Home » Literary works » Other » Dramatic

His actions didn't cause too much hurt

by GigiNicole17

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

On November 26th, 2018 I got my second ever boyfriend. As of yesterday, we're no longer together. I was hoping that we'd last at least until my 15th birthday (which is February 19, btw, lol) but we didn't. He broke up with me through an Instagram post, which said “I’m officially breaking up with the best girlfriend possible.” That was hard...He didn't really have an explanation through the post, so I tried calling him. He texted me this. "Look, this is the hardest thing I've ever done. You're an amazing girl, just not the one for me. I must confess, I did it. I did it with another girl, and I'm so sorry. I can't do this, this as in us, knowing that I did. I feel the grief, and the shame, and I couldn't bear to see the hurt through your eyes. I know how much you hate apologies, and I can understand why you do. I’m the worst….and I’ve accepted that. But I couldn’t keep on going as if I didn’t so anything, especially now that….well…..I’m expecting a baby boy. G, I’m so sorry. You have every reason to be upset with me.” 

It’s a lot to take in, I think we can all agree on that. But I think it’s a lesson well learned. Sometimes the Universe has it’s ways of telling you what’s good and what not. I’m disappointed, hurt, and completely discontent with what happened, but I can’t stay mad forever. I’m not the type of person to hold grudges, I at least try not to. Even in the hurt I’m in. The pain I’m in, I’m trying not to hate. I know she doesn’t have money to raise that baby. I also know that her parents won’t do it either. I have a baby cousin turning 1 this April, and he has several things he can’t fit anymore. This is where I think I’m going crazy: I took all his clothes and shoes stuffed them in 2 trash bags and gave them to her at school today. When I handed the bags to her, she looks confused. “Go ahead, open them” I said with the friendliest forced smile. When she did, she looked at me with what I think was joy in her eyes. I couldn’t really tell through the tears. That’s when I knew I had done the right thing. “You can stop by my house tonight and pick up the rest of the stuff.” I was trying not to cry myself. “There’s more?” she questioned me as if I was lying to her. “Yeah. A swing, a crib, a high chair, a walker, a…...” I was cut off by her embrace. I of course hugged her back. Then he showed up. Awkward…... I tried not to let his presence ruin the mood. I failed. I couldn’t bear to look at him. I cried. Right then and there. Luckily my best friend was right behind me the whole time. I felt his loving arms wrap around me as I cried into his sweatshirt, which he gave me afterwards.

I learned that it’s okay for me to not be okay, but that shouldn’t change how I treat people. Even though he did the absolute worst thing possible, it’s not the baby’s fault. I know how hard this is for her and I’ve seen the hurt that girls that are pregnant and alone go through. Believe it or not, I’m glad he broke up with me to be with her. They have a life together, and a child. I wish them many great blessings and hope to one day have the opportunity to love on the little man, and mom and too.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 am

I have to say that this article or memoir piece felt a little more like a blog than a piece of prose. You might try posting in the blog section if you'd rather not get reviews on pieces like this. If you were going for a memoir style though I think the piece could use 1) Character Background and 2) Theme Cohesion.

For Character Development - I think you could give readers a bit more background on who the speaker is and what her relationship was like before the break-up and everything getting so rocky.

For Theme Cohesion - this piece actually told a really touching and compelling story, I mean the speaker (if it's you kudos!) is acting very considerate of this other girl's situation and in a moment when it would be understandable to be bitter and angry, try to act kindly - that's a wonderful story! The only issue is there are a lot of insignificant details at the beginning that kind of get in the way - the numbers and dates and all of that I think could be reduced a bit so that the readers can get into the characters and narrative - which were the most compelling part.

Besides that, I thought it was a nice reflection on what seems like a very difficult situation. When situations like this happen, writing can be a marvelous tool for processing - and can even lend wisdom and insight to others going through similar situations. Thanks for sharing! Good luck in the rest of your writing!

~alliyah

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm
potatoefry2001 wrote a review...

UMMMMMM WOW I think I'm in TEARS!!!!! Are you sure you're 14?!!!???!!?!?!? You have the ability to move people with your words. I have been through my fair share of breakups, and I am so sorry that it's happening to you. To be honest, the best thing that I did for myself was to stay single until I found the right guy. I waited a year, and found the love of my life. I have been with him for a year as of the 11th of this month. I am not telling you all of this to brag. I am telling you all of this to say that good things come to those who wait, and I believe in you. I know that you will find someone who cares about you, and when you do, all of those guys that hurt you will finally realize how worth it you really are. They will learn they have missed out on so much, and when they see that, and try to come crawling back to you, and you reject them, it makes it totally worth your while. I am sorry if I went into a rant/tangent, I'm sorry. No doubt, a habit I picked up from my mother. Happy Valentine's day!!! DON'T mope today!!! Do things for yourself and forget those who have hurt you. You don't need him to be happy. His opinion of you is NOT the one that matters.

GigiNicole17 says...

I know, it's a lot. But yes, I'm positive that I'm 14, I'll be 15 on Tuesday! I'm so happy that you've found the right one. I'm not moping today, I'm actually celebrating me for once in my life. I bought MYSELF flowers and candy. I'm also having a party with my family to celebrate them. I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. I also have a ranting habit, also from my mother...lol! Happy V-day to you too!!!!! Enjoy your day with your boyfriend, and happy 1 year!!!!! :D

Thank you SO Much!!! Have fun today, and PM me if you need me.

GigiNicole17 says...

no problem!!!! I will!! Thanks!

Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that.
— Ellen Degeneres