Home » Literary works » Poetry » Politics

Voices: A Political Epic In A Few Words

by Jared

Author's Note

Hello there. It's been a while since I've shared anything I've written here, and I decided today I would take some time to reflect on a topic I feel is important, than write a poem about it. I wrote what I felt, without necessarily focusing on intentional meaning. I think the symbolism should be pretty clear. This poem is about the falling of government bodies (whether they be dictatorships), and is particularly integral to the falling of monarchies in Europe. 

That's about all I have to say.

Voices

The dredges of humanity

Sat atop the cliffs of sanity

Finally peering on the docks of clarity

Seeing nothing but feeling much

Hearing lost, but they gained ground

They were fighting for something

A purpose, a dream

To the surprise of the those who never dream

Sometimes in waking hours suppress their rage

In an effort to escape their caged existence

They found themselves blocked by walls

Conditions, terms and obstacles

Political tripe sauced with lies

The hidden voices of a generation

Sustained in a single note

A note that softly creeps through the air

The king wondered, the queen dreamed,

The emperor weeps, and the dictator is startled

The wall is broken, who can quench the flow?

The trembles of the earth do not match

The volcanoes erupt, but fail to meet the standard

It's often wondered if voices matter

And it is often surmised that walls can fall and die

Monarchies can thrive and then struggle to survive

Wars can end and begin, and bridges can burn

All because of the tremor of a thousand voices

Teacake013 wrote a review...

Hi it's me teacake013 here to review your poem.
I thoroughly enjoy your work it was unique and truthful:)!

I'm not here to judge your work badly just encourage and help improve, so I'll tell you
I know it takes a lot to publish you're works so I respect that completely.

In you're work pacifically I enjoyed how you chose a topic that you seem
To know and have a strong opinion on also including political and government
Input you put in but is still free and lose not just telling you. it is artist.
It was a topic that I truthfully never considered or thought about putting In a poem.
It was awesome to say the least.
P.s. Also loved how you put a little paragraph before to show what this poem stands for for you.

Hope you keep on improving and writing you're heart out!.!

Love, Teacake013

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:19 pm
WindSailor wrote a review...

Hello, WindSailor here to review your poem. It is not very often you see a politically motivated poem, but I really enjoyed the way you presented it here. First off, the symbolism you used was absolutely a beautiful way to express some of the major problems found within governments. Also, the way you used symbolism to explain the citizens taking a stand was by far my favorite line.

The hidden voices of a generation. Sustained in a single note
This expressed the unity of the people, and the amount of people taking a stand in such a short and simple, but such a great way. It really resonates with the reader. Just one more piece of symbolism that I really loved was this line

Although, there is one thing I wasn't such a fan of, that is, the weird occasional rhyming throughout it. Usually, a poem would either have a rhyme scheme, or would just be free verse and not rhyme. But, it seems a bit of a mix, which is not entirely bad, just thought I would mention that it might look nicer if it stayed one way or the other.

Overall, the poem definitely shows the passion you have, and describes the situation at hand very well. The only suggestion I have is the one I made directly above. Other than that, I really enjoyed this poem, and think it is a great way to speak out. Great job! Keep writing!

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:24 pm
rainbowcabbit wrote a review...

Oh, I absolutely love this poem! I just love the deep metaphors you use, and how they are still understandable by regular people. I'm not too great at poetry, mind me, so I don't think there is much I can help with. However, I doubt there is much to be fixed anyway. At first, I thought it was going to be a sort of rant about modern conditions, but I was greatly surprised on the topic actually chose. I love how you chose this subject because subjects like these aren't typically represented in poetry. So pretty much this is a really great poem, and I hope you keep up the good work.

Jared says...

Thank you for your review! I've been waiting for a review on this for awhile.

I understand. Your welcome :D

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford