z

Young Writers Society



Try As I Might To keep It Together, Why Is Recovery Taking Forever

by AutoPilot


This is why I don't write, because when I write I write myself in circles that loop in a never ending cycle. I try hard as I might to write myself out of my head, but I'm caged in here looking out as if through glass. You can see right through glass. You can trust it. But I can see through me, and I don't like what I see.

Inside me is a ghoul, trapped with me in the glass. It's sharp but dull, achy and longing, each time subsiding for shorter and shorter periods. Each time I fight it more vigorously, but each time I'm defeated more thoroughly; I'm forced to sit back and watch as it envelopes me and tears me away from the world. It finally sleeps and I don't know how to find my way back. When your prison is glass you can never be sure where the walls stop and where the winding maze corners make their sharp turns. You stumble against them and have to right yourself before the ghoul takes it's chance.

Each high is higher with a sharper drop, the ride over quickly and the drop not quite lethal. Hard enough to stun, but not hard enough to disappear. The lows drag on, a slow crawl through an obstacle course I just can't seem to find the end to. Never knowing when I'll finish, just focusing on not falling, not flailing, not failing. Resistance is met with equal resistance.

If I write I write in loops, leading back onto themselves and then on to new places. My train of thought races on until it takes a turn too sharp, shattering the glass, releasing the ghoul. An abrupt ending that makes no sense, leaving dissatisfaction all around


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:07 am
View Likes
Iggy says...



ICON FOR HIRE YASSSSS




AutoPilot says...


You got the reference in the title yasss i'm so happy :D



User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 2990
Reviews: 74

Donate
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:57 am
CreativelyWritten wrote a review...



Oh, I really liked this! I have to say if written well I love these types of stories. I was actually getting lost in the few paragraphs you have here. Understanding what it's like to be trapped behind glass or what it feels like to write in endless loops. I've actually wanted to get into this type of writing recently but try as I might I can't write my own thoughts this well.

I love how some of it almost seems to rhyme. So that while it is a monologue it also has a subtle feel of poetry. Example: 'Each high is higher with a sharper drop, the ride over quickly and the drop not quite lethal.' I don't know why but with quickly and lethal it almost seems to go together like a rhyme. And framed around the second use of drop it's just lilting.

In the second line of the second paragraph, I think you meant shorter AND shorter rather than shorter a shorter. If not then forgive me and move on.

Really great story and I hope you consider writing more like this.




AutoPilot says...


Thank you so much! I've been wanting to put this in words for a long time, but it took awhile for me to figure out how. Also thank you for pointing out the 'shorter a shorter' typo, I'll fix that now :)



User avatar


Points: 183
Reviews: 3

Donate
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 am
View Likes
CrimsonAngel wrote a review...



I loved this it was moving and mind opening,a piece that makes you just stop and think not only this but at the same time it was very relatable and a accurate representation on how one can feel another thing is that it was well developed and written. The writting was so vivid and gave wounderful imagery on both visals and emotions.





Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb