Wish I had a name for this!

by RedBird

This sort of just popped into my head. I haven't any idea what it really means, but...well, there you go. :D

Shining like a knife,
dark in the light,
as alike as
anything can be.

To this I owe,
nothing.
And yet,
I come back,
again, again.

Anger rears,
but I pay no heed,
for Fear
is beyond such things.

Hey, Redbird! I'm here as your Secret Santa~

The first big question I have is "What on earth is this poem about!?"
When I was in the best class I ever took in college, the biggest thing my teacher taught me about writing was to beware the words like "it", "this", and "that", because they are easily misinterpreted. An "it", "this", or a "that" refers back to the last thing that was named, usually.
In this poem, however, you never have a concrete concept for the "this" in the second stanza to refer back to. The entire first stanza describes the concept you want to focus on. It says what it is like, so there's no moment of definition.

There might have been a reveal in the third stanza, but there wasn't because there were two conflicting possibilities: anger or fear.

And I guess the bigger problem is your description of whatever concept you want to focus on is so non-specific we can't even guess whether it's anger or fear. Anything could be like a knife. Anything could be dark in the light. Even joy could be described like a knife in certain circumstances. And please take a look at the last two lines of the first stanza:

as alike as
anything can be.

When we use the word "alike", we have to talk about TWO things. So now, we're not only missing the main concept, but also missing what it's LIKE to. It can't really be anger and fear, because you say fear is beyond anger.

What I would suggest is getting more specific. Go beyond the general words used to describe these emotions, and write about one specific moment of the emotion. What do you feel when the anger starts? What do you feel after fear subsides? Or which ever moment you want? Then use specific, vivid images to evoke a visceral reaction in your reader. Using metaphors and similes to describe similar things can help bring out more specific emotions -- you have a whole world of things to describe instead of one person feeling afraid or angry, you know?

I hope this is helpful~~~ PM me if you have any questions or comments. :)

Wed May 05, 2010 4:15 am
Elinor wrote a review...

Hi!

So, I think I felt a little cheated when reading this poem. This is simply because it could be so much better, be filled with so much more detail then it has right now. I like the idea behind it and what it could become, but the actual meat of the story just seemed a little thin and lacking. as much, I'll do a stanza-by-stanza critique of this.

Shining like a knife,
dark in the light,
as alike as
anything can be.

In this section, the question I really need to ask is what. What's shining like a knife? What's as alike as anything can be? When you're using comparisons and similes, it can help if you're actually comparing two things! In this stanza, I get one item but not the other, and it can get a bit confusing.

To this I owe nothing.
And yet, I come back
again and again.

As you can see already, I've rearranged the line breaks from the way you had before. In the original state, it was just confusing. For instance, why did "nothing" deserve its own line? I understand it's a powerful word within the line/stanza, but you should try to keep phrases, especially short ones, all one line. That keeps things flowing a bit better for the reader.

Anger rears,
but I pay no heed,
for Fear
is beyond such things.

I just think you need to rephrase this part. It took me two times to read this through and really understand what you want to say. It seems to me like you're just trying to be fancy and impress us with a big vocabulary. For instance, would "rear" even be correct? Maybe "roars" would be better. You could argue that that wouldn't be correct, but it's worked before in the metaphorical sense.

When you're revising this, just try to remember about flow. Keep phrases on one line unless they start to get much too long. Also, try to use proper grammar-punctuate a poem just like you would punctuate a story-as I noticed a few mistakes. Hope this helped! Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions.

-Elinor xo

Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 am
ArahniaSiddel wrote a review...

#0000BF ">O.k. I read this poem and I left with nothing but confusion. If there is some deep meaning to this poem I don't see it. I think you need to give more information. #FF0080 ">It seems as if your stanzas are trying to be the same, but aren't working together. I am sorry I couldn't help more.
A. S.

Sat May 01, 2010 5:14 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Ack! Ack! Bill the Cat! Omg, your avvie is amazing, RedBird! :D

Now, to the poem! It's really really random right now... which makes sense because you don't even know what it means! And that's okay... really! Now, to make it really poetic, look at it and think of what it could mean. Think about it for a while and then, when you think you have an answer, expand on t his. Your poetry will be that much better, honest. :D

Sat May 01, 2010 3:55 am
antimelrose wrote a review...

I'm afraid that you haven't give us, the audience, a lot to work with. And if the author doesn't even understand what he or she wrote, how can the readers?

The first stanza is loaded with cliche–esque imagery, and is opaque. Remove it.

Your rhythm/meter is irregular from stanza to stanza, which is something I think you should fix.

Second stanza is confusing because it refers to some truth we were supposed to have gathered from the previous, but as I already mentioned, this is impossible.

And, well, the third stanza reads like complete nonsense.

I shall be frank. Post only what you understand; and if no one else does, at least you can clarify for them. Otherwise, don't even bother.

–antimelrose

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:25 am
kingolions wrote a review...

Hey,

It is a good poem, but not all of it makes sense. I do like the part about the knife. Is it meant to be like a thing of darkness and danger in light of peace. (if not, then ignore what I said. It's just my lame opinion.)

The part that doesn't make sense to me is the part, 'as alike as anything can be.' How is it alike? What is it alike to? When you write, if you don't understand what is said, then the reads probably won't either.

But it was pretty good. Keep it up.

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle