z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

Thrallmagic: Chapter 12

by TheCrimsonLady


Chapter 12

Prince Alexander turns to me, bowing slowly. His eyes are calculating, and I briefly wonder what he thinks of me before I put it out of my mind. I don’t bother to curtsy, instead striding over to the small table and sitting down. Alexander follows me, an amused expression on his face. When he makes no move to speak, I wait, inspecting my nails, keeping a carefully disinterested face.

Finally, he speaks. “You look tired, princess. Have you been sleeping well?”

I roll my eyes. “Get to the point, Alexander. I didn’t come here to listen to a fool ramble on.”

He chuckles delightedly. “You wound me with your words, Rionach.” Pressing a hand dramatically to his chest, he pretends to die.

Just as I’m about to reply, Lindon’s consciousness floods mine, and I wince. Pressing a hand to my head, I try to figure out what’s happening to him, and I realise that he’s simply dreaming. When I look up, Alexander is watching me with a frown, so I drop my hand and snort. “See? This is what happens when you ramble on and on.”

He furrows his brow. “Cyan told me about your hea-“

I cut him off with a hiss. “Oh, of course Cyan told you. He tells you everything, doesn’t he?” I shouldn’t have said that. I wonder what’s come over me to make me lose control like that, but the words don’t stop pouring out. “You had no right to make him follow me, spy on me. I can’t-“

“I didn’t make him do anything- he offered. Besides, you’re my enemy’s daughter. Did you really suspect we wouldn’t?” His voice is infuriatingly calm, and he looks mystified at my reaction.

Suddenly, I feel a wave of calm flood over me again, and in a flash of understanding, I realise that Lindon’s feelings have flooded into me. Taking a deep breath, I sit back in my chair. The wind brings the scent of sweet roses with it. Faerielights bob here and there, casting silver shadows onto the ground.

“Of course not.” I click my fingers on the table, impatient. “Still, I would like to sleep tonight, so, Alexander, what do you want from me?”

He raises an eyebrow. “And what will you do if I say I want your head on a stick?”

Another test. Lovely. “I certainly won’t give you my head on a stick. But we are quite alone, you don’t drink blood yet, and it’s a long way down.” I raise my eyes to meet his, letting him see that I have no qualms about staging his death should he threaten me.

He rubs his chin thoughtfully. “Lucky for me, then, I have no intention of doing that.” He smiles at me, a charming, devilish smile that puts me entirely off guard. Running a hand through his short hair, he seems to consider something. “Were you serious, what you said about the queen?”

I shrug. “I don’t know, I’ve said many things about her.” I stifle a yawn, feeling as though my eyes will slide shut at any moment.

His face is serious now, and his hand grips his armrest tightly. “What you said about wanting her gone. About wanting to be queen.”

I raise my eyebrows. “I never said that I wanted to be queen, or remove my mother from her position. I simply stated that it is my birthright to rule if my father is unable to.”

Letting go of the armrest, he laces his hands together on the table. “Tell me, Rionach, how long will your father live?” As he speaks, he grimaces at the bluntness of his sentence, but makes no move to apologise.

I glare at him. “I don’t know, but we have some of the best healers in the world at court, and I mean to do as much as I can for him.”

Alexander laughs, almost- but not quite- mockingly. “Cyan heard nearly your entire conversation last night. You might prolong the king’s suffering, but he will not live, not even if Anwyn herself blesses him.”

No longer able to sit, I stand up abruptly, my chair skittering back. I pace to the edge of the roof and look down, gripping the wall so tightly my knuckles are white.

Alexander follows me, and says, “I’m sorry if I offended you, Rionach, but-“

I sigh. “That’s the problem. You didn’t offend me. Everything you said is true, but I don’t want it to be. Can you understand that?” By the end, I’m whisper-yelling, and his expression is getting more and more sympathetic. Turning away from him, I begin to pace.

“I can. You’re not the only one who’s felt that, you know.” He lays a hand on my shoulder, but I shake it off angrily.

“I know that. Of course I know that!” I tug on my hair angrily, twisting a strand between my fingers. “Just tell me what you want, Alexander. I’m tired, and I want to go to bed.”

It takes him a while to reply. “Invite me to your meetings. I’ll help you, and so will my cousins.”

Still facing away from him, I say, “Why? Why is everyone so eager to help me?”

He laughs bitterly. “Because everyone needs something from you or your kingdom, of course.”

It dawns on me, what he wants. “You want my money. Or rather, my country’s money.”

“Not your money, exactly. I think that a trade agreement between Lysian and Valkyr would be beneficial to both.” He almost sounds like he believes himself.

I reply with an incredulous snort. “You can’t really mean that.” Turning on him, I speak, trying not to yell. “How on earth is that beneficial to Valkyr? You have rocks and men, neither of which I want.” Calming myself, I add, “Besides, if that’s what you want, why didn’t you just ask for that, instead of offering to help me?”

He shrugs. “It’s obvious that you have no power with your mother on the throne.” Seeing my furious glare, he steps back, holding his hands out to placate me. “It’s true! And the queen would never consider a trade agreement with us. She hates vampires too much, and thinks of her country too little.”

I wait for my defensiveness to spring up, but all I feel is a numb loss at his words. Somehow, somewhere, I’ve accepted that I will never change my mother. “You’re right, I suppose. I don’t know when next we’ll meet, or where, but I’ll tell you. You have my word.” As I turn to leave, my foot catches on a stray vine, and I lose my balance, falling forward. As my weight pitches over the short wall, a shriek rips out of my throat. Frantically, I try to find some purchase or grip, but none meet my flailing hands.

Then, suddenly, I feel myself being pulled backwards, re-bruising the place on my hip that has healed overnight. As Alexander pulls me backwards, we both lose our balance, falling backward in a tangle of limbs. He catches himself on the end of the table, and we both breathe a sigh of relief. Somehow, I’ve turned around, so that I’m facing him, and we look at each other silently. For a moment, I see him as a man, rather than someone who wants something from me, and my breath catches as I gaze upon his handsome face. A curl of his dark hair has fallen onto his face, and I resist the sudden urge to brush it away. His eyes, warm and brown meet mine for the first time this night, and suddenly, I step back, away from him.

Shaking my head to clear it, I say, “Thank you, Alexander. I don’t know what would have happened had you not been there.”

Alexander smiles. “Well, it doesn’t much look like I’ll be falling to my death anytime soon. Aren’t you fae supposed to be graceful?” He laughs good-naturedly, and I smile up at him.

“Supposed to be.” I brush a piece of hair out of my face as we stare at each other again. Silence fills the air, and abruptly, I say, “Well, I had better get back. There’s sure to be someone looking for me.”

Alexander bows his head. “As should I.”

Still, neither of us move, and I say, “Perhaps you should leave first. We don’t want to be seen leaving together, after all. I will get to you with information about when we will meet next.” I step back. “Good night, Alexander.”

He smiles. “Good night, Rionach.” He walks away, but the turns back around. “Did you know, no one calls me Alexander? It doesn’t sound like my name to me.”

I raise my eyebrows questioningly. “What do they call you, then?” I walk closer to him, plucking a dark rose from one of the vines as I do.

“Alex.” He shrugs. “I played with the servants children when I was the child. In Lysian, the royal family is poorer than most of the peasants. The nobles would have nothing to do with me, and the servants never called me Alexander.”

“I suppose it caught on?” I watch as he nods.

“Just a bit.” He hesitates, but then asks, “I don’t suppose you’re called anything other than ‘your highness’ and ‘Princess Rionach’?”

I laugh. “Ria. My friends call me Ria.”

He narrows his eyes suspiciously, fighting a smile off of his face. “Are we friends, then?”

“Like I said the first time we met- if you call me Ria, I’ll call you Alex. Deal?” My mood is playful, and light, and for the first time in days, I’ve forgotten about my worries.

“Deal. Good night, Ria.” Alexander strides away, taking the stairs two at a time until he’s out of my sight, leaving me utterly confused. Brushing the soft petals of my rose against my cheek, I wait for a minute and follow after him, wondering what to tell and what not to tell Lindon.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
396 Reviews


Points: 27
Reviews: 396

Donate
Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:27 am
Pompadour wrote a review...



It's been a while. Hello~

PRINCE ALEXANDER is such a hottie gets a scene!

On that note, I'm not sure how I like him as a character. There have been too many gaps in his appearances since the beginning, and I feel like his characterisation is inconsistent, because here he is suddenly playful and familiar with Ria, where in the last chapters he was not. There have not been many signs of his developing relationship with Ria, so seeing them get along so well is slightly ... startling. He struck me first as rather uptight, but he's pretty casual here, so I don't know what to make of him.

I felt like this chapter is meant more for 'let's-chew-on-potential-side-plots' purposes than an actual arc in the way of events--and that's perfectly fine, because those kind of chapters act as a breather--but it might stand better as part of chapter eleven when you edit. I liked how you ever-so-subtly inserted that bit about Lysian's royal family into the piece, and I'm keen on finding out more about the world. It's a bit of a late entry, I think, for Alexander, but better late than never, eh? I have a feeling he's going to be a crucial instrument in worldbuilding, because in building bridges between vampires and faeries, a lot of things will be explained to us as well.

Rionach seems so drained here. I'm still wondering about what happened back at the temple--is she experiencing any after-effects? Does Alexander know what happened? I think it's likely Cyan would have told him, but he didn't mention it at all--which he really should, considering it happened today, and expressing sympathy for your host is a fantastic way of getting into their good books. ;)

Anyway, I don't have anything more to mention that hasn't been said already, so keep writing! Keep it up!

Hope this helped.

~Pomp x




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:45 am
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello again! I've probably missed a fair few chapters in between but I figured it would be nice to review something where I at least know the characters :)

Specifics

1. Why are men not useful to her country? I find that a very odd statement and yet Alexander accepts it and makes no counter argument. Surely men are useful to everyone? Unless the country doesn't produce enough food? That's the only reason I can think of for not wanting more men to fight for them or work for them or build etc.

Overall

There's not a lot wrong with this piece. The description of the room and action is good and certainly the description of Alexander makes me start to see him in a new light and I'm not sure if I think Ria is falling into a trap or if maybe there is more to him than just being a creepy vampire. He's certainly smart and that comes across well in this chapter.

I find Ria is on the losing side of the dialogue - not necessarily a bad thing - but I would have liked her to win at least one part of the conversation. She sort of gets a point in early on when she answers what she would do if he asked for her head on a stick but I didn't really understand her threat (probably because I've missed a few chapters) and she loses the point a moment later when Alexander says that's not what he's asking for afterall.

It's good that you don't have your main character as an over powerful person and that she does fall out of windows and find herself attracted to the enemy. However it's hard to not find her a little pathetic if she loses every battle against him if that makes sense?

A little more sensory description might be nice as well - what does the wall feel like when she's grappling against it or what does Alexander's touch feel like when he pulls her back in? Strong? Warm? Or cold - are vampires cold?

Good to see you're still going with this one!

~Heather






Rydia!
All your points as very, very, helpful! About the men thing- I should make this more clear, I think- she's saying that trusting him with what amount to her life isn't worth it for more manpower.



Rydia says...


Glad I could help! And that makes more sense now :)



User avatar
146 Reviews


Points: 3999
Reviews: 146

Donate
Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:08 am
Dragongirl wrote a review...



I am surprised this has no reviews. This is good, very good. I haven't read any of your previous chapters yet I was able to jump into this one without being totally confused.

So the first thing I want to talk about is world building. Nice work. I am always hesitant to jump into writing in a fantasy world simply because of the politics. :) Creating kings and queens, rules and regulations from scratch is a lot of work. Cahoot-os to you my friend.

I find the characters appealing as well.

The king in-particular is very nice. You fluctuate between making him sympathetic, calculating, passionate and mysterious. I would like to see a perhaps a bit more depth to Roinach though.

The only thing I didn't get was the kissing. It seems like a bit of a leap, then again I haven't read the previous chapters so you may have already been building the tension. :)

Nice work, keep it up.

DG





The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx