Spilling

by Hannah

I mark time on a ruler
and I won't last seven meters.
I won't last.
I am marking centimeters, millimeters, broken branches,
but they are gone more quickly
than I can think the numbers,
than I can touch my fingers
to the tape.

I am always with my finger on pause,
but time goes faster
when my mother sweeps the floors for me.

At a gas station I buy measuring tape
and coffee for the road.

A blue bird breaks 
the kitchen window
with his beak
and sleeps in the sink.

I run water over him
to see when he starts bleeding.

My mother asks if I ever learned to swim.

Six meters, 10 centimeters, 55 millimeters, 26 broken branches.

lovelysayshi says...

Okay, so, I just wanted to say that I really love this poem. I am very curious as to how you came up with this, you are so creative!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 am
Audy wrote a review...

Hannah,

I think this poem does interesting things with imagery. Interesting, because the images seem to have several fragments or parts adrift. I get this with the blue bird, the swimming, and the broken branches - fragments - where I try to make out the connections.

I like the blue bird stanza very much, because out of the whole piece, it's really the more visceral element, and it's the only time our speaker really does any sort of action, when he/she runs water. I almost want to automatically apply a parallel between the bird and her, her and her mother. This connection probably to do with the placements of the stanza - so I applaud you how instead of dealing with time in the so obvious sense of "this is a flashback" we actually do make the connections quite literally from the placement of the stanzas - at least, from what I got out of it.

I mark time on a ruler
and I won't last seven meters.
I won't last.

I love the concept of marking lengths for time, I think that is such a lovely idea. It sets the tone of the poem for me, too. I see a speaker more concerned with distances, where perhaps the getting from A to B, and the there to there is difficult. Or maybe the movement is easy and the concept of time passing is not. For me, it really begs the question between the differences of movement/actions/activities and time. Just how separate are these two?

but they are gone more quickly
than I can think the numbers,
than I can touch my fingers
to the tape.

I like how the first line extends ----------------------------------> out
I only wish
you can pro-
nounce that
more?

Maybe experiment with shortening the other lines?

The constant repetitions, I'm not too sure if I like so much rhythmically, and I'm wondering if it's a tone that you're going for, or why the repetitions exactly. In a poem concerned with distance, it feels more like we're taking one step forward, two steps back... which I suppose may be the point, but I just wish there were a better method to express that?

Like making diction longer, or making the imagery longer, or lines longer. And then shorter. Depending on what you want to express?

This part here though, really does express that struggling with time aspect, as though the speaker is trying to compensate, and I like the struggling - but /again/ the repetitions bring about this helplessness/whiney element to the tone, that I don't like so much.

I am always with my finger on pause,
but time goes faster

Not a fan of this particular stanza, here, it seems as though time is moving backwards -- not faster. It's probably that "when my mother" part that makes it seem as though we're flashing back to a recollection (did you intend for it to be flashing forwards in the present time?)

I do feel like this stanza succeeds in bringing this concept a little more to focus, a little more accessible. Not only is the speaker struggling with time, but so much so, it appears she is still, while others are in motion around her. "sweeps the floor for me" - I want to think like, why is the speaker unable to sweep for herself/himself?

Whatever I say in this review you can prolly ignore, but the ONE thing that gets me every time I read this piece over is that we have two elements here: struggle with time, and preference with distance. And the two are so finely linked, that it muddles the poem for me; is it about time? is it about movement across distance? I want for a more separation of the two? Or if you're gonna focus on one, I prefer the latter.

At a gas station I buy measuring tape
and coffee for the road.

I would have liked this to be the introductory stanza. I can sort of see what you're doing, where time is so misplaced in this piece - is it moving backwards/ backwards and forwards/ where are we in time?

We do get that anachronistic element to it, but anachronism is SO overdone, I would almost rather play with this idea of "distance as time" or "measurement as time" to better get the experience. How many broken branches passed, passing by buildings, or passing by landscaping, and I want to actually feel the movement of getting A to B, and feel the struggle of getting there.

If that makes sense? Like, don't tell me 6 meters, 10 centimeters -- or whatever all at the end, let me experience it. Have it dispersed throughout.

Anyway, I'm interested in knowing your own thoughts behind this piece, as I'm aware I'm prolly missing a few elements, or else over-analyzing minor things, so hit me a message any time.

~ as always, Audy

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:15 am
dogs wrote a review...

Hello Hannah Banana! I'm excited to finally review some excellent work of yours :). Ok to start off I really like this poem, it's short and clever and too the point. I do not like excessively long poems.. although their are a few exceptions but only a very few. You maintain the reader's interests and attention rather brilliantly and I commend you for that. Now on to ze review!

Ok so because this poem is so spot on amazing... I'm gonna have to turn on extra super nit picky mode to find something to complain about. Firstly, I'm usually not a fan of repetition because it's such a risky thing to use without breaking rhythm or losing the readers attention. Of course if used correctly it can be an impressive fighting force, but in this case when you say: "I won't last" twice... I don't think it's adding too much to your writing. I would definitely change one of those to help the flow of your writing.

Now your writing style is interesting and out of the ordinary. I think you use it effectively to represent the age of the child that takes the role of the narrator I believe. Correct me if I'm totally wrong though. However sometimes I think you use it too much and it breaks up the flow, so for example, when you say: "I am always with my finger on pause," I think this would be more effective if you say: "I always have my finger on pause."

I like when you say "to see when he starts bleeding," thats a nice line. Simple but too the point and the rhythm is very consistent.

Now when the mom asks "if I ever leaned to swim" I get a kind of stream of consciousness Mrs. Dalloway sort of feel from that line, I'm not sure why. Or like White Noise, it just seems so random and doesn't really connect to anything. I'm not sure why it's there but it certainly doesn't take anything away from your poem.

Great ending, way to keep it short and too the point. All and all this is a marvelous poem and I love it. You truely are the star person of YWS with your wonderful reviews and magnificent writing. If you ever need a review let me know! Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 am
pletta says...

So this isn't a review but . . . I've read this twice. Once when it said nanometers and once when it said branches. Branches and beaks and blue birds. I'm curious about what inspired this if that's not too forward.

Also, I really like it.

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hi there, Hannah.

You always blow me away with your imagery. This poem is no exception. It's lovely.

There are only a few things that I would consider changing if I were you.

and i won't last seven meters
i won't last

The second line feels redundant right after the first line. The repetition is too close. If you take out this line, I suggest putting a period after "meters." I think it would be fine and wouldn't hurt the poem if you take this line out.

i am marking centimeters, millimeters, nanometers.

Here, the progression is okay, but what would happen if you changed nanometers? What if you measured time in "centimeters, millimeters, and molecules"? (Sorry that's not a very good example. I can't really think of anything else right now) The way it is right now is good, but you can spice it up if you do something a little less expected.

than i can think the numbers,
than i can comprehend.

Again, these two lines feel redundant next to each other. While thinking and comprehending are arguably two different things, their meanings are close enough to each other that one of the lines should be changed or taken out.

i am always with my finger on the pause button,

I don't particularly like the way you've worded this line. Maybe try "my finger always hovers over pause." It scans better.

at a gas station i buy measuring tape
and a coffee for the road.

I love this stanza. It gives such a vivid image with so few words. It seems like you're on a road trip, and after sleeping in your car one night, you stop at a gas station just as the sun is rising. That's the image I get, anyway. My suggestion for change in this stanza is simply to omit the "a" in front of coffee. It makes it sound more like you're buying both measuring tape and coffee for the road. As if you're going to measure the road. Which adds to your whole poem.

Okay, I think you should decide on a single setting for this poem. You jump from home to gas station to home again, and it's really conflicting in my head. I understand why you do it, but perhaps if you go somewhere away from home, you shouldn't go back to the original setting within the poem.

a blue bird breaks
the kitchen window
with his beak
and sleeps in the sink.

I wonder what would happen in this stanza if the bluebird broke through the window with something other than its beak. Try something more abstract, or just add it on to beak. "a blue bird breaks / the kitchen window / with his beak and common sense / and sleeps in the sink" is more interesting than what you've got now.

Altogether, you've got a lovely poem here. I love your writing. Happy poeting!

Hello Hannah!

1. Line two bothers me. It's partly the repetition on line three. There are two ways to use repetition that I will accept. One, you repeat the words exactly but the second use of them gives a different tone or meaning. Or two, you repeat the words inexactly. They are slightly changed and again add something new to the poem. Repetition must add to the poem!

Here's what I want to do with your three lines, please forgive me for wrenching them out of your grasp for a minute:

i mark time on a ruler
that won't last seven metres
i won't last

I would also maybe tweak line three a little as it's not a punchy line or insightful or descriptive or emotive. It builds a nice touch of atmosphere and it's one of those bridges you need, but it could be tweaked, except I don't have any specific example for you there and it's not one that's screaming at me. More of a gentle niggling.

2.

Listy, listy! I like lists in poems, they can do a lot for us, but not when they're an obvious progression. The nanometers in there is nice but I'd like to see you break away from conventional measurements since this isn't something conventional we're measuring. What can you measure life in? There's two ways I can see this line going (apparently today I like two) and I will now stop rambling (haha, yeah right) and tell you about them!

1. You could go the building route. In this list you go for the comedic structure of three, but it doesn't necessarily have to be funny. The idea is to catch your reader off guard. So you list two items that make a neat progression and have another expected progression/ degression. i.e. the one you have! centimetres, millimetres (nanometres). But! Instead of listing that third level, whether you're going up or down, that's when you throw a spanner into the works. List something entirely unrelated that still makes sense. Here it needs to be something tiny as you're going down in size so:

i am marking centimetres, millimetres and a memory box

One trick that's fun is to choose an item that out does your others in syllables. Whether it's going to use more or simply have broken up syllables instead of a run on. Something that sounds different but also blends in! And this can work with anything, it doesn't have to be measurements. You might get:

An elephant, a kangaroo and an alligator purse

Or the line that made me think of this, from the classic poem:

"Out went the doctor| Out went the nurse| Out went the lady with the alligator purse|| Dead said the doctor| Dead said the nurse| Dead said the lady with the alligator purse"

Do not judge me my favourite childhood poems, please! What links these is they're all people but two are professionals and one's an amusing anomaly. My example above this one has two animals and then an object created from animal parts and would make a nicely shocking statement in a nature/ animal themed poem.

But I've quite digressed, I had a second option didn't I?

2. Choose two of these items (instead of all three) and add a line expanding each to flesh them out. Or a few words. Something that will tack some meaning on and make it more than a list.

Of course, it your items are already unusual, you may be able to ignore these rules, but on a general level a list needs to be doing more than listing!

3.
I don't think you need button.

4. I like the imagery in the later stanzas. You're catching my attention now and the use of the abstract and casual tone are beautiful together.

I like this. I seem to have taken a style route with this review, which wasn't entirely intentional. But I like the abstract and how the images play together. I like the theme of counting and I like the voice of your narrator. You really get that childhood essence coming through, even though I imagine they're beyond their childhood years. It's very much that nostalgia touched by childhood innocence, lovely.

But stylistically you've got some stuff that's not doing what it says on the tin. Good look with this! You may ask me three questions (or more). Don't you love my state of mind today ;)

Heather xxx

guineapiggirl wrote a review...

Helloooo! Here to revieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!
Now then. This is a very interesting piece. It took me a second read to get it. I think I've got it. She's sort of running out of time. And water is being poured on her, by her mother? Is she the bluebird. It's very interesting. It's a bit creepy. I really like the opening. And then the ending.
So, bits I particularly like:
i mark time on a ruler
and i won't last seven meters
i won't last
but they are gone more quickly
than i can think the numbers,
than i can comprehend.

a blue bird breaks
the kitchen window
with his beak
and sleeps in the sink.

i run water over him
to see when he starts bleeding.

my mother asks if i ever learned to swim.

six meters, 10 centimeters, 55 millimeters, 126 nanometers.

These bits are absolutely awesome and very good. I really like the way you go back to the measuring time bit at the end. And the first verse is just incredible. And the stuff with the bluebird is really interesting.

I agree with PenguinAttack about the no caps. I don't think it really adds anything and it just distracts by looking a little peculiar. And I agree with them aabout the gas station as well. I don't really understand what the gas station bit is about.

I find the characters interesting and the situation they're in.

In conclusion, this is a very good piece and there is little for me to suggest. It's very creepy and I think it's one of those pieces that is going to stay with me for quite some time.
Sorry for the short review, but there's nothing really wrong with this!

PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hannahbobannah,

You may take my last review before I really, seriously, really have to sleep. I picked this for you to post out of the selection because I, firstly, think it's the best of the poems there. There's a definitive voice here, your narrator says things and means things and even though there is the natural abstract nature to the lines, the blue bird, the water, the swimming, this is focused and organised. I'm now wondering if you wanted me to pick something that was less good, so that you could work hard on what you were constructing. If so, sorry!

This is a bit amazing, the more I read it the more I like it. I love the parallel between the blue bird and the narrator. The title tells us what this is, this is falling down and being collected up again. She is spilling, bleeding and not, like that little blue bird, and she's doing it all in measurements she can be sure of. Her mum sweeps too fast, she asks too many questions, she's too pertinent. I want to say that she asks if the narrator ever learnt to swim because that is when we will see when she starts bleeding. We need the deep roll of the swimming pool - or sliver sting of the sea - to find out what makes our narrator tick.

She can say the numbers, but what do they mean? She doesn't know because her mother is there and waiting, sweeping her under the rug before she can count. Her mother is pouring water over her to see when she'll bleed and not minding, really, if she drowns instead.

All of this said, I am not a fan of no caps. I know it's style and you do it well and here it really does mean, but I don't like how it looks because I'm mean. I should have picked something bad, I’m sorry, I’m running out of comments. I don’t like the mention of the gas station only because it is a gas station and then we’re locked into vernacular and therefore place and time and context becomes something actually important. Nothing else gives away details though, so they’re all set. Why don’t I want details? Because this woman has to be anonymous, like the bird. Just another break in that we’re waiting to see if we have to heal or set free. Don’t let us know which that is, we never want to know, we just want to pour and pour until our own hands are wrinkled and we understand why we ask questions we should already know the answer to.

Thank you for writing this, I love it.
~<3

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller