darling~ However the way you improve is to get push back ;)

First off, I'm wondering if your opinion changes when you find out this is one unbroken scene in my document. I only made it in two parts for reviewability, because the scene is 4,860 words long.

I find it funny when you latch onto the lattice, when that is one of the hallmarks of Mughal architecture. Maybe I should call it by its proper name? I'd lengthen the a (jaali) so people don't misunderstand, but I was trying to avoid too many Hindi words.

I'm wondering what other details you find too much%u2014 lines like the gate meant for elephants? The sari and mention of peacock feathers? The thing with those lines is, they're the signal to the reader this world is set somewhere other than Europe.

So my question becomes: how can I get the same non-European flavours without making it distracting and dense?

LadySpark says...

That fact might make it worse, actually. xD You've got so much going on and there's MORE? That's a frightening thought. xD

The sari/elephant door weren't that much. They were done subtly and I registered them without stopping. I think the reason I pointed out the lattice is because it's such an irreverent factor. The majority of the readers aren't going to know it's a very dominant feature of Hindu architecture, and it's not going to make us think "Oh this is Hindu." It was just thrown out there with no connection to the rest of the story. THAT'S what was hard for me. Not the bits and pieces of the world you're building, but the irrelevant facts that just kind of float around are what's making it kind of incohesive.

Yeah and I'm asking to define "irrelevant", because I'm apparently not getting it. For me the lattice is the same type of addition as the sari as the door.

LadySpark says...

Okay since you're talking about the screen, lattice is almost an afterthought (even though it's first) because a screen and lattice are very similar and or the same thing. You could say something like "I pressed my face to the lattice" instead of "The lattice was less dense on this floor, and with my face pressed to the screen..." That way it's more to the point and it's worded more precisely. What I meant was you often have wording that's a little mixed up or off to where the meaning gets lost.

Ahhhhh. Basically whenever I describe things twice. I've been known to overwrite, but I don't always spot it because I don't realize what's repetitive.

So it's not that I was adding in too many worldbuilding details, but the fact I was repeating those details in short order. There is a slight difference there.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:49 pm
90skids says...

I like this so far. I like the start but, I have found that you do have an awful lot of dialogue which can become somewhat confusing. I like all of the action which is taking place in this part of your novel and I think that I'll read the next part once its been written.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:10 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

Hey again!

I'm going to keep this as a comment for now, because I really can't think of what to put in a review. There are a few things I wanted to talk about~
-I think I understand the characters more clearly in this part than the second part. I mean, it's still a bit confusing, but it's getting there and I'm sure as the story goes on everything about them will become more clear.
-I really love the action in this section, a nice contrast to the other part, because it was way more exciting to read.
-I feel like generally, there's just quite a lot of dialogue in your story, and it's often short bits. It does reveal stuff about the characters, but sometimes not much to the story.

Okay, that's it, keep writing!

Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:15 am
windrattlestheblinds wrote a review...

Even though not a whole lot changed in this section, I think it reads a lot more clearly due to the changes in 1.1; we’ve seen a little more detail about Aryan and Sakari and at least heard of Vy before, so when it comes to a fight it’s a lot easier to follow along without going “wait who are these people again??”

I’m going to sound like I’m repeating myself but, again, I sort of love the relationship between Isra and Kerani—it’s really, really nice to see a prostitute-client relationship that seems like it’s genuine while also obviously still predicated on exchanges of money for services. You handle that balance really well, I think.

I don’t think I mentioned this last time, but I do really like the way you set up the pre-fight. Creepy too-empty alley, weird circumstances surrounding the body… I didn’t notice so much reading the first draft, being too caught up in trying to work out what was going on, but you do a marvelous job of building suspense once Kerani et al are outside.

“Vy, the one who’d tried to teach me how to wield the crossbow she held” feels clunky to me. The information seems important—Vy’s a long range fighter and Kerani presumably isn’t, if she’s no good with a crossbow despite training—but the phrasing is sort of opaque and weird. “Vy, holding the crossbow she’d once tried to teach me to wield” might read a little better, but I think you should also consider finding a different way to get that point across?

This is minor, but—is the plural form “the Rats” or “the Rat”? I noticed you used both. Or is it that the organization is “Rat” but a group of its members are “Rats”?

I want to read morrrrrrrre. Desperately. The ending has me doing the internet equivalent of shaking you by the shoulders and screaming “WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!”

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee