A love story I'd like to cite.

by DrFeelGood

She liked him. He liked her.

Marriage seemed like a natural transition.

*

Marriage day became a doomsday for them,

they didn't cite their marriage properly.

*

The marriage bureau sued them,

for citation errors and honor code violation.

The syntax was off, the period was missing,

The author couple's name was not in italics.

*

They didn't cite themselves while using their name,

and got sued again for self plagiarism.

The allegations got worse when their parents sued them.

They didn't cite the original authors of their lives.

*

Complications started arising when they cheated on each other.

The duo had a baby but the mailman claimed his copyright.

*

Pissed and frustrated he was when he heard,

the secretary delivered a baby citing him as the co-author.

*

Heartbroken and betrayed they were, 

with the world's obsession with citations.

*

They jumped off the cliff to end this misery of life.

They were sued by the destiny for not citing it the author of their death. 

Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 am
tgirly wrote a review...

I really like how matter of fact this poem is; I always think that such coolness of description gives an interesting spin to concepts like this that usually require such passion and heat.
If you're going to use the cool cite/citation word play, which I definitely think you should keep because I love it a lot and it's really witty and brings a lot of humor while somehow maintaining the seriousness of the topic, I'd get rid of "citation" from the title, which makes it feel overdone.
Hope this helped! : )

So this kind of cracked me up. I love satire so much *coughcough A Modest Proposal coughcough* but not enough people write it, so thank you for creating this. Can I just say that I hate creating citations? I never realized how muchh trouble I could actually get myself into until my English class this year, when I had to write three essays alongside full MLA citations. That was fun.

Bravo on forming a nice, flowing poem; two line increments was perfect for this. I never would have thought of combining a couple and citations, but you did it really well. I know that this is satire and all that, but if you ever edit this, then I'd say to take away "the" in "by the destiny" because that was too wordy, and that the lines beginning with "pissed and frustrated" would sound a lot less weird as "The secretary was possed and frustrated when he heard..." Same as with "heartbroken and betrayed they were," as passive voice makes this sound kind of awkward.

I don't really have any advice for you, as this was just to poke fun, but good job nonetheless. You got me to laugh some, which I always enjoy, so thanks again.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:59 am
sheysse wrote a review...

Hey there! Shey here for a review!

I will be totally honest... I have no idea what this was about. I've never even been to a wedding, let alone understand how they work, but still. As a poet, it's kind of your duty to make the topic of your poem more clear. Now, leaving some mystery for the reader to interpret is a given. However, there should always be some part of the poem with facts given to the reader, or they won't be able to understand the myteries of it.

However, I enjoyed this poem nontheless. Looking past the parts my lack of knowledge didn't let me understand, it was a deep poem. You have a knack for making the reader feel emotion, which is especially impressive when the reader doesn't know what's going on. So, congrats on that!

My other suggestion is to switch the perspective. You have it told from a third person narrator, which is fine, but if you want people to feel even more emotion when reading, having it told from one member of the couple's perspective would go a long way towards that.

Overall, this was a great poem. I hope I didn't sound to harsh at the begininng, cause I really did like it a lot. Keep up the awesome work, and I look forward to seeing more from you!

DrFeelGood says...

Let me be honest with you, you missed this poem completely. This poem had a very limited readership anyway.

It was not deep in any sense. I was just mocking how the world is obsessed with citations. I mixed exaggerations and created ridiculous scenarios while mocking the citation obsession.

Thanks any ways.

sheysse says...

Oh, my bad. Apologies. :(

Hope that at least I gave somewhat helpful advice for deep poems.

Again, sorry for wasting your time with this review.

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann