z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

On Birthdays

by niteowl


Every year a new story is written.

Last year's draft is now a memory,
fading like the paper of old newspapers.

Some characters stick around and grow with you,
while others find a new page to live on.

The genre might even change--
comedies become tragedies,
fragile romances are torn apart,
dreams flicker out like the candles on a birthday cake.

But time turns fresh pages,
new chances to resolve old plots
and start new journeys.

Your story may not be easy,
but it will be worth living.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 49

Donate
Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:31 am
thehotinpsychotic wrote a review...



I enjoyed this quite a bit. There's really clever analogies relating our lives to a newspaper. I don't really have any suggestions, but I just really enjoyed the parts where it mentions the genre changing. This poem is really oddly comforting. Maybe at the beginning add more reassurance that the past is over? Whatever, it was really good, keep writing!




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:39 am
Eldritch wrote a review...



Wonderful! Very nicely written, no doubt. I really loved this one! Really I did! It has been a pretty long time I've done any review, so I forgot to review....
Anyway, the whole poem is good so no space for criticism. The using of punctuation is very good also. And,

This poem has everything in it. You can be nostalgic or something but again you can be motivated and recharged for what's coming next! Thanks for putting positive strength into it. It's a worth reading.

Thank you very much and I'd love to say like you as well,

"Your story may not be easy, 
but it will be worth living."

good luck! :)




Random avatar

Points: 684
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:20 am
Percybeth wrote a review...



Niteowl,

This was sweet and short and cute. I liked the optimism, since many people like to write tragic poems, because it's easier. So I appalaud and thank you for the positivity!

It was funny how you said "genres might even change" because in my opinion, I didn't think this fit well under lyrical. I think just poetry: realistic, general, sounds good, but it's all up to you!

So I really really like the writing theme! I mean, drafts, character, plots, genres, pages, it all sounded super great together! Awesome theme to use for your topic choice.

I can't decide if you should change your very last word to "reading" instead or maybe "writing". I'm only thinking of the change so then it's more metaphorical. I mean, you can keep what you have if you want, of course. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Fab job on this!

Keep expressing.

-percybeth




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 30

Donate
Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:28 pm
musicandme says...



I love this poem! It's short, but straight to the point. You used real emotions there not just rhyming words. I think everyone could learn a lesson from this work. It's really meaningful. I think everyone could learn a lesson, no matter what age.




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 1317
Reviews: 31

Donate
Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:52 am
gv7233 wrote a review...



This is just amazing. All the things you have said on your poem were true. Every year we go through tough times and good times and those are the memories that we will carry in our life forever. Those good and bad things are the ones that we will forever recall into our prolific brains and learn from those mistakes that we have made or repeat the good things that we have done in our past. I love the overall poem. It was just great and fantastic. The end was a really great conclusion of all the details. It perfectly fits the beginning of the poem. In addition, I also love that you brought up this topic into your poem. It is touching because now (as I read it), I came to the point in which I imagined my future would become and remembering my childhood or my teenage life that I had in which I will probably be both sad and happy as I said goodbye to the good times and be happy that I can still remember the good times that I had in life. I am certain that people who will read your poem will feel the same thing as I feel and imagine the same thing that I imagined. Again, you did great and keep up your fabulous work!





Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica