The Fence-sitter

by Liminality

the fence-sitter

was wild and young and

trees sprouted from the sand

when she walked past

&

was regurgitating

atavistic impressions of things

that never last

&

was worse than a knife

on skin, to the notion of life,

and that of the past

&

was hugging her well-groomed

resorts to herself: the neutral room

when i saw her last.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:49 pm
Jaybird wrote a review...

Hello, @Liminality! I saw this lurking in the Green Room, so I thought I'd help you out by getting it out of there.

My first thought on your poem is that it's a very unique one. I knew from the description that it was a character portrait, but I wasn't sure what to expect until I got into the second stanza. I will admit I was a little confused on what the "was" in the second stanza was referring to until I got to the third stanza. It might be a good idea to add some kind of formatting difference between "the fence sitter" and the following line - it would give the impression that all of the following stanzas are related to the fence-sitter, rather than the stanza before them. You could even add an ellipses after the first line and put another set before the "was" of each stanza.

Formatting aside, I really loved your poem! It gives the fence-sitter come off as someone in tune with nature in the first stanza, and in the second one as well. I even had to look up a new word (atavistic) which is something I almost never had to do while reading. Between the descriptions you used, the word choice, and the formulaic format you used, I really enjoyed this poem.

If it hasn't already ended up in the literary spotlight, I hope it does soon!

promptlyby12 says...

Hi! I was going to write a review but I don't fully understand the meaning of the poem and how each stanza contributes to it. I have questions like "who is the fence-sitter?", and "what is the significance of each stanza to her identity?". I also don't understand the last stanza. I don't review poems until I think I have a good understanding of what they mean, because I believe that the structure of a poem resonates with what it means. Nevertheless, I loved the rhythm and was very intrigued by the poem. If you don't mind, could you please explain to me what the poem truly means and why you chose each stanza to be what it is?

Liminality says...

Hello! Sorry for the late reply. In this poem, I was trying to convey the dangers of 'staying in the middle' during a conflict for too long - hence the references to 'age' and 'time'. Hopefully that answers your question. Thanks for commenting!

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:30 am
Rascalover wrote a review...

Hey!
Happy to be here to review! Hope I don't offend, and remember everything I say is just an opinion, this is your master piece, and if you like it the way it is feel free to leave it!

This is a small and unique piece! Personally I could do without the second stanza. I don't think it adds anything to the meaning of your poem, and quite frankly it confused me. I love the & between the stanzas.

there's not much else I can say about this piece. I like the imagery it put in my head, about someone wild and free.

Thanks for the read, and if you need anything else, feel free to ask!
Rascalover <3

Liminality says...

Thanks for the review! I appreciate your feedback about the second stanza. Ironically enough, that was the first stanza I came up with, but I guess this is one of those poems where the final piece just runs away from whatever the original idea was.
Thanks again!

Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson