z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Are my Stars too Far Away?

by GigiNicole17


I am often told that my dreams/goals/ambitions are way too high. I get phrases like "That's nice sweetie." and "We all have dreams, but they don't always become reality. Keep on dreaming". Never once have I heard the phrase " I think you can do it" or "I'll be here if you need anything". Now, I'm not saying that I don't have supportive adults because trust me I do. I am saying that I'm not so sure if I can reach my goals, and they're starting to sound kinda farfetched. Tell me if this list sounds like a normal 14 year old's bucket list. 





Getting married by the age of 27

Going to a boarding school

Housing a foreign Exchange Student

Going to Borneo, an island in Indonesia

Publishing a book before the age of 25

Performing on Broadway

Creating a book with my mom

Becoming a photojournalist

Living in LA and New York

Working with Lin Minuel Miranda

Being on Sesame Street

Plan my funeral

Buy my dream car and house

Own about 5 businesses

Get past college

Swim with pink dolphins

Have a dream wedding

Be able to buy my parents a new house

Help solve a crime



I didn't think so. I know that I want to do great things, but are those great things just to great for anyone to achieve?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 6251
Reviews: 461

Donate
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:54 pm
Horisun says...



Quote,

"Who wills, can.
Who tries, does.
Who loves, will."

-Anne McCaffrey


I think you can make whatever you want, happen. Everything on your list is possible. You CAN make it happen if you try!




GigiNicole17 says...


Thank you so much! I will!!! :D



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 77
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:27 pm
GabiSmithMyers wrote a review...



Don't worry. My bucket list is exactly the same way. I'm 14 and I think that when you're our age, you just are trying to figure out what to do with the rest of your life, so you try to think all over the place. No matter what anyone says, if you can dream it and you work hard enough for it, you can most definitely do it. I don't know if your anything like me, but when I set my mind to something, nobody really ever gets in my way.

I know what you're talking about with adults in your life not believing you can do certain things. Everyone in my life is always pushing furthering my education and loving my job and making a bunch of money, and they keep suggesting the medical field, but I'm not even sure If I want to go to college. And if I did, I would go for writing, which nobody in my family, or most of my friends for that matter, think that I can publish a book.

I wish you luck wherever your bucket list may take you and I'm rooting for you!




GigiNicole17 says...


OMG! We are so much alike! My parents want me to go to Medical School, and I want to go for college for writing, and most of my friends that don't write say it's lame. Thanks for rooting for me!



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35799
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:56 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there Gigi! Niteowl here to...review/comment/ramble a bit? I'm not sure, we'll see. For context, I'm 28, so I'm old enough to have some perspective on how dreams change with time but young enough to still have dreams and go after them.

You ask if this list is normal for a 14 year old, and I'd say probably yes. It's a bit all over the place, but I think that's rather typical as a young person. I know I had no idea who I was or what I wanted at 14, so my "bucket list" would have been similarly all over the place.

One thing that stands out to me is that there's two types of goals/dreams on here: Ones that are more about pursuing a creative career (like becoming a photojournalist, performing on Broadway, publishing a book) and others that are more about financial stability and security (having a dream car/house/wedding, buying your parents a house, traveling, living in expensive places like LA and New York). The thing about creative careers is that, while they're not impossible, they're certainly risky, and many people pursuing these careers have to work other jobs while they chase their dreams. There's a good chance that if you go that route, it would be difficult to earn enough to have a fancy house and car and travel the world. The next few years are a big time of self-discovery that will help you figure out which is more important to you.

Another word of advice: ditch the age-based goals. I would not want to end up with the wrong person just because I said I wanted to get married at a certain age. Also, you might not have a publishable novel draft by 25, and that's perfectly okay. JK Rowling didn't become successful until she was in her 30's.

I'd also look into having shorter-term goals that can help you pursue these large ones. You're probably not going to perform on Broadway soon, but can you audition for the school play? Maybe you can write for the school newspaper or take photography classes to start building the skills to become a photojournalist. Maybe you can look into what knowledge and skills you have or can develop that could become a viable business idea. Explore what opportunities are available to you now and take as many as you can. You can also adopt habits like writing daily that will get you closer to having a publishable draft.

Keep in mind that things can and will change, and sometimes you will want to re-evaluate. Maybe you discover a new passion or interest you like more. Maybe you star in the school play and realize you hate acting and really don't want to do Broadway anymore. Maybe you visit LA or New York and decide you hate the city and would rather live in a small town. Maybe you find the perfect person to get married to, but decide you'd rather elope than have a big fancy wedding. People change paths all the time, and it's perfectly okay.

In conclusion, I think it's great to have big dreams, but I would also focus on shorter-term goals and be open to other ideas and paths. You still have a lot to learn and explore, but I hope you achieve at least some of these dreams. Keep writing and keep dreaming! :D




GigiNicole17 says...


I understand the risk when wanting to pursue a creative career. That is the very reason why i chose it. I use age limits as a deadline. That's because I don't get anything done if I don't have a deadline. I think that my shorter term goals have already been reached. I've starred in almost all the school plays, I've taken so many photography classes, and I'm in journalism and on the school newspaper board. I really appreciate your input, though. Thanks for all the advice...I'll use it!! :D



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 45

Donate
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:26 pm
View Likes
potatoefry2001 wrote a review...



Hey there, 'Tato here for a review... I have to agree with @FireSpyGirl, this is not a normal bucket list for a girl your age, but that's what makes it Amazing. I have so many dreams as well, and I know I will do them one day. I know you will do what you want in time. The good thing for you is that you are still pretty young and have plenty of time to do everything you hope to do. I know you will be happy!! And if you ever need a word of encouragement, some advice, or simply an ear to listen to you, PM me anytime, and I will be here for you. And I want to be one of the first to know when you swim with those pink dolphins. Keep me posted! I look forward to hearing your accomplishments!! Happy Valentine's day!! Have a great one!! "tato out.




GigiNicole17 says...


Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate you, and I will definitely pm you!!



User avatar
162 Reviews


Points: 1865
Reviews: 162

Donate
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:08 am
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...



Hi there!
I will be completely honest. This is not a normal bucket list for a 14 year old, but that is what makes it awesome! No matter what people say, you can make your own life, and make your dreams come true. I know it seems incredibly hard at times, and sometimes even impossible, but never give up on your dreams. You can do anything you set your mind to. If it is different from everyone else, so much the better!! If you ever need someone to talk to when you get down, PM me anytime!




GigiNicole17 says...


Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'll pm you definitely thank you so much!!!



FireSpyGirl says...


:)




I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25