how do we live like this?

by kingofeli

how can we live in a society where we put a man on trial for his own murder

how can we live in a society where it is acceptable to murder a twelve year old boy

how can we live in a society where killers walk free among us

i don't know how to live in this society and honestly

i am scared.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:47 pm
Love says...

To be honest, seems kinda silly '_' Since when is it acceptable to kill 12 year old boys? Dude, where do you live? :p

Verser says...

XD XD DRAK something tells me you don't live in the U.S XD XD

Love says...

Yeeeeah.... XD

kingofeli says...

Twelve year old Tamir Rice was killed a few weeks ago by a police officer. His death was ruled a homicide and charges are being brought against the police, but it's still disgusting that someone would shoot a twelve year old for any reason.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Wow, this is really deep, I love it, I really hope you keep writing, You are really good at it. But yeah, all I can say is wow. But remember, our scars remind us that the past is real.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here

I am reviewing this solely on what you have in front of me, since I have no knowledge of the circumstances and murders you talk about. But murders and horrible things happen every day, so I am sure what you're talking about can be seen as more of a wide picture then just the cropped and zoomed picture of what you're giving us - more focused on an individual case than that of the many.

To me, this as a poem is almost nonexistent. The only thing that gave this a flow and said it was poetry was that you had the repetition throughout the first three lines. Besides that, if you just put this together as a comment or a super short article, it wouldn't have any poetic lines or meanings or flow.

This needs to be thought about, and each question you're asking, provide some image for the reader to grasp. So many aspects of poetry dwell on the picture we create in our minds, and what we see while we read your poem. As far as giving me something to grasp image-wise, you gave me pretty much nothing. And this topic you're addressing is not only emotional and powerful, but think about it: You're talking murder and killers walking among us in the free. There are so many emotion and picture-building words you could have added to this poem, to make it more. The emotions fell flat since all you said was the bare minimum, almost like you had a word limit - like "only so many words for this poem". Your message won't be worth as much to your reader if it doesn't evoke any emotion or pictures for them to grab hold of. So you're scared? That is one idea you could really utilize to make this poem have more power. Your readers want to know how you're scared. Basically, you told us everything in this poem, and you didn't show us even one thing. Try to show more, especially in poetry. Because beautiful descriptions not only make your readers swoon and cry (;_;), but it adds life and a backbone to your piece. Makes it whole.

where we put a man on trial for his own murder

I am so confused with this line. >.< Perhaps it's just my ignorance of the specific story you're talking about, but this line told me "we put a man who committed suicide on trial". Which, uh, doesn't sounds really seem like what you'd try to tell a reader. And seems rather silly to put a dead man on trial, anyway. I will assume you meant something else. I would try and make that line clearer.

i don't know how to live in this society

This is another confusing line. >.< It almost seemed like you are asking the reader how to live in today's society, like what clothes to wear and what is best brand of toothpaste... and I don't think that you meant that at all. And if you did, um, well. xD I think you meant more of how I can live in this society, which seems to fit the piece better. At least, to me.

So basically, this piece just needs some editing and revisions. The message you're putting across to your readers is good, and something that should be said. And thank you for putting it out there. But it needs work to make it more, well, poetic, I suppose. I am sorry if I come out as harsh. My intention is not to beat you up, or your piece. Just to leave something that can hopefully help shape this poem, and send your message with more clarity and emotion.

Hope this helped. Feel free to ask more questions or whatever. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. :3
~Darth Timmyjake

kingofeli says...

Thank you very much, it was written in a moment of upset so I may not have gotten the point across well.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:34 am
veeren says...

as a poem, this is meh
as a message, you couldnt be more right

Skydreamer says...

I don't think I've agreed with Veers more on anything else. So. True.

kingofeli says...

Yeah I realize now that the poem isn't so great x.x

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:51 am
Poopsie says...

lets put this on the spotlight shall we?

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 am
emeraldfox wrote a review...

This is a great poem for many reasons. First of all, it deals with current trials that have been showing that America's judicial system doesn't value the citizens that it protects as much as it should and lets police officers literally get away with murder. I liked how you didn't come right out and say what the cases were but made the poem so understandable that everyone knew. Even though this poem was very simple, it gave a lot of emotion that many people here are feeling right now. Worry, confusion, fright, and disbelief are all common emotions that we feel when we hear about these cases and you captured them all in only five lines. You didn't have any spelling errors or unintentional grammar, capitalization, and punctuation errors. This had a great meter and flow to it, as well. Great job on this! I don't have any corrections! I really like your writing style and I enjoy reading and reviewing your pieces. Keep them coming, Eli!

Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:36 am
Rascalover wrote a review...

Hi!

Thanks so much for requesting a review! This is a short piece, but here are the few nitpicks I found:

The lack of punctuation and capitalization takes away from your poetry. It distracts away from the message. Try running through and capitalizing at least the word I.

I feel as though this is just a declaration instead of a poem. Where is the story? I feel like this could be much more pronounced and contain more controversy if the whole story was here and it was a little longer, containing more of your opinion oh how and why killers walk free among us. Maybe make it a short story instead?

I really enjoyed the way this is heading because it causes people to think, and I think with a little elbow grease this could be a superb piece of work! If you have any questions please ask!

xoxo,
Rascalover

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:42 am
ilovegeeks wrote a review...

First: I didn't see any mistakes besides your 2 I's at the end aren't capitalized.

Second: I like this a lot! You really showed your opinion in how todays society is and it is very true! Poetry is a very good way to get your feelings out, and you did very well! I'd like to here more on your opinion if you ever get to it!

AMAZING WORK:)

kingofeli says...

No capitalization was the intent in this poem ^^ otherwise thank you very much for this kind review!

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:24 am
Vivian wrote a review...

Okay, I just started crying because I've been following all these cases and you've made what I see as the only point. This society has a long way to go before anyone can really feel okay with the police when things like this happen. Thank you for bringing this topic up, it can't be swept under the rug anymore. Your feelings have been heard, and I pray the government hears it too.

Nitpicks: Capitalization, Question marks at the end of the first three lines.

Great poem, I loved it. It perfectly describes America's situation right now.

kingofeli says...

Again, I did do this in the style similar to ee cummings with no/little capitalization ^^ so it's meant to be like that. Ah, sorry for making you cry though! I'm glad you enjoyed the poem!

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott