z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

these threads were destined to unravel

by niteowl


they were born as two,
seeking comfort and warmth,  
enmeshed in the fibers of the other.

in floods and fires they scream
promise me we'll find each other at the end,
but after drowning and burning they wait
in time they cannot measure.

one by one they are laid out.
watching their friends roll into each other,
their unity renewed another day.

but none left are   
the right color, the right size.
no one fits for them.

they are swept together,
a mismatched pile of mourners,
kept just warm enough to wait
for the next load. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 620
Reviews: 170

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:19 pm
yubbies21 wrote a review...



Hi there niteowl :)

This is really deep. Never had I ever thought about the profound feelings of forgotten socks. This has changed me deep inside, in a place where no other words could reach ;)

I really liked the imagery used in this poem. Line four I had to think about for a minute, before I realized the parallel to the washing machine where they would drown and the drying machine where they would burn. (I hate drying machines. They scare me for some reason. Probably because I got stuck in one once and my meanie sister shut the door.)

in floods and fires they scream


I liked how in line five, I was reminded of how turbulent in must be inside the washing and drying machines. It would be difficult to find your match inside there. I'm so glad that god made me a person and not an item of laundry.

promise me we'll find each other at the end,


However. There is always a however.

I wish that this poem went even deeper inside the profoundness of life and talked about how, even though they must endure this horrible struggle in their lives, they come out a better (cleaner) person in the end.

This is an excellent poem. I haven't read such a great poem that I really liked in a very long time. I can't wait to read more of your work in the future, and possibly read a later version of this poem if you choose to revise it?

Happy Review Day! Paint The Roses Red,

yubbies21




User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:31 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox wrote a review...



Niteowl, what impresses me most about this poem is how you took something simple (a pair of socks), and made it into an epic poem that communicates a lot of feelings and emotions, and also correlates to real life. You have done excellent, and I'm amazed by your style and the amount of work you put into this. Great job!

The stanzas are beautiful, and the conception and development of your ideas is ingenious. The first stanza introduced us to the pair of socks, but it also seems to suggest something similar, like a couple in real life, or perhaps siblings (I should know, because my older brother is my twin brother.) Your usage of words is fantastic, and I can picture these two enmeshed with each other and entwined. The second stanza was vibrant and provided a clear picture. When you refer to water and fire, are you referring to the washing machine and the dryer? That's the image that I got when I read the stanza, but it also reminds me of external forces and conflicts that sometimes separates couples and friends, and how they hope to see each other when all is done. However, sometimes, they do not meet each other again, or, as you state, "wait/in time they cannot measure."

The last two stanzas, though, left the most powerful impact on me. Describing what happens to the socks over time (but none left are/the right color, the right size/no one fits for them), is quite the tragedy, displaying how, over time, these pairs of socks no longer fit or serve any usage. They are abandoned (they are swept together/a mismatched pile of mourners) and left alone. It reminds me of how those couples sometimes end up being distanced from the majority of society and left alone (kept just warm enough to wait/for the next load.) Your poem is full of meanings, emotions, and all kinds of sensations, and I am impressed by what you have created.

In conclusion, I am amazed by the events that you describe in the poem. The poem is meaningful, captivating, and thoughtful, and you made a beautiful poem. The meaning of the poem is glorious, and I find no errors or inconsistencies anywhere in the poem. Excellent job, niteowl! This is amazing!




niteowl says...


Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you found so much meaning in this!

Just so you know, your comment posted twice. I deleted the one that wasn't marked as a review, so it shouldn't effect points or anything.

Thanks again! :)



User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:28 am
View Likes
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello Tuesday here for a review. i like to begin that this poem has a wonderful theme or meaning behind it (kinda have to read between the lines to get it) also how you used lowercase letters to give an effect to the reader reading this. Plus this poem could somewhat relate to people since most of the people in this world don't fit in as much as they hope to; everyone was a different person and everyone doesn't fit into one slot or something. Yet when someone decides that they want to go into a different group, thread or wars could begin.

Nitpick(s):

but none left are
this stanza kinda confuses me and doesn't make little sense to mean since i feel like it is worded wrong. Maybe changed most of the words to something that the reader could understand but somehow -none doesn't seem to fit the stanza. [/b] but there are none left [/b] or something similar.

their unity renewed another day.
for this stanza i would add an comma after i read more of this stanza, i realize that you meant it as dramatic. [b] their unity renewed, another day[/quote] but since it would look the same without the comma, it would make more of an sense to add the comma to it.

This poem kinda reminds me of two people burying dead people (which could be their friends) and one after one, they start to get more loads and more until they have to wait for tomorrow when the next load will come in. Also I would say that I enjoy the lowercase letters in the beginning of this poem since it gives it effect by what you have wrote like most famous poets do. Also I would think that this is an free verse poem since there isn't much rhyme throughout this poem which is great since most people cannot do that well.

Farewell,
Tuesday




User avatar


Points: 1273
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:48 am
Birdy says...



I agree with the previous post. I liked this poem because it was unique, different. It had a decent ring to it, despite not rhyming. The pace was great. Even better that it doesn't have any crazy grammar/spelling mistakes.




User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:04 am
ChloelovesJesus says...



I think this poem is really good. I usually don't care for poetry but this one was different. It was funny. I recommend this.





Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau