No Bravery Without Fear

by Messenger

Thirteen-year-old Kerina rammed the tent stake into the sand and grabbed her nearby hammer. She hammered the stake, grunting with effort as the foot-long stake pierced the sifting earth until just the square head of the stake was visible. Kerina stood back to eye her work. The tent was a two-person affair, just a few feet wide and tall, made of light cloth, beige-colored to reflect the desert sun’s heat.

The crunch of footsteps behind her caused her to turn.

“Papay, I staked the tent. Let’s hurry inside!” She glimpsed at the horizon behind her papay. Where moments before it had been a clear oasis blue, it was now a muddy swirl of sand.

Her papay, a rotund and tall man, led their dark steed behind him, one hand tight on the lead rope as the horse stomped its feet and shook its head.

“Reloo is going to be okay?”

Her papay nodded as he led Reloo to the backside of the tent and forced him down to a laying position.

“It’s not his first sandstorm. He’s always a bit anxious at first, but he knows what to do.”

Papay tied his scarf around his face, covering his nose and nodding towards the tent. “Let’s get inside and wait for it to blow over.”

Kerina brushed her dark hair back and tied it off with a strap from her wrist, then also covered her face with the faded pink scarf she always wore.

The papay and daughter duo entered the tent. It was not tall enough to comfortably stand, so they hunched through the doorway and Papay tied the flap shut. They both dropped to a cross-legged position.

Papay smiled, and Kerina could just see the skin crease around his sandy-colored eyes. She hugged herself, listening as the breeze picked up, shaking the sides of the tent.

Papay produced a stick and a carving knife from his side satchel. Kerina leaned forward.

“What will you make today Papay?” she said, fidgeting with her sandal straps.

“I don’t know. What do you think?” Papay spoke in a low, gurgled tone. “Perhaps a whistle?”

Kerina’s eyes lit up. “For me?”

Papay gave a silent chuckle, visible only by the heave of his chest and narrowing of his eyes. “Of course, anything for you my lily. You can take my place in the village festivities."

Kerina’s gaze dropped. “Do you think you will ever…” her voice trailed off.

The wind yanked the tent flap hard and Kerina’s eyes shot back up. Papay paid the wind no mind though and shrugged.

“The physician did not know. Only time will tell. But let us not dwell on the unfortunate.” He rubbed his throat which pushed aside the scarf for a moment, revealing the scarred tissue from cheek to cheek.

“Does it hurt?”

Papay began to whittle away at the stick. “No longer. There are times where it tingles.”

“Tingles?” Kerina pursed her lips and squinted her eyes. “Like a tickle?”

Papay nodded. “Yes. Like a tickle. Just below the surface. Just out of reach.”

The first of the sand began to hit the tent walls, making a pattering sound, and the corners of the tent tugged with the wind. Kerina scooted closer to her papay’s side. The light became scarce as the storm enveloped the little cloth cubicle. Though midday it became as dark and night. Kerina was about to reach for her papay’s hand when she felt his already on her shoulder. She tucked under his large embrace, feeling his chest go in and out. Up close it was possible to hear his breathing, ragged like he could not quite inhale as much air as he needed, and when he breathed out there was a slight wheeze.

“Papay?”

“Yes?”

“Were you scared?” Kerina could feel her palms get sweatier as the storm intensified.

“When?”

“When th-the thing attacked you.”

There was silence for a moment. Kerina could hear her papay scratch his cheek. He often did this when contemplating something.

“Yes.”

Kerina’s heart sank. “But you’ve always taught us to be brave. To be strong.”

Papay let out a small laugh, barely a guttural sound now where before the attack it would boom with enough volume to fill the desert.

“Strength and bravery do not mean you fear nothing. Fear is the reaction to encountering something dangerous, something unknown. It is a good reaction. A healthy thing that makes you focus, makes you concentrate. It is when the fear comes that you truly decide to be brave and strong. To be brave is to face the fearful.”

“So, when the dorram attacked, you were scared and brave?” Kerina bit her lip.

“You could say that. I did not feel brave though.”

“What did you feel?”

“I felt shaky. My hands were sweaty, and my voice faltered.”

“But you didn’t let the dorram take you under the sand!” Kerina sat up. “How is that possible?”

“It’s as I said. While I felt fear, it was my actions that saved me. And that is how you can be both scared and brave. Fear may be what you feel, but it is the bravery that is what you do with it. It is not wrong to feel afraid, it is only natural. But to be brave in the face of fear is something truly special. “

Kerina nodded slowly. “I think I understand. Do you get scared being here in the Okainuwa desert again?”

“I do,” Papay answered quietly.

“But we still came out here to mine those crystals.”

“And that is our bravery and strength.”

The wind tugged at the corner of the tent and began to lift it, letting in a sliver of light. Kerina tapped Papay’s arm.

“Look, look, the tent Papay.”

Her papay rolled to his knees, tucking the knife and stick in his satchel. He grabbed the edge of the tent lining and tugged it back down to the ground. Kerina could see the stake had been pulled out several inches. Papay shook his head, an action barely visible in the dim light, but Kerina understood what needed to happen.

“Papay, the stake!” she yelled as the wind whipped underneath the fabric. It was picking up, making talking at a normal volume impossible.

Papay nodded, motioning for Kerina to come his way. He leaned closed to the side of her face.

“You must hold this side down. I will hammer the stake. Where is the hammer?”

Kerina froze. I-I-think I left it on the ground.” Her lip quivered. “I’m so sorry Papay.”

He shook his hand. “No time to apologize." He winked. "We must improvise!”

The tent yanked violently, pulling his arms back. Sand flew in with the ferocity of a lion, smacking Kerina in the face. She screeched and covered her face, wiping her eyes. Papay grabbed her hand and brought it to the tent lining.

“Hold this!”

Kerina grabbed on and was immediately fighting the full strength of the sandstorm. She put a shoulder onto the lining and sank to her side, using her full body weight to keep the wall to the ground as Papay unlatched the tent door.

“Close your eyes!” he bellowed in his rough and gravelly voice.

Kerina squeezed them shut. She felt the wind come gushing through for a moment, and a flurry of sand pelted her face, stinging like a dozen bees at once. She gritted her teeth and whimpered but remained on the tent lining. Then the latch was tied shut and the wind was resigned to pushing from the outside. She slowly opened her eyes. She could just see her papay’s dark figure outside the tent. A rustle on the backside of the tent caused her to turn. She could hear the Reloo whinnying, and could just barely make out his dark shape. Then she saw it. Near the back corner rose another shape. It was low to the ground, a distorted shadow of spikes. Reloo let out a shriek and bolted.

“Papay!” Kerina yelled, her chest tightening and her breathing turning into rapid bursts. The dark shape along the ground outside moved back and forth for what seemed like an eternity, then sank back into the ground.

Kerina nearly vomited. She tried to scream but a whimper is all that came out. The tent flap yanked open an Papay crawled in, hammer in hand.

“I ham-“He stopped mid-shout, seeing Kerina’s white face. “Kerina, what’s wrong?”

Kerina pointed and shaky arm toward where the shadow had disappeared. “Sha-aa-a-“ She let out a sob. “Spiky!” she got out.

Papay’s eyes widened. “Along the desert floor?” He yelled, without his usual calm low-tone. This time it was hoarse, quaky, desperate.

Kerina nodded, latching on to his left arm.

The wind began to die down and the tent shook less violently. Papay grabbed Kerina’s face with both hands. “Look at me.” Kerina’s eyes flitted back to where the shadow had been.

“Look at me!” Papay yelled again. Kerina’s eyes snapped to meet his gaze.

“It is a dorram. They hunt as the storms subside. We must get Reloo and leave.” He softened his tone. “Are you afraid?”

Kerina nodded, still gripping his wrist.

“Then it is time to also be strong and brave.” Papay nodded. “We will be brave together. These monsters will no longer prey on our family. We must leave now!”

Papay pushed open the tent flap and held one hand up to block the sand that still swirled. The sky would clear soon, but for now, everything was a hazy brown swirl. It was difficult to see more than twenty feet. Papay looked at the ground, holding Kerina’s left hand with his right. In the other that blocked the sand he gripped the hammer.

“Watch the ground. The dorram will sneak up like a crocodile. They will lurk below the surface and jump when you least expect it. I need you to be my guide while I look for Reloo. Can you be my guide Kerina?”

Kerina shook her head, somewhat in a daze. Everything was moving, swirling, making noises. She could feel tears running down her cheeks. She tried to clear her throat and wiped the snot running from her nose. “I will be brave Papay. Just like you.”

Papay smiled and hugged her tight to his side. “That is all we can be my sweet desert lily.” He gripped her palm. Are you ready?”

Kerina inhaled deeply and stood straight.

“Yes, Papay.”

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:50 pm
Shady wrote a review...

Heya Mess,

I'm back again for this one as well. Same deal as before, I'm going to give this a read-through as if it was brand new so that I have a fresh perspective and give you my feedback as I go.

“Reloo is going to be okay?”

I recommend adding either dialogue tags or actions to make it clear who is talking. I assume it's Kerina, then Papay, and then Papay again? If so, I'd recommend reformating it so that the first thing Papay says is in the same paragraph as the action and second dialogue tag. Like...

"It's not..." Papay tied his scarf... towards the tent. "Let's get inside..."

If that makes sense? Just to make it a bit clearer who is saying what.

~

This is another excellent story! I really like the tension that this builds. You do a good job of working up the fear. I will say, Kerina seemed a bit juvenile in this. I see that you made her 13 and some of the time she feels like that's true but at other points, she seems more juvenile. I would have guessed she was closer to 9 or 10 honestly with the questions she's asking him and the way she's behaving in general.

I also would like to see a tiny bit more than just a shadow for the dorram. You do a great job of building up the fear, so I almost feel a little cheated, if that makes sense? Like, it's this Big Scary Thing -- and shows up -- but then there's no payoff of real danger or even getting a proper description of what it looks like.

The whole story I was sitting there going "Ohhhh.... oh noooooooo..... MESS DON'T KILL PAPAY" -- and then it didn't really come close? I was kind of expecting an attack or possibly worse. And I like that you didn't kill him off honestly lol I was a little concerned about that and I'm glad that you didn't. But it seemed a bit anticlimatic that papay didn't even see the monster much less go toe-to-toe with it, you know?

Overall, though, I think you did a great job revising this!

Hope this helped!

~Shady

Messenger says...

Thx for the reviews! I will go back and work some more. If you really are interested I could look into maybe working a fight scene on the end of this. These are kind of just writing exercises for me, hence why there is *hopefully* a distinction between this and the Brothers story in pacing and feel. I actually intentionally left out a fight and kept the Dorrance obscure because I wanted to work on building.mythos and fear, and mixing in dialogue/moral thoughts instead of focusing on action which I've written plenty of. I also do have a short story that's kind of long that I'm going to be posting in a week or so when I finish it that hopefully has a bit of everything.

Shady says...

Ahhh I totally forgot that this was a side project when I was reviewing. In that case, ignore all that lol I was commenting as if it was a stand-alone short story. Feel free to tag me when you post the short story! ^^ (Also pro tip if you split it up into smaller segments you're more likely to get reviews from casual readers)

Messenger says...

Yeah I'm writing it in actual parts like even in my word doc. Been that person who goes to review a short story on here only to see it scrolls pasts my lap %uD83D%uDE02%uD83D%uDE02 I'm looking at 3-6 parts but you know me. I don't write long chapters so we'll see.

Messenger says...

At least it sounds like I hit the vibe I was going for with these projects yes?

Shady says...

Yeah, I think so! They're good stories

Messenger says...

:) I see you still grinding! :D

Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:41 am
LittleLee wrote a review...

Greetings, Messenger!

Like the last short story, this one did not disappoint in any way! I absolutely loved the descriptions of the desert and was comfortable with the pacing. The character developing slightly from the beginning to the end was very smoothly done.

Thirteen-year-old Kerina rammed the tent stake into the sand and grabbed her nearby hammer. She hammered the stake, grunting with effort as the foot-long stake pierced the sifting earth until just the square head of the stake was visible.

You've used the word "stake" four times n the first two hammers. You can replace at least two with a simple "it." The repetition bothers me otherwise.

Some novel-worthy dialogue right here, mate. Loved it.

Papay unlatched the tent door.

Could you say tent 'flap?" Door works as well, but it feels a tad out of place.

“Yes, Papay.

Very cool ending!

Okay, so I really liked the worldbuilding you've shown in this piece, although you could have thrown in a couple of place names too. Like, where are they from? What settlement will they return to? What's the name of the desert they're in? All that.

I think dorrams were mentioned at some point in Williwaw, but this is the first I've seen one in your writing. It seems pretty scary; the part where she sees it just outside was written really well.

Overall, another great story! I hope to see more of these coming from you whenever you have the time.

Have a good day!

~ Lee

Shady wrote a review...

Mess!

Sorry this took me a while to get to this, but I'm here now!

She hammered the peg, grunting with effort as the foot-long stake pierced the sifting earth until just the tip of the head was visible.

This is... maybe just my brain being in the gutter... but this seems very, very suggestive. I would honestly assume you were doing it intentionally, but it's a 13-year-old so I'm going to hope that this was an accidental way of describing it, and just point it out and let you decide what to do with it.

and forced him down to all fours.

This reads a bit funny to me because he's a horse... so he's already on all fours xD Maybe phrase it as having him lay down or something instead?

Papay smiled, and Kerina could see just his sandy eyes and the wrinkled, worn skin crease.

This sentence read really odd to me. I think it's because you spread apart the skin creasing from the smile. So at first, I thought you were talking about his eyes creasing or something. I don't really have a suggested edit for this but I do think you might want to revisit this.

She tucked under his wing, feeling his chest go in and out.

Whoa, hol' up, wings? I feel like we need more descriptions before we get to this point so I have a better idea of what these people look like.

“Close your eyes!” he hollered in his rough and gravelly voice.

This honestly feels a little out of place? So far the language has been very grave and serious and stiff. "Hollered" feels more hillbilly than any of the other dialogue has suggested so far xD

and a flurry of sand pelted her face, stinging like a dozen bees at once.

I REALLY like this imagery <3

~ ~ ~

I like it! This is a tense story but has a nice arc, even with how short it is. I like how we have the present danger (sand storm) and a dialogue about fear and bravery, and then we have the potential danger (Reloo) and forcing the fear and bravery to come into play. I also like how absolutely terrified Kerina is and yet still forcing herself to focus.

I really enjoyed reading this ^-^ It has nice, likeable characters and a good plot. The only thing I think I'd like to see more of is, as I mentioned, more physical descriptors of the main characters. We got a lot about the setting but not much about what our characters look like, and I feel like that detracted a bit from the story because I was really hung up on papay having wings after that line I quoted.

Awesome job overall!

~Shady

Messenger says...

hey, better late than never right? Thanks so much for those pointers, this is why you are the best :) He does not have wings xD I meant like under his arm, yknow "wing" being figurative for shelter. Clearly that didn't work. As for the suggestive parts I can see how it reads that way. I think I got caught in phrasing it two different ways and ended up picking the two worst halves of each lol. I meant to say she hammered the nail into the sand until just the head of the nail was visible x.x

Messenger says...

and yeh she freaked out a lil bit

Messenger says...

Hey, I also just edited this as well. I re-worded the opening, gave a small descriptor of the papay, changed wing to "under his large embrace", the line about the horse on all fours, "hollered" to bellowed, and a few grammar issues.

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:02 pm
SpunkyMonkey wrote a review...

Hi! Spunky here to review!

Grows:

rammed the tent peg into the sand and grabbed her nearby hammer.

Wait...the tent peg was in the sand and then she grabbed a hammer?

The papay and daughter duo entered the tent...“What will you make today Papay?”

You go back and forth between the capitalized "Papay" and the lowercase "papay." Choose one, and then stay consistent through the entire story.

“No time to apologize. He winked. We must improvise!”

Unless he is saying, "He winked." it should be like this,

"No time to apologize." He winked, "We must improvise!"

“Sha-aa-a-“She let out a sob. “Spiky!” she got out.

There should be a space between parentheses and the "She"

Glows:

I kinda like this story. It's like a fable inside of a fable. The father tells a story (kinda) and then it happens to them. Nice concept, it just needs a bit of brushing up.

Bye!

Messenger says...

Hey

So i used papay in the way you would dad mom father etc. So when he is being called it's Papay but when talking him as in his familial position it's just papay. I'll check on the other grammar notes

SpunkyMonkey says...

Okay!

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:01 am
Georgie wrote a review...

Wowza! This was so interesting to read. I'm really invested despite the subjectively short length, and due to your excellent (though not obtrusive) exposition, I feel like I can follow what's going on in this world. I really only have one note:
I think you should add a few commas where people naturally pause in their speech. Example: "Anything for you my Lily" to "Anything for you, my Lily." Personally, I find it distracting when text doesn't match to the way people talk, unless it's an intentionally altered speech pattern. :-) That's about it! Really great story, creative and enticing, and the ending! *chef's kiss*
Good job!

Stupidity's the deliberate cultivation of ignorance.
— William Gaddis