z

Young Writers Society



​Crustaceans

by OrionRising


Crustaceans

The grocery store is an aquarium.

As the bodies of red sea creatures

wallow in a pile, I wonder

how much of the salt water in that tank

is tears of the crustaceans.

Aphrodisiacs are not nearly as appealing

as the actions they insight.

-

Not even wearing goggles,

I am sure their eyes must burn,

just as they will later,

still submerged in water

over the flame of a barbeque grill.

-

Though it may be sunny upon the guests

and the blankets will be lay out,

its dark inside the pot.

Even knowing they couldn’t see,

I couldn’t eat the eyes.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:12 pm
Rook wrote a review...



Hello!

You know, there's always some sort of connotation with the word "crustaceans" that gives it a certain emotion just to hear that word. Maybe that's me. Anyway, I think the poem captured that feeling very well. It's similar to the feeling I get when I go into a grocery store, even if I don't walk by the meat/fish counter.
Anyway, that doesn't matter.

A few technical things:

as the actions they insight.

You probably mean "incite" here.
(incite (verb): encourage or stir up
insight:(noun): a deep understanding of a person or thing.)

and the blankets will be lay out,

Tenses! You probably mean laid rather than lay.

its dark inside the pot.

its is like when you say "the dog was licking its fur"
Here you're using it as "it is," so you have to put an apostrophe: it's.

Though it may be sunny upon the guests

This isn't a typo so much as word choice. If you're doing a really formal or old-style poem, then it's good to use "upon." But unless it's formal or old-style, I think you should just say "on." Also, the phrasing here is rather weird. I suggest shortening the line to "Though it's sunny,// it's dark inside the pot." Because is the blanket thing really necessary? I think it just clutters things up.

Other than that, I like the story and the sentiments of this poem. I like the details. Just make sure that you're not putting too much; make sure it all flows; make sure your grammar etc. is correct; and after all that is done, I think you'll be good. :)

Great job, keep writing!




User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:56 am
Dracula wrote a review...



Fish are friends, not food!

I instantly like this poem because it's completely relatable. I find myself unable to eat fish because of the way they are presented, hardly anything is done to their bodies. Basically people just plop them on a plate and eat, which I think is disgusting. It's ironic though, because I can eat meat just fine.

As the bodies of red sea creatures
I think 'blue' would be a better colour than red. It's your poem, of course, I just think they look more blue than red.

and the blankets will be lay out,
Laid out? I'm not even sure about this, but I think 'laid' is correct.

It's clever how every part of the poem mentions their eyes, with the first stanza mentioning their tears, the second goggles, and the third where you say you can't eat their eyes.

That's all I have to say. It's a good, meaningful poem. Please keep writing! :D




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 am
Willard says...



What's the difference between a place where buses go and a lobster with breast implants?
One's a crusty bus station, the other is a busty crustacean!




Random avatar

Points: 256
Reviews: 13

Donate
Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:10 am
cristoffergarcia wrote a review...



I liked that you used crustaceans as your characters for the story.I'm going to come up with
many theories trying to figure out how deep this writing can go.One line does bother me though.What does the line ,"the grocery store is an aquarium mean?" it is very confusing
next to the rest more poetically straight foward writing. And I think you mean,
"Though it may be sunny upon the guests

and the blankets will be laid out," or ,"will lay out" makes more sense.
I got a non serious question, You had to eat the eyes?!




OrionRising says...


To clear things up, this poem came as a memory of me, as a child, always wanting to go see the live Lobsters which were kept in a small tank in the grocery store. To me, the grocery store was an aquarium because I got to see live sea creatures. I thought maybe this would be a memory which others could relate to.




On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus