z

Young Writers Society



These are the Voyages...

by Alteran


These Are The Voyages….

…Of the YWS Pensword. Its ongoing mission: to critique new stories, To explore new Storybooks, and boldly defend the YWS from Spammers.

“Captains Log, The Pensword has been dispatched to the Chat System after some reports of Spammers. It is unknown at the present as to how powerful theses Spammers are, but the Pensword will surely be more than a match for them.”

As massive as the starship was only about 8 crew were assigned to the ship. It had just left the program when it was drafted into the YWS fleet. Little did its crew know of the trials ahead for them…

Image

“Adam,” said Matt, “We’ve arrived at the coordinates. Sensors aren’t detecting anything.”

“Keep an eye out. Writer, raise the shields and charge all weapons to maximum power.”

“Got it.” Writer hit a number of buttons before receiving the confirmation beep. Everyone was waiting on baited breath. The sensors were negative for now. But the stories people told who had survived the first assault… no one would tell such a tale.

“Something is dropping out of Subspace!” said Matt. The lights began to flash red throughout the ship.

“On screen,” said Adam. The viewer blinked before showing what was before the ship.

Image

“All hands prepare for battle!” The siren blasted through the ship. Everyone scrambled to their stations. The Spammer ship was massive.

“We’re receiving a communication,” said Tina.

“Put it through,” said Adam. A horrid screech echoed through the bridge. Hundreds of voices screaming at once.

“READ MY POEMS!”

“LOW RATES!”

“MEET A SEXY SINGLE TONIGHT!”

TAKE OUR SURVEY!”

“Cut it off!” Tina silenced the intercom.

“The data banks are filling up!” cried Alice, “I don’t want to check my credit score! Delete! Delete! There’s to many of them.”

“Writer, Fire all forward cannons!”

Image

“Alice, Bubbles, Rick, Get to the hanger bay. Launch all fighters.” Adam declared the orders as he tried to maneuver the ship. The Spam mail was slowing everything down. They would be sitting ducks soon.

“Cannons are having almost no effect on the enemy ship! They’re returning fire!” cried Writer

“Brace for impact!” The ship rocked violently as the enemy weapons fire collided with the shields. Matt fell from his post along with several others. “Damn!”

Adam called to Bubbles, Rick and Alice, “Abort the mission. Don’t launch the fighters.” The three had just gotten to the hanger. Bubbles ran to her fighter.

“Bubbles!” cried Alice, “Come back!” The ship shook again knocking Alice and Rick to the ground. Bubbles had already stared up her fighter. She was into space before anyone could stop her.

“A fighter has been launched,” said Matt.

“What!?” said Adam, “Dammit! Keep firing, get me the pilot on the com.”

Image

“Pilot! Return to the ship!”

“No,” said Bubbles.

“Bubbles! You cant take on this ship with a single fighter,” said Writer.

“Just cover me!” the com went dead.

“Damn! Why doesn’t anyone listen to me!” said Adam, slamming his fist on the control panel. “Reroute as much energy as you can to the shields and weapons, Fire at will!”

Image

“Bubbles is flying against the hull of the ship,” said Matt, reading the sensor reports. Her photon cannons are charged, but her targeting computer is off.” Matt opened a channel to the fighter, “Why is your computer off?”

Bubbles hears a funny little voice Use the force

“Ahh!” Bubbles accidentally hits the fire button, the tiny fighter launches its photonic torpedoes…

Image

“Torpedo away,” said Matt. The ship held its breath. Shields were almost gone. The database was overloaded. Viruses had begun to corrupt key systems. It all came down to a single tiny torpedo.

The tiny ball slid into the exhaust of the Spam ship. Deeper and deeper it went until…

“Massive explosions are occurring within the ship!” said Matt. “It’s losing stability.”

“The blast is going to wipe us out,” said Tina. Everything in a 50 KM radius is going to go with it.”

“Bubbles! Get back to the ship.” Adam locked on the transporter to the small fighter. It was closing in on the Pensword.

Image

“Tina, Writer, star clearing the Spam mail and viruses.” Said Adam

“Right,” they said together. The systems were slowly coming back. The ship became faster. The Spam vessel was going to explode at any second. Adam hit the transporter, bringing Bubbles onto the ship.

“Hold on!” The Spam vessel erupted into blast of wave of spiced meat. Billions of tiny, deadly particles of it filled the void of space. Adam hit the warp just as the shockwave reached the rear thrusters.

“Are we…alive?” asked Matt.

“I think so… Bubbles!” Everyone on the bridge ran for the hanger bay. The long hall of the ship seemed to last forever. As most things do when you’re in a hurry.

The fighter sat lopsided in the bay, smoldering from weapon hits. Adam took a step forward followed by everyone else. The cockpit flew open and bubbles leapt out twirling her pitchfork.

The crew swarmed her in a group huggles!

“Cant breath…” she gasped”

They backed off. Adam smacked her in the back of the head. “If you ever do that again I’ll shot you down myself!”

And so the YWS Pensword voyaged on until Rick and Alice destroyed one of the engines. Now she’s being repaired and will be given to the community for further protectorate services. With Nate as the Captain. :)

Coming soon…..

Voyages of the YWS Higwind!!!!

Image


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 198 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:22 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...



Bwahahahah we rock!

I dont think I can crit this properly - I'm not exactly unbiased, given that I'm a character in the thing ahaha. But a couple of minor points:

Everyone was waiting on baited breath.

This should be "with bated breath."

The sensors were negative for now. But the stories people told who had survived the first assault… no one would tell such a tale.

I think what you're trying no say here is:

"The sensors were negative - for now. But no one would make up the sort of stories the survivors had told..."

Or something similar. The point is, the first way doesnt really say that the accounts wouldnt be fictional, just that nobody would tell them, and since they obviously have...heh.

Other than that, a little more length might be nice, expand the story a bit.

Bwahahaha, I'm in a fanfic! **feels happy**




User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 1206
Reviews: 133

Donate
Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 am
Royboy says...



Amazing. Will I be in the YWS Highwind one?





I do not use my siblings as the cleaning equipment.
— Tuckster