z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

40 Meters Ahead

by NathanRaux


Experiment with whitespace during the jam with Kayla:

She looked at me in the eye,

                                             straight on, directly,

She wasn't afraid to say,

                                        goodbye, I won't see you again

And I just regret

 Falling in love,

  With her, messing up my life

   With her, making it worse

    With her, doing nothing

     With her...

      I'm tired, I'm aching, I'm broken

       I feel like I'm not where I'm supposed to be,

Waking up at a saturday,

                                       Just a day after she said the words,

                                                                                               those letters I don't want to remember

My eyes feel swollen,

They're red, black, all the colors of

                                                       the broken me,

And I just regret

 Falling in love,

  I regret being with her,

   I wished I wasn't stupid,

    I wished I wasn't wrong,

     I wished I made the right decisions,

      And always came out strong,

       I was reckless,

        I moved without permission,

         I fell in love and broke my own heart,

          I fell in love and made her break my heart,

I just keep on thinking about it,

                                               Every move I made,

                                                                              Every step I take,

Was I really the one who's wrong?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
63 Reviews


Points: 723
Reviews: 63

Donate
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:10 pm
amelie wrote a review...



Hey there! Seeing as this work has already been bumped out of the green room and thoroughly seen through by a couple of other reviewers, I might not have heaps of help to offer you, but I figured I would try and give some advice in a short review.

The stanzas, or the lines, all seem to be all paper chained and folded on top of one another. In a poem, you're gonna want to see similarities poke through line-to-line, but its like every line is just a reflection of the previous one, nothing new pops up.
What I'm trying to point out is that if you found a way to bundle up all those loose, stringy, repetitive lines and tied them tighter together, the impact with the white space may show itself to be stronger. Making the poem less wordy and thick in this case might just give the benefit of the doubt.

As for the white space aspect, I'm seeing it as over-used. Every few lines it seems to be unnecessarily cut off, and there's such a shallow impact after that. It seems to me that the more you break off lines and shove some to the left, shove some to the right, it just gets scattered and less emotionally impactful. I want to be processing the poem, not just the white space. So the poem should be the focus, not just the white space. Hopefully that makes sense.
Please PM me with any questions, if anything was unclear etc,. Thanks!




User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:35 pm
Hijinks says...



I really like the white space!
I generally liked it all except for the fact that
I wished I wasn't wrong,
    I wished I made the right decisions,
      And always came out strong,
has rhyming, and nothing else does. Is this on purpose? Or not?
Keep on writing! I love this poem!




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:42 am
Rydia wrote a review...



Hey, thought I'd take a look at this!

Specifics

1. I like the use of the white space in those first four lines - it almost gives the impression of there being these two people and the straight on, directly being in the middle but also off centered to the line above it was both accurate and yet ironic so I liked that. I kind of want goodbye to be on the line above though, like that's his dialogue and then the rest of the line is a direct quote from her.

I'm not sure about 'She looked at me in the eye' in terms of language though. I don't like the 'at' and it's not interesting enough. Maybe you could have something like 'She rooted my eye with hers' or it might even just be the at which is bothering me and it would sound better as 'She looked me in the eye'.

2. I like the repetition of 'with her' but I think the other parts of the lines don't tell us enough about who these people are - they're very general. How did you make it worse? How did you mess up your life? A few examples of lines which would tell us more about the characters:

with her, breaking into the wrong flat
with her, driving sixty miles south on the north road
with her

3. The second time you use the white space it's not quite as effective - there doesn't feel like there's a purpose with it. The first line works because it's a call back to her words earlier but the next couple feel arbitrary.

4.

I wished I wasn't stupid,

I wished I wasn't wrong,

I wished I made the right decisions,

And always came out strong,


These lines feel a bit chain letter-ish. It's not always a bad thing but because the rest of this poem doesn't have direct lines and is more substantial, it feels out of place.

5. I'm not sure you ask the right question at the end - shouldn't it by less a question of whether the speaker was wrong and more a question of whether the relationship was wrong?It feels like an accusation in its current form - like it's suggesting that maybe she was wrong instead but the rest of the poem gives no evidence to back that up. Mostly because it doesn't tell us enough about the relationship between these two and what actually was the reason they broke up.

Overall

I really like your title, I don't think I said that before, and I'd like to see it get more use in the poem. There's not a lot of road or travel imagery at the moment and I think you could play on that a bit more to make the title relate to the content even more.

I think the white space is a fun experiment and with a little more intention/ thought behind it that could work really well. I think you need to decide a bit more on what you're trying to achieve with the white space - whether you're showing an emptiness ow shes gone or giving the impression of another side to this story.

That's about all the things I can think of and I think you've got a good start here but at the moment it's a little more generic and doesn't let us get inside the heads of the characters. So maybe work on bringing out the story more.

Best of luck with this!

~Heather




User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:38 am
sheysse wrote a review...



Hey there! Shey here for a review!

I see this was an experiment with white space, from the jam last night. I'm by no means on expert on white space, so I really can't tell you exactly what to do with it, but I can give you my perspective, which is am extremely important perspective, because I'm your reader. So, let's jump into this.

The poem starts off with four lines. The first is aligned to the left, which is good. Poems really should start on the left, assuming the bulk of the poem is going to be on the left. Then the next line is aligned to the right. The third returns to the left, and then the fourth is on the right. To me, this alternation made it seem choppy, and to be entirely honest, I didn't like it. It didn't, to me, flow nicely.

Next you had a series of lines which progressively had incrementally larger indents, and I loved this. It looks really cool, and gives a nice effect without coming across as choppy or really even affecting the read of the poem.

Moving right along, you have seven lines that go left, right, left, space, left, left, left, right. Some of these worked well and didn't come across as too choppy, but there's one line in here I want to talk about.

Just a day after she said the
words,

When I read this, it makes me naturally pause between the first part, and the 'words'. I understand the emphasis on the 'words', however, so my suggestion is to bring down the word 'the' as well.

Lastly, I love everything. The incremental indents, followed by the even larger incremental indents, and then question at the end. I loved it.

Actually, I loved this whole poem. I really hope I didn't come across as harsh or extremely picky, as I was just trying to give a readers perspective. Honestly, I seriously enjoyed this poem. Keep writing, cause I look forward to seeing more from you!

~Shey~





You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus