Goodbyes

by Noelle

I never knew how weak I was until I looked death in the eye. Not through my own, but through the gaze of a lost soul. Not even the depths of the sea can match the darkness surrounding. There aren’t enough strong words to describe it.

She used to be vibrant, she used to be happy, she used to be funny and simply social. The first time she saw me I didn’t know who she was. The second time proved the same. When I finally developed my wits I understood the smiling face looking down at me; and I smiled back. I noticed the light in her eyes as we’d chat of the sport that kept us going, the words we’d steal from a page to keep for eternity. The time would be short, but it was enough for the both of us.

Years and months came and went until there was nowhere left for her to go. The blaring vehicles devoured gas as they drove her from one place to the other, each claiming to be the one to help. All she needed was one hero. Too bad they were all fighting to see who was the best.

Now I can see her face as she lies on the hospital bed; tears cloud her vision and the phone shakes as she dials the next number. A list of faces she can't live without lays in front of her. And when I pick up the phone I speak quietly to her:

“If you’re leaving let’s speak in plain terms. Don’t think of the past or what could’ve come. Let’s catch the twinkling stars and ride into the sunset. Help me make you smile just a few more times. So that when you’re at the gates it won’t be with this shroud.

“If you’re leaving tell me about the present. Let me indulge in tales of better times, better lives, and the love you’ve received. I will ignore everything just to soak in your voice. Although I cannot give you a lasting hug, I want you to know I would. Take these words and wrap them around you, keeping you stronger than anyone could be.

“If you’re leaving don’t tell me you’re dying. The finality doesn’t calm my soul or crushed heart. Life doesn’t hand us good deeds, only maps to find them in the maze of terror. We’re stuck, lost in our problems, but you are near the end. Keep walking, keep walking, until the sun rises. There you’ll be surrounded by the peace you deserve.”

Goodbye loved one, goodbye. Although your breaths are strong and your body still fights, we’re not kidding each other anymore. My tears can only mix with yours at the news.

I’m sure your fears are much grander than mine, but know that I have them too. Though I do promise to stay strong, to hold on to the truth that I know. The best place for you is away from the cruelty.

Our eyes may not be able to see you anymore, but our souls will always remember.

IDontKnowWhoIAm says...

All I can say is holy... I'm so sorry for your loss. Your writing made me feel pain, but definitely not as much pain as you are going through.

Keep writing!! I look forward to future stories!!

Mon May 23, 2016 12:06 am
armisael wrote a review...

The ambiguity of this is truly astonishing. Anyone could find meaning in this, anyone who has ever lost someone dear to them. The raw emotion is simply wrought and expertly delivered in human-paced spots throughout this work. There is so much here--an entire life, it seems, of two people--in such a short story. This is remarkably well done, and your writing style brings out emotions I didn't even know I had. Keep writing! Your pacing and prose quality are outstanding.

TheSilverFox says...

I won't lie. I read this a few times, and I cried a few times. I know that I can't do much to console you right now, but I'd like to say that you did succeed. You got your message across, invoked some form of the pain that you're going through right now. And I'm sure she knows that you can't be there right now, and I'm sure she forgives you. I hope that she may find peace, wherever it is she will go to. And thanks for this beautiful and tragic story. ;-;

AkeliaTaske wrote a review...

Heyo! Akelia here! Time for a review.

So, first off I thought this short story was EXTREMLY well written and very well detailed! You maintained the same flow throughout the entire story, and that is defiantly very needed in a story like this.

Also, the feeling was very sad, and very lonely. I liked it due to it's emotion, and it feeling. Well done!

Now, for the nit-pics.

1. I didn't see how {"Years and months came and went until there was nowhere left for her to go. The blaring vehicles devoured gas as they drove her from one place to the other, each claiming to be the one to help."} I didn't really understand how the vehicle stage relates to the story. And then you suddenly change to another scene. It was kind of hard for me to keep track of this. But that's it! I really enjoyed reading this story!

Never stop writing,

-Akelia Taske

It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity