z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Message from the Skies

by Laelle


The Heaven's reveal the glory of God; 

Skies proclaim the work of His hands.

Day and Day uttering His speech;

Night and night showing His knowledge.

No speech nor language can keep His words away.

For His testimonies show wisdom.

His death exemplifies undying love.

His law is perfect, converting a soul.

His statutes are right, rejoicing the heart.

The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever.

Now I show you...

I've kept these things close. 

They are my treasure from the Lord.

I cleaned myself of sin.

I let the Lord's light reside in me

For He is a perfect God, extravagant in every way

And He loves me.

More than anything else, He wants me.

I know to look into the skies.

I know His message for me rests there.

It's waiting to be opened...

He's waiting for me to open it.

But this message is not just for me. 

It's the same for everyone.

For His message to you lives in the skies

Just waiting to be opened.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 743
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:59 am
Aravind wrote a review...



Hey Laelle!


This piece of writing contains devotional and a sort of spiritual subject (related to each other). Nevertheless, I see the significance of the title, as it is subjective to the supreme lord.

Content wise, it's clear how you express the lord's shrine located up in the heavens, to us known as the skies. This is a simple yet clear subject of discussion. You have captured the interests of not only the religious, but also the others who seek interest in learning about the love of the lord.

Grammar and Spelling, is in good shape. I spotted how you've added emphasis on "His" to dignify the lord. This adds on to the topic of significance of content. This is a wonderful start.

Structure wise, it's recommended that you organize the content into stanzas. That way you don't intimidate your readers into finding something huge. Each stanza could discuss a different aspect of the lord, for example. Otherwise, no serious issues.

Content is very coherent, as you are simply describing the lord's glory and his shrine in the skies. If it were sort of like a narrative, attention had to be given to writing consistency too.

Literary devices are widely used here. I am able to find metaphors, adjectives, and personification.


My personal rating for this work is 4.1/5


I shall add a "like" since your work gets 80%+ from me :)




Laelle says...


Thanks for your input. I will definitely try using stanzas during my next piece. Again, thanks!



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 152
Reviews: 67

Donate
Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:19 pm
Charlotte2 wrote a review...



Hello!

I saw the title of this poem, and was interested to see what it was about, as you have chosen a great name for it. I like how this poem is so clear about its message, and it is always nice to hear about how people think about God. My perspective on God is quite unique, and I don't really know anyone who thinks the same, but considering I am always surrounded by people who criticize my beliefs, it is refreshing to hear about someone who has similar opinions. Because God is such a complex subject, I am always open to hearing people discuss it, as it tells me something new and improves my thoughts.

Now, onto the poem. For some reason, I feel like it's written in a way that's almost too intense. I feel like when it gets to the line "Now I show you" it feels like it's trying to get people to think a certain way, and it's hard to explain, but I think if you had continued with lines like "The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever" it would have been a little easier to read. Of course, this is just a suggestion, and it's up to you how you write your poem. At the end of the day, your opinion on your own poem is the most important.

Very good work! I loved the thought, and depth and meaning of this poem, and it is a personal thing to talk about, so well done! I look forward to reading more from you!




Laelle says...


Thanks for your review. I'm stillc editing the last bit. Trying to make it less forceful is a bit hard. But I'll definitely work on it. Thanks again for the review.



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:39 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey Laelle!

I found this in the Green Room so here's a review from me to you!

I think you made your point exceptionally clear in this piece. You weren't cutting around the bushes, or hiding it behind anything obscure, and I really like that about your poem. Sometimes when people get into using poetic devices too much they can muddy the waters and it can become unclear what the poet is trying to express. Here, you don't have that. You have a very clear expression of your idea, which is to let god into your heart.

That being said, I think the poem itself could use some improvement. I feel like you sort of rushed into a bunch of imperative lines at the end, and personally, I don't like people telling me what to do in a poem any more than I do a stranger coming up to me on the sidewalk. I think of a poem as two people meeting at random and one of them conveying a message that they want to stick in the other person's head. At the end of this poem you're basically saying that this is a list of to-dos for them to complete after the conversation's done. and in general, that's not a good practice for poetry. Mostly, because if your first part isn't strong enough, where you're convincing them of your train of thought, then you're really going to outcast them in the second part. I like to call it the "You're Not My Mother" test, but basically if you read a line and you can say "You're not my mother!" in that stereotypical tone of "You're not the boss of me" which is another way it's said, then you've got an imperative sentence where someone's going to stop reading.

So what this means is the whole section after "Now I tell you..." doesn't work for me. It's not a style of poetry I like because it's too bossy, or preachy, however, it's called preachy because it's what preachers do, and this is a religious poem, so I understand if you want to leave it just as it is. I do think that if you went more for a tone of "I" rather than "you" and talk about what you do with your faith, you could quickly and effectively get away from the imperative sentences and improve the poem by sharing instead of declaring.

For instance, you could say

Now I tell you...
I keep these things close.
They are the treasure of the Lord.
I clean myself of sin.
I let the lord's light reside in me
For He is a perfect God, extravagant in every way
and He loves ME
More than anything else, He wants me
I just look into the skies
His message for me rests there
It's waiting to be opened and
He's waiting for me to open it.


which totally changes the whole tone of the last part of the poem. It might sound a little selfish at parts, but that's what editing does, you can fix that. It becomes more personal and because it's personal to you, as the writer, it's no longer saying "you, the reader, need to listen to what I'm telling you to do and go do it when I'm done telling you to do it." it's saying "This is my experience and how I live my life" which is more of a message of "you can join me if you want," because you can choose to do the same things the author is saying, or not. It becomes a personal choice rather than something commanded.

That being said, please, please, please, keep up with the clarity. I knew exactly what this poem was saying and I enjoyed that about this poem. I just didn't quite think the method of delivery was the best for the message you want to give. Sort of like the difference between a text and a face to face conversation, or a phone call. I hope to see more from you in the future!

Aley




Laelle says...


I just loved your review. I had noticed that, but really didn't think too much into it. Thankyou for showing me what kind of impression it gave. I'm so happy! You made my day. %uD83D%uDE01



Aley says...


Thank you, I'm glad you appreciated my review. ^^



Laelle says...


You're welcome!




There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.
— J.K. Rowling