Home » Literary works » Other » General

Darkness

by Amindor

In spaces between the really bright stars and the dim ones, in the dead of the night, is the darkness that surrounds us so. It either gives us a feeling of fear or protection, and either way, it's still enlivening our hearts . In other cases, it captures us into the existence of depression, or it causes our souls to emerge as still and silent. It remits us inspiration to expose our true selves and be who we are. It fires up our inevitable imaginations and unleashes it into the very air we inhale. When light falls and disappears from the sky, darkness is there to replace it. It does many things, but the foremost greatest entity that it forces upon life is that it brings out the brightest stars in the sky, for a star cannot be bright without a little darkness.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:17 am
rissymay wrote a review...

Hello! This is an interesting piece you've written... here's what I think:

It either gives us a feeling of fear or protection-- ok, so I know when I look out at the vastness and the dark spots of the night sky above me, I just marvel at how big the universe is and think about how far everything is away from me. I've never felt a sense of protection looking at the stars, but rather fear (like you said- that was good) of the unknown. I don't know how other people feel- it might just be me- but it's kind of odd, because darkness isn't associated with protection in my mind.

In other cases, it captures us into the existence of depression, or it causes our souls to emerge as still and silent. -- this sentence is very good, and it's very true

It remits us inspiration to expose our true selves and be who we are.-- like I said about protection earlier, darkness has never really made me feel this way. Again, not sure if it's just who I am, or if everyone else also feels this way.

darkness takes over and a portion of nature comes out to greet it. -- I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. Could you explain it a to me more?

It does many things, but the foremost greatest entity that it forces upon life is that it brings out the brightest stars in the sky, for a star cannot be bright without a little darkness.-- I love this last sentence, and it makes this whole thing very real and true for me. Great job- this is the truth of darkness.

I like what you've written here; I am glad I have read it, and you have made me ponder my feelings about darkness. There's just a few small spots that don't make as much sense to me, but overall, you have really good points.
I think you should think about making a poem out of this- it'd be a good one!
Keep writing, and thanks for the read!
-rissymay

Amindor says...

Thank you for the review, and I do apologize for the confusion about it. The fear or protection part- What I meant by that is, you know how some people are afraid of the dark? And sometimes when someone is laying in their bed in the dark, they might feel protected.
"It remits us inspiration to expose our true selves and be who we are."-
Some people are inspired by the darkness, somehow. This also had something to do with the part about bright stars standing out in darkness.

"darkness takes over and a portion of nature comes out to greet it."
This had something to do with night and day, and nocturnal animals. I hated this part because I couldn't put it in good enough words.
Thanks for reviewing, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

rissymay says...

okay that makes sense. Like I said, it could just be my funky brain...

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:25 am
yakitsa wrote a review...

Wow.

This is just..just..beautiful. (I'd put the beautiful in italics but I don't know how, so just imagine it that way)

I loved the last line -

" for a star cannot be bright without a little darkness."

- it's so meaningful!

"It fires up our inevitable imaginations and unleashes it into the very air we inhale."

This line too, was very apt, descriptions like ' inevitable imaginations' and the words 'unleashes' and 'fires up' add to the effect (for some reason)

I enjoyed the way you brought out the beauty in darkness...

I look forward to more from you!

PCA123 says...

Hello Amindor,

Your piece is very poetic, and it brings about emotions that everyone hides. It also makes me think about how there has to be sadness for there to be happiness. It gives the reader an impression of a philosophical piece. I personally would appreciate an example to amplify the effect of your words and make a bigger impact, but that's just my opinion. The last sentence portrays the idea that dark emotions are needed to make a person shine brighter; this gives me the impression that darkness can be beneficial in certain ways. Some of the words are redundant, but it's a small fix. Good job.

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden