z

Young Writers Society



The Left

by Panikos


There she was again. Ronnie had taken to calling her Doc, and Marsha had to admit that the old gal bore more than a fleeting resemblance to Christopher Lloyd. Ropy skin, wrinkles, hair like spun sugar. It was the eyes, mostly. Even from the opposite side of the bar, with the lights making misty patterns of everything, she could pick them out like twin moons.

“Swear to god, she’s staring at me again,” Marsha muttered, fiddling with the microphone.

Ronnie didn’t look up from tuning his guitar strings. “She’s gonna invite you for a spin in the DeLorean.”

“Not a bad idea. Could pop back to 1985 and knock out Thatcher,” Marsha said.

Ronnie laughed, then brushed his fringe out of his eyes and looked up at her. “You ready, then?”

Marsha nodded. She turned her eyes towards the rest of the bar, breathing the nerves away. It wasn’t a busy night, which somehow made it worse. There was a straggly bunch of people outlining the bar, a few groups hunched around tables, a bunch of shifty-footed freshers staring into their ciders. People stared more when it was quiet. She felt it like a weight, like fingers pressed into the dip between her ribs.

The woman’s gaze pressed the hardest. Marsha looked away from it. When Ronnie strummed the first chord, she let the sound ease up through her like steam. Her lips met the mottled surface of the microphone. She closed her eyes and sang.

After, the applause was lukewarm and scattered, but no worse than usual. A song or two later, when the cider had doubtlessly oozed its way in fully, there came a few whoops and whistles from the students. As she bobbed a mock-bow, Marsha folded the memory of the sounds – the downwards swoop of the cheers; the arching keen of the whistles – into the tight corners of her mind. They never preserved as well as pressed flowers did, but she had to try.

When she and Ronnie packed up, they turned invisible. The conversation had risen to a simmer, more than enough to blanket them, and the spell of the music had decayed to nothing more than cases and zips and wires and practicalities, nothing to draw the eye.

Yet the woman still watched.

“I’ll get this lot in the car,” Marsha said, lugging the guitar case onto her back. “I want an OJ in my hand when I come back in.”

“Wow, really going wild tonight,” Ronnie said.

She edged bulkily between the growing crowds, hands weighed down by amps. When she pushed the pub door open with her knee, the cold scraped over her skin, her neck, her face, making her hiss. She hobbled down the pavement, in and out of the streetlamps, breath misting the air in front of her. She put the amps down and scrabbled for the keys, the keys, where were the damn keys-?

“You’ve got a lovely voice,” someone said.

Marsha turned. The old woman stood behind her, glazed orange by the nearest streetlamp. Wind sifted through her caramelised hair, and the shadows made fissures of her wrinkles.

“Sorry?” Marsha asked.

“Your voice. It’s beautiful,” the woman said.

“Oh, well - thank you,” Marsha said. “Sorry, are you…new around here? I’ve seen you in the pub a few times recently.”

“Just visiting,” the woman said. Out here, with the lamplight and the cold and the silence, her eyes were almost cavernous. Almost hungry. “Just wanted to hear a bit of good music.”

Marsha flushed, but the cold stole the heat immediately. “You’re very kind.”

“I mean it,” the woman said. “You’ve got a talent.”

“It’s just a hobby, really- I’m not really-”

“You have a talent,” the woman said again, landing more heavily on the words. “Stick at it. You’ll regret it if you don’t.”

Marsha stood, her chest leaden with awkwardness. “Right, well, I… thank you,” she said. “Sorry, but I think I left my car keys in there, so I better just…”

She picked up the amps and edged past the woman. As she pushed her shoulder to the pub door again, chatter seeping out into the silence, she heard the woman call out.

“What was that?” Marsha asked, turning.

The woman tucked her hands in her fleece. “I said they’re to the left of the stage.”

Marsha frowned. Haltingly, as if her gears were winding down, she eased her way into the heat of the pub and back to where Ronnie was waiting, orange juice in hand. He said something to her, but it was only words, a smear of noise. Her eyes were fixed on the stage. On the left side, jutting out of a tangle of wires, the edge of the car key winked at her.  


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 10

Donate
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 pm
Shootingmoons wrote a review...



Hey! I know that you have done a couple reviews for me, so I'll do one for you. I'm only fourteen, so whatever I tell you is probably something you already know. I am just going to point out the stuff that really caught me.

Let's get to it!


This is actually the first thing I've read by you (I don't get on here a lot), and I really liked it. I loved the description of the ominous woman...

"Ropy skin, wrinkles, hair like spun sugar. It was the eyes, mostly."

And the dialogue after it, it makes me want to know more about this girl and her relationship with the old woman.

I also really liked the description used when Marsha is listening to the people cheer, it really makes you feel like you're living in the moment, which is probably what you were aiming for. The imagery, overall, was really nice because you could see what was happening to Marsha, especially during her encounter with the old woman. Imagery is a nice thing, but you can't drag it out to the point that it becomes old; however, you had a nice balance.

Overall, this was a pretty cool story. I had to think about the ending till I finally got it, haha ;)




Panikos says...


Thank you! :)



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here to review!

The first time I read this, I didn't notice it was a flash fiction, really. I guess its slow pace made me think it was longer; not to mention, there were the introduction, the climax, the ending, the mystery enough for me to think this was a complete short story with a sufficient length. You capture the atmosphere excellently - I can see myself being in the pub and how realistic it's described.

[...] the downwards swoop of the cheers; the arching keen of the whistles [...]


Since these two sentences consist of only subjects, I think comma is better suited than semicolon. Might be wrong, though.

Okay, so I don't have much to say about the story since it's short, but the mysterious old lady got me thinking and coming up with theories relating to time travel. I mean, there are hints scattered throughout the story such as:

- the old lady having the resemblance of Christopher Lloyd, who had acted in a time-traveling movie
- Marsha commenting about going back in time
- the old lady being so sure Marsha will regret it if she doesn't stick with her music, implying the lady knows what will happen to her if she leaves it
- the lady knowing about the key, which I think is something she put on the stage, and which she'll know where to find if she knows Marsha intimately (a bit far-fetched though, this one)

And due to those above, I think the old lady is the future version of Marsha, who has someone knows how to go back in time and warns Marsha to not leave her music. I mean, I can see why Marsha would do that - the audience of the pub isn't really encouraging, though maybe I'm wrong at this when she wants to remember the sounds of them - and how it will only makes things worse. Obviously she has a talent and she needs to focus on that.

So yeah, that's my take on this story! Need to search something for this (Christopher Lloyd, OJ being the short form of orange juice - whut? >.>) but I'm glad when I at least come up with something. Hope this review helps, and keep up the good job! :D




Panikos says...


Thank you! Yes, you pretty much got it bang on - the old woman is the future version of Marsha, though she only knew about the keys because she remembers losing them, if you get what I mean? Also, I think you're right about the semi-colon - thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for the review in general! :D



Lightsong says...


YASSS I GOT IT RIGHT I FEEL SO ACCOMPLISHED! xD

You're welcome. :3



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 am
Radrook says...



Radrook here for a review.

The story captured my attention immediately by introducing the mysterious character of an old woman who resembles the professor in the film Back to the Future and who sits or stands there just silently staring art the two protagonists. Why is she staring? What is she planning to do? Are they in any danger? If so, what kind of danger. As a reader those were the concerns that the description of this old woman engendered and so I read on to find out. the tension mounted as the Marsh walks toward her car with the amplifiers. The cold weather and the time of day add suspense. Then the old woman appears behind her and the tension increases indicating that a resolution to the questions is getting near.

The description of her face seems to indicate that something macabre is about to be revealed. Also the mention cavernous eyes hints at the macabre. She seems to have knowledge of the future and tells Martha that she will regret it if she doesn't pursue her musical career. That concept goes well with her casual statement that she is just visiting.
Her knowledge the exact location of the misplaced keys seems to reinforce that idea.


I think it is an excellent idea and stands as a flash fiction with the potential of a longer story and perhaps even a novel.

Suggestion

Perhaps mentioning Christopher Lloyd and the film Back to the Future, the time machine car and the old woman's physical semblance to him isn't really necessary. The story can stand on its own without that reference. IMHO.




Panikos says...


Thanks for the review! Oddly enough, the Christopher Lloyd reference came to mind without me immediately realising the glaring time-travel connection, but I can completely see your point. Thank you! :)



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 am
Radrook wrote a review...



Unnecessary resubmission.




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:32 pm
Aadya says...



Well written and amazingly descriptive. It does however proceeds a bit slowly. In the last paragraph, line number 2, use "they" were only words. The concept is really interesting! Keep up the good work!




Panikos says...


Thanks! :)




I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood