z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

cigarettes after sex

by elysian, BaileyTheHoosier


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

I pushed her on the bed, looking into her eyes which were slightly glassy as she fumbled with the buttons on her shirt. I drained the rest of the liquid in my plastic cup, threw it to the ground and climbed on top of her, keeping her mouth busy as I traced her curves with my fingertips. She finally gave up on fully unbuttoning her shirt and pulled it over her head instead, throwing it to the side of the room. My lips left hers and trailed down from her jawline to her shoulder. And with each piece of clothing we took off, each memory of the pain seemed to have slipped away. I felt power as I controlled her emotions, making her feel pleasure when I wanted, causing her pain when I felt like it. The control was like a drug to me, and I continued to hold her down, roughly kissing her. My hands gripped her wrists, almost like a rope tying her to the bed. I could see the discoloration of her skin, as my grip tightened and I continued to kiss down her neck, eventually stopping at her collarbone. I reversed my way back up her chest and bit fairly hard on her neck, simultaneously a moan released from her mouth. My hand quickly released from her wrist and covered her mouth, shutting her up before she could get too loud.

Her breathing was delicate next to me as I stared at the ceiling. I didn’t know her name, and I also didn’t want to know. I moved her hand off my chest, noticing her purple and blue wrists. I didn’t realize how hard I had gripped her. I slowly sat up, swinging my legs over her bed and running my hands through my hair, feeling the tingling of tears coming. I shook my head, my drunkenness fading and the feeling of a hangover looming over me. I walked over to my jeans, grabbing my pack of cigarettes out of the worn back pocket. I looked over at the girl, and agony came over me as I realized I had taken advantage of her, I knew she was drunk. I lit the cigarette, tears slipping from my eyes. I continued to take deep breaths, letting the nicotine settle in my lungs, making me dizzy. With each draw of smoke I felt lighter and lighter. After I felt buzzed enough to continue on, I threw it out the window from the second floor onto the pavement, and quickly got dressed. I took one more look at the girl I had only known for the night, and walked out the building.

{excerpt from a novel I'll never write #8}


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 603
Reviews: 99

Donate
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:47 am
View Likes
Remington38 wrote a review...



Hello Remington38 here :) pleasure to meet you.

Wow. That is all I have to say. I honestly wish this wasn't just an exerpt from a book you will never write, because I would read it. I feel the emotions bubbling in me right along with the protagonist, I eve got a little misty. This was absolutely amazingly written and very descriptive. You are a very talented writer, and I hope for read more by you.




elysian says...


thank you!



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:27 am
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

A little thing that confused me is that you said that this was an excerpt from a novel you'd never write at the bottom of the page though you classified it as poetry?

This follows me up to my next point is that I think this would fit well as prose poetry, but the thing is, this is two very large paragraphs. Break the paragraphs up so they feel more like individual thoughts and gather your thoughts in that way. It would be beneficial for you since it would give you trees to plant in a large forest, and you need to pay attention to those trees and also not lump them all together. Those trees are your thoughts.

If you're only going to give us a snapshot of what's going on with the narrator's life and everything of that sort, make it vivid. Use all five senses to create the atmosphere of the poem. Tell us everything so the reader can actually experience it. I liked the second half of the poem better as it gave more insight and emotion into what the narrator was feeling and the first part just feels more raw. I think that these two parts, having a part one and part two, could still work with this poem. I suggest making a transitioning stanza that's smaller and is a stepping stone in-between the two.

The imagery of the nicotine is what I like most. I like the alone feelings and overtones of this poem because they're subtle and they don't pop out just right in front of you, but I want them to build. Build into a stronger image. Tell us the smell of the cigarette and tell us the taste of the cigarette and tell us the sound of the cigarette when the narrator crushes it under their heel.

I hope I helped and have a great day!




elysian says...


thank you! I may take to editing this and making it more vivid :-)

I label this under poetry because of the metaphoric vibe my series gives off. It's not quite a short story, but I do understand it's not quite poetry. I might compile these into one big book one day and send it off to a publisher :p



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:32 pm
Virgil says...



I'm 99% sure there's a band by this title name, anyway, I liked the excerpt you had, mostly just needed to make that comment.




elysian says...


yes, there is and that's how I thought of the title, and then I built my poem around inspiration of that title.



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1067
Reviews: 83

Donate
Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:29 pm
Dutiful says...



is it bad that I thought this would be about two cigarettes after sex (ya totally makes sense)

I love this.




elysian says...


haha thank you <3




My one true aspiration in life is to make it into the quote gen.
— avianwings47