z

Young Writers Society



how dare the moon shine

by Arcticus



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 pm
issam says...



you koshur! HEY HEY HEY! Kya haz haala chaala!




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:31 am
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review!

I haven't reviewed your poetry in awhile, so I thought I might as well tonight. So I think this poem is lovely, first of all, but jumping right into the first stanza, I found it interesting that you chose to refrain from using punctuation in the poem, at least in the form of ending sentences.

Also in the first stanza, I'm a little confused as to what the Dal is, but I'm going to assume that it's some form or body of water--it is, I just don't know the location of it. There's an awkward line that runs from line two through line five in the piece:

let me watch, as the day's last breeze hands me the day
This is due to your two usages of the word "day" being so close to each other and if you could find a synonym for it the second time, that would help the flow there.

The couplet that is stanza two gives off a concrete image that helps set up the idea that it's nearing towards dusk. The third stanza is a little repetitive with the word 'fading out' since we've already established the time of day in the poem and I think I would rather focus on other aspects of the poem now.

Perhaps just using a different word other than 'fading' would make for a stronger line there. I learned a word today because of you! Shikarawalas. I've never heard of that one before, but I have now. I like how everyone is slowly going to bed or they're slowly being done for the night and I think the usage of boats is a great way to signify this.

The wording in stanza four is a little odd or awkward with 'the old city' right before 'the silhouettes of sleepy houses' line, but other than that, I think it works. The single 'Home' feels a bit out of place and could use something else to accompany it because I don't think it fits in well with the next stanza.

For stanza five, I'm going to suggest you cut out the 'but', because it's not really that necessary being there, and most of the time words like 'but' or 'because' can often be taken out for a better flow. Same idea with the next stanza though this is a little more iffy. You could leave 'this' as it's own line or you could just take out the 'because' and make it one whole line, though really it's your choice of what you want to do here.

I like stanza seven, though I don't know how I feel about the last line in it. Perhaps you could change it to 'for me to hold onto' or even 'let me hold on to it' since it would smooth out the flow. I like the 'leave me' part of this stanza and the repetition it holds, because it's strong. The last stanza is a little off-putting from the rest of the poem? I suppose it fits, but it's not the ending that I expected or exactly wanted since beforehand you set up this image of quiet and everyone going to bed but that kind of shifted throughout the poem. I suggest playing around with the last stanza so you can see what you can find. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Best wishes,
Kayla.




Arcticus says...


Thanks Kayla, I needed some constructive criticism on this one!

I'm glad you liked it (?)



Virgil says...


I did indeed! <3



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 97
Reviews: 44

Donate
Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:07 am
View Likes
mavisknightley wrote a review...



Hello Autumns,

This piece was elegant and thought provoking. I loved your phrasing, which was almost melodic, and your word choice exhibited a certain grace that appealed to me. It did require some Googling; I was not familiar with a few terms, but I think I got the gist of the message conveyed.

Onto the review!

Firstly, was the #11 part of the piece? If so, I was not sure what this signified.

First Stanza: Your imagery here is strong; it brings a sense of peace. Maybe you could clarify the meaning behind "the day's last breeze hands me the day"? It lends well to the rhythm but its meaning isn't clear. I love that the day is "wrapped in a pashmina shawl, a funeral shroud".

Second Stanza: Beautiful.

Third Stanza: The second line breaks your smooth melodic rhythm a little, for me. Personally, I would try to reword it so that it flows. Thank you also for introducing the word 'shikarawala', which I had not known before reading your poem. It reminded me, at first, of a gondolier which gave an air of hospitality and romanace to this imagery, but after some futher investigation it seems that these are not tourist attractions, but actual homes? They are house boats?

Fourth and Fifth Stanza: "The silhouettes of sleepy houses..." love this.

Sixth and Seventh Stanza: Rhythm is perfect. I would probably change the word 'when' in 'when I'm closest to you' to 'where', just because you describe a place, rather than a time. A niggling sense of darkness begins here, with the speaker admitting this is the place where they feel closest to whoever they are speaking to. It leads a reader to believe that this person is not present. (Which is proven in later stanzas, so good build here.)

Seventh Stanza: I would personally eliminate 'leave me hanging' and instead make it:

"so leave me here
leave me with nothing
but a semblance of you
and let me hold onto it"

To me, this is a smoother read. I sense something of a desperation from the speaker in this stanza, that they cannot let go of this person.

Eighth Stanza: Interesting analogy, "where, where, my blood did you go?" This implies that not only is this person very much a part of the speaker, but that the speaker cannot survive without them. A little romantic and grotesque too, very nice.

Overall, excellent work Autumns! Thank you for sharing this piece, and I hope to see more of you work here of YWS! If I can answer any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Write On,
Mav


Mavis Knightley
www.mavisknightley.weebly.com




Arcticus says...


Thanks for your review!

And yes, a shikara is a type of a boat and shikara-walas are the guys who row them.




"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare