z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Cowgirl in the East

by Master_Yoda


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 2080
Reviews: 19

Donate
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:00 pm
View Likes
SynonymousTom wrote a review...



Heya, Master_Yoda! I'm Tom, I'll be leaving you a review today.

I know the others have pointed this out, but I'm gonna start with the first line of the poem.

"I met a fucking cowgirl"

Now I don't think this ruins the tone of the poem by any means, but it certainly doesn't match it either. Most of the poem seems reflective and wishing things worked out with this cowgirl, so the "fucking" seems almost derogatory towards her and contradicts the meaning of the poem. I understand the "fucking" if you're using it in a way to represent a resentment or sourness about how things went. I also understand using it so the poem flows a bit better in terms of syllable usage. If that's the case, I would personally use a different two syllable adjective to throw in there that more so preserves the tone of the poem as a whole.

The rest of the poem I think for the most part flows very well and is very easy to read and not so much choppy.

I do however want to add on to what RubyRed said about the second paragraph. Perhaps taking out the "though" in the first line. While it's not bad in any way, it doesn't really have any necessary meaning, and it would move along much nicer without it.

My last critique is a small one about the fourth paragraph. Perhaps change "galloped" to "going" or "running." I completely understand the cowgirl theme and why you use it, since she's riding a horse, but it doesn't do it for me. Despite how well it fits the poem's theme, I don't think it fits that line or placement, if you get what I mean. I think "going" or "running" would both flow much more fluidly.

I hope some of these small nitpicks helped. Most of them have to do with how the poem is read and it's flow; that's my main focus with poems. I enjoy their flow and how they read, so if I seem a bit focused in that area then don't be afraid to shrug some of it off.

As I said, I hope some of this came as use. Let me know if there's anything different you'd like out of a future review!

-Tom




Master_Yoda says...


Hey Tom, thank you for the very detailed and thoughtful review. I suppose the term "fucking" is meant to establish frustration at just how she frustrated the narrator (read me), by meaning so much and yet remaining out of reach. The mixed feelings are really what is meant to setup the tension here. Does that make sense? Thanks for explaining your thoughts and for taking the time to write out such a thorough review!



User avatar
284 Reviews


Points: 4250
Reviews: 284

Donate
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:56 pm
View Likes
RubyRed wrote a review...



Hello, Master_Yoda!

I've seen you on this site time and time again, however, I haven't even seen a work of yours in the Green Room till now. Excited to read this! ^^

So first line,

I met a fucking cowgirl
her hair a fiery mane
she came from rolling meadows
a broad and distant plains
and i wanted to return with her
and ride together into the Western sunset.


I don't see the need for the word "fucking" as it really has no necessity or meaning to the poem. In my opinion it even goes against the mood of everything else you wrote here. Also in the fourth stanza you say put "a" first which means "plains" should be singular... or you could remove the "a". And why not capitalize the "i"?

Acknowledging the corn, though,
my heart lies in the East
where meadows are scarce
where plains are narrow
where horses cannot ride quite so far
as the illusion of freedom requires
and her home is in the Wild West


The syllable count is a bit off in some areas, but what I'd pick to change over everything here is removing the "though". It flows better without it, and it's also not necessary.

And i could not
In good conscience
leave my heart in the East.
nor could i resist the lure of her lasso
so i asked her to join me
in the East
where horses cannot ride quite so far
as the illusion of freedom requires.


Again, I don't understand why you wouldn't capitalize the i's in this poem that stand alone. I realize it's the author's choice, but even stylistically I don't think it helps the poem. Also I like that the second last stanza here is a repeat from the last grouping.

So overall I love the poem because I can relate to being an Eastern girl, but also admiring the Westerners. And I like the way you portrayed the cowgirl as being free-spirited because it's very true that they possess that mentality. The poem itself is almost relaxing, but at the same time a spark of reality and I love it! Good luck with your future writing!

Image




Master_Yoda says...


Thanks Ruby :) The word "fucking" was meant to establish a deep frustration, and the rest of the poem is meant to slip into a tone of resignation. This is a poem about heartbreak and it is precisely the spirit of the "cowgirl" that makes it so frustrating that she "galloped off into the setting sun". The uncapitalized I's are meant to convey an inadequacy of self. I agree with your estimations on the singular plural of plains, and of your dislike of the word though. Thanks for the great review :)



RubyRed says...


Oh okay then keep "fucking" I like it XD Also clever ideas with the i's

And no problem on the review. I'm glad to know it helped :)



User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 2075
Reviews: 35

Donate
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:23 pm
View Likes
RishabhParmar wrote a review...



HI,

I don't know what do you mean by "fucking cowgirl"? This F word depicts bad stuff. Make it clear about the usage of words. If you use dirty slangs in your work inappropriately then it may lead to confusion. The idea of the poem is good. I can't think it as a good lyric. Words and lines gave me nothing. I didn't feel while reading this piece. As i said, idea is good, but implementation is very bad. So right from the stating I felt bad numerous things:

"why you called a girl...."fucking cowgirl"?"

"what kind of feeling you depicted in this?"

"Is it romantic? But in a wrong fashion. I am afraid."




I hope to see some good work. Keep it down and good work up. :(




Master_Yoda says...


thanks for your review, Reishabh. I am sorry if you found that the poem was unnecessarily dirty because of the F-bomb :(




If you have to ask, "Is this cliche?", it probably is.
— - no name -