I have a friend

by Emivanz1

I have a friend

who is always cheerful

who is sweet

who always smiles

I have a friend

who sometimes is tearful

who sometimes feels defeat

who sometimes compiles

her feelings in her chest

I have a friend 

who I try to help

but I always stutter

I don't know what to say

to make her feel better.

I have a friend 

who is judgmental about herself 

so she hurts her health

Her cuts are deeper than her body can bear

her muscle tissue is worn and torn.

I have a friend 

who sometimes needs help 

so I try to talk and laugh with her

so I try to be a good friend

to make her feel better

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:13 am
akanbright wrote a review...

Like the others, and relate this poem to be nice and accountable for as In the form It is written and that lyrical pattern isn't contradictory but rather is compelling. Little is to be given as a review to your work, but I think it doesn't really matter because as long as you have a friend who's the restless, yourself would have no peace and so the peace of one's friend is as well your peace.
Most of the times, we seem to go through a lot that can deny us of so many things and sometimes, it creates a deep cut that can easily not be mended as many wounds takes time to heal.
I seem to like your element and language of repitition as it added to the structure of the poem and in this, the poems diction is simple and easy to gulp.
Even the language is low and thats kinda cool. I wish NAPO would have poems like this.
Thanks anyways, hope to review more of your poems.

Emivanz1 says...

Thank you so much! and might I ask, what is napo?

Spearmint says...

Ooh I can answer that! ^-^ NaPo, short for National Poetry Writing Month, is a worldwide event in which people write poetry! The typical goal is 30 poems in 30 days, but here on YWS, you can set your own goals as you'd like, and get badges for your profile too! Here's a link for more info:
2021 NaPo Information Center

And don't worry about the fact that April's already started; you can still participate today by making a thread here! viewforum.php?f=196

I hope you decide to try it!! From your poem, I can tell that you're a wonderful poet already, and maybe NaPo's the perfect thing to help you up your game even more!! ^-^

Emivanz1 says...

thanks so much! I will definitely check it out

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:26 am
EsmerayaRose wrote a review...

Hi, BrokenHeartsAri here for a short review!

This was a relatable poem on my behalf.

I Really love each line, and how the repetition you used really brought it all together.

My favorite Lines are:

"who sometimes feels defeat

who sometimes compiles

her feelings in her chest"

I really enjoyed reading this

My only critique is the last line.

Other than that this was an awesome poem!

Keep up the great work!

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 am
WishIHadASword says...

This is the first thing I've read on here, and I could NOT have picked something better. This is phenomenal and I love the wording and how it's written and the emotion behind it! I think this is so special to me because I too, unfortunately, have a friend (:

Good work!

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:21 am
MapleWay wrote a review...

Hey there! MapleWay here dropping by with a quick review!

This was a very nice and relatable poem. I really liked the repetition you used as well. My favorite two lines were, "so I try to be a good friend to make her feel better." I can feel how much you care for this person and how much you want them to feel better and be ok. The only part I would change in the poem was in these two lines. "I don't know what to say to make her feel better." I would change the two lines to one line looking like this. "I don't know what to say." I think the, "to make her feel better is unnecessary and is just dead wait. But feel completely free to ignore this!

Anyways great poem! Tag me if you do another!

- MapleWay

Emivanz1 says...

Thank you so much!

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:04 am
mordax wrote a review...

Hi there, mordax here! I love your poem and the concept it touches on.

Let's get to it...

I have a friend

who is always cheerful

who is sweet

who always smiles

One thing I felt thrown off by in this section was how it was four lines but the rest are five. I would suggest evening it out for consistency, but if not, that's fine too lol.
I also think you could incorporate a bit more imagery here: describe her smile rather than stating it. Describe the vibrancy of her cheer, the delicacy of her sweetness. It would make the poem all the more engaging.

I have a friend

who sometimes is tearful

who sometimes feels defeat

who sometimes compiles

her feelings in her chest

So, you repeat "who sometimes" three times then switch it right at the end, and it throws off the flow as I read. I would suggest either varying the sentence structure before, or keeping it the same throughout rather than throwing it off in the single line. Also, again I would suggest incorporating some imagery--it can be subtle too, hinting at hiding tears or disappointment marring the vibrancy of their previous cheer.

I have a friend

who I try to help

but I always stutter

I don't know what to say

to make her feel better.

I love this part because it is so relatable. That feeling when you want to help someone but have no idea how and nothing you can say feels good enough or remotely correct. My only suggestion is a repeat of above: a bit more imagery. Especially with the stuttering line.

I have a friend

who is judgmental about herself

so she hurts her health

her muscle tissue is worn and torn.

I love the little rhyme you incorporated here, but the line "judgmental about herself" disrupts the flow you had built. I would suggest rewording it just a bit, such as "who judges herself" or something else.

I have a friend

who sometimes needs help

so I try to talk and laugh with her

so I try to be a good friend

to make her feel better

My only other critique is that I think the last line could have been a bit more powerful. I totally understand the want to make someone feel better, but that want is also a bittersweet one as it conveys the closeness you have with this person but also the darkness they are dealing with that you can't seem to touch. It's such a complex feeling and I think if you last line conveyed it a bit more, it would do more justice to the rest of your poem.

Overall, please take none of these critiques in a negative way! I loved your poem, the message it conveyed, and how relatable it was. You are a wonderful writer and keep it up!

mordax

Emivanz1 says...

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)